Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Sheff U - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:

can anyone who was there today answer this question:

Have Sheffield United come good?

ish ((:>)
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Don't agree that Lookman is petulant at all. Doesn't sulk or strop despite being kicked on and off the ball. Doesn't have a go at his pretty dire midfield colleagues despite their lack of ingenuity.
    Seems to me to be pretty levelheaded to be honest. I say enjoy his talent while we can as when he goes where will our pace, skill and threat come from?

I wouldn't have blamed Lookman's if he threw a strop today. He got the shit kicked out of him by a cynical Sheff U side and had little protection from the ref. I thought he did alright today. I think he'd be better playing up top with Magennis though. His crossing can be a bit shonky but he knows where the goal is
  • Options

Interesting comments by Wilder

United scraped narrow wins against 9 men in their previous 2 matches, their midweek winner was in the 3rd minute of extra time. Coincidentally the same time as our equaliser today!
    I think Wilder is right on the money .. it's an honest assessment of his and our team's relative performances .. Blades should have won this .. what he didn't say and (in my opinion) as I wrote above, what cost them was their cynicism and time wasting .. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us both in the Championship next season
  • Options
    Real poor decision making from our back four for most of the game, Foley and Fox were constantly harrased and Bauer and Pearce defensively were alright but their passing was very confusing

Jackson doesn't have the legs for the wing anymore, I love the guy but he shouldn't play on the wing its not fair on him. Crofts put in a few good tackles but they were usually after he'd lost the ball from buggering up a simple pass. Freddy next to him did ok. Lookman was over flashy at times but mostly really impressed me

I'm really happy about Dillon, apart from nearly kicking the ball into the goal via Leon Clarke he had another really solid day

Ajose was much like a poacher in that he didn't offer much, but then again he wasn't getting much either. Magennis worked hard and caused a few issues for the Blades back four, but once they realised most long balls from Dillon would go to him he was getting marked heavily. Again he worked hard, I like that

Novak was on for a long time but I dont remember him doing much. Botaka won that free kick, so well done. Chicksen brought in pace needed that Jacko lacked but his decision making was also a bit poor.

tl;dr Charlton were poor at the back, badly set-up in the middle and a bit unlucky up front, getting that late equalizer felt great however
  • Options
    Their number 4 should have been sent - he committed two very cynical fouls one that both warranted bookings but got away scot free on both occasions.

We really need a player like their number 21, but what was really noticeably was how well they played as a team without any real stars. Wilder has really knocked pass and move into them.

Robinson needs to sort out free kicks in the middle of the field as a priority - the number where we ended up going backwards was just plain embarrassing.
  • Options
    PWR - proper mugged em off!
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Lookman is a young player, who developed outside of the Academy, who is still learning the game. He is naive at times, he makes the wrong decision at times and he tries to do too much at times. I hope he is getting the right coaching and information to enable him to work it out for himself.

I also hope he gets and takes the right advice, because he isn't good enough to get into a Premier League first team yet.

Big PL clubs don't buy 19 year olds to put in their first team (Dele Ali is the exception). He'd be lucky to get a start before he was 22
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016
    cabbles said:

Interesting comments by Wilder

United scraped narrow wins against 9 men in their previous 2 matches, their midweek winner was in the 3rd minute of extra time. Coincidentally the same time as our equaliser today!
    Sour grapes. They didn't do enough to win. Plain and simple
    When you are playing away and the home team after scoring 5 goals in their last game only have 1 shot on target in 90 minutes (Josh's left foot shot from an acute angle in 2nd half) and the home keeper does 2 great saves to stop you being 3 nil up, i would say you can count yourself unlucky ?

I think we mugged them !

Our best 1-1 of the season.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Second best throughout - they pressed us well - I thought their 21 (Duffy) gave them a bit of quality but they were like a league One Ipswich (of last couple of seasons without that). Very well organised and well drilld as the goal testified to. A bit limited in areas - why they only got one goal but definitely hard to beat. To beat them you need the confidence to play the balls, not hold on for too long and you need to match their work rate. When Botaka came on with 10 to go, it changed the attacking dynamic - maybe because they were tired with the workrate they put in, but they couldn't handle him at all. From being second best for virtuially all of the game, another 5 minutes and I think we would have won it! But we didn't deserve anything so we need to take what we got with gratitude.
  • Options
    masicat said:

BR3red said:

Lookman getting pelters on marks thread.

