Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tour Of Bangladesh & India

Comments

• Shakib is pretty much world-class as well tbf

I think results like this will get BD a lot more Tests.
  • Effectively 64 all out.
  • Leuth said:

Shakib is pretty much world-class as well tbf

I think results like this will get BD a lot more Tests.

And hopefully some proper support from the Bangladesh public
  • Poor application from our top 5. None of them got more than a hundred in four innings and all averaged under 25.lucky to draw the series. Poor, very poor
  • Well done Bangladesh. They deserved to tie the series

As for England, this series highlighted the flaws in the current side away from English style conditions. Having said that, most teams at the moment seem to struggle away from home!
  • India are going to destroy us. What price for Ashwin top wicket taker?
  • McBobbin said:

India are going to destroy us. What price for Ashwin top wicket taker?

Of course he will - easy money - unless he's injured.
  • Can't find odds on 5-0 to India, printing money.
  • really poor batting AGAIN from England .. the main problem in this case though is that they so rarely face quality spinners on dodgy pitches
  • CHG said:

Can't find odds on 5-0 to India, printing money.

10/3 on bet365
  • Sponsored links:

• IdleHans said:

CHG said:

Can't find odds on 5-0 to India, printing money.

10/3 on bet365
    I'll have some of that. Can't see any other result if England play like that against India

Absolutely crazy decision to play Ballance. Should've been Haseeb Hameed opening, with Duckett at 3 or 4 instead of Ballance. That is most likely the way they'll go now. the only difference being having to chuck Hameed in at the deep end against India when he should've had a couple of games against Bangladesh 1st to get used to conditions.
  • Rob Key braying about getting Jos Buttler in there instead of Hameed. You'd think he'd understand the value of a decent opening bat
  • Also, Ballance's dismissal was the most gloriously emphatic 'get out of this team' moment since...idk, Geraint Jones getting stumped from gully for a pair in his final Test
  • Leuth said:

Also, Ballance's dismissal was the most gloriously emphatic 'get out of this team' moment since...idk, Geraint Jones getting stumped from gully for a pair in his final Test

It was the cricket equivalent of Danny mills getting sent off before Christmas or Judas Defoe having a transfer request in his sock.
  • McBobbin said:

England 67 without loss. Duckett taking the game to BD... Lead now almost below 200. We could knock these off I reckon

But in case anyone hadn't realised I know f-all about cricket
  • McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

England 67 without loss. Duckett taking the game to BD... Lead now almost below 200. We could knock these off I reckon

But in case anyone hadn't realised I know f-all about cricket
    To be fair I wasn't as optimistic as you but we should have had a better go at it. with proper batsmen all the way down to 10 we shouldn't have collapsed that badly. Should have been some resistance at some point. A 30 or 40 here. At least would have made the loss less embarrassing.
  • Leuth said:

Rob Key braying about getting Jos Buttler in there instead of Hameed. You'd think he'd understand the value of a decent opening bat

If Buttler is going to succeed anywhere as an opener its going to be on the sub continent. It's probably a kamikaze move but I hope they give it a go.
  • In such alien conditions, we could open with anyone, as there's no new ball pace threat. Indeed, middle order batsman might do better against the new ball spinners, and Buttler does at least have some IPL experience

The ridiculous lack of practice matches clearly doesn't help. One mickey mouse practice match, which Cook missed then back to back Tests. And now straight to India, England effectively treated the Bangladesh matches as their Indian warm up matches.

During this match, the likes of Hameed and Buttler have been apparently facing Broad and Ball in the nets. That'll be great practice for facing the Indian spinners...
  • In such alien conditions, we could open with anyone, as there's no new ball pace threat. Indeed, middle order batsman might do better against the new ball spinners, and Buttler does at least have some IPL experience

The ridiculous lack of practice matches clearly doesn't help. One mickey mouse practice match, which Cook missed then back to back Tests. And now straight to India, England effectively treated the Bangladesh matches as their Indian warm up matches.

During this match, the likes of Hameed and Buttler have been apparently facing Broad and Ball in the nets. That'll be great practice for facing the Indian spinners...

