Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tour Of Bangladesh & India

Comments

• Leuth said:

Batty century tomorrow, everyone chill

Batty is a total waste of a tour place so far. He may get the odd wicket, but he never looks threatening.
    I wish I could like my own posts :smile:
  • edited November 2016
    An outstanding display by Hameed. I think to beat India on their own turf, we need virtually everyone to be on top form and unfortunately it didn't happen.

Cook didn't get a score in either innings. Moeen got out to two poor shots. Root played a poor shot first innings and Batty has added absolutely virtually nothing all tour.

Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler & Rashid played well and Woakes & Anderson did ok.

We needed to score 400 minimum in the first innings and probably 500 having won the toss. We lost the game to an excellent side on the first morning.

Still, I'm enjoying watching two top teams battle it out, but India aren't number one for nothing.
  • Northeast please
  • Northeast please

Correct.
  • Northeast please

Agreed. But has he even picked up a bat since September
  • Duckett hasn't really done div 2 bats any favours.
  • It seems that we've opted for Keaton Jennings who, five years ago, captained South Africa U19s here. He qualifies for us as his Mum is from Sunderland and I expect him to have a heavy Geordie accent when interviewed.

Perhaps we shouldn't fire arrows at the Aussies for taking our players!
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38140767

Keaton Jennings and Liam Dawson called up, as Ansari is injured as well
  • Jennings .. another southpaw .. the selections for this tour and for the tests have been poor to put it mildly ..
    Head coach Bayliss loves to wear his big sunhat .. In Texas there is an expression for a man who is not as bright/on top of things/rich/talented as he might like to think .. 'all hat and no cattle' .. lately this applies to Bayliss without a shadow
    .. Ansari, test quality bowler ? .. do me a favour, Ballance, back in form and worthy of a touring spot ? .. 95 year old Nora Batty the optimum choice as the best off spinner .. Big Hat Bayliss .. back to the drawing board me ol cobber
  • Australia are installing a swmming pool at the Gabba for their upcoming day/night test against NZ.

Cricket as we know it is dead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jennings has scored a century for England Lions.

Australia are installing a swmming pool at the Gabba for their upcoming day/night test against NZ.

Are they playing the Test underwater then?
  • Australia are installing a swmming pool at the Gabba for their upcoming day/night test against NZ.

Nothing new, been done in the Windies.
  • It seems that we've opted for Keaton Jennings who, five years ago, captained South Africa U19s here. He qualifies for us as his Mum is from Sunderland and I expect him to have a heavy Geordie accent when interviewed.

A strain of Geordie that I am unfamiliar with:

https://ecb.co.uk/tv/153991
  • I am a little uncomfortable with the selection of Keaton Jennings, it seems that he has purely moved to England to play test cricket - the bloke is a South African pure and simple.

I am fully aware that he is in a long line of Saffers to play for us, but with SA now fully entrenched back into test cricket, outside of monetary reasons, why isn't he playing for them?
  • Has an English mum from near Durham and was probably given a much more lucrative offer to play there than in SA. You'd have thought that the ballyhooed quota system didn't have so much to do with it as this, because the franchise teams in SA still have loads of white players in them
  • And no, I don't much like it when England pick Saffers either
  • I am a little uncomfortable with the selection of Keaton Jennings, it seems that he has purely moved to England to play test cricket - the bloke is a South African pure and simple.

I am fully aware that he is in a long line of Saffers to play for us, but with SA now fully entrenched back into test cricket, outside of monetary reasons, why isn't he playing for them?

It's been going on for years. From Basil D'Oliveira to Lamb and the Smith brothers through to the likes of Trott (played for SA U15 and U19), KP and Kieswetter. And many more in between. Even now the Curran brothers are playing for England Lions.

If they are good enough we will pick them. Whether that is right is debatable but we're not the only country to do it.
  • At least the Currans were brought up here. Sam more so than Tom I think
  • Leuth said:

Has an English mum from near Durham and was probably given a much more lucrative offer to play there than in SA. You'd have thought that the ballyhooed quota system didn't have so much to do with it as this, because the franchise teams in SA still have loads of white players in them

Spot on, suspect it's as simple as better pay.

Tough ask for him - away in India with Hameed just making it look at lot easier than it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't know. Part of me believes in successful patriation and that you can play for whichever country you want once you've settled and made ties. But part of me gets irked when someone raised in SA ups sticks purely for the benefit of their own career with an eye to representing England internationally. It's fine if they want to play county cricket but something about their selection for the national team sticks in the craw. It's far worse when a Zimbabwean does it, of course - no wonder their team is shit.
  • Jennings' English mum (see also KP) means that on balance I'm less fussed than for some.
  • I know his Mum is English, but as he was Captain of the SA Under 19's less than four years ago, his sudden conversion to England is a little startling to say the least.

