Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watt to remain at The Valley (ed. GONE Blackburn to get much needed game time again)

Comments

• Options
    Another wind up from our club. Always get rid of the fans favourite. Ok, yes we get it, in fact most of us got it when Kermo was offloaded. Keep winding us up and take what consequences are coming your way!
  • Options
    I don't disagree with you really, but the fact that he remains our best striker is depressing in itself.

You could argue that Igor is better, but he hasn't been fully fit for over a year, and is carrying excess timber.
  • Options
    This is pathetic. A point where we need the whole squad to rally round, but a potential match changer is deemed problematic and shipped off to a rival club. But we can't even sell. What earthly good is a loan at this point? Sell him if he's a problem and buy a replacement before the transfer window.......ahhh yes. We dragged this out and now there's no time left to buy a replacement or even scout one on www.youtube.be.
    Pathetic
  • Options
    Although he infuriates me sometimes, there are plenty others in the club I would loan out before him. The squad is absolutely threadbare, and they're going to let him go. There had better be a "better" replacement coming in, or this will be yet annoying ludicrous decision to add to many by the regime.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

Reza came on as sub on Saturday and was flattened by the B'burn goalie

To which the ref gave the foul against Rezza, not sure how he was supposed to get out of the way.
    The ref did not give a foul against Rezza. No foul given, ref stopped the game immediately the seriousness of the incident was recognised and then restarted the game by asking the opposing goalie to give it back to Charlton. The goalie kicked the ball out of play.
    That's not true. The keeper headed the ball out of play so it should have been our throw. He awarded a free kick to them which was a ridiculous decision.
    Agreed the goalkeeper headed the ball, which went out of play. However the ball went out of play after the ref immediately blew the whistle, having recognised the seriousness of the clash.
    But play was restarted with a free kick to Blackburn. He must have given the foul otherwise it would have been a drop ball.
    The trend these days is not to have a drop ball. The position on the edge of the area greatly favours the attacking side. Refs these days ask the defending team to give it back to the opposition in a neutral area. On this occasion the keeper did just that, kicking it long and in to touch. Had it been a free kick, the keeper would have kicked it long but kept it in play to offer an attacking opportunity.
  • Options
    Calm down. Katrien has done a brilliant deal with the Venky's. Chicken dinners all round for the next 8 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Lookman is fit then I think we have enough in Vetokele/Makienok/Lookman to score goals. Whether we can stay up will then depend on if the midfield can create enough chances for them and if the defence can keep a few clean sheets, which was what kept us up in Riga's first spell (the 1-0 wins at Forest and Leeds are the ones that I can recall most clearly)
  • Options
    On my next trip to Waterstones,
    they may have to order it from the Cardiff branch ?

How i deal with maverick footballers by Russel Slade.
  • Options

If Lookman is fit then I think we have enough in Vetokele/Makienok/Lookman to score goals. Whether we can stay up will then depend on if the midfield can create enough chances for them and if the defence can keep a few clean sheets, which was what kept us up in Riga's first spell (the 1-0 wins at Forest and Leeds are the ones that I can recall most clearly)

you missed out Reza
  • Options

you missed out Reza
    that may have been deliberate!
  • Options

Another wind up from our club. Always get rid of the fans favourite. Ok, yes we get it, in fact most of us got it when Kermo was offloaded. Keep winding us up and take what consequences are coming your way!

In that case why don't everyone sing for Johnson or whoever is considered the most disposable player?
  • Options
    Has he actually gone or is it just the Crawley rumour still at the moment (albeit Crawley seems to have the ear of the club so seems likely if he is reporting)
  • Options
    But how would we choose the most disposable player from the ranks of disposable players?
  • Options
    If we stand any chance of ending our goal drought then surely he must play.
    mrbligh said:

It's not all about goals with tony. He scares defenders, makes them think twice, makes them stay back leaving space for the midfield to push into. None of our other forwards do that

Don't worry, somebody deemed to be better than this will come into fill the void...have faith in the regime!
  • Options
    has he gone yet or are we dropping him off at Blackburn after the Rotherhan game?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This has seriously pissed me off. They'd better have a bloody good DJ in for the next home game, or I'm going to be furious.

I thought playing Bob Marley's Three Little Birds before the Blackburn game showed that someone had a sense of humour if not realism.

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Firstly I'm a massive TWWW fan but it's not factually correct to say we have nobody else like him. We have Ade Lookman (when fit) and if it really is a matter of budgets, and you have to choose between them..... Which one would you want to keep?

Except we all know full well it doesn't have to be a matter of budgets, it's just some enforced bullshit from Roland which will ultimately put him more out of pocket. Imagine a world where we don't have to choose between them and can play them both, and then imagine that that world exists, we're just refusing to engage with it. Well stop imagining, because that's our lot.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I can't agree with the first bit at all. Mak has deteriorated into some sort of fragile weakling, slow and ineffective but happy to flail about on the pitch at the final whistle like he's just donated a kidney to the cause. Vetokele since the injury has been shit and we don't know what we're gonna get from him yet. Lookman I rate, but we can't pin our hopes on someone who made his first team debut only a few months ago.

