Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Wolves - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2015
    http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/10/attacking-balance-counter-pressing-and-winning-second-balls-lijnders-reveals-klopps-3-key-elements/

Suggest KF reads this and digests it.

The irony of playing long ball to strikers, target players and wide men is that you automatically create more second ball situations and we clearly don't focus on this in training because our second ball success rate is poor - either due to poor positioning/anticipation by our players or equally, as I suspect, by a lack of pace and fitness where it matters.

Possession is the best form of avoiding too much second ball and that is a game CAFC have moved increasingly away from in recent months.

Possession with penetration through forward passing and using the channels requires good movement, good understanding, technical ability of a good first touch, good weight of pass, players with pace and physical strength, the ability, shape and technique to recover the ball quickly when losing possession (the Barcelona 6 second rule) and most importantly, hard work - we do not seem to have the quality with the current, injury-ravaged squad.
    We are a country mile away from this dream scenario at this moment.
  • Options
    It really is so depressingly sad. It's infuriating beyond belief that this current ownership/regime think that they can just use this club as a play thing and treat us with such contempt. I truly believe that R S***alot gets a sadistic buzz out of using and abusing us and is more than happy to lose a few quid (relatively speaking) as he plays around with a London football club. The Football League really needs to tighten up its rules and regs now when it comes to ownership as this is one experiment too far.
  • Options
    Perhaps we aren't too high on RD's priorities: Today Sint Truiden are 14th in Belgium Premiership which means they qualify (remarkably) for the play-offs for a place in the Europa League......Ujpest are 4th in the Hungarian Premiership and a point off automatic qualification for the Europa League......Alcorcon are 6th in the Spanish Second Division (a Play Offs slot for promotion to La Liga)....even Carl Zeiss Jena are 3rd in the German Regional League North-East. Given our squad is at least as strong as Sint Truiden and clearly better than Alcorcon he would, from his point of view (wrongly, as he under estimates how strong the UK Championship is), regard us as his only failing team. Could be he feels that a thorough purge is due in SE7 with a rebuild from scratch.

Ominous
  • Options
    Great post FF
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt Member
    7:55PM

seth plum said:

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT VAZ TE BRINGS TO THE PARTY THAT TONY WATT DOESN'T?

Vaz Te must have a bloody good agent.

I watched him closely today and he wasn't interested. He didn't want to know. He wandered around as if he was sulking about not being chosen at CF. Pathetic. Unless it's on a plate in front of him, he ain't moving for it. When he had a chance, he sliced it wide from the penalty spot position, got up, shrugged his shoulders and wandered back to the halfway line.

When I pointed this out in our last match I got abuse from our resident munter Colin (who seems to be somewhat silent after this debacle.) Similarly I labelled Reza a fraud for pretending to chase down but in reality makes sure he never runs the risk of getting hurt. Today his ploy on throw-ins was to point down the line towards another Charlton player, avoiding eye contact with the thrower, so that the throw never came to him. He has more bookings than goals this season. No doubt Colin will rave about these two...again
  • Options
    The only good thing today was the stand-up protest after they scored. At least now, if the deluded one claims it's only 2% we can officially get her sectioned.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Usually I'm pissed off when I have to work during a game, oddly today it didn't bother me. Fuck off Karel
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    unless we get some players in there only one way for us L1
  • Options

Perhaps we aren't too high on RD's priorities: Today Sint Truiden are 14th in Belgium Premiership which means they qualify (remarkably) for the play-offs for a place in the Europa League......Ujpest are 4th in the Hungarian Premiership and a point off automatic qualification for the Europa League......Alcorcon are 6th in the Spanish Second Division (a Play Offs slot for promotion to La Liga)....even Carl Zeiss Jena are 3rd in the German Regional League North-East. Given our squad is at least as strong as Sint Truiden and clearly better than Alcorcon he would, from his point of view (wrongly, as he under estimates how strong the UK Championship is), regard us as his only failing team. Could be he feels that a thorough purge is due in SE7 with a rebuild from scratch.

Ominous

Thank you for these interesting stats, simonmatthews.

A professional football club is a business and, like all businesses, it has budgets, operating costs/overheads and break even points.

Players wages play a bigger part in the cost structure of a football based business than any other major overhead in any other business I can currently think of.