Good luck to him, and I hope he does well, but I wonder what it does for the likes of Bell-Drummond, Gubbins, Billings and probably a few others that have been in the English system for years, when they see someone from outside the system, so easily queue jump over them.

Mackem accent, surely?
    :smile:
  • edited December 2016
    Leuth said:

At least the Currans were brought up here. Sam more so than Tom I think

And their Dad is from Zim not SA, but bred here, with a pure Surrey accent. I know its same meat,diff'rent gravy.
  • Leuth said:

At least the Currans were brought up here. Sam more so than Tom I think

And their Dad is from Zim not SA, but bred here, with a pure Surrey accent. I know its same meat,diff'rent gravy.
    Tom was born in Cape Town, Curran attended Springvale House, a preparatory school in Zimbabwe before moving on to Hilton College where he represented KwaZulu-Natal Inland at under-15, under-17 and under-19 level. He came here when he was 17.

Not saying that's wrong but I don't think we should kid ourselves that he was "bred" here - and I think that any boy who went through the Surrey system from 11 to 17 would argue that same.
  • edited December 2016

I know his Mum is English, but as he was Captain of the SA Under 19's less than four years ago, his sudden conversion to England is a little startling to say the least.

Good luck to him, and I hope he does well, but I wonder what it does for the likes of Bell-Drummond, Gubbins, Billings and probably a few others that have been in the English system for years, when they see someone from outside the system, so easily queue jump over them.

Jennings dad was also South Africa coach. And it is questionable whether his qualification is technically correct. The ECB has used their "discretion" to get him qualified because he didn't officially register for Durham 'til August 2012 - four months after they raised the qualification period from four to seven years.

And a somewhat concerning quote from him "At the moment I'm feeling very comfortable and very English despite my accent". I expect KP felt the same way. As , no doubt, did Kepler Wessels who succeeded in playing for both SA and Australia.

• International sport is a mess really with players switching countries or choosing a country based on a grandmother despite never living there!

Jennings seems to have sneaked through, but it's interesting that England changed the rule to 7 years as clearly someone acknowledged that 4 years wasn't enough to really show allegiance to your new country
  • Cricket is set to introduce sendings-off for the first time next year, while the sizes of bats are to be limited.

Umpires will be given the power to eject players from a game for serious disciplinary breaches.

The new laws will be implemented at all levels of the game from 1 October 2017, subject to approval by MCC's main committee.

According to the proposed new law, agreed at the world cricket committee's meeting in Mumbai, players will be dismissed for:

threatening an umpire
    physically assaulting another player, umpire, official or spectator
    any other act of violence on the field of play

The committee also debated sanctions including run penalties and sin bins for lesser offences, but decided that it would be difficult to achieve consistency around the world - and may introduce an appendix to the laws in order for governing bodies or leagues to implement their own system.
    Bat edges and depths to be limited

Following much debate in the last few years over bat sizes, and a call for restrictions from the International Cricket Council in June, specific size limitations to the edge and depth of bats will be added to the laws as the committee believes "the balance of the game has tilted too far in the batsman's favour" - with some mis-hit shots clearing the boundary for six.

Bat edges will have a maximum allowance of 40mm and bat depths must not exceed 67mm (60mm plus an allowance of 7mm for a possible curve on the face of the bat).

"Many of the top players' bats have edges of between 38mm and 42mm, but there are some which have edges of up to 50mm, which was felt to be excessive and in need of restriction," the committee concluded.

While a bat gauge will be used to enforce the new restriction in the professional game, a moratorium will allow amateur player to continue to use their existing bats which may be in breach of the new law.

Law on ball striking a fielder's helmet to change

Catches and stumpings will now be permitted after the ball has struck a helmet being worn by a fielder, or become lodged or trapped in the grille of such a helmet - given that the wearing of helmets by close fielders has been made compulsory at some levels.

However, a ball striking an unattended helmet behind the wicketkeeper will still earn five runs for the batting side.

Among its other discussions:

the committee decided the law on ball-tampering would not be changed
    proposals for four-day Tests were debated but the committee was evenly split
    the committee also reaffirmed its support for (a) Twenty20 cricket being added to the Olympic Games, and (b) a World Test Championship to be introduced
  • The proposals sound fairly sensible. Something has to be done about the bats in T20 cricket, a six should be a reward for a great shot not a mistimed hoik!