Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How long does Robinson get?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Twoshats obviously really doesnt give 2shits about Charlton and the dumb lying Bitch he employs to take the heat off him is noly CEO to do that - nothing more. Roland is past caring. Just wish he'd let go.
  • Options

I don't buy this KR not doing the team work and that its all Barker. Barker has managed himself and wouldn't follow Robinson if he didn't respect and want to work with him again.

KR inherited a demoralised inadequate squad with problems on the playing side
    and club in general.

It ridiculous that we should be talking about him going. Give him the support in the transfer window and I think he will slowly turn it around.

The club is a footballing joke and us fans are rapidly following suit with nonsense like this.

Did he? "Inadequate" I'll agree. I don't think Slade was great but he had done some basic things right. So far things have got sharply worse since Robinson arrived. He could easily go his first seven games without a win - entering Parkinson 2008 territory.

I read a comment on the MK Dons forum when we appointed him, something along the lines of "God help Charlton if they don't have the payers to play 4-2-3-1".

Seems pretty accurate so far.

Slade cobbled together a squad of players that basically in the main were not up to the rigours of league one football. Setting out the season with a central midfield like ours was madness. Add to that the negative tactics and we were poor. My belief is that Robinson wants and plays his teams in a way that suits hardly any of our existing squad. He was never going to make 4-2-3-1 work with what we currently have. Our players have no energy and always look sluggish to me. ( with a few exceptions) Robinson should be judged on what he does next month and I believe in the summer. We are going nowhere this season. If at this point next year we are still frankly shite then we really are in trouble.

For what it's worth I think Robinson will turn it around but not in time for this years playoffs.

• Options
    Personally I believe that Robinson will turn if round and that his is such a poor division we may still make the playoffs. That is of course as long as he is given the financial backing required and allowed to get on with the job.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

I don't buy this KR not doing the team work and that its all Barker. Barker has managed himself and wouldn't follow Robinson if he didn't respect and want to work with him again.

and club in general.

It ridiculous that we should be talking about him going. Give him the support in the transfer window and I think he will slowly turn it around.

The club is a footballing joke and us fans are rapidly following suit with nonsense like this.

Did he? "Inadequate" I'll agree. I don't think Slade was great but he had done some basic things right. So far things have got sharply worse since Robinson arrived. He could easily go his first seven games without a win - entering Parkinson 2008 territory.

I read a comment on the MK Dons forum when we appointed him, something along the lines of "God help Charlton if they don't have the payers to play 4-2-3-1".

Slade cobbled together a squad of players that basically in the main were not up to the rigours of league one football. Setting out the season with a central midfield like ours was madness. Add to that the negative tactics and we were poor. My belief is that Robinson wants and plays his teams in a way that suits hardly any of our existing squad. He was never going to make 4-2-3-1 work with what we currently have. Our players have no energy and always look sluggish to me. ( with a few exceptions) Robinson should be judged on what he does next month and I believe in the summer. We are going nowhere this season. If at this point next year we are still frankly shite then we really are in trouble.

For what it's worth I think Robinson will turn it around but not in time for this years playoffs.

I agree, KR is trying to play his style of football rather than playing to the strengths of our squad, which I think Slade was doing but obviously this failed aswell. To me it looks like KR is trying a more attacking style, which requires players to be fast and fitter, which we dont have. For this to be sucessfull requires a complete overhaul, which is unlikely to happen in this transfer window and can only be done in the summer, when it will be too late for him!
  • Options
    edited December 2016

I have been very critical of Robinson, in fact I have used his appearance and his manner of speech to ridicule him. Unfair, he's just trying to make a living the best way he can, he is what he is and should be judged on that alone.
    Truth is that he's a poor manager and should never have been appointed, whatever worked for him and his owner at MKD is not gonna work here.
    Meire is totally to blame for the appointment, proof that she knows nothing about how football is played even though she might have the economics and cash flow patterns down pat. If someone like me could see that Robinson was an accident waiting to happen, then .....