I'm sure they've faced all 4 of our spinners too.. wait I'm not sure that will help...
  • You can have all of the spinners you like in a side, but if they aren't good enough then you are going to struggle big time. It is becoming apparent that every team in Asia will play the same way against England, block the seamers and put a lot of pressure on the spinners - who simply can't tie up an end, like the likes of Swann and Panesar could.

The batting is a different matter entirely, as others have stated the conditions make it difficult, but not THAT difficult.

No choice now but to bring Hameed in for Ballance, and drop Duckett down to four - still leaves us looking extremely flakey from 4-6 though, as Stokes and Ali are both as mercurial as they come.

I don't see the point of having two offies in the same side, so would have to choose between Ansari and Rashid.

Cook
    Hameed
    Root
    Duckett
    Ali
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Woakes
    Rashid
    Broad
    Ball

Not perfect by any means, but with four seamers we may be able to control the game better than we have been with the 3/3 approach.

• Sponsored links:

I'm sure they've faced all 4 of our spinners too.. wait I'm not sure that will help...
    Lol, though this practice was during the match so Batty would have been the only spare spinner, and I doubt whether nets replicate the actual pitches very well

I remember in the old days, the selectors would pick a batsman for a West Indies tour because he was known to be good against fast bowling. Maybe we should have brought back an experienced middle order player just for this autumn - it's 7 Tests in total, which could turn into a nightmare for the inexperienced batsmen.

• Michael Vaughan in the Telegraph thinks we should bring Billings into the India squad, we need to do something as Ballance is a waste of a tour space and we have far too many left handers in the squad
  • edited October 2016

Michael Vaughan in the Telegraph thinks we should bring Billings into the India squad, we need to do something as Ballance is a waste of a tour space and we have far too many left handers in the squad

That's why Vaughan is an idiot. He probably meant Northeast and is getting confused because of the blonde hair, bobby robson carl Cort and Jason euell style

• Michael Vaughan in the Telegraph thinks we should bring Billings into the India squad, we need to do something as Ballance is a waste of a tour space and we have far too many left handers in the squad

That's why Vaughan is an idiot. He probably meant Northeast and is getting confused because of the blonde hair, bobby robson carl Cory and Jason euell style

As Billings has been in the England ODI squad, I imagine he's ahead of Northeast in the pecking order. He has IPL experience as well which might help
  • Whilst most people are predicting a 5-0 whitewash, I am quietly confident we might win one Test . !
    If you look at the 5 Test Venues....
    Rajkot - historically a spinners paradise.
    Visakpatnam - This is making its Test debut, so, no real history to refer to.
    Mohali - IS in the foothills of the Himalayas, and possibly will be a less spinner friendly wicket.
    Mumbai - because of its location, always seems to turn out English style wickets, and hoping England to win their Test here - however, if they are already 3 down when arriving, it could be a confidence thing.
    Chennai - likely to spin.

All in all though - its going to be a struggle, one where the hierarchy's decision to stop players in the past going to IPL will come back and bite on bum.
  • Well my Stan James balance (.55p) has just gone onto India to win the series 3/1 at 11/2, returning a glorious £3.58!!!!!!

Basing that on an England fluke Mumbai and one of the others to be a snore draw.

That's why Vaughan is an idiot. He probably meant Northeast and is getting confused because of the blonde hair, bobby robson carl Cort and Jason euell style

It was Carl Cort and Shola Ameobi.

Racist ;)
  • McBobbin said:

Michael Vaughan in the Telegraph thinks we should bring Billings into the India squad, we need to do something as Ballance is a waste of a tour space and we have far too many left handers in the squad

Racist ;)
    Bobby Robson sent a scout to look at the big black lad up front for Wimbledon (euell). He was rested and cort played and scored. The scout reported he was good so robson spent 7.5m on the wrong player who was shit. Don't know how true this is but I've heard it a few times
  • McBobbin said:

Racist ;)
    Bobby Robson sent a scout to look at the big black lad up front for Wimbledon (euell). He was rested and cort played and scored. The scout reported he was good so robson spent 7.5m on the wrong player who was shit. Don't know how true this is but I've heard it a few times
    Ahhhh missed that. Apologies. I just remember an interview with Shola when he was asked what Robson called him: "Carl Cort"
  • Cracking start to the Aus/SA series. On commentary atm: Michael Clarke and Kevin Pietersen o_O