If you look at the size of our current squad compared to the likely revenue the club attracts annually from season tickets, League & TV hand outs, player sales and ancilliary revenue received from off-field activities and services, it is not surprising that the club is currently struggling both on the field, due to the horrific injury crisis and off the field as the income stream stutters along.

Please could somebody put me straight here but, is it not true that a player needs to be paid whether he's injured or not? I have never heard of statutory sick pay applying to a pro footballer - but maybe it does?

Either way, if we have to fulfil contractual pay commitments to both short and long term injured then we clearly cannot bring in new or loan players when the budget is already spoken for.

Simple business economics or have I missed something?

In reality, either Roland has to dip urgently into his war chest or he needs to get some outside investment - there is no time to deliberate on this - it is a must do.
  • Options
    This was my fifth game this season[supported since sept 67].I didnt want to come but my sister is married to a wolves fan so I was committed.If I was offered a free half season ticket in the best seats I would say thanks but no thanks.The players must hate playing in that poisonous atmosphere .As Fanny said its not their fault .Most are not ready/good enough but tried hard[except vaz te who is a lazy shit].It makes me sad.I care of course care but it will be the 7th relegation I have seen and I dont want to allow myself to feel as bad as I did for the last 6[I can still remember going to fulham v sunderland[0-0] the day we had to get a better result than them[fulham] at blackpool in 1972 and dont want to feel that bad again.The trouble is I will and long after Roland and Katrien have gone I will be at the valley hoping it will be better next time.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Paper-thin Div 1 squad, pub team Manager, arrogant/lying stooge CEO, lunatic Chairman.
    As football fans we all need hope. With these people in charge, there is no hope.
    Will I now take a relegation to rid our great club of these despicable arseholes and restore hope? Yes.
  • Options

Paper-thin Div 1 squad, pub team Manager, arrogant/lying stooge CEO, lunatic Chairman.
    As football fans, we all need hope. With these people, there is no hope.
    Will I now take a relegation to rid our great club of these despicable arseholes and restore hope? Yes.

What's to say they would jog on if we got relegated? That's the scary thing about this mob football success appears low down on the priorities.

Whose to say they wouldn't dig their heels in and see us floundering in league one facing relegation to league two just out of arrogance and stubbornness. Wouldn't put it past these kranks.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Yet again another unbalanced lineup. At least give us a chance with a third central midfielder if we're going to play that sort of formation. Second half the game got a lot more stretched, we tired and we're left with a two man midfield and a four front players completely disorganised.

So often we saw players with a lack of options. The defence have the ball, we have two midfielders and four attackers pushing forwards. Where's the movement, where are the overlaps, players dropping deep, linking up etc. Fraeye seems to want us to play a passing game but without a midfield. It's
    making a small and inexperienced squad look even worse than it should.

The players are suffering because of the ridiculous choice of manager/head coach and the way the squad has been built. RDs plan for the club to fund itself through selling players would be far more likely to work with a better head coach/manager and more proven experienced players to ensure the youngsters aren't overplayed or in a relegation battle.

KAG is playing far too often and to make it worse he was played out of position once Lookman went off.

Reza is another that isn't a wide player.

If the squad was bigger and better perhaps Lookman wouldn't have started today and wouldn't have picked up another injury. The way things are going I expect he'll be sold in January. With Gomez and presumably Watt going there really is no reason to sell him so quickly. He's good but is he really ready for Premier League football? He's also under contract until 2018 according to Fraeye.

Vaz Te struggled today but has been a lot more effective in previous games even if he doesn't seem to be much of a goal threat. I guess it's probably down to a lack of fitness.

On the back four again the small squad is causing us problems. Solly was the only player there with decent experience. Individually they may all be decent prospects but Sarr and Lennon have never played a full season of first team football. Fox as has been obvious for a while needs the right type of player in front of him giving him an outlet and support. Not a striker high up the pitch leaving Fox having to pump long balls up the pitch.

I thought Ba did ok especially considering our team and formation. He's another that will find it hard to progress and improve while playing in a struggling and inexperienced team.

The performance and result was like so many games this season. Not sure I'll bother with Forest on Saturday because until there are changes it'll be more of the same.

