Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brentford vs Charlton Post Match Views

Comments

• Needed the win.

Worse off now than we were at start of day.

• edited March 2016
    James46, Letthegoodtimesroll, jonseventyfive, holdkneebomb,
    and also Soapboxsam, you all went for 2-1 win to CAFC on the preview.

Good shout.
  • Actually, nice to be off the bottom. Going up the table is always positive. Just hope we don't cock up on Tuesday.
  • edited March 2016

Despite the concern over the random loan signings... Sanogo / Motta / Fanni / Young all seem to have strengthened the team well

The last three of those are all quality players so it's understanble.
    Sanogo aside, were there concerns about the players themselves, or just the (late) timing and questionable fitness? Last three are full internationals, and Sanogo (still only 22 I think) is a French U21 and an Arsenal player.

I've been saying for a couple weeks now that if the season were to have started in February, I'd back our squad for mid table, maybe playoffs. Fitness is obviously a concern with various players, but there is quality in this squad. We had seven full internationals on the pitch today, and have another three inured (Igor, Kashi, Bergdich). The level of the Championship has definitely risen in the last five years or so, but ours is a squad, now, finished in February (FFS) that SHOULD be competing.

That all said, cue disappointing 0-1 defeat to MK Dons.

Still, loving today.
  • Given it was the first time my son has seen us win this season and only the third victory for me, I am feeling relatively chipper this evening.

It wasn't a vintage performance by any means and we came up against a Brentford team that couldn't have been further removed from that which we witnessed at the Valley a few months ago. Their crisp passing game of that day has left them and they looked every inch a team with little to play for and we definitely got them on a good day. In saying that, you can only deal with what is put in front of you and we've come up against some poor sides this season and got nothing so I won't be knocking the three points today.

Great performance from Harriott and Pope, Cousins and Fox looked decent too. Although the South Korean lad looked rusty, he offered Morgan decent defensive support and I thought they worked well down that left hand side.

Roll on Tuesday for what is a massive game. Unfortunately, despite my optimism above, I fully anticipate a huge anti climax, poor atmosphere and not the result we need! Hope I'm wrong though........
  • 4 in 41 - told you so Dan :wink:
  • I didn't think we were great today but probably deserved something for the effort the boys put in. Thought Motta played very well although the amount of time he spends winding up the opposition worries me. Never seems far away from a booking. Big shout out to the HG boys who I thought were excellent - Pope, Fox and Cousins. Think Brentford would be a decent team if they had a striker. You can see the difference Gray made!
  • Got to add, the fans getting off the train at Waterloo and singing along the platform was great, turned a few heads at the station!
  • edited March 2016
    A Saturday evening not having to blot our result out of short term memory, might even watch MOD or that over program we will be on for roughly 15 seconds on channel oujameflip whatever.

Well played the lads but I fully expect a good stiff kick in the nads in midweek just so we don't get too cocky...
  • Sponsored links:

• I was just behind at Waterloo station and there were a fair few people taking photos as old bill followed the chants up the escalator.

Well done.
  • jamescafc said:

I didn't think we were great today but probably deserved something for the effort the boys put in. Thought Motta played very well although the amount of time he spends winding up the opposition worries me. Never seems far away from a booking. Big shout out to the HG boys who I thought were excellent - Pope, Fox and Cousins. Think Brentford would be a decent team if they had a striker. You can see the difference Gray made!

I'd be interested to see what happened when Motta got his yellow. The Brentford player was clutching his head, so either he was play acting or Motta was lucky not to see red...
  • jamescafc said:

I didn't think we were great today but probably deserved something for the effort the boys put in. Thought Motta played very well although the amount of time he spends winding up the opposition worries me. Never seems far away from a booking. Big shout out to the HG boys who I thought were excellent - Pope, Fox and Cousins. Think Brentford would be a decent team if they had a striker. You can see the difference Gray made!

I'd be interested to see what happened when Motta got his yellow. The Brentford player was clutching his head, so either he was play acting or Motta was lucky not to see red...
    BBC London thought Motta was very lucky. And Steve Brown was not complementary about Fanni and Motta at all.

• Decent win, fantastic support again.
    Don't get carried away though - Brentford have been thinking about their Summer holidays since they sold Andre Gray to Burnley.

Sanogo - excellent, Cousins - decent.
    Texeira and Motta also put in a big shift.
    but Sun Young seems to have totally lost his talent in the space of 7 days !
  • edited March 2016
    Defensive indiscipline/indifference/ineptitude is what has cost us ultimately. Despite today's win, the defence, especially in the first half, were all over the place!! Constantly digging each other out again and twice at a Charlton corner Pope had to literally run up to the halfway line to try and get Motta back to cover their left winger's potential breakaway. Motta seemed totally disinterested at Pope's protestations to try and get him back! Motta doesn't do it for me, a couple of fancy Dan flicks don't make him a decent defender and his attitude is pony.

Best players today were Fox and Harriott; along with Pope who had his best game in goal. Even Makienok's 5 minute cameo was half decent and he was so unlucky with the shot that rattled the bar.
  • Great result obviously, good old fashioned battle with little quality and we were mostly poor overall. Brentford had better chances and should have scored more.
    Great calm finish by Harriott for the second and had a game where he was always involved but so frustrating the amount of times he lost the ball. Lots of ok performances.
    Overall a decent away day and result but nothing in that performance makes me think we will beat franchise let alone stay up.
  • Good result. This is what we should have done at Fulham.
  • Sponsored links:

• "a wim bo way a wim bo way we never win away..."
  • edited March 2016
  • MrOneLung said:

Needed the win.

Worse off now than we were at start of day.

What? Why?
  • How many made the trip?

Took me at least an hour and a half each way, might not have gone fastest route.

Rotherham to Wednesday is less than half an hour in the car.

• Before the game we were 7 points from safety with 12 games left and a goal difference 15 worse than Mk Dons
    After the game we are 7 points from safety 11 games left and a goal diff of 16 worse than Mk Dons
    that's what mr one lung means

But we have reduced the gap on Bristol city and Fulham to 9 points and got off bottom place
  • 1,175 Charlton at Brentford
    1,212 Hudders at Derby
    2,500 (approx ) Rotherham at Sheff wed
    4k QPR at mk Dons #newgroundsyndrome
  • At last, another win to toast with a drop of red tonight, maybe one glass per point and polish the bottle off for the same reason on Tuesday :smile:
  • Hudders v Derby bating out away attendance is worse for me than the Rotherham Wednesday one but point taken.