Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brentford vs Charlton Post Match Views

Comments

• edited March 2016

Steve Brown was very critical of both Motta and Fanni. Said both were guilty of going to ground in their own box, thus looking likely to either give away a pen, or taking themselves out of the action.

But the general impression of those two on here is more positive.

The impression I had was that Brentford had plenty of chances, and Nick Pope kept us in it. Doesn't sound like a defensive improvement to me. On the other hand, we did not cave in after Diarra went off, which was a positive surprise.

More thoughts from those who were there?

I'm with Brown on this Prague and there was no defensive improvement in all honesty (although only conceding one could obviously be considered as such). First half in particular we were all over the place again at the back, and the constant side swipes and digs at each other shows either a lack of managerial/coaching direction, or just general discontentment. As I mentioned previously, Motta lacked discipline in the first half when we had corners and the attempts to drag him back to provide the required cover for their left winger were fruitless. What's even more worrying is when this was happening, the bench made no effort to intervene, despite Pope's apoplectic efforts to get Motta back!!

Mind you, he's had a cap for Italy so I guess that gives him the right to do as he pleases!!!
  • How many made the trip?

Took me at least an hour and a half each way, might not have gone fastest route.

Rotherham to Wednesday is less than half an hour in the car.

Took me two hours forty minutes by train going, and two hours ten coming home. Would not have missed it for anything. Support was brilliant from everyone, and appreciated by JR and the lads!
  • What was Sanogo doing for the first goal? It looked like he was sliding in to knock Harriot's shot off the line. Can only presume he was trying to get a touch so he could be credited with a goal but he ran the risk of being adjudged offside.

• The impression I had was that Brentford had plenty of chances, and Nick Pope kept us in it. Doesn't sound like a defensive improvement to me. On the other hand, we did not cave in after Diarra went off, which was a positive surprise.

More thoughts from those who were there?

Pope made a couple of saves, a couple of things flashed across the six yard box, Pope had a couple of flaps at crosses and Bees missed a good chance just after half time. Sanogo had one powerful 1st half header just wide from Harriot's excellent whipped in-swinging cross and a rocket shot blocked outside the area. After Bees missed their early 2nd half chance, it became more even as we started to win our share of the loose balls. Once we went ahead it was reasonably comfortable. We even had a couple of decent breaks towards the end but couldn't find the final ball.
  • Diarra is most probably the main difference, he's the only real quality this team has. A real midfielder who holds the team together. One of those players that could go an entire season without winning a fans motm but could be the player of the season on consistency. Still too little too late in my eyes but that's Fraeye's fault and RD's fault more importantly.

I think that an ex world cup finalist will not be keen on division three football next season, so I imagine he'll be on his toes with the other dozen or so.
  • Diarra is most probably the main difference, he's the only real quality this team has. A real midfielder who holds the team together. One of those players that could go an entire season without winning a fans motm but could be the player of the season on consistency. Still too little too late in my eyes but that's Fraeye's fault and RD's fault more importantly.

I think that an ex world cup finalist will not be keen on division three football next season, so I imagine he'll be on his toes with the other dozen or so.
    For sure. Promotion hunting teams should be looking at him, infact he'd have no problem in French top tier atm, reads the game real well.

His age is a factor so I think it is possible to keep him - but it all depends on the owner. You can't work out what his plan will be!

His age is a factor so I think it is possible to keep him - but it all depends on the owner. You can't work out what his plan will be!
    Duchatelet does not know his plan himself!
  • Sponsored links:

Did he go off injured or am I imagining that ?
  • PL54 said:

Diarra is most probably the main difference, he's the only real quality this team has. A real midfielder who holds the team together. One of those players that could go an entire season without winning a fans motm but could be the player of the season on consistency. Still too little too late in my eyes but that's Fraeye's fault and RD's fault more importantly.

Did he go off injured or am I imagining that ?
    Went off injured and the physio had to help him across the pitch to the tunnel at half time.
  • Can't see him playing Tuesday then. Did Poyet achieve anything when he came on ?
  • PL54 said:

Can't see him playing Tuesday then. Did Poyet achieve anything when he came on ?

Diarra's looked like a muscle pull. Looked like he might be out for a while but you never know.

Poyet started badly in the short spell up to half time (seemed to have lost the ability to tackle) but in the 2nd half he did close a lot of space down and get his foot in. I think he just needs games and to have his football brain re-programmed to what is needed at this level rather than U21/semi-training game level.

• A thoroughly enjoyable day and, whilst it was an uneven performance, we deserved the win against a disjointed and off-colour Brentford side. Two cool and composed finishes from Callum Harriott made the difference and I'm delighted for him after the stop-start nature of his career and the stick he's taken as a result. Like all our home-grown players, he never gives anything other than his absolute best, even when things are going against him and the team. The SLP have reported that we have a one year option to extend his contract. I hope that the club has a rare outbreak of common sense and exercises it, rather than releasing everyone out of contract to get the wage bill down and replacing Callum with some inept European who is wholly unsuited to the demands of League 1.

After our excellent start, Brentford got back into the game and we were all over the shop defensively in the first half. The non-existent marking for the equaliser was atrocious and Judge was a real threat down the left. Nick Pope and Morgan Fox did very well, but we were otherwise very shaky, particularly in central defence. An inability to retain possession in midfield - an ongoing problem for the team - only served to crank up the pressure.

