Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fulham v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• An observation, I haven't seen mentioned.

Yet again, an opposing team take a short corner. A Charlton player goes over, is outnumbered 2 to 1 and they get in an easy cross. This has happened a fair bit this season.

It then continued throughout the game.

I have to say I am very disappointed that Riga didn't stop this. It's so simple, yet we let it continue. Amateurs.
  • An observation, I haven't seen mentioned.

Yet again, an opposing team take a short corner. A Charlton player goes over, is outnumbered 2 to 1 and they get in an easy cross. This has happened a fair bit this season.

I have to say I am very disappointed that Riga didn't stop this. It's so simple, yet we let it continue. Amateurs.

The captain can see that happening. In the end, Bergdich took it upon himself to push JBG over to make the second man, while he dropped back from half-way to pick up JBG's original man on the edge of the area.

The problem with the 1st goal was Poyet's (?) poor downward header that kept the ball in play rather than clearing for either another corner or away.
  • First thing Riga needs to do is drop the players that bottle or can't be bothered, at least go down showing some balls. From Saturday's game JBG and Poyet, would be the first two.

Sadly also feel Hendo is suffering, always loved the bloke but Christ he has had a lot of shit in front of him. His body language is awful, give him a rest see what happens.
  • We usually do quite well against Brighton and Derby at the Valley

Sheffield Wednesday as well usually struggle against us, whilst Leeds is another match that could go either way.

Middlesbrough / Ipswich / Burnley are the ones I'm writing off

This is all we can do mate but I just can't see where the next goal is coming from or the next clean sheet come to that as we can't even defend a corner despite several 6 footers and one at 6'7'' in the side.

We are a rag, tag and bobtail outfit having used 45? players this season which is likely to top 50 by the end, not to mention 3 coaches (so far) in 6 months. How can you build team spirit with that constant turnover, it's madness. There is very little confidence on show and what little there is quickly evaporates when they go behind.

As the two football scouts I bumped into after the Bristol game said to me we need a massive clear out Chrissy Powell style if we go down because they feared for us in League One with our squad. Even in a fire sale they said JBG and Loookman were the only two players who might command a decent fee.

There's two hopes for me now, Bob, RIP and 'No' (RIP Charlton).
  • RedChaser said:

We usually do quite well against Brighton and Derby at the Valley

Sheffield Wednesday as well usually struggle against us, whilst Leeds is another match that could go either way.

This is all we can do mate but I just can't see where the next goal is coming from or the next clean sheet come to that as we can't even defend a corner despite several 6 footers and one at 6'7'' in the side.

We are a rag, tag and bobtail outfit having used 45? players this season which is likely to top 50 by the end, not to mention 3 coaches (so far) in 6 months. How can you build team spirit with that constant turnover, it's madness. There is very little confidence on show and what little there is quickly evaporates when they go behind.

As the two football scouts I bumped into after the Bristol game said to me we need a massive clear out Chrissy Powell style if we go down because they feared for us in League One with our squad. Even in a fire sale they said JBG and Loookman were the only two players who might command a decent fee.

Cousins and Bauer would command reasonable fees, Kashi once fit and Igor (if he gets fit). Tony Watt is still on our books too!
  • edited February 2016

RedChaser said:

We usually do quite well against Brighton and Derby at the Valley

Cousins and Bauer would command reasonable fees, Kashi once fit and Igor (if he gets fit). Tony Watt is still on our books too!
    Possibly but Cousins lack of development at the rate they would have expected was commented upon and Bauer maybe IF he recovers from injury and gets a full season under his belt otherwise he would be a gamble. Kashi, Igor as for Bauer. Tony Watt's original transfer to us was iffy and he had been deemed already gone but this is all by the by the point they were making was that what other Championship clubs or higher would spend serious money on the vast majority of our squad at the end of this season to improve theirs!
  • We were alright until HT- then they scored from their only chance of the first half and we found ourselves one down as per, and a mountain to climb.
    We conceded three goals from corners. Not good enough. And as alluded to by someone else, they kept on doing the short corner which we never reacted to quick enough.
    Ba has been generally dog sh!t this season but was good on Sat, all the more impressive cos Poyet was non-existent.
    Time to cut our losses on Vetokele I think. He can't keep getting 'knocks' and ending up out for 3-4 games. Which is all the more demoralising cos we can't score goals. That's the major issue. Why bring in two more full backs when we are desperate for creativity and goals?!?!
    Mak is and never will be a consistent goal scorer.

