Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Sheff U - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    BR3red said:

Lookman getting pelters on marks thread.

Was he that bad?

Yep.
  • Options
    A lucky draw, but then that happens in football, we've had other games which we should have won and didn't

I was very impressed with United's general play, they played with a high tempo and gave our midfield and defence no time on the ball, hence the endless pass backs to Dillon.

Good atmosphere at the end, and lots of smiling faces as people left the ground.
  • Options
    masicat said:

BR3red said:

Was he that bad?

Yep.
    He also was constantly fouled off the ball and re dived no protection from the referee
  • Options
    Good result considering how badly we seemed to have played.

8 points off relegation. Got to celebrate only being 17 points behind the mighty scunthorpe after 20 games.

Well done to all those that continue to protest, disappointed I couldn't be there.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    So decent results from Nugents reign but:-

Slow midfield again with only a LB out of position as alternative
    Lookman again out of position (when Ajose wide may be better OoP option)
    No Tex and 2/3 CH on bench when Fox/Foley can cover
    No tactical changes like matching Blades 3-5-2
    No high pressing or quick passes though FBs further forward

I hope Robbo can change at least some of the above and the cavalry arrive in January.
  • Options
    Woeful performance, Great result and ending.

Total non exsistont atmosphere at the ground, with the exception of Phillips so many players did not perform.

Credit to Nugent for the changes, The fact we got a point out of this shows how poor this league is.
  • Options
    Sheffield deserve promotion and we could be there too. Magennis, chicksen,phillips ulvestat, Botaka all had good games. Bauer needs to cope better when defending against teams that play with pace.. Lookman needs managing with his petulance and his need to play passes instead of dribbling and losing the ball. Jackson was knackered and chicksen could easily start from now on. Ajose should make way for Botaka who is far better at keeping and winning the ball. Novak should make way for Hanlan. Bauer goal was a great moment and it all felt like a win. We kept losing the ball and the passing was poor but we have played better and lost so I will happily take this point. Loved the silence of United fans after our goal. KEEP IT UP CHARLTON. Thought the anti regime protest at the match start was appropriate but any during such a game as this after that was inappropriate.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

masicat said:

BR3red said:

Was he that bad?

Yep.
    He also was constantly fouled off the ball and re dived no protection from the referee
    He went down too easily early on, and as a result the referee didn't give him the benefit of the doubt

• Options
    Very poor, especially first half - but they are a good side and played at pace - we looked static at times. A nicely worked free kick but looked like they held back one of our defenders from following the runner - not sure who. They deserved their lead though and Jacko played some nice moves but is hopelessly outpaced. Thought Lookman did OK and they took him out 3 times. They regularly had 3 on him. Phillips star of the show - some great saves. They were worried with about 5 minutes to go and kept heading for the corner. It was nice to see us keep pushing and getting a consolation. Botaka made a real impact.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For their goal, the man who should be chasing is Lookman on the end of the wall, but it definitely looks like he's being held back by their lad.
  • Options
    They should've had a penalty too when Bauer completely blocked off their striker getting to the ball.

No idea how the ref didn't call that one considering he was very quick to give most other things.
  • Options
    Thought Lippmann was good and pelters I u deserved
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited November 2016
    We didn't play well today. Not sure if Sheff Utd were just that much better or we had an off day but they looked far better than us. Definitely a get out of jail point that. I thought Dillon Phillips saved us. We could have been 2 or 3 down midway through the 2nd half but for him. But, we did get a point and a good goal it was as well. I'm well pleased. Nobody played that well apart from that. Bauer, a good goal and Chicksen, a good cross but, apart from that, not much else to say. I did see Magennis having a go at Ajose. Not sure what that was about but I thought Magennis was a bit out of order. He didn't play well today. Maybe he was frustrated with himself.

Incidentally, I also thought Jackson needed to come off, as was being said on the match thread. He didn't have a good half and most of United's attacking threat was coming down that side in the 1st half. I thought Chicksen made a difference when he came on. Not earth shattering but he did make a difference.
  • Options
    A draw! Unbelievable ,we were hopeless. Sheffield U must feel gutted.
  • Options
    BR3red said:

Was he that bad?

