Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v. Iceland

Comments

• Options
    Press said yesterday that Sterling wasn't playing
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Please not sterling. If he starts him I'll be amazed.

If he does start I'll begin to think Hodgson has been paid to do all he can to not win this tournement.
  • Options
    Reports yesterday were kane up top with Sturridge and Lallana. Today they're reporting sterling in for Lallana.
  • Options

Worst possible draw for us. Another shite team who will put all 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes and aim to take us to penalties.

Some really odd comments regarding England on here. Country over club. Come on England!

That's just it though. If I could see Charlton 'doing a Leicester' or England win a tournament it'd be Charlton every day of the week.
    Why do you have to chose?

Both would be nice, but even if Charlton did do a Leicester, I still wouldn't have thought we'd have many England international in our ranks, so it still wouldn't mater imo

Come on England

Come on Charlton
  • Options

Press heavily hinting that Sterling and Kane will start. They have got it spot on so far. Hope Roy knows what he's doing.

I thought it was Sturridge and Kane...

Surely Sterling cant even be in France still other than as a tackle dummy!!
    Reports this morning that it sturridge, Kane and sterling with lallana missing out.
  • Options
    i know we was all less than pleased with not winning the group but i think belgium are a much tougher opponent than the french, ireland really were bad yesterday against france. if we can overcome iceland which i think we will 2-0 no reason why we cant take it to france and ruin there tournament, as echoed by others this would mean a trip back to marseille for england against more than likely germany, which i dont envy anyone doing at all.
  • Options
    I can't believe anybody thinking we will lose to Iceland. Its fucking Iceland not Italy, Spain or Croatia. Losing should not be considered. Come on guys, get your mojo back and be positive.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Solidgone said:

I can't believe anybody thinking we will lose to Iceland. Its fucking Iceland not Italy, Spain or Croatia. Losing should not be considered. Come on guys, get your mojo back and be positive.

I have been supported England too long to presume that we will beat Iceland tonight . We should beat them - but that's so often different from the reality when watching England in major tournaments.
  • Options
    If England can score a few tonight, 3 minimum, then the side will have the confidence to go on and beat France, assuming Iceland don't score more than 2
  • Options

Solidgone said:

I have been supported England too long to presume that we will beat Iceland tonight . We should beat them - but that's so often different from the reality when watching England in major tournaments.
    Sadly this, I hope we beat them and we should beat them but.............................it's England
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If England can score a few tonight, 3 minimum, then the side will have the confidence to go on and beat France, assuming Iceland don't score more than 2

I heard on the radio this morning that apparently the last time we scored more than 2 goals in the knock out stages of a tournament was 10 years ago against the mighty Trinidad & Tobago.
  • Options
    Talksport reporting this morning Sterling is playing. They talk a load of shite on there most of the time but I will say their team selection reporting has been spot on so far.
  • Options

4pm meet in the pub - by the time kick off arrives I won't know if sterling is playing or not.

No you will be asleep if your other posts are to be believed :smile:
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I heard on the radio this morning that apparently the last time we scored more than 2 goals in the knock out stages of a tournament was 10 years ago against the mighty Trinidad & Tobago.
    We didnt fact Trinidad and Tobago in the Knockout stages... That was in a Group game.

Although it was that tournament when we last won a knockout game which was 1-0 against Ecuador
  • Options
    edited June 2016

That was a group stage game and we won 2-0.

Denmark 2002 is my guess.
  • Options
    I can understand the logic of Sterling playing. Iceland will park the bus fishing trawler, and how all his lack of form, Sterling does have the tricky feet and unpredictability that might create something.
  • Options
    So whats the plan tonight then guys????

I am hearing Iceland will pack their defense and "park the bus" just like Wales, Russia, & Slovakia did.

We could not break any of those teams down enough to gain a confident win (we nicked it in the last minute against Wales) so what are we gonna do?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    If that forward line up is correct with Lallana being replaced with Sterling,

A. Hodgson has realized you can't play the worse two finishers in the front three together.

B. Hodgson is willing to gamble that Sterling will find his form in a tournament game, even thou for the last few months of the season
    Navas kept him out of City's 1st team.

C. If Hodgson doesn't know his best team now; FFS when will he ?

D. Hodgson's new name the tinkerman ?

E. Even thou Adam Lallana has not scored for England in 27 games,
    He has played well in all 3 matches, bar hitting every chance straight at the keepers,

F. Uncle Roy needs to be a better gambler than "call me Dave."

G. Hodgson is a cockwomble ?

This must be 1 game too many for Iceland, just Like Hungary
    and the two Irish team

• Options
    I think we have been playing well but not converting our chances. If we get an early goal we could beat Iceland by two or three goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have all been supporting England long enough not to expect a relaxing evening - whatever the outcome!
  • Options
    Not normally optimistic regarding England, but fancy a 3-0 win tonight with Kane grabbing a couple.
  • Options
    Clutching at straws, the constant rotation of our players as we look for the right combination

a) is keeping them fresher - as we are in the final round of 16 game, our QF will be 3 days after the 1st one and we will have less rest before the SF and Final (ha)
    b) means we aren't so worried about suspensions. Only Dier (and the 2 CBs) would be major losses if banned, everyone else has been rested, substituted or brought off the bench
  • Options
    I've been told (at work) that Lallana has been replaced by Sterling because of an injury
  • Options
    If Lallana is injured - it would be better to replace him with Rooney
  • Options
    Iceland are due to name the same team for the 4th consecutive match.
  • Options

If Lallana is injured - it would be better to replace him with Rooney

I assume Rooney will come back in for Wilshere
  • Options
    From quite a knowledge of Icelandic football - I would pack out the width, rather than squeeze it in the middle. I'd play Clyne in behind Walker on the RW who would tear them to shreds - they have weak links but they can get away with these when everything is pressed. Great crosses and runs from deep will undo them. Their keeper has only been professional for 2 years, they all rate him over there but I think he's a liability and a mistake waiting to happen (as we've seen in their first few games)
  • Options
    Oh and he's 32, by the way..