With the transfer window opening soon it's up to RD to do enough to give us the best chance possible of staying up. Just like last year. But will he? And even if he does, why will it be any different next season?
  • Options
    Such a lack of experience in that starting eleven and on the bench today.

Ba, Lookman, Fox, Lennon, THD, Sarr are all kids with not much championship game time under their belts. That's 6 of the starting 11!!!!

Couple that with a half fit Vaz Te and a 'hit and miss' Reza then they were always going to struggle.

Then throw in a manager who is completely inexperienced and beleagured, a crowd who have rightly had enough, an early injury to Lookman - it makes Wolves ability to only score 2 look utterly pathetic.

Very sad to say that I can't see how this situation will be turned around. The noises from KM in that video suggest that money will not be spent on a decent manager or experienced championship players next month, so presumably they are just praying for a miraculous run of results that will just happen.
  • Options
    I knew it was bad when my lad whose a neutral said it's the worse game of football he's ever seen
  • Options
    edited December 2015

As football fans we all need hope. With these people in charge, there is no hope.

What's to say they would jog on if we got relegated? That's the scary thing about this mob football success appears low down on the priorities.

Whose to say they wouldn't dig their heels in and see us floundering in league one facing relegation to league two just out of arrogance and stubbornness. Wouldn't put it past these kranks.
    I totally agree. I wouldn't put anything past this madman and his puppet.
    That's why, purely hypothetically, I'd take a relegation if it would guarantee their departure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Their previous strategy has been to apply a sticking plaster, and no reason to expect otherwise, they want to stay in the Championship, perhaps so they can attract young talent who would be less eager to join a League 1 outfit.

I expect Fraeye is still there to bring in the new players and will be given a crack at a better squad with 3-4 maybe even 5 new players, with sadly some departures.

Either because he really does have RDs ear or because no other trusted person is available, unless of course he goes shortly.

Not sure anything else would fit with their previous thinking, misguided as it may be.
  • Options
    How can your lad be a neutral?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    That wasn't a football match that was a circus show.

Day by day week by week they are dismantling the club to nothing. We are fast becoming the next Blackpool and it kills to see. For 5 minutes earlier after they scored the fans became united for a few minutes for the first time in ages but it wasn't long enough, part of me was hoping they would score more just so the fans can unite again, but it fizzled out to the point of no one caring when the second went in late on.

• Options
    Great post fanny sums up just about how i feel now.
    Bang on the money legaladdick regarding Reza , bloke is a footballing fraud.
  • Options
    wasn't there and am disappointed at the result (of course) .. let's see if the penny has dropped and we get some ENGLISH backbone and experience into the squad over the next few weeks .. also, we can only hope that a few of the 'injured', the unfit and /or the demotivated get with the programme and start earning their salaries by turning out for the odd game
    .. as to 'formations' and playing style .. the present squad has limited ability and cohesion .. it is futile to try fancy Dan line ups & complicated formations with inexperienced players who find it difficult to adequately mark an opponent or to make an accurate pass .. lets hope that Fraeye sticks to a basic no frills 4 4 2 and saves the fancy theory for his next job on the continent .. unless some money is spent and /or a rethink of how the playing staff is organised and disciplined, we are fucked with a capital FFFFF and the purgatory once more of the third strata beckons ..
    .. on to a Yorkshire January and games against fellow strugglers and a promotion hopeful .. easy it will not be .. the team needs to start showing some backbone on a regular basis and the 'manager' needs to stop fucking about with formations and tactics
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    It was pretty clear from the team being announced that we had little chance. There was some hope during the game as Wolves seemed equally poor. But I was waiting for them to twig that they could attack us a bit more without us posing too much of a threat and when they worked it out, there was only going to be one winner. To be fair to KF, I don't think he could have picked any side to have won that one, with the players at his disposal. He needed to flood the midfield, but didn't have any midfileders. He didn't have any centre halves to play with wing backs either. However, he should have had Holmes -Dennis playing instead of Fox and started with Mackienok - limited player that it is, any manager who understands balance would try to play a player who engages defenders. That can be taking them on, but also physically as in big Mac's case.

The game went largely as I predicted. I said in the prediction thread that it is hard to see anything other than a defeat for a team that finds it so hard to make chances and so easy to make silly defensive mistakes. And so it was.