Pretty bad yes.
  • Options

For their goal, the man who should be chasing is Lookman on the end of the wall, but it definitely looks like he's being held back by their lad.

Which, of course, means Lookman was fouled.

Nevertheless, it was still a well worked set piece as Tutt-Tutt described.

• Options

Absolute day light robbery. Outplayed for virtually the entire game. Sheff Utd well organised, cynical and bossed it. If I was Wilder I'd be fining the twat that gave that freekick away at the end.

Bored saying it but our midfield is woeful.

Phillips gets great credit.

The thing is Clem, he clearly endorsed all the niggly fouls, especially the way Lookman was targeted early on - you hit the nail on the head with "cynical". That said, they were sharper all over the pitch too so certainly a point gained this time. Thought we started brightly with the confidence from the last two games but they soon adjusted and it took a series of good saves from Phillips to keep us in it - so nice for him that they counted for something too.

Above all, I think we missed Holmes's energy and ability to carry the ball today. Once they stifled Lookman we held very little threat, with no ability to play through them. Crofts and Ulvestad both tried hard but Utd. pressed us into too many errors all over the pitch. So, if not merited in terms of quality over 94 minutes, the equaliser was deserved in terms of effort and industry.
  • Options
    I do think Lookman's head dropped after the constant hacking and pushing he was getting from Shef Utd (especially number 4).

Ref gave him no protection.
  • Options
    That was dire apart from the last 5 minutes. Phillips easily our MOM. Credit to Magennis for keeping going. It sounds like the last few games where we've bossed it have been against poor opposition. I didn't think United were that great but pressed relentlessly and it's definitely a point dropped for them.

Ref was awful. So inconsistent and definitely took their side. How their player escaped a card for the foul in the NW corner on 80ish minutes I don't know. Lookman was forever being fouled off the ball, ref did nothing. When FOley caught a ball going out and the lino decided it was in play, the useless ref allowed them to take the free kick a good 4 feet inside the line and spoke to Lookman when he complained.

Truly gratifying we got a point after all that niggly play from Sheff U. You can see how they ended their last 2 games playing against 9 men.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The way I saw it, the difference between the teams was Lookman. I thought we were looking good up until we gave the goal away and sheff Utd stepped up a gear. We then struggled because, to me, it looked like Lookman was a statue for the rest of the game which left gaps for the others to fill and when the ball occasionally came his way he didn't have any momentum to move with it and so gave it away each time. When he's good, he's very good; and when he's not good, he's a liability. Imho, he needs to sort that part of his game out because when he eventually moves on the deal he gets (and the one the club gets) will be impacted accordingly otherwise and my guess he won't find a new set of fans so patient. Notwithstanding all the crap
    I've just written, getting that result today against the run of play was probably a good indicator for a finish near the top of the table.
  • Options
    Hearing comments that have been our problem all year: we're in trouble when we're 5 v. 4 in midfield and the opposition pressed us and we struggled. Sounds like we were very, very lucky to get a point today, but the shortcomings are obvious. Nugent has made us better, but we still need to work on playing out when under pressure and what to do when coming up against sides who outnumber us in midfield. That may sometime involve going 4-3-3 (but actually 4-3-3, not 4-5-1), and it may involve one of the forwards in a 4-4-2 dropping deep or pulling wide. Hopefully Robinson sees and addresses that. Unfortunately we have a limited squad that seemed to be built for 4-4-2.
  • Options
    Shame that Nugent felt the need to change the winning team from Bristol Rovers. JJ just isn't good enough to start any more and whilst that pains me to say it he should be used sparingly from the bench. Betake also needs to be given a run. In 3 of the games I've been to this season, his pace and skill has gotten us back in the game. Give him a run, build his confidence and we may have a gem of a player. Chicksen also deserves a run in the side. The positive about being so bad for most of the game is that KR knows how far we are from being a real threat in this division. He hopefully is on the phone to the fools that run our club now telling them to dig deeper come January
  • Options
    Posted without seeing earlier comments:

Totally over run for most of the game; due mainly to our poor midfield. It really must be time for JJ to hand up his boots, as sad as it pains me to state that.

