Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brentford vs Charlton Post Match Views

Comments

• Curb_It said:

Alex Dyer came in and sat amongst the Charlton fans upstairs today. Had a quick chat. Asked him if he was here scouting which made him laugh. He said he was there as a fan and you could tell that as he followed the game with each kick.

I asked him if he was ready to bring the dream team back to League 1... Didn't get an answer then as I'm sure he looked at me thinking shut up you nuisance I'm trying to watch this game!

Nice man.

By all accounts real top bloke, but as someone who didn't think that highly of Powell at this level, I have to ask, how good is he as a coach given only Powell has given him jobs (West Ham youth aside). I asked a knowledgeable West Ham supporter what they thought of him when he came to us, and said he hadn't really stood out there.
  • He got a lot of chants today. Not as many as Sonogo but second most praised player.
  • All that loud chanting today from before kick off right through until after the match had finished - didn't anybody receive the memo stating the club is doomed to relegation ? Must have been that problem with the post we keep being told about...
  • Sponsored links:

• I have always found fault in Callum's decision making and lack of composure.
    Its interesting that Riga mentioned that he "rushes his decisions" and that they are obviously working on that.
    His goals today showed real composure, so maybe he has made a qualitative leap forward.
    Riga obviously seems to bring the best out of him.
    You could never fault his commitment and he has never bad-mouthed the club or bemoaned the flak he has often got from the fans.
    He could be a real asset in a League 1 campaign.
    How ironic it would be if he walked away now on free, sticking 2 fingers up to the likes of me.

It wasn't until I joined CL that I realized just quite how scapegoated he's been in the past. I've always been a bit iffy on him, but most of what I've seen from him is him playing up front as an out-and-out striker, which doesn't suit him.

He's definitely a player who has looked better under Riga, as, by all accounts, has Cousins. It's really simplistic, but one thing I find often gets overlooked in coaches is whether or not they make individual players better in addition to finding a system and getting results. For me, Riga has done that with Mak, Cousins, and Harriott. I think many will only rate him if he keeps us up, but given he did this last time with Callum and Marvin Sordell (FFS--something no one else has been able to do since he was at Watford), I think it's an indication that he's a good coach.
  • I agree, Riga seems to understand both a players natural position and how to get the best out of them in it.

He isn't afraid of using players outside of their preference but seems to coach the players into what's needed differently there.

He has the benefit of being able to say sensible things as well.

He may not be the best ever but he's good.

• edited March 2016
    Oh, and Pope? I was worried when I saw he was our number 1 today; like young Morgan though, he gave a solid display.

Very vocal and seemed to be confident enough to tell the defence what they should be doing and where they should be doing it. He should be proud of his performance today. Perhaps he could've claimed the ball before they scored - but let's not forget, our defending from corners has been abysmal this season. (Although, Brentford had a number of corners today and only managed that one.)
  • Sanogo, whenn he sauntered around refusing to get back inside and then complained when he was passed to, that was very lazy work.

Still looks like a threat and when going forwards he chased down and won some balls he had no right to.

Riga needs to get him to get back inside though, sloppy
  • My defining memory of seeing Sanogo at Arsenal was that he looked awkward. There's all the talk about the poor touches and missed chances, but he also looked really awkward to defend against. We might be lucky if he gets another three goals in the run in, but as long as he remains a handful, he could create space for Callum and JBG (who can hopefully find better form with more quality in front of him), and be a good foil for Mak and maybe Lookman.
  • Uboat said:

Oggy Red said:

BBC just posted last year's Prem table, showing Leicester with 9 games left......... Bottom - 3 points adrift, 7 points from safety and considerably worse GD than Hull, who eventually made up the 3rd relegated side.

So we're going to stay up and win the league next year? This day just got even better!
    Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Needed the win.

Worse off now than we were at start of day.

What? Why?
    Same number of points from safety and one less game to go. Obviously we are in a better position that if we'd lost or drawn, but re catching the franchise the position is worse than before the game.
  • My Bees mate was sat in front of the Motta incident. Not a red in his opinion...a yellow for a nudge to which Bidwell acted up.
  • edited March 2016

MrOneLung said:

Needed the win.

What? Why?
    Same number of points from safety and one less game to go. Obviously we are in a better position that if we'd lost or drawn, but re catching the franchise the position is worse than before the game.
    Sorry, AddicksAddict, had a few too many celebratory wines when I posted last night! But 'if' we beat them on Tuesday? My heart will burst! It is the hope that keeps us going but also kills us!
  • Simonsen said:

My Bees mate was sat in front of the Motta incident. Not a red in his opinion...a yellow for a nudge to which Bidwell acted up.

That sounds about right. None of the Brentford players reacted as though he'd done anything bad and it was right in front of the 4th official who the ref checked with before booking him
  • SDAddick said:

My defining memory of seeing Sanogo at Arsenal was that he looked awkward. There's all the talk about the poor touches and missed chances, but he also looked really awkward to defend against. We might be lucky if he gets another three goals in the run in, but as long as he remains a handful, he could create space for Callum and JBG (who can hopefully find better form with more quality in front of him), and be a good foil for Mak and maybe Lookman.

This is probably his level, just! Lot of hype surrounding him at present because of the hat trick and quite simply because he offers a different, if not awkward, option. Totally agree with previous comments about his indiscipline allowing him to constantly stray off-side. Many an attacking option was lost due to this, especially second half. However, he worries defenders and that's half the battle.

Perfect opportunity for the introduction of Lookman's pace (for Sanogo) toward the end of the match. As they pushed on they were leaving a lot of space at the back which Lookman possibly could have exploited better than Sanogo.
  • Had MKD and Rotherham lost today and we win on Tues, we'd only be one Point away from safety with ten games remaining and a much stronger squad than we've had for most of the season. That's an indication of how quickly things can turn in football. Yet so many supporters had thrown in the towel with 14/15 games remaining!
    Crazy also that a player like Harriott hasn't been anywhere near the first team for the majority of the season. I shan't be getting excited unless we beat MKD. But I said a couple of weeks ago that if we can go into the last ten games 4 points or less from safety, then we have a good chance. That remains a possibility.

If, but it did not happen.

We are going down comfortably.
  • Steve Brown was very critical of both Motta and Fanni. Said both were guilty of going to ground in their own box, thus looking likely to either give away a pen, or taking themselves out of the action.

But the general impression of those two on here is more positive.

The impression I had was that Brentford had plenty of chances, and Nick Pope kept us in it. Doesn't sound like a defensive improvement to me. On the other hand, we did not cave in after Diarra went off, which was a positive surprise.

More thoughts from those who were there?
  • It's the hope that gets you...
  • MrOneLung said:

Needed the win.

What? Why?
    Because at the start of yesterday the requirement to stave of relegation was to make up an eight point difference over twelve games. Now the requirement is to make up the same eight points but over eleven games.