Our squad need a reality check, a rabble rouser as a manager, we're too soft, too fragile, last night we were just out-bottled and outfought, nothing to do with skill or patterns of play. Cosy individual chats will make the situation worse, will cause confusion and possible dissent. What's needed is a whole squad meeting where the truth can be told, where the players can get at each other's throats if necessary. We have a pile of injuries yes .. but, as examples, weakened teams got a big win at Bristol and a point at Bradford, we beat the division leaders, albeit in the cup. It's not who is playing it's HOW and WHY they are playing. Nugent seemed to be able to get that across, alas poor Robinson .. I don't think he's able to walk, let alone run, as well as he talks .. a great pity for our club .. I fear we're stuck with him for at least the rest of the season .. I can forgive poor patterns of play, poor selections, poor tactics, but I (and we all) can't forgive lack of effort and tenacity, the current squad, even the toughest are falling into bad ways, and this is a managerial fault.
    I await with anticipation to see who arrives in the next transfer window

Final paragraph Lincs, are we talking players or managers?!
    good point Gazza ((:>) .. I just cannot believe that Robbo will be sacked .. it's a matter of
    Duchatelet/Meire saving face .. injuries and demonstrations will be used as excuses to offset on the field failure. We are stuck with Robbo, chat, grin and tactics, hook, line and sinker.

I've written above THIS IS THE 3RD STRATA IN ENGLAND .. save the 4231/5311/3511/343, what the f**k ever to the big, clever boys ..Leicester won the title playing 442, nuff said ..

I don't see where we are gonna pick up the players to make a difference .. I like Carruthers and Potter at MKD, however neither are world beaters .. Robinson has some decent talent at his disposal NOW, he just needs to use it properly .. last night watching Tex, Bauer, Magennis, Fox et al stumbling about was nightmareish .. he needs to get them playing decent, aggressive, competitive football and forget about the fancy theory.
    Last mini rant (for now) .. I don't know a lot about too many players .. I pray that Robinson and his scouts/advisers/coaches have a few gems in mind to bring in who I know little or nothing about to get us playing at the very least winning football and with a chance of 'glory' ..
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Problem is we keep appointing managers who bring in their own kind of players only for the manager to be moved on and their successor is then left with the remnants plus players who would not be their choice to fit their style. Until we stick with a manager this cycle will just continue.

Exactly, @mogodon .

Is it any wonder that the current squad of players is completely disillusioned & fed up to the back teeth with their management. IMHO, NO-ONE in a red shirt last night looked as though he wanted to be there. And can you blame them ?

Makes me question how keen the currently injured lads are to get back their full fitness......

Nightmeire situation at our club.
  • Options

mogodon said:

Problem is we keep appointing managers who bring in their own kind of players only for the manager to be moved on and their successor is then left with the remnants plus players who would not be their choice to fit their style. Until we stick with a manager this cycle will just continue.

Exactly, @mogodon .

Is it any wonder that the current squad of players is completely disillusioned & fed up to the back teeth with their management. IMHO, NO-ONE in a red shirt last night looked as though he wanted to be there. And can you blame them ?

Makes me question how keen the currently injured lads are to get back their full fitness......

Nightmeire situation at our club.
    very perceptive FF .. and I fear, very close to the truth
  • Options

and club in general.

"In the main not up to the rigours of League One football"? Most of the signings had played League One football or better recently - Ajose, Novak, Pearce, Crofts, Foley, Rudd, Chicksen - I'd accept that Crofts and Foley are at the end of their careers, but they were obvious additions to fill gas because they were cheap and short term. Holmes hadn't, but is up to it. Magennis is fine. Slade couldn't do much about the players already contracted, including the youth element, especially since the senior players are in some cases overpaid (making them difficult to move on) and the younger ones are in some cases on deals that are imprudently long. That's Katrien's handiwork.

It's as crazy to think this was Slade's preferred squad as it is to think that Powell didn't have reasonable plans to improve the team in 2012 & 2013 which the board couldn't or wouldn't accommodate. I'm sure Slade was quite well aware the midfield wasn't good enough, which is why he was trying to strengthen it until the last day of the transfer window.

For all Slade's actual shortcomings, Robinson has made matters worse and the team has gone backwards. He may or may not have the ability to do better with his own choice of players, but it is by no means guaranteed that he will get that given Slade's recruitment experience.
    I take your point and perhaps I made mine poorly. By not up to the rigours of league one football I meant that the players we have are slow or slow and old in the engine room of the team. They are being bossed week in week out by every team we play. Whether by design or something else Slade left us horribly deficient and to boot set up to bore the arse off everyone. He was negative and regardless of the other issues would drive fans away. In my opinion he had to go.
    Robinson has to be given a chance to stamp himself on the squad given that how he wants to play. I do agree that it remains to be seen just how much support he gets.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Milton Keynes Dons 10 May 2010 23 October 2016 346 147 81 118 42.5 [19]
    Charlton Athletic 28 November 2016 Present 5 0 2 3 0.0

I would assume it took a while for him to get MKD playing his way too.

