Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bury v Charlton Athletic | Sat 06 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• 2-0 defeat
  • dickplumb said:

Texeire won't be playing.

Who?
  • Tex and Messi won't be here come Saturday
  • kafka said:

dickplumb said:

Who?
    If he does play this season we have just got to collectively instantly shout out 'who' when his name is announced
  • For some strange reason I am looking forward to going to this.
    Bury are not in great shape either, so I don't expect to see many goals.

Prediction 0-0.
  • Novak HAS to start with the protective cast. That was always the aim from the original article.

Also - Tex must be fit by then as well. Get him in the back 4.

My god that team is shit - Jacko will be blowing out his arse after 15 mins, but there is nobody else to bring on to relieve the poor guy.

I don't think that's fair. Jackson reported back fit and finished one of the highest in the bleep test scores at the start of pre-season. Don't confused dwindling pace with lack of fitness, he'll run all day.
    I agree, his pace is gone but he can do 90 mins no problem.
  • dickplumb said:

But will Teixera play?
    No he won't either, and nor will Teixeira.
  • The first defeat of many. We're relegation fodder right nw.
  • Away games only for me this year.I'm going. Don't know why. They're not a bad side. 2-0 Bury and the decline continues.
  • Charlton's current squad has no chance of collecting anything positive from this game, unless Bury's squad is all pony and unfit. If the shakers are shit there's about a 30% chance of a goalless draw. That aside the only things Roly's toxic pantomime will be collecting this weekend are yellow cards and injuries.
    Keep smilin' maybe some mishap will befall Roly and he'll be sectioned and a competent person will be put in charge of his affairs, maybe...
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

dickplumb said:

But will Teixera play?
    To be fair there isn't much point in learning how to spell his name now.
  • se9addick said:

sam3110 said:

dickplumb said:

But will Teixera play?
    To be fair there isn't much point in learning how to spell his name now.
    Or pronounce it
  • edited August 2016

Tex and Messi won't be here come Saturday

You reckon Pearce and another outfield player will come in as well, or just two more leave?

It is like we are doing a Blackpool backwards - we will end up with 8 players by the time the transfer window closes.
  • Hope Slade picks an attacking team. Would love to see 4-2-3-1:

......Phillips
    Solly...Konsa...Johnson...Fox
    ..........Crofts....Ba
    Harriott....Lookman......Holmes
    ...............Ajose

It's not a bad League One first 11. Having Ajose up front on his own isn't ideal, but if you have three creative players buzzing around behind him, interchanging, getting the ball down and running at people, we could look quite dangerous.

Unfortunately, Slade is a straight 4-4-2 man so I expect two banks of four, rigid, tight and the back, and for our creative players to rarely get the ball to feet in space. If the skipper starts on the left I'll be borderline mutinous.
  • Bury 1 Charlton 2
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Fingers crossed the decent away following continues all season regardless of the results!
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-1 holmes to score first
  • edited August 2016
    Rob7Lee said:

Novak HAS to start with the protective cast. That was always the aim from the original article.

Also - Tex must be fit by then as well. Get him in the back 4.

My god that team is shit - Jacko will be blowing out his arse after 15 mins, but there is nobody else to bring on to relieve the poor guy.

I don't think that's fair. Jackson reported back fit and finished one of the highest in the bleep test scores at the start of pre-season. Don't confused dwindling pace with lack of fitness, he'll run all day.
    I agree, his pace is gone but he can do 90 mins no problem.
    I can do 90 minutes sitting in an armchair.

