Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ashley Maynard-Brewer - signed new contract to 2026 (p5)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Have we had short sleeves keeper before?

Looked very decent tonight, but then the whole team did so not going to read too much into it yet. I wouldn't be dropping him after tonight though. Can't be worse than MacGillivray and looks less erratic that JoJo.
    Edit, think that may have been the first time without base layer.

Thought he was excellent and looked very assured. Think it's safe to say we'd have lost that with MacGillivray in goal. 
  • Options
    Immense tonight
    Not the best at kicking but his shot stopping is excellent
  • Options
    Impressive composure for what was a big game for him. Slightly slow off the line a couple of times, but great shot stopping and good handling.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    what a great game he had
  • Options
    Really like him.
    no 2 at the very least
    no more CMc please 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Outstanding, Motm.
  • Options
    Keepers in short sleeves would be a straight red in my book. 

But other than that he was decent tonight. Kicking needs work but dealt with everything else well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Today we saw the AMB we have heard about for a long time.

I'd like his goalie kicks to be a tad flatter but am sure more experienced coaches will pick up on that than me after 10 pints.
  • Options
    Got his hand to a couple that went in as well. Looks very good at pens
  • Options
    He looks like he enjoys getting to the ball at all costs and goalkeeping as a whole. McG seems to like the pretty bits of keeping. Stay fit AMB. All I can say.
  • Options
    Looks a better keeper than Woolacott to me - seems more confident.
  • Options
    Woolacott must be concerned that Garner has gone, with AMB playing well. 

McG should leave in January, I'd imagine he is on a decent wage too!
  • Options
    I think we've all wanted AMB to get a run in the side, not loaned to Gillingham. Glad to see him taking it 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Think Ashley is a bit of a nutter considering he's Australian and yet likes to wear short-sleeved shirts in December. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Think Ashley is a bit of a nutter considering he's Australian and yet likes to wear short-sleeved shirts in December. 
    Seems a confident lad - never a bad thing in a keeper. 
  • Options
    Too early for that judgment I think. There was a generous amount of (deserved) luck as well as talent in the clean sheet last night and what looks like confidence when it works out looks like poor decisions when it doesn't.

I'm not ruling him out by any means but Woolacott is one of few to still be in credit and I wouldn't count out his greater experience over a season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Out of contract at the end of this season isn’t he ? 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Too early for that judgment I think. There was a generous amount of (deserved) luck as well as talent in the clean sheet last night and what looks like confidence when it works out looks like poor decisions when it doesn't.

I'm not ruling him out by any means but Woolacott is one of few to still be in credit and I wouldn't count out his greater experience over a season.
    He obviously needs to play more but I can't say Woolacott has impressed me that much. If AMB gets a run in the team we can make a better judgement .
  • Options
    Out of contract at the end of this season isn’t he ? 
    Has a deal until at least 2023, so guess we'll have the option of an extension this summer

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/5f97700a8cff8/ashley-maynard-brewer-signs-new-contract-to-keep-him-at-the-valley-until-at-least-2023
  • Options
    The original plan wasn't a bad one, as AMB would have benefited more from a season at Gillingham than being our number 2 or 3 keeper here.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    A little story about Ash...

Under Karl Robinson we did a pre-season tour to Dublin and I was fortunate to attend alongside my father (auction prize).  We got to fly and stay at the team hotel, meet a number of the players and were looked after by the wonder Mrs Leaburn.  

She told us about how Ash had arrived with us.  He came over, alone, from Australia and trialled for us and we really liked the look of him but he still had some growing to do.  We asked him to come back in a couple of years and we would see how it went.  He returned to us a few years later - impressed again and had grown - so we signed him up straight away.  That takes some bollocks to move to the other side of the world as a teenager to follow your dream but I'm glad he did
    He was living with The Leaburns for a while and Tracey was saying he'd just cooked his first ever dinner - she was so proud of him :smile:

Any way - I was so impressed with him last night.  I knew he was a talented goalkeeper but we hadn't had the opportunity to see it.  Last night he definitely played his part - his handling was immaculate and his kicking was long.  Not quite as comfortable with the ball at his feet as Jojo but his shotstopping and handling were excellent.  For me he is definitely above CMC in the pecking order 

Yeah I've always admired Ashley for sacrificing everything to come halfway round the world in what is nothing more than a gamble, so great to see its paying off - Matt Dench is another one who has taken a very similar path, and was good to see him appearing in the EFL Trophy this season.
  • Options
    What I like in the small amount I’ve seen of him is that he has the physicality required by a modern GK. Tall, athletic and good handler of the ball and is already a very good shot stopper. I think there’s improvement needed though. Distribution is massive for a GK these days and I think there’s room there for him to improve. Actually think he’s better than Nick Pope was at the same stage. 
  • Options
    Fantastic game and of course one swallow etc, but I think that puts to bed the AMB v McG debate for the moment. Thanks for the memories Craig but barring injuries there’s no reason for us to be seeing any more of him now that we’ve got two far superior and more confident keepers clearly in front of him. Time to go.
  • Options
    I was surprised that he was dropped for the cheltenham game. Even though we had been on a bad run, none of the goals were down to him. With McG’s error in that game that caused the defeat made the decision even worse.
  • Options
    What a game he had last night. As other have said I felt he looked more confident than he had done on previous recent games and wonder if some of that is about how the team were set up and asked to play. The no nonsense defending and clear your lines we saw was quite a contrast to Garnerball and perhaps Ashley feels more comfortable with this in terms of both his own game and knowing what defenders in front of him will do.

One of the ways that football has evolved in recent decades is in goalkeeping, stemming from when the back pass law was put in (one of the best rule changes ever in my view). We have gone from keepers needing to only kick the ball from hands and a dead ball for a goal kick, to having to play a moving ball passed back to them and now in some teams to be part of a back line that strokes the ball around. In the old days a keeper was primarily there for shot stopping and dealing with opposition balls into the box. Now we have different types of keeper suited to different styles of play. I’m not sure Dean Kiely would have been a keeper you would want in goal for Garnerball and he is probably the best keeper most of us have seen play for Charlton in our lifetime. 

It will be interesting to see how things pan out for Ashley at Charlton, but I d think much might depend on the style of play we use going forward and the same would probably apply for Innes and Levelle too.