Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Scunny - Post match views

Good to see is record a victory and seems like Holmes getting injured played a big part with Lookman coming on and turning it on.

Look forward to hearing from those in attendance

Comments

• Russell Slade - tactical genius.
    We will be unbeaten until the end of the season now.

Good to get a win against very decent opponents.
    Well played, lads!

• Good game, but what on earth does Slade give them at half time? Every week we come out and are asleep for the first ten minutes of the second half
  • It was a much stronger side than we have put out in recent years' cup competitions - credit to Slade. Not sure he deserves a pat on the back for bringihg Lookman on - Holmes was hurt and had to come off.
  • Anyone else think these FA cup games may become the distraction like they were when duchebag first came over?

Decent result against the league leaders,didn't go so can't comment on the performance - however from @Redmidland 's commentary it sounded like the result may flatter us a little - but both teams had killer spells. Holmes injured - we could end up with no wingers against Swindon!
    Attendance low but understandable!

Will be interested to see who we play in the second round, but two games we shouldn't even be playing this season!
  • Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 9m9 minutes ago
    Slade - Ricky Holmes got cut on top of his foot. Going to need couple of stitches.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think 3-1 flattered us slightly because Scunthorpe has some very dangerous spells of play.
    Holmes injury helped us because Lookman was different class and his first goal was stunning .

Well done to Slade for playing a very strong side.

So did we. I got there late but from the moment I got there, the first half was one way.
  • Second half fantastic cup tie...to be honest mostly down to them making a game of it...oh how i wish we could swap midfields.

Those that stayed away...your loss....

On another day they would have won easily. ..big plus we hung on and enjoy lookman while you can. Minus effing morons in the north lower...you know who you are.
  • Yes second half....we're you there
  • edited November 2016

Yes second half....we're you there

No what's your point? Were you at Port Vale? And Scunny away?
  • First game I have ever wanted us to lose, so we were bound to win. I'm back in the country 3rd December and was hoping to get to the Millwall game. Great result against strong oppo though
  • Wember ley here we come x
  • edited November 2016

RedChaser said:

No we're you at Port Vale? And Scunny away?
    RedChaser said:

Well shut up then... I only comments at games I have been too...we're you at bury and Oxford did you work a night shift last night are you going in to do a 12 hour night shift now....well I did and am but still went....
    Good for you. Calm yourself down, what you going off on one for? Your initial reaction at the game was not favourable, just goes to show how fortunes can change during a game, chill.
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anyone know if cup highlights are on tv anywhere later please?

Terrestrial it's on BBC2 tomorrow at 5.30pm.

Al Jazeera. 4am.
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Well shut up then... I only comments at games I have been too...we're you at bury and Oxford did you work a night shift last night are you going in to do a 12 hour night shift now....well I did and am but still went....
    Good for you. Calm yourself down, what you going off on one for? Your initial reaction at the game was not favourable, just goes to show how fortunes can change during a game, chill.
    I am very chilled ....
  • edited November 2016
    3-1 did flatter us, but at the same time I think we deserved it if only because we put away our chances.

Scunny were far better in the first half and could of had a goal or two with Rudd making a couple of really good saves, then Lookmans stunning opener took the wind out of their sails a bit.

They came at us again after HT and Dec kept them at bay with another couple of impressive saves. After they scored I was expecting the worst, but strangely that was end of their best spell in the game. We started enjoying more possession, and Scunny were limited to long range efforts for the rest of the game. In the final 10 mins, we broke and Ulvestad set up Ade with a lovely through ball, who slightly scuffed the shot but it deflected off the keeper into the net and that was game over.

We put away our 3 best chances in the game which is an improvement, and when you think Scunny were probably the best team we could of drawn in the cup right now to win is as great result.

Thats 3 home wins in a row and 7 goals!
  • The first 10 minutes of the 2nd half Scunthorpe had about 6 or 7 chances,Rudd stood up well and we rode our luck.Lookman was different class today,stunning 1st goal.Im worried about Holmes though,hope he's ok for the next few league games.
  • Best game of football at the valley this season by a country mile; and against a team that deserves to be top of the league, for the time being until Charlton catch them up. Still some unforced errors but otherwise definitely a performance the players can take and push forward with. For all the good work Scunthorpe put in and the saves that Rudd made that was a result that I didn't think looked under threat at any time during the match, even when they pulled one back. The charlton players and Slade can take a pat on the back for that. Ajose's confidence looks to be somewhere between 0% and 10% but he should take heart in that the fans seem to be behind him 100%. Get one goal and loads will surely follow it.
  • CAFCTrev said:

3-1 did flatter us, but at the same time I think we deserved it if only because we put away our chances.

Scunny were far better in the first half and could of had a goal or two with Rudd making a couple of really good saves, then Lookmans stunning opener took the wind out of their sails a bit.

They came at us again after HT and Dec kept them at bay with another couple of impressive saves. After they scored I was expecting the worst, but strangely that was end of their best spell in the game. We started enjoying more possession, and Scunny were limited to long range efforts for the rest of the game. In the final 10 mins, we broke and big Josh set up Ade with a lovely through ball, who slightly scuffed the shot but it deflected off the keeper into the net and that was game over.

We put away our 3 best chances in the game which is an improvement, and when you think Scunny were probably the best team we could of drawn in the cup right now to win is as great result.

Thats 3 home wins in a row and 10 goals!

3 + 1 + 3 = 7 - not sure where you are getting 10 goals from.
  • Sounds like our defence did well again then? Second best in the league for a reason?

Are we starting to see the season turn a bit?