In his first season with them, they finished 5th. He did however, have the pre season to get his ideas across and bring in players he wanted
  • Options

I have been very critical of Robinson, in fact I have used his appearance and his manner of speech to ridicule him. Unfair, he's just trying to make a living the best way he can, he is what he is and should be judged on that alone.
    Truth is that he's a poor manager and should never have been appointed, whatever worked for him and his owner at MKD is not gonna work here.
    Meire is totally to blame for the appointment, proof that she knows nothing about how football is played even though she might have the economics and cash flow patterns down pat. If someone like me could see that Robinson was an accident waiting to happen, then .....

Our squad need a reality check, a rabble rouser as a manager, we're too soft, too fragile, last night we were just out-bottled and outfought, nothing to do with skill or patterns of play. Cosy individual chats will make the situation worse, will cause confusion and possible dissent. What's needed is a whole squad meeting where the truth can be told, where the players can get at each other's throats if necessary. We have a pile of injuries yes .. but, as examples, weakened teams got a big win at Bristol and a point at Bradford, we beat the division leaders, albeit in the cup. It's not who is playing it's HOW and WHY they are playing. Nugent seemed to be able to get that across, alas poor Robinson .. I don't think he's able to walk, let alone run, as well as he talks .. a great pity for our club .. I fear we're stuck with him for at least the rest of the season .. I can forgive poor patterns of play, poor selections, poor tactics, but I (and we all) can't forgive lack of effort and tenacity, the current squad, even the toughest are falling into bad ways, and this is a managerial fault.

This fella would sort em out Lincs!!

Warning: This clip contains strong language. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDIMWpcKqI

• Options
    Only time will tell (the January window) to see if Robinson can start to turn things around. Somehow, I have my doubts. He did ok at MKDons but he talks a good game and I think he likes to try and 'blag' his way through. Unfortunately, it's the performances and results on the field that count and blagging will only take you so far. His comments about the Premier League in 3 or 4 years are, quite frankly, ridiculous and show you for what he is. It's all very well having goals to aim at but surely it's better to keep them to yourself but slowly aim towards them by actions.

We are stuck with him though (more accurately, stuck with Douche). We do need stability but, unfortunately, the real problem is Douche and until that changes I can't see anything else changing. One can live in hope though but that's all that's left it appears. Let's keep the pressure on Douche, at least we can do that.
  • Options

lol .. no room for misunderstanding there
  • Options

He (John Sitton) was on Talk Sport last week plugging his book. He is now a cabbie in London. He was saying how this, and his other rants, pretty much ruined his career in managing/coaching and took him to the depths. He was clearly very knowledgeable and it was a a real good listen.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Could not agree more. It is why we need a Director of football; or rather, why Rolly does. We need someone doing more long term planning than just 6 months max.
  • Options

The likes of KR or Fraeye, or Luzon, are not the type of manager that we need. We need an older head, an organiser who commands respect. A Pulis, an Allardyce, Warnock, or dare I say Curbs. The problem is no such manager would touch us with a barge pole. Slade was the nearest we got, but his record has never been up to much anyway. The only type of manager we'll attract is a young compliant type, who will be happy to do as he's told, and put up with the bullshit in return for a decent salary. We are where we are because we lack quality, aside from Lookman in flashes. I've yet to see Holmes live, but from what I witnessed v Peterborough and from what I've seen of us on TV, there is a dreadful lack of quality throughout the team. Even Bauer and Tex have looked nowhere near as good as I expected.

Too right, we don't need managers who are totally unsuited to football management!
  • Options
    The present squad is good enough, by the standards of the other clubs at this level, to have us top 6 or at least in with a chance of top 6. My view is only a couple of minor changes are needed in January - it's really up to Robinson and having another massive clear out could be catastrophic.

I wasn't at the game last night - heading home for Xmas - but followed it on line during my journey. Sounds like Saturday.......we were ok in patches but didn't really turn up and certainly not for 90 minutes despite having ok players out there. It's another match thrown away that should at least have been a draw. In fact, that's what we've been doing since September 2015, whoever we've had in the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He (John Sitton) was on Talk Sport last week plugging his book. He is now a cabbie in London. He was saying how this, and his other rants, pretty much ruined his career in managing/coaching and took him to the depths. He was clearly very knowledgeable and it was a a real good listen.
    Books on my Christmas list.