The game meandered a bit in the second half and Brentford offered very little going forward, notwithstanding the level of possession they enjoyed. We improved defensively and after we went ahead, I thought we were reasonably comfortable. Indeed, with a bit more composure in the final third, we would have put the game to bed earlier.

As well as Harriott, Pope, Fox and Motta (in the second half) played very well, whilst Sanogo proved an awkward customer up front, where he ploughed a lone furrow until Makienok came on and helped to create some chaos for Brentford's back four. I thought that Suk-Young had a poor game, as did Gudmundsson, although his cross for the second goal was excellent. That's more than can be said for his several corners which, with one exception, were pretty awful. Perhaps we should get Morgan Fox to take them and leave Gudmundsson on the edge of the box to try and rifle back anything that comes his way.

One other minor quibble. Why does Jose always introduce the ineffective Reza instead of Lookman ? The space that Brentford were leaving towards the end was tailor-made to be exploited by Ademola's pace.

A pity about those serial underachievers, QPR, capitulating at MK Dons but hopefully we can close the gap on Tuesday.

Well he definitely said he is not planning for relegation.
  • Despite the concern over the random loan signings... Sanogo / Motta / Fanni / Young all seem to have strengthened the team well

Agree but deffo Yung had a poor game, often looked lost especially during defensive corners. Didn't think highly of him on that showing.
  • edited March 2016

Diarra is most probably the main difference, he's the only real quality this team has. A real midfielder who holds the team together. One of those players that could go an entire season without winning a fans motm but could be the player of the season on consistency. Still too little too late in my eyes but that's Fraeye's fault and RD's fault more importantly.

We know what the plan is - to break even. I think RD would be happy if we broke even this season, even if that meant going down. A bit like "the operation was a success, but the patient died."
  • Dazzler21 said:

One other minor quibble. Why does Jose always introduce the ineffective Reza instead of Lookman ? The space that Brentford were leaving towards the end was tailor-made to be exploited by Ademola's pace.

Sees more from Reza in training than Lookie?
    Maybe Lookie is not 100%

Maybe Roland likes Reza?
    Maybe Roland likes the idea of selling Lookman?

Either Riga doesn't rate Lookman, or we are protecting our assest for a tasty sale at the end of the season, thus giving Roly the chance to break even = success.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Maybe Lookie is not 100%

Maybe Roland likes Reza?

Either Riga doesn't rate Lookman, or we are protecting our assest for a tasty sale at the end of the season, thus giving Roly the chance to break even = success.
    Don't get that.. If your trying to maximise his value play him get him scoring goals create hype around him. Watch his value soar!
  • I think either Lookman isn't fully fit or a decision has been made to keep him for next season and having him in the shop window too early wouldn't help with either staying up or keeping him.
  • PL54 said:

Can't see him playing Tuesday then. Did Poyet achieve anything when he came on ?

He's didn't stand out as doing anything of note. It's strange watching him now, dunno if he's lost something in his game at the moment or he just can't be arsed but there isn't the same work rate or getting stuck in that there was before.
  • I think either Lookman isn't fully fit or a decision has been made to keep him for next season and having him in the shop window too early wouldn't help with either staying up or keeping him.

I doubt keeping him on the bench for stoppage time in a game is impacted by the desire to sell him. I thought bringing Reza on was a bit odd, but I'm guessing it was to help defend set pieces if need be, then look to use his pace on the counter. In general, I think his game awareness is better than Lookman's (an 18 year old with ~12 league games) at this point. In stoppage time when you're ahead, you need a wise head who has played in big games.

• Dazzler21 said:

Maybe Lookie is not 100%

Maybe Roland likes Reza?

Don't get that.. If your trying to maximise his value play him get him scoring goals create hype around him. Watch his value soar!
    There could be a deal done already and then explains him being used sparingly. A bit like Jenkinson before he went to Arsenal.
  • Rob said:

There's a bit too much optimism on this thread. Knowing us we'll lose on Tuesday to MKD.

If you set out believing you wil fail then that inevitably is what will happen...
  • Agree. @Rob if we don't win on Tuesday it will be your fault. Hope you're proud of yourself...
  • edited March 2016
    great win great atmosphere will still go down but was a great day out. if we can put a little run together then who knows.

Points remaining 33

Points off safety 8

Tuesday March 8 MK Dons (H)
    Sunday March 13 Middlesbrough (H)
    Saturday, March 19 Sheffield Wednesday (A)
    Saturday, April 2 Birmingham City (H)
    Tuesday, April 5 Ipswich Town (A)
    Saturday, April 9 Queens Park Rangers (A)
    Saturday, April 16 Derby County (H)
    Tuesday, April 19 Bolton Wanderers (A)
    Saturday, April 23 Brighton & Hove Albion (H)
    Saturday, April 30 Leeds United (A)
    Saturday, May 7 Burnley (H)

think we need 6 wins from that lot and just cant see it plus we have to rely on others to slip up;

teams around us run ins;

MK dons

08MAR 2016 Charlton
    12MAR 2016 Hull City
    19MAR 2016 Brighton
    02APR 2016 Fulham
    05APR 2016 Wolves
    09APR 2016 Rotherham
    16APR 2016 Preston North End
    19APR 2016 Sheff Wed
    23APR 2016 Brentford
    30APR 2016 Ipswich