Was he that bad?

Yep.
    Still had our first shot.
  • Options
    Ronnie Biggs, Buster Edwards, Charlie Wilson, Bruce Reynolds...

...THAT'S what you call a real great robbery

We might even have won it at the death. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

masicat said:

BR3red said:

Lookman getting pelters on marks thread.

Was he that bad?

Yep.
    Still had our first shot.
    Ajose with a dipping shot in the first half surely?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Not wanting to be too critical - he has done well for us - but I thought Nugent should have rolled the dice with Botaka about 10 minutes earlier. It felt like a lot of people around me felt the same as I kept hearing Botaka's name being used.
  • Options

Not wanting to be too critical - he has done well for us - but I thought Nugent should have rolled the dice with Botaka about 10 minutes earlier. It felt like a lot of people around me felt the same as I kept hearing Botaka's name being used.

Didn't help we was stripped off and had been briefed by 73 minutes, but came on in the 82nd
  • Options

Ha, an absolute pisstake of a point - so underserved... Hahahaha.

I hope every one of the pricks in their support on Flloyd Road before the game with the taxis feel absolutely pig sick.

Does this mean you want Charlton supporters to feel sick that we didn't lose? If so, I think you've missed the point of the protests.
  • Options
    I think he was referring to the Sheff Utd fans spitting at the taxis and snarling some nonsense in a strange northern tongue, no idea what they were saying but contorted ugly frothing at the mouth rubbish, god knows what they were like afterwards!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Any criticism of Phillip for the first goal is very unfair. Essentially a 1 on 1 and the keeper probably assumes the player is going to go for the far post. It kind of unexpectedly came right at him but it was hit hard so I don't think there was a lot he could do. Doubt Rudd would have saved it.

Besides Dillon made a glorious save 2nd half -top draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All been said really , except with a few minutes to go whilst losing those pesky protestors singing "we want Roland out" weren't getting behind the team and probably cost us victory .

Sheffield Utd's support was brilliant , they've been stuck in this league for some years and to be bringing those sort of numbers to a League One fixture ,180 miles from their home ground , is something we can only dream of .
    I thought the Last Christmas ditty was good , whatever it was and a bit of "greasy chip buttie" never goes amiss .

0.25% Top two ......... 40% 3rd-6th ......... 50% 7th-12th ......... 9.75%13th-20th .......0% relegation

EFL 2016-17: Last rites and smoke grenades - five things you may have missed
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38118830
  • Options
    Who are these players that we paid big money that Wilder is talking about?
  • Options
    Ajose £800k was mentioned on Sky v Swindon
    I reckon Holmes and Magennis weren't too cheap
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Ajose £800k was mentioned on Sky v Swindon
    I reckon Holmes and Magennis weren't too cheap

Pearce too I believe.
  • Options
    United ruled the roost today and were the more ‘professional’ side. They had done their homework and obviously decided that Lookman needed to be stopped. This was done by fair means or foul, whatever was required. Just for good measure they done him a couple of times off the ball too.

As for their star player Mark Duffy, he was allowed to roam around with impunity causing us all sorts of problems. Thought we needed to make special arrangements for him, but this was never considered and he continued to operate in acres of space. I was pleased to see him leave the action early.

Funny thing is, as good as they were, I never wrote us off completely. Thought we could catch them on the counter, was delighted with the equaliser and actually a little disappointed we didn’t sneak a winner in the dying seconds when United’s bottle was finally being tested.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Who are these players that we paid big money that Wilder is talking about?

Have it on reliable authority that Charlton paid far more than necessary (compared to offers from other L1 clubs chasing him) in wages to get Novak.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

PeterGage said:

Left after 85 mins (long drive home) and assumed we had lost. Didn't hear any roar whilst walking away from the ground to suggest we had equalised.

Botaka 3

Oh that explains it. How anyone can leave before the final whistle and marks players for the full game is beyond me
    Me thinks that seeing 85 mins of a 90 minute game is enough to give an opinion and mark players!