Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v. Iceland

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2016
    You can feel the tension when the French play - that has to be a good thing if we get to face them. I do think the Irish can give them a game though so we might not.

I feel with England that they are close. They just need the spark to ignite. Hodgson, apart from throwing away the easier half of the draw, passed up an opportunity to ignite that spark by messing around with the team against Slovakia. We found something against Germany, then played a completely different team in our next game a few days later. Then you lose what you have found. It doesn't mean we can't step into gear against Iceland though!I still can't understand why a manager with his experience would be so foolish. I suppose there is the saying, there is no fool like an old fool!

Hodgson is a good manager, but he is weak. He cares that he wants to give as many of his squad a game. Where as the point of a lot of the squad is cover if needed - they understand that. Had his team played really well against Slovakia, he would have given himself a selection problem. Basically what the idiot has done is guaranteed he will lose his job if England don't reach the semis.
  • Options
    Greenie Junior said he would rather not that he wanted him too. There's a difference.
  • Options
    I hope JBG plays really well, scores a couple and England win. This would be the perfect result as it would mean England through and perhaps a few extra pence on the undisclosed transfer fee.

• Options
    You all seem to hope for a draw against France for the quarter-finals.
    If I'm not mistaken, a win against Iceland (for me a comfortable 3-0) and England will play winner of Spain-Italy.
  • Options
    adrian said:

If I'm not mistaken, a win against Iceland (for me a comfortable 3-0) and England will play winner of Spain-Italy.

You are mistaken. It would be France/Ireland in the quarter final
  • Options
    adrian said:

No Germany will play the winner of that game.
  • Options
    yes, the path is set out now
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I can't get my head around how anybody who is English would want England to lose a game?

Because it would be funny. Want isn't the right word though.
  • Options
    Yup, I was mistaken.
    I won't be for the England win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

This is a poxy draw for us

It will be another dominating performance knocking on a door with 10 men behind it. Rather play a side that has some pedigree or at least shows some ambition

So you keep telling us Carter, but I am sorry I cannot buy into this anymore. According to all the "experts" on here we have had three group games were in each game our opponents have parked the bus with 10 men behind the ball.

The reason we have not been convincing I am told is because we "play on the break" and this style is not suited to play against 10 men defending?

Well I am sorry but if we have not learnt enough in the three group games and cannot pick a team from 23 with a week to prepare that is capable of breaking down a stubborn defense then we deserve whatever is coming to us.

• Options
    edited June 2016

I can't get my head around how anybody who is English would want England to lose a game?

Because it would be funny.
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    No England losing would be HILARIOUS.

Seriously, WTF is going on.
  • Options

Because it would be funny. Want isn't the right word though.
    "Funny"?

What a "unique" outlook.
  • Options

No England losing would be HILARIOUS.

Seriously, WTF is going on.

Note to self - ignore England related threads on CL.
  • Options

I'm pretty sure it would it wouldn't be.
    Now that's sentence is hating England!

I don't see what's hard to understand, I want England to win but it would be funny if they got knocked out by Iceland. Club before country for me I don't take internationals that seriously or put JD sport England flags on the mirror of a car every 2 years.
  • Options
    It's a shite draw because have people have pointed out, we're set up to play on the break which only works against teams that come forward. Can't see Iceland doing that.

But it's knockout stages at a major tournament and it's England. It's things like this that make you realise how much you love football.
  • Options
    I am more into Charlton and the England cricket team than our national football team, however when a tournament comes around I can't help but caught up in it all. Hopefully JBG will play well but England have to progress or I will sulk.
  • Options

I don't see what's hard to understand, I want England to win but it would be funny if they got knocked out by Iceland. Club before country for me I don't take internationals that seriously or put JD sport England flags on the mirror of a car every 2 years.
    Each to their own. But I still fail to see what would be funny about it.
  • Options

Yeah but how funny was it when Charlton got knocked out by Northwich Victoria. Couldn't stop lol'ing for days. Good times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2016

Yeah but how funny was it when Charlton got knocked out by Northwich Victoria. Couldn't stop lol'ing for days. Good times.
    I remember it well VG - oh how we laughed. In fact im glad you mentioned it as ive been Lol'ing over it again.

• Options

I hope JBG plays really well, scores a couple and England win. This would be the perfect result as it would mean England through and perhaps a few extra pence on the undisclosed transfer fee.

........ which will go into Roland's back pocket and help him think he can make money this way. I really hope not.

• Options

Is it just me being so underwhelmed by England in the competition that a small part of me would laugh its plums off if Iceland were to beat us?

You seem to have got a lot of stick with this but I understand your sentiments.

I watched the England vs Wales game in a pub and when Wales scored there was lots of laughter. It was a sort of 'typical England'. Enthusiasm for the game came back when we equalised. It reminded me of when we went one down to San Marino (I think?) after something like 7 seconds - if you didn't laugh you'd cry. Maybe it's because it's the complete underdog - as I wouldn't laugh if we went one down after 7 seconds and Ronaldo scored the goal.
  • Options

I was at that game....
  • Options

I was at that game....
    So was I . The trains were so bad I only got back yesterday .
  • Options
    Kane, Vardy and Sturridge must play in this one.
    Have Vardy and Sturridge as the central strikers and give Kane a free role to go to the right or left. The lack of quality balls from midfield will be the only thing which could make it difficult.

England to win by 3 goals, as long as Hodgson picks the correct team from the start.

Walker and Rose as wing backs will be so important as no Townsend and Sterling's poor form means they are vital to opening up Iceland's defense.

Roy please get your act together now and TELL the players what you want them to do. Iceland must be knackered with all the running they have done.
    This should be one game to many for the SSONS.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Is it just me being so underwhelmed by the opening comment on this thread that a small part of me would laugh its plums off if we smashed Iceland out of sight, 14-0 and, at the final whistle, all eleven players ripped their shirts off to reveal tattoos saying "HAVE THAT WASCHARLEYONE"?

I said I'd like us to stuff Iceland, I just remain unconvinced by England. It's that fucking simple.
    Oh thank goodness it's that simple. Because some people might have thought you'd said something else. Like, "a small part of me would laugh its plums off if Iceland were to beat us".
  • Options

I was at that game....
    So was I . The trains were so bad interesting I only got back yesterday .
    #properCharlton
  • Options
    Sorry Muttley
    If he is weak he is not a good manager .
  • Options

So so weird. I Would rather JBG broke his legs and had to retire than him score a winner to knock us out the euros.

that is a triely horrific thing to say or to "like" that you actually wish that a professional footballer breaks his leg and never plays football again. This site is becoming more extreme by the day for which I blame KM and all the negativeness that she has engendered in us all.
    Yeah cos that's what I said hahaha. You're actively looking for something to be offended over here. Strange human.