Sidenote- what a disgrace that only four of our players came to acknowledge us at the end of the game. Disgusting.
  • Big_Bob said:

We were alright until HT- then they scored from their only chance of the first half and we found ourselves one down as per, and a mountain to climb.
    We conceded three goals from corners. Not good enough. And as alluded to by someone else, they kept on doing the short corner which we never reacted to quick enough.
    Ba has been generally dog sh!t this season but was good on Sat, all the more impressive cos Poyet was non-existent.
    Time to cut our losses on Vetokele I think. He can't keep getting 'knocks' and ending up out for 3-4 games. Which is all the more demoralising cos we can't score goals. That's the major issue. Why bring in two more full backs when we are desperate for creativity and goals?!?!
    Mak is and never will be a consistent goal scorer.

Sidenote- what a disgrace that only four of our players came to acknowledge us at the end of the game. Disgusting.

Totally agree with you re Vetokele.
    Have to question his appetite for playing. But not his appetite.

• We forced Vetokele to play whilst injured and set him back for months and months.

I'm not surprised he doesn't want to give his all for the regime. I bloody wouldn't.

(NB He may be giving his all and have genuine injuries).
  • After a player has been out injured long term, they are vulnerable to picking up a different injury (usually relatively minor) once they play matches again.

It's a general risk when players are rushed back before they have proper match fitness.

• Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016
    Out of the 30 odd players in the senior squad, there are a handful I feel disposed to: Jacko, Solly, Henderson, Cousins, plus a couple of the kids.
    The rest of them can move on and I will hopefully soon forget they ever played for our great club.
  • Simonsen said:

An observation, I haven't seen mentioned.

The captain can see that happening. In the end, Bergdich took it upon himself to push JBG over to make the second man, while he dropped back from half-way to pick up JBG's original man on the edge of the area.

The problem with the 1st goal was Poyet's (?) poor downward header that kept the ball in play rather than clearing for either another corner or away.
    It shouldn't be JBG's job if it's not on his wing, if it's a quick corner by the time he's swapped wings then that cross is already in the box.

It needs to be Riga's job to apply someone to either side or someone (two in total) perhaps central to do both , JJ should also be having some sort of say but the coach of the team should have this worked out pre match, and if he notices it more than once inplay then stick a stop to it.
  • Jose Riga, Bob Peeters, Guy Luzon, Karel Fraeye - none of these are competitive managerial appointments. None of these have previously managed at a level that equips them for the challenge of managing an ex-premier league club in one of the top European leagues.

I would have a lot of sympathy for the board if they appointed someone on their previous merits and it did not work out. Alan Pardew did not work out, but everyone could see why he was given a go. Dowie did not work out, but I can understand why he was appointed.

Charlton will continue to decline until the owner takes his role seriously himself far, far away, never to return.

Fixed it for you...
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Fulham were near 3 goals better than us. Scoreline flattered them. Sums up our luck this season. And one word for the stewards *****!

The blaming of the stewards is ludicrous. I was very near the heart of the issues late on, and I'm utterly disgusted at the way our fans behaved. The two who tried to invade the pitch were completely to blame and the stewards did what they had to do. I'm in the press room now looking at the evidence, it's mad to say the stewards were to blame.

The abuse given by the young lads near me was making me cringe. If you don't pose a threat to the stewards or the pitch, they leave you alone. It's really that simple.
    It's not that simple. I threw my scarf onto the pitch after Fulham scored their third. Not the smartest thing I've ever done, but as two stewards lead me away (without resisting) to the police (one on each arm) a third broke my finger.

Does throwing a scarf warrant a broken finger, 6 hours in a cell and a charge for throwing a missile?
    That's so ridiculous it's almost unbelievable. My immediate reaction is, there must be more to it. But if not, that's extreme, and well worth a complaint to the relevant authorities.

If you were close ennough to the pitch to get a scarf onto it, you were presumably in amongst the rabble that were behaving like a pack of animals, so perhaps it's guilt by association?

Most of the stewards kept themselves out of the firing line, and looked like people who would much rather be somewhere else, and avoid any trouble that could complicate their own miserable day.
  • edited February 2016
    saw the older bloke get chucked out dont know what he done but certainly didnt look that menacing i fucked off myself after 70 minutes and he was standing outside the main gates eating his packed lunch from memory, stewards were a bit picky to say the least, personally i didnt have any trouble with them but saw one lad refuse to hand his pint over and got grabbed by about 8 of them slight overkilll, also saw some bloke throw a beer over some blonde girl dont know what that was all about.
  • saw the older bloke get chucked out dont know what he done but certainly didnt look that menacing i fucked off myself after 70 minutes and he was standing outside the main gates eating his packed lunch from memory, stewards were a bit picky to say the least, personally i didnt have any trouble with them but saw one lad refuse to hand his pint over and got grabbed by about 8 of them slight overkilll, also saw some bloke throw a beer over some blonde girl dont know what that was all about.

