Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tour Of Bangladesh & India

Comments

• edited December 2016

Leuth said:

At least the Currans were brought up here. Sam more so than Tom I think

And their Dad is from Zim not SA, but bred here, with a pure Surrey accent. I know its same meat,diff'rent gravy.
    Their father is the late Kevin Curran. He played for Gloucestershire and Northamptonshire over many years but came here from Zimbabwe to play county cricket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Curran_(cricketer)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Curran_(cricketer)
  • A summary from the day so far:

England won the toss and elected to bat. Jennings and Ball came in for Hameed and Batty.

Currently 131-1 with Cook the sole dismissal, stumped in Jadeja's first over for 46 (60). Jennings 67* (122) impressing on dismissal and Root is 17* (28).
  • edited December 2016
    Good honest Durham lad, always said it.
  • Root caught at slip by Kohli off Ashwin for 21 (41).

136-2
  • Paul Reiffel, having been hit on the back of the head from a throw from the outfield, has gone for a scan. Hope he's OK.
  • edited December 2016
    Jennings get to his maiden ton on debut with a reverse sweep! Cook's place under pressure once Hameed returns ;-)

Hameed should open with Cook and then, depending on whether it is the left or right hander that is out, Jennings or Root comes in at 3 imo. Then Bairstow, Stokes, Moeen or Buttler (depending on the track and form of the two), Woakes, Rashid, Broad, Anderson.

191-2

Jennnings 100* (186)
    Moeen 23* (65)
  • Looks as though we have found another one.
  • 196-2 off 62 overs at tea

Jennings 103* (196)
    Moeen 25* (75)

An excellent day for England so far and if we can get to say 300-3 at tea if will set us up nicely for the match.
  • Was it a bad drop when he was on 0 or just a half chance ?
  • MrOneLung said:

Was it a bad drop when he was on 0 or just a half chance ?

Would have been a dolly for Collingwood
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Was it a bad drop when he was on 0 or just a half chance ?

One handed at gully - 50% of the time would have been taken. But one can't deny that the didn't make the most of it.
  • Good honest Durham lad, always said it.

The pride of Sunderland!
  • Moeen gets his 50 and then throws it away a la Moeen.
  • Jennings follows immediately caught at gully for 112 (219).

230-4
  • A top edged sweep sees Bairstow on his way for 14 (20) and giving Ashwin figures of 4-64.

249-5 from 230-2 is poor

Stokes 5* (38)
  • Decent openers are like busses we wait years for one and 2 come along at once.

Hameed to bat 3 in the summer.
  • Decent openers are like busses we wait years for one and 2 come along at once.

Disagree Canters. Hameed will open because of the left/right combo.
  • Not quite the 300-3 I was hoping for at tea but I think we would have accepted 288-5 at the start of play. 94 overs bowled in the day too!

Now just need to get another 150 tomorrow.

Stokes 25* (78)
    Buttler 18* (37)

Disagree Canters. Hameed will open because of the left/right combo.
    Possibly. Although I think the r/l combination matters much less in England than the subcontinent.

Whatever happens I hope Root moves back to 4. He's done well at 3 but I see 4 as his most natural position and it's where we will get the best out of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jennings just interviewed on Skysports .. he's VERY confident and assertive young man
  • Jennings just interviewed on Skysports .. he's VERY confident and assertive young man

And very south African. Batted well though

That is how they are brought up in South Africa. KP, Smith, ABV, Donald, Steyn etc etc all have that about them.

Seb played when an U12 for Kent against St Stithians College from Joburg (have produced the likes of Michael Lumb and Kagiso Rabada) the summer before last. Their boys played in shorts and long socks which somewhat belied their intent.

Chirping even at that age and between balls including from a boundary rider in Afrikaans, they played it harder than any other team he has ever faced. And yet, polite to the extreme post match and to the Umpires during the game ("yes sir, please sir, three bags full sir") which, invariably, meant they got the decision more often that not ;-(

That is how they are brought up in South Africa. KP, Smith, ABV, Donald, Steyn etc etc all have that about them.

Seb played when an U12 for Kent against St Stithians College from Joburg (have produced the likes of Michael Lumb and Kagiso Rabada) the summer before last. Their boys played in shorts and long socks which somewhat belied their intent.

Chirping even at that age and between balls including from a boundary rider in Afrikaans, they played it harder than any other team he has ever faced. And yet, polite to the extreme post match and to the Umpires during the game ("yes sir, please sir, three bags full sir") which, invariably, meant they got the decision more often that not ;-(
    The yes sir no sir thing is very south african. We had a SA international hockey player coach us cricket at school and the following year and ex Pro from SA. They were both crazy about the sir thing. One of them banned one of our players for one match because he twice took his guard without saying please sir.
  • Blimey, no updates on here at all today!

England all out for 400, India 146-1 and looking good. India will hope to bat all day tomorrow I imagine and get a healthy 1st innings lead
  • Ashwin plays a different game to everyone else.
  • 400 for England is decent after yet ANOTHER mid order failure, well done Buttler .. the Indian batsmen however are treating our bowlers with near disdain .. draw or Indian win the likely result

I knew Ashwin and Kohli were good, but I've been so impressed with them this series.

I knew Ashwin and Kohli were good, but I've been so impressed with them this series.
    But can they do it on a rainy Thursday morning in Leeds?