Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield Agreed Deal for THD? CONFIRMED - UNDISCLOSED FEE (pg 8)

Comments

• Options
    Short term decision to raise some funds.

Provided some pace that we are missing in our team.

Another area that we need to replace but I doubt we will get a replacement.

Huddersfield are a team on the up and we are not.
  • Options

I think he was a major part of our squad. All squad members are major in a squad the size of ours. If Fox were to break his leg we have no cover now so it is another avoidable and short sighted piece of transfer business on our part.

Birmingham still interested in Fox apparently.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    LordDofB said:

I think he was a major part of our squad. All squad members are major in a squad the size of ours. If Fox were to break his leg we have no cover now so it is another avoidable and short sighted piece of transfer business on our part.

We got rid of two goalkeepers in a very short space of time so why not two left backs, go for Latrien, you can't be hated anymore than you are already :angry:
  • Options
    LordDofB said:

If they make the right bid (I would guess at around the £750k mark), he'll be sold too regardless of it leaving us with no left backs.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Telling us they have learned their lessons is meaningless. A big lesson they should have learned was around squad depth. Under this regime unwinnable games have crept in in increasing numbers. Fulham away was an example the season before last where we we were doing ok before the game, but the team we put out we were always going to lose. Preston at home last season was one of many, I just wanted to go home before the game started. We get a few injuries and we are in trouble. I don't recall ever having more of these what I call 'give away' games than we have had under this owner.

Apart from the fact that THD has shown promise and we haven't had a chance to see how he will develop. I suspect we might regret this one.
  • Options
    Can't we just see how this season pans out?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016
    For the umpteenth time, it's all a numbers game about the bottom line. They don't give a flying fig for the composition of decent in depth squad that might stand a chance of being successful and in that I mean avoiding relegation as a first priority!
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Can't we just see how this season pans out?

No!

Even if we were to win the league, people would still say "we would have won it sooner had we not sold Harriott, Cousins and THD for peanuts"

;-)
  • Options
    We might get lucky and Fox (if we don't sell him too) stays fit and plays ok all season! I would like to know how much money we got for him - to see if it was worth the gamble! Can't see the central midfielder we need coming in either - a bit of bad luck with injuries and we are going nowhere!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I think we might get away with 10. Some teams play better when a man down!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

if we need to reduce the wag bill feck Roger off first. We have cover. If we need more money in then sell Tex.

as for THD maybe he is pissed off at whats happening to the club and therefore his career

I cannot believe THD earns more than Johnson.

I think this is where the problem lies as I understand some of our youngsters are on lowish money and they are seeing their pals move on with large wage increases.
  • Options
    Aaw crap, is all I have to say.
  • Options
    Just can't wait for the press conference tomorrow to explain the decision to sell him !!!!!
  • Options

But as a 20-year old with seemingly a good head on his shoulders, he will surely get better over the course of the next 12-18m and thus not only will his value increase but we would benefit from having him play for us during that period too.
    Maybe, maybe not. He didn't seem to show much improvement in the last 12-18 months, so who knows ?
    The answer is nobody knows and nobody knows (on here) if it's a good deal or not. Up to £500K could mean anything. If we get £500K it's possibly a very good deal. If we end up with £100K it's not.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Good luck to him as he tries to build his career somewhere sensible.
    Opens the door for the return of Rhys Williams, despite him being at Perth Glory, just the kind of player we need...says Roger Johnson, and Katrien Meire, and Roland Duchatelet, and Tony Cojones, and David Joynes, and Cliff Eager, and Sue Parkes, and Rhys Williams agent.
    Who wants a promising youngster when we can have a has been or a never was?

And he's off ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well yes, if you're definition of major is every single player in the squad, then to you they are all major.

So Roger Johnson's major ?

Dimitar Mitov is major ?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Team for Saturday then:

Russell Slade in goal to make the target smaller.
    Olly Groome left back.
    S. Adamson right back.
    'Chopper' Cliff Eager central defender.
    Alongside Roger Johnson for the verbal instructions.
    Chris Parkes deep lying midfield doing all the spadework.
    Sue Parkes in the Reza role right side midfield telling everybody else what to do.
    Tony Keohane forward lying midfielder pulling all the strings, the wrong way.
    David Joynes left side midfield in an undisclosed role.
    Roland Duchatelet as the deep lying forward.
    Katrien Meire, centre forward, captain and penalty taker, lots of photo opportunities there.