It's terrible to see age affect someone like that....
  • Anybody notice Ca Plane Pour Moi blasting out of the tannoy.
    Random coincidence or cheeky little dig?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Leaving aside the incidents at the end, the stewards did seem rather officious, 3 of them doing ticket inspections on every staircase to get back into the ground after half time did seem OTT, for example

Maybe, being asked to show your ticket three times could be deemed a minor or unnecessary irritation, but is it worth racial abuse? Doesn't seem worthy of repeatedly calling a young woman a "c***" and then getting mates to join in.
    PL54 said:

Leaving aside the incidents at the end, the stewards did seem rather officious, 3 of them doing ticket inspections on every staircase to get back into the ground after half time did seem OTT, for example

What happened at the end ?
    There were a number of lively characters in the first 10-15 rows. They had been arguing with stewards and each other for much of the game. After Harriott blazed over, it got worse. According to one of the photographers, a young man and woman went and sat in the front row for a few minutes, as they prepared to get on the pitch. When they tried, they were nabbed by the stewards, and latterly the cops.

Outraged that their fellow fans were being kept with the realms of the law, many others surged forwards and started shoving, screaming at, and racially abusing the staff.
    And people wonder why away support is dwindling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tutt-Tutt said:

That's also the opposition scouting. Short corners, signals, blocking off, delivery of the cross, movement in the box and players positions, should all have been covered by the opposition scouts in the previous two matches. Plus the manager/ coaches should be out watching every championship game to pick up this knowledge in advance.

We clearly ain't doing any scouting or we ain't preparing properly. Coaches these days have a PowerPoint print out to show substitutes about to come on where they go at set plays. Do we have that information ready? I haven't noticed, but I'll have a look next Saturday.

Belgian Amatuers.
    But Riga can't get the PowerPoint software, it's Katrien's, all Katrien's, the source of all her power, and the bewitching hold she has over The Shareholder.... Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!!!
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

That's also the opposition scouting. Short corners, signals, blocking off, delivery of the cross, movement in the box and players positions, should all have been covered by the opposition scouts in the previous two matches. Plus the manager/ coaches should be out watching every championship game to pick up this knowledge in advance.

We clearly ain't doing any scouting or we ain't preparing properly. Coaches these days have a PowerPoint print out to show substitutes about to come on where they go at set plays. Do we have that information ready? I haven't noticed, but I'll have a look next Saturday.

Belgian Amatuers.
    Remind me again ......... Charlton stalwart who felt forced out of the club and joined Fulham.
    Knew all our weaknesses.

Thanks, Phil.

• Anybody notice Ca Plane Pour Moi blasting out of the tannoy.
    Random coincidence or cheeky little dig?

I'd forgotten about that, a cheeky little dig me thinks...
  • I predict that Charlton will win 0 games.

There will be a mass exodus of players who can get away in the summer. A few will stay - those who are over the hill and can't get a gig anywhere else, and those who are priced too high for the market.

We will settle into league one with a team of network tryouts and youth product. we will not get promoted, but I doubt we will get relegated either. A steady income from the London shop window will keep us ticking along.
  • Unless we get Vetokele, Diarra and Bauer back I can't see us winning any of the remaining games. Even with them I'm not so sure anymore. We are a right old mess.
  • Oggy Red said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

Belgian Amatuers.
    Remind me again ......... Charlton stalwart who felt forced out of the club and joined Fulham.
    Knew all our weaknesses.

Thanks, Phil.

He's a professional, it's his job - he's hardly going to go there and try and find a way for Fulham to play that would see us win - the rest of the coaching staff at Fulham would see through that straight away !!!
  • "Knew all out weaknesses" feck me thats some data base!

And, let's face it, he'd only be able to speak for so long before someone would collapse... (usually our defence).
  • Oggy Red said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

Belgian Amatuers.
    Knew all our weaknesses.

Thanks, Phil.

He's a professional, it's his job - he's hardly going to go there and try and find a way for Fulham to play that would see us win - the rest of the coaching staff at Fulham would see through that straight away !!!
    That wasn't my main point, though.

More that Fulham have an experienced scout (ex-Charlton) doing the Job.

And we haven't.

Like every other club we play