In fact, looking across the whole team, they're not good enough to stay up in my opinion. I haven't seen JBG turn up since Hull at home. All this faffing about getting him signed up in the summer hasn't as yet been repaid. I know JJ nailed on how effective he was coming back with those goals against Fulham, Sheff Wed and Brum, but can you honestly say he's been playing well since then? I don't think so and he looks off the pace IMO. Cousins has been sucked into the demise. I'm not questioning his commitment or that he has some talent, he just won't look good with the crap around him.

Then our defence that has let in 3+ goals on about 10 games this season. It's a joke of a team and they're not good enough. We have 18 games left we're 21 points. What will keep us up this year 45pts? IF, and that's a big if, we need another 5 wins plus some draws. We've got 4 wins from 28, 2 of which came in the first 4 games.

Game over
    Igor has looked pretty good over the last few weeks, he's not at his best, but he's getting his sharpness back, and working hard as well,
  • Options
    It would have been pointless keeping Watt is he did not want to be here and enough of those in charge on the playing side did not want him either. In that instance, however good the player, his presence would have been divisive and his performances never 100%. Can't stand the way the club is run but in this case I can see the logic. That said, they knew Watt would not feature even when the Cardiff deal fell through so they should have plugged that gap long ago.
  • Options

cabbles said:

I can't agree with the first bit at all. Mak has deteriorated into some sort of fragile weakling, slow and ineffective but happy to flail about on the pitch at the final whistle like he's just donated a kidney to the cause. Vetokele since the injury has been shit and we don't know what we're gonna get from him yet. Lookman I rate, but we can't pin our hopes on someone who made his first team debut only a few months ago.

In fact, looking across the whole team, they're not good enough to stay up in my opinion. I haven't seen JBG turn up since Hull at home. All this faffing about getting him signed up in the summer hasn't as yet been repaid. I know JJ nailed on how effective he was coming back with those goals against Fulham, Sheff Wed and Brum, but can you honestly say he's been playing well since then? I don't think so and he looks off the pace IMO. Cousins has been sucked into the demise. I'm not questioning his commitment or that he has some talent, he just won't look good with the crap around him.

Then our defence that has let in 3+ goals on about 10 games this season. It's a joke of a team and they're not good enough. We have 18 games left we're 21 points. What will keep us up this year 45pts? IF, and that's a big if, we need another 5 wins plus some draws. We've got 4 wins from 28, 2 of which came in the first 4 games.

Game over
    Igor has looked pretty good over the last few weeks, he's not at his best, but he's getting his sharpness back, and working hard as well,
    He's looked sharper than before yes, but do we know we're going to get the Igor back we had in the first 11 games of the 14/15 season. too early to tell
  • Options
    Is he our best striker? He's scored, what, 2 league goals? He's had more scraps with his teammates than that.

I can't see a problem with getting rid. The idea that 'Charlton are the problem' doesn't hold water. He's had well documented attitude problems at Celtic and Standard.

I can't stand the current regime, but Watt going is not bad news. Him staying and disrupting a squad that needs to stick together would have been.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Game over
    He's looked sharper than before yes, but do we know we're going to get the Igor back we had in the first 11 games of the 14/15 season. too early to tell
    He already looks far more of a threat than Big Mak, both on the floor AND in the air, because of his movement
  • Options
    I absolutely understand that with Watt it's not all about goals, but there was talk on here of him being our goal threat. Yes, he can scare defenses by running at them, and hopefully create for himself and others in doing so (3 assists this season). Again, it seems that he either 1) directly doesn't want to be here and has asked away, or 2) he has personality/attitude issues that mean he cannot fit in with the others. I suspect he is being loaned instead of sold because we can't find a buyer. My guess is his reputation very much precedes him.

As to where the club are failing, first off not having a proper manager for a good 2-3 months, one who might have been able to intervene, was a huge blow. But beyond that, not having a chief scout and director of football, and given that we seem to be trying to hit financial targets without a sustained, implemented vision, leaves us in a place where we are going to lose a good player and don't look to have a replacement. For me, that is the crime here. Given where we are, it is always possible we will lose our best players, and being second from bottom only makes the vultures circle.

But we would be in the same position if Watt had broken his leg, say. If that happens, we should have an infrastructure of people who know both what the manager wants for the short term, and the type of player who can benefit the club in the longer term, have targets identified, and start negotiations straight away. This should have happened in November.

Given that we have a lot (numerically) in terms of forwards, many of whom (RVT, Lookie, Reza, Callum, JBG, CC if fit) can play as wide attackers, I think we need to be looking for a creative midfielder. The option to play 4-3-3 would be great, but a central trio of Cousins, Poyet, and JJ/Diarra/Ba desperately lacks creativity. You have good workrate, good shielding of the defense, but I just don't see anyone who can unpick defenses.