I think he said on talksport that he got knocked back for the Charlton youth coach job because of it.
  • Options

mogodon said:

Sadly I don't think this is the case. Sure we have had managers that oversaw the signing of players but I'm not sure that many of the players signed since Jan 2014 were the kind of players that the manager (at the time) wanted. I think they were the players that RD and his scouts decided we needed and/or the players that KM was able to arrange deals for.

I do think that Slade was allowed to sign a couple of players that he wanted but, clearly, not a squad capable of achieving the minimum target that RD and KM set for him.

So what I think will happen, and maybe there are signs of this already, is that the budget will be allocated on the basis of what KM/RD wants and then Drysden (or whomever) will pick the players that fit the budget.

I'd go as far as to suggest that the reason we've had so many managers (sacked) is that they are just not able to achieve the results needed with the players they are 'given'.

The change in attitude from Robinson from, virtually, exploding with excitement after the youth players showing at MK Dons to sounding like he'd just heard that he's wife had left him in the interview before the Millwall game suggests (to me) that someone had 'adjusted' his expectations of what managing Charlton was going to be like.
    Perhaps his due diligence was rushed in his eagerness to take on a famous London club .
  • Options

Proving Roland's right English managers are shit better with foreign coaches. He might get 6 more games.
    I'd like rowett. Hopefully he can fake a foreign accent at his interview

Even with Rowett, the outcome would be the same.
  • Options
    The cracks are already showing. The man who a month ago was singing Meire and Duchatalet's praises and saying he wanted to meet fans is now sticking his head in the sand and feigning ignorance of his bosses comments about those same fans ("I don’t even know what his comments were. Sometimes you’re best to plead the fifth and immerse yourself in your job").

Not exactly honest off the pitch and seemingly unable to work any magic on it. The next few months will be fun.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

mogodon said:

Could not agree more. It is why we need a Director of football; or rather, why Rolly does. We need someone doing more long term planning than just 6 months max.
    Raises the old question of how much independence the manager gets and how much tinkering is done behind the scenes. It seems increasingly unlikely that the woefully inexperienced Chris O'Loughlin was brought in as he was - days before Robinson was appointed - to be anything other than a channel from Duchatalet to the new manager. There is no other logical explanation for his being retained until the end of the season. All the managers will say what they think their boss wants to hear or what he tells them to say. They are employees who are there to earn an income. None of them come to a club like ours in the mess it is in for anything other than a pay day when they are out of work.
  • Options
    Going back to that word.

STABILITY.

Question, did Slade know he was off out before the Swindon game? I wonder if so. It was obviously a terrible game....but at the time, was also a one off. We won only a number of days earlier.

Was a very poor game.

Curbs had loads of under par Charlton managing performances. Didn't mean he deserved the sack.

Curbs is a million times better then Slade.....but the Swindon game may not have necessarily meant that the team under the Slade could never come back from it.

Probably would have picked us up to some degree.

Slade, certainly not the best manager for us.

Maybe we should have just stuck with him at the time.

Now we are starting again, with a completely new attempted style of play with not enough players.

A thin squad - and now with injuries.

Slades football was obviously not much of a joy to watch...but look what's happened now. Possibly even worse

The managers keep changing, the players are restless an don't know what the f*cks going on....probably

Thinking "what's the point, KR will be gone soon anyway".

It's not the managers fault...it's the f*cking regimes fault.

Sack sack sack sack sack sack sack sack

The irrationality of Roland

He just thinks....bad form, instant, sack manager, magic wand. I've done my job.

Guy Luzon was hopeless, may not all his fault, but it was very clear he couldn't pick the team up out the hole it fell in. fraeye was hopeless, deserved the sack before he was even born.

• Options

I agree with you Lincs. One to one meetings will probably need to mistrust with the other players.
    I cannot say I am impressed with his management style to date.
  • Options
    He'll be ok when he learns how to speak English.
  • Options
    I don't rate Robinson. Never have. Think he's smug and over-hyped.
  • Options
    Things looked to be turning when Riga kept us up, they kicked him out. Things looked to be improving under Nugent, but instead of letting him continue as caretaker or interim, they replaced him. They are hopeless, clueless, clowns who always make the wrong choice. Normal people would be embarrassed at such ineptitude, not these fools!