Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tour Of Bangladesh & India

Comments

• 400 for England is decent after yet ANOTHER mid order failure, well done Buttler .. the Indian batsmen however are treating our bowlers with near disdain .. draw or Indian win the likely result

The brought in batsmen (Hameed, Buttler, Jennings) seem to be playing better than the ones who started the autumn
  • I don't like asking this question because he has been such a stalwart for England. But are Jimmy Anderson's days as an England bowler gone. On pitches where there is no swing or seam he is becoming increasingly ineffective.
  • dickplumb said:

I don't like asking this question because he has been such a stalwart for England. But are Jimmy Anderson's days as an England bowler gone. On pitches where there is no swing or seam he is becoming increasingly ineffective.

There will still be a lot of days where there is seam or swimg.
  • dickplumb said:

I don't like asking this question because he has been such a stalwart for England. But are Jimmy Anderson's days as an England bowler gone. On pitches where there is no swing or seam he is becoming increasingly ineffective.

I think i read somewhere that his record in the sub-con is very good?
  • Who woild you rather have - Kohli or Root?

Personally i would have Root, because he can make runs in any condition, whereas Kohli isnt/wasnt that much kop playing here last time (q AA to come on and chuck Wisden at me :) )

Personally i would have Root, because he can make runs in any condition, whereas Kohli isnt/wasnt that much kop playing here last time (q AA to come on and chuck Wisden at me :) )
    I guess a major advantage each faces at home is not facing their own bowlers!

I'm sure Kohli would find it much harder if he had to face Ashwin in India ditto Root in England against Jimmy and Broad...
  • dickplumb said:

Kohli by a Country mile. Best batsman in the world. Joe Root is the Wayne Rooney of English cricket.

If you mean unfairly criticised because he's English, then yes I agree!
  • dickplumb said:

Kohli by a Country mile. Best batsman in the world. Joe Root is the Wayne Rooney of English cricket.

bl00dy hell - thats a bit harsh !
  • Sponsored links:

• dickplumb said:

Root is quality.

Rooney is not.
  • dickplumb said:

Wow!!!! Apart from smith and Koli (in India conditions) name 3 better? Williamson nearly but I would pick root

Apart from ronaldo and messi, name 3 better than Rooney.

The 2nd question is a lot easier to answer, because root is quality
  • bizarre .. Root does not get a bowl all game .. Cook leaves the field, Root assumes protem captaincy, brings himself on to bowl .. and claims two wickets ..
    Cook was a great batsman and is still top quality .. BUT I have always had and still have extreme doubts over his captaincy ability .. perhaps time for Root or Buttler to take over ? ..

There is a comment above about Jimmy Anderson .. as with all wonderful players, the knack is knowing when to leave and keep your reputation intact .. not easy
  • bizarre .. Root does not get a bowl all game .. Cook leaves the field, Root assumes protem captaincy, brings himself on to bowl .. and claims two wickets ..
    Cook was a great batsman and is still top quality .. BUT I have always had and still have extreme doubts over his captaincy ability .. perhaps time for Root or Buttler to take over ? ..

There is a comment above about Jimmy Anderson .. as with all wonderful players, the knack is knowing when to leave and keep your reputation intact .. not easy

I also thought it daft that he took so long to bring Rashid on in the 1st session. Rashid has taken far more wickets and not one seamer had taken a wicket by the start of play today.

It's looking like a 3rd defeat here, unless we roll them over for about another 20. Bat really well and score about 250 and then bowl really well to win the game. It surely can't happen can it ?

Cook has always been an average captain, though sometimes you don't need to be good, but just lucky! Root could have been smacked into the stands :-)
  • India now 603-7, partnership is 239, Yadav has India's first ever century by a number 9 and Kohli looks like he could bat forever. In short, this isn't going well!
  • Kohli finally departs for 235. India 615-9.
  • Jennings first ball. What a difference a day makes.... Ok, Two days.
  • What a waste of a review. Cook really annoys me sometimes
  • Innings defeat incoming
  • Sponsored links:

• 180-5, Stokes out in slightly unlucky circumstances
  • The ball turning around corners!
  • I thought we would lose the series 5-0 but then we played well in the 1st test.

Turns out the 1st test was just a blip!
  • 182-6 at close, with nightwatchman Ball out
  • edited December 2016
    Collectively we will never be able to overcome viciously turning wickets in India....they are tailored(with a massive assist from Mother Nature), for just the scenarios we and others constantly see.
    I'm not complaining, we have wickets that favour pace and seam of course.
  • http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=11351;team=1;type=series
    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=11351;team=6;type=series

Looking at the averages, we've missed Broad as he was the most effective seamer. The batting averages don't look too horrendous, but the bowling ones aren't good when compared to those of India!
  • I think we've played well this series, but that isn't good enough to beat India on their own turf.

If Ashwin & Kohli were out injured, it would be more even.

I think at our absolute best batting, bowling & fielding we could beat them, but we haven't achieved that.

I think Rashid dropped Kohli c&b chance on 68 & Yadav was dropped on 6.

Those drops alone cost us something like 256 runs.
  • I think we've played well this series, but that isn't good enough to beat India on their own turf.

I think at our absolute best batting, bowling & fielding we could beat them, but we haven't achieved that.

Totally agree with you regarding the dropped catches. Totally different game if we had taken them.
    But we didn't.
  • True but these things usually go for both sides. Jennings for example was dropped on 0 and went on to make a century

Our current spinners playing their absolute best are never going to be anything other than average in Indian conditions. Until we find quality in that department we haven't a hope.