You only need eleven players.

Oh dear.
  • Options

Telling us they have learned their lessons is meaningless. A big lesson they should have learned was around squad depth.

The main lesson if they were genuine about trying to improve. Our first XIs haven't been bad in the last 3 years but we continually leave ourselves one or two injuries away fron being a shambles.

Sadly it's simply a major part of Roland's modus operandi - small (read: cheap) squad supplemented by barely ready youngsters he can then sell on.
  • Options
    They will never learn - very few new players brought in and loads sold on for undisclosed fees as usual.

We know what is going to happen, they will say they tried very hard but couldn't get the deal over the line. Our squad is already very thin and with our record on injuries, exactly the same will happen as last year.
  • Options

Some of us have been round the block more than a few times and are very well aware of the travails of professional football, the attitudes of players, parents, guardians, agent, investment agents, lawyers in relation to the control of players.

To keep painting this as an excuse for any and every departure from the club or the excessive contracts we have seen displays a worrying naivety. Such issues in different forms from club scouts, dodgy managers, unscrupulous chairman questionable parents etc., have been around for decades.

It is part and parcel of the industry and one aspect everyone has to manage. It is no reason to keep rolling over at the first sign of a cheque book. Every CEO has to manage these issues - bleating about it is just an excuse.

I still keep reading how unlucky we were with injuries. No we were not. We were simply grossly understaffed to cope with them especially having recruited a significant number of players straight out of the treatment room.

Some of these justifications sound as if someone has stepped into a football clubhouse for the very first time.

Can we drop the sweeping statements? There is no fixed quota concerning academy players, youth players, overseas players, nor experienced pro's - it is about the ability of the player no matter the derivation and the balance they bring and contribution they can make to the squad in the short, medium and long term - that is football.

Holmes-Dennis with the loans he has had, is currently under his 10th head coach and probably twice that number of assistant coaches in 2 1/2 yrs.

He has been shunted off on various loans while watching any number of journeymen like Bergdich brought in and now seen the ageing Jackson played wide left alongside Crofts and another journeyman Foley (only on a 5 month contract) to provide probably the most immobile midfield in the entire league.

In terms of our squad he offers real balance. Is he irreplaceable? No but he is a naturally talented left side player. There are very few of those about. Indeed how many players have we tried on the left flank over recent years. We even played Cousins wide left for 1/2 a season.

Holmes-Dennis has had some grounding out on loan and should be at the exact point where he is going to be able to seriously compete for a spot.

If he goes he will need to be replaced. So it is not a question of "spitting the dummy" but just another frustration as it creates another issue to be addressed before the window closes.

If Slade prefers a predominately defensive left back then he has Lennon and Pearce who have played there and yes there is Edwards to come through the U23 but none offer the same options as Holmes-Dennis.

For the player at times in life you have to recognise you maybe in the right place at the wrong time. If Andy Hughes thinks he is up to the job for the style of fullback they want at Huddersfield I am certainly not going to argue with him.

It is however perfectly reasonable for people to express their disappointment and challenge the thinking behind the move, particularly with its timing being in the last week of the window.

Sometimes those commenting in defence of the realm protest just a little too much.

Thanks Pete - sometimes players, whether justified or not, get bent out of shape at a club and best for all to move on. That looks like it's the case and u can't blame him for wanting first team football particularly when the 4th different boss has clearly chosen another player ahead of you.
  • Options
    Poor decision by Slade to let this boy leave, especially so early in his career in my view.
  • Options
    It will be interesting to find out the reasoning behind this. Perhaps we'll find out at Slade's press conference.
  • Options
    If everyone who subscribes to valley gold cancels it should tell the pricks that we ain't happy at the way they give away all our better young players for peanuts.
    They won't listen of course but it would be less money for the regime
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Okay, I've calmed down now, it all makes perfect sense, THD going, raises a bit of healthy cash and means we can sign Roger Johnson up on a longer contract!
    Vive la regime....