• 1-1

I haven't been to Gigg Lane since 99. Looking forward to it
  • edited August 2016
    Not a clue. Rudd is a good signing and you'd think we'd have a decent attack with Ajose, Novak and Lookman.
    But no idea how well we'll deal with regular battle hardened lower league sides like Bury.
    It'll be an interesting away test.
  • 0-0 bore draw is the best we can hope for. I really do fear for this season. Our squad is paper thin. We will not last the course and if we start badly our squad isn't deep enough to cope. We could go down again.
  • I can see this going one of two ways, and it all depends on how Bury play as we know what Charlton will be like - solid at the back and lacking up front. From last season's form, Bury will be poor and we'll sneak a win by the only goal. If their signings have vastly improved them, they'll get a couple and we won't break them down even once.
  • Spankie said:

0-0 bore draw is the best we can hope for. I really do fear for this season. Our squad is paper thin. We will not last the course and if we start badly our squad isn't deep enough to cope. We could go down again.

12/5 for any draw is good odds.

After the poorformances I saw against Orient and the cloggies I do not think we're in for a fun filled season.

0-0 written all over it.

Still, the sun will be out and drink will be drunk.....
  • edited August 2016

Bury v Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 6th August 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
    League One - Match-Day One

Introduction

Greetings from Bury… located within Greater Manchester, this is a town that emerged during the great Industrial Revolution as a mill town creating textiles, it’s an area known for its market and the local traditional dish: Black Pudding… whilst Sir Robert Peel, the Prime Minister between 1841 and 1846 was a resident of this town.

This Saturday sees League Football returning after a three month break… Bury a town that has been home to Prime Ministers will this Saturday play host to Football fans from South East London… the new season is upon us… the opposition are ready, the fans are ready… Let’s just hope Charlton Athletic… are ready!!

The Opposition
    Name: Bury | Manager: David Flitcroft
    Ground: Gigg Lane

2011/12 was the last season that the Addicks were in League One and we all know how that turned out but what has happened to Bury…?

Bury in the years since we last faced them haven’t fared so well, the year we won the Division, the Shakers finished in mid-table yet the follow year saw them relegated back to League Two, there they remained for two years and last season was Bury’s first back in League One, they finished 16th and will surely be hoping that second season syndrome doesn’t return once more.

It’s certainly been an interesting summer and despite their business in the Transfer Window being all Free Transfers they’ve used the market wisely with the experience of Neil Danns joining from Bolton whilst Antony Kay and Chris Kirkland have joined from MK Dons and Preston respectively.

Their pre-season though hasn’t been the best and if Charlton fans are panicking about relegation after our results then Bury should be even more worried… a 1-0 defeat against Blackburn saw them begin their summer whilst 4-0 defeats against Morecambe and Radcliffe Borough followed… a 1-1 draw away at Blackpool last Saturday is the sole success of their summer so far.

Team News
    As for Charlton who knows who’ll play in the opener… The Declan Rudd signing is almost dragging on as bad as the Paul Pogba transfer to Manchester United whilst the fans continue to wonder where the five desired signings actually are.

Should no other signings come in then a win would be very impressive with Dillon Phillips no doubt making his debut in between the sticks… the reliable Chris Solly and Johnnie Jackson will no doubt play some part in the match whilst Nicky Ajose should start against one of his former loan sides, his strike partner: Lee Novak though is questionable after breaking a finger in training last week.

Phillips
    Solly … Johnson … Konsa … Fox
    Holmes … Crofts … Ba … Jackson … Harriott
    Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Mitov … Thomas … Holmes-Dennis … Muldoon … Lookman … Novak … Hanlan

Prediction
    The opening day of the season is always difficult to predict as you can never rely on friendly results to be an accurate representation on where each squad is… Every team will want to win their opening match in a new season and this year will be no different, a lack of proper match sharpness is to be expected and a draw wouldn’t be a surprise result.

Pop-Quiz Time
    (1) Sir Robert Peel (Bury resident) became Prime Minister in 1841 but which famous figure did he replace?
    (2) Name the two players that could play against their former sides this Saturday?
    (3) Bolton / Rochdale / Oldham… All from Greater Manchester but who are Bury’s closest rivals?
    2 Ajose / Soares
    3 Bolton
  • Bury averaged 3,751 last season.

Charlton averaged 15,632 (and circa 12,000 of that was real).

That's really about all you should need to know.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!