Sheff Utd looked to be a really good side and looked to me as though they would win comfortably. They would have done so had both Phillips and Bauer not had excellent games and we had more than our fair share of luck in defensive situations.

Disappointed with our style of play with Phillips hitting everything long (assuming under the managers orders). We rarely tried to play football from the back which meant our level of possession was minimal. Didn't therefore enjoy the game at all.

Left after 85 mins (long drive home) and assumed we had lost. Didn't hear any roar whilst walking away from the ground to suggest we had equalised.
  • Options
    A great and totally undeserved point for us, after being outplayed for the vast majority of the game. Sheffield United's central midfield players were dominant and Duffy, the ex-Scunny winger that we previously tried to sign, gave us no end of trouble in a free role.

Their goal was well worked but maybe a bit soft and it was an unnecessary free kick to concede by Pearce. An excellent delivery by Chicksen for the equaliser after Botaka had bamboozled the full back.

Dillon Phillips kept us in the game and, as a result, we got ourselves a very useful point.
  • Options
    Result papers over the cracks. Midfield totally overrun by a fitter, more clever Pigs midfield, some of our players don't even look they want to put in a shift, Fox, Ajose, Lookman you feel could all try harder whereas Jackson just doesn't have it any more at this level.

They harried and pressed us all over the park. We responded by continually passing back to the goalie.

Very lucky to get anything from the match, although I must say the ref seemed to miss many fouls on Lookman.

Even the protests seemed mooted.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Outfought and totally outplayed. Lookman is a lazy little bastard. Keeper was superb.

Trifle harsh. He was obviously told to play very deep - much of which was dictated by our weakness in midfield and the Blades almost total dominance of that area.... and of course he always had at least two players to contend with. The lad's strength is running at defenders and today that just wasn't happening. Totally agree about Phillips, great prospect, looked confident throughout and that one-handed save was top class.
  • Options
    Can't fault the effort of any of the players, but we're supposedly aiming to challenge for promotion - Sheff Utd were streets ahead of us and must be wondering how they didn't win (well done Dillon Phillips).

Botaka has to start from now on, and Katrien needs to put aside some money from her hiring and firing budget to spend on a creative central midfielder.

Thanks to the piss poor quality of this division, a small but well spent investment would be ample to get us into the play off spots.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PWR

Everybody knows a last minute equalizer is a classic in football, as is daylight robbery, and we managed to combine the two.

Leaving to one side that it is two points dropped, and we are back to 12 points behind target, there was a lot of virtue in that effort today.
    Sheffield United were excellent, backed brilliantly by their travelling faithful, and they gave us no peace of any kind. it was one of those games where it felt the opposition had more players. However the energy they expended right up to the last 15 minutes probably cost them. ironically it was when their goalscorer, and best player Duffy went off with what looked like cramp that we began to get back into the game. By then we had brought on the lightening fast Chicksen (pity about his final ball though), the put yourself about Novak, and the worrying to them Botaka, these substitutions I thought made a huge difference, and well done Kevin Nugent there.
    However Nugent was only really able to play those cards because we were getting well beaten but we hadn't given up and were still in the game. For that we have home debutant Dillon Phillips to thank, he made some great saves and was my man of the match. People might criticise Phillips for the first goal but it was a brilliantly clever free kick routine that Sheffield United were wise to try against an inexperienced goalkeeper. Yes Phillips clear MOTM for me overall, some good catches, good kicking, one excellent throw out to Lookman. I have always liked what I've seen of Dillon and I'm glad he did well.
    Our outfield players were all honest enough, Lookman and Magennis a bit better than most, our midfield still creaking, especially when measured against Sheffield United's. I felt both Crofts and Fred were below par, but that is because their opponents were at them the whole game.
    In the game overall, Sheffield United gave us no opportunity to play, and when they had the ball they were constantly dangerous, with impressive teamwork. We deserved a draw in as much as any team that keeps on keeping on deserves it, but football wise Sheffield United were a class above and the best team we have played by quite a distance.

They say if you can't win don't lose, which I am glad about for Charlton Athletic, but for Sheffield United today was more if you should win, don't draw.

Top thread . .. summed up the game to a 'T' Sheffield definitely the best team I've seen but they need to find a quality striker.