Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boycott

Comments

• I'll go tomorrow and I will go Saturday ...to be honest, I am no longer sure after that. Boycott may be the only valid response I can give to them.

Whether I can actually go through with a boycott I don't know ...but the fact I am considering it is a concern.

I know a few people, including family members, who have already given up.
  • How many spurs taxi drivers would come to an empty souless stadium?
  • iainment said:

I've stopped going.
    I have enough Going on that's hard without enduring Roland's experiment. To me football is something to make your life more enjoyable. Duchatelet's Charlton currently just drains the life out of me and I can't afford that in my life.

Likewise, but it has done before and things have changed. I'm just going to ride it out, protest in whatever way I can (can't boycott but would walk out), and hope for that fantastic feeling of euphoria when KM/RD go as I felt when we went back to the Valley.
  • Time for a Geoffrey, folks ?
  • Talking of the boycott. I am a season ticket holder and did not go today. My mate went and told me that Crossbars and Bartrams were packed. What happened to the boycott of anything that is sold by the club. I think it is about time some of our fans do what they keep threatening and stop giving the club money...
  • I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote on an e-mail to my brother a week or so ago when trying to persuade him to boycott:

I think Belgian culture is similar to French culture in respect to what is relevant here. In France people / workers may complain all they want in all the right acceptable ways about something. They may go on protest marches. They may (as the Liège fans did), even break into the boss's office and shout at him. But for as long as it doesn't affect the boss's way of life nothing changes. This is why there are so many strikes in France. This is why the riots occured in 2005. It is even arguably why there are young disaffected youth from the suburbs planning terrorist attacks, although that is quite an extreme argument I agree. You'd have to live in France for a while to get a feel of it. No-one cares unless they are directly affected. There are several things I dislike about French culture and this is one of them. This is also one reason why I distrusted Duchatelet from the start.

Ultimately if the fans don't go they will listen because it will directly affect their plans. Otherwise they won't listen, protests or no protests. It's that simple.

RD will stumble on as you put it; it's just a question of how long for. If we agree that the club's fortunes will inevitably continue to go downwards then it's best to put an end to it as soon as possible, even though that requires short term hurt to the club. Consider Duchatelet like a gangreen if you like. And if that means at the end of it that we have a Target 10000 campaign it will be instead of the Target 5000 campaign not instead of a 20000 one.

If I come back to England for a visit I may go to an away game but I'm not setting foot inside The Valley.
  • Fair play to the person/persons who threw the Pinocchio stickers from the Upper West before kick off. A fair amount seemed to land in the directors box and on the pitch.
  • Decent crowd today, noticeably busier all around the ground so the numbers looked legit.

I can see Blackburn on 23rd Jan being a mid 90's crowd though.
  • Today broke a lot of defensive walls.

The Covered End coming out with the 'anti-Meire' stuff is a big start.
  • Sponsored links:

• redbuttle said:

Talking of the boycott. I am a season ticket holder and did not go today. My mate went and told me that Crossbars and Bartrams were packed. What happened to the boycott of anything that is sold by the club. I think it is about time some of our fans do what they keep threatening and stop giving the club money...

I was in crossbars before, at half time and after the match and it was far from packed. After the game I've never seen it so quiet. And btw I'm only in there so my son can go to the toilets, don't intend spending a penny until things change. Get a few dirty looks for wearing my black and white scarf in there too!
  • redbuttle said:

Talking of the boycott. I am a season ticket holder and did not go today. My mate went and told me that Crossbars and Bartrams were packed. What happened to the boycott of anything that is sold by the club. I think it is about time some of our fans do what they keep threatening and stop giving the club money...

Crossbars was empty at halftime.

• edited December 2015
  • As I suggested when I started this thread, the Blackburn game is the ideal match to boycott.
  • edited December 2015
    The people who are boycotting have been replaced by tourists.
    (some even speak English)

To boycott a team who are 23th in the Table has no effect at all.

Every team in the last 100 years who struggle in the football league
    lose their crowd, It's a facile gesture.

It only has an effect if you boycott a winning team.

I'm a fighter and will always encourage my team,

Superb By the crowd who haven't thrown in the towel to
    Let KM know we don't want them.
  • The people who are boycotting have been replaced by tourists.
    (some even speak English)

To boycott a team who are 23th in the Table has no effect at all.

Every team in the last 100 years who struggle in the football league
    lose their crowd, It's a facile gesture.

It only has an effect if you boycott a winning team.

I'm a fighter and will always encourage my team,

Superb By the crowd who haven't thrown in the towel to
    Let KM know we don't want them.

I disagree that a boycott of a team placed where we are would have no effect. Gradually dwindling crowds are a natural result of a team falling down the table. But, a complete boycott of any team, regardless of position would generate publicity on a national scale.
  • edited December 2015
    jamescafc said:

Get a few dirty looks for wearing my black and white scarf in there too!

Is this seriously happening to some of our fans? Do people not want the best for our club or do we simply have a lot of ostriches following us? I was gutted today to have missed out on a free black and white scarf.
  • I keep promising myself I wont go back for a while, maybe even walk down to Hayes Lane and catch a Bromley match... but whenever I get the chance I jump at heading to The Valley.

It's shockingly difficult to walk away from.
  • Sponsored links:

• If your going to protest do it properly, no black and white scarfs, boycotting, invade the pitch on mass hols the game up and attack rather than being limp wristed. ..u want to make noise and make a point then be more aggressive
  • I'm at the stage now where I am up for doing anything that gets the point and doesn't get me a criminal record. What sort of stuff can we start sneaking in that will cause a fuss that won't endanger anyone?
  • Small drone carrying an anti Roland banner. It could be flown from outside with directions from someone inside by mobile phone.
  • Handed back my season ticket to the ticket office after the game today told the guy behind it to pass it on to Miere. After I done it it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Never thought I'd feel like that thanks Pinnochio and Ratman you have truly broken me
  • What about boycotting the food and drinks on a particular match?
  • How about inviting the media to report on a mass 'season ticket handing back day'?
  • I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote on an e-mail to my brother a week or so ago when trying to persuade him to boycott:

I think Belgian culture is similar to French culture in respect to what is relevant here. In France people / workers may complain all they want in all the right acceptable ways about something. They may go on protest marches. They may (as the Liège fans did), even break into the boss's office and shout at him. But for as long as it doesn't affect the boss's way of life nothing changes. This is why there are so many strikes in France. This is why the riots occured in 2005. It is even arguably why there are young disaffected youth from the suburbs planning terrorist attacks, although that is quite an extreme argument I agree. You'd have to live in France for a while to get a feel of it. No-one cares unless they are directly affected. There are several things I dislike about French culture and this is one of them. This is also one reason why I distrusted Duchatelet from the start.

Ultimately if the fans don't go they will listen because it will directly affect their plans. Otherwise they won't listen, protests or no protests. It's that simple.

RD will stumble on as you put it; it's just a question of how long for. If we agree that the club's fortunes will inevitably continue to go downwards then it's best to put an end to it as soon as possible, even though that requires short term hurt to the club. Consider Duchatelet like a gangreen if you like. And if that means at the end of it that we have a Target 10000 campaign it will be instead of the Target 5000 campaign not instead of a 20000 one.

If I come back to England for a visit I may go to an away game but I'm not setting foot inside The Valley.

Thanks for posting that, JM.

Very interesting perspective.

• fattmatt said:

How about inviting the media to report on a mass 'season ticket handing back day'?

Media involvement is required without a doubt; embarrassment may be the only way of being listened to without it being received with a smirk.