Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boycott

Comments

• Problem with a boycott is there are a few fans that are attending as many games in a row as the can sort of like Seb and following his lead. I know Paul, who I think probably still holds the record of consequetive game at the moment, can now due to circumstances only attend home games, people like him I can't see agreeing to "not turn up". A mid game walk out would be more effective, in actual fact MORE people turning up for that arranged game would be better because a thriving ground becoming an empty ground in a matter of minutes would look great. There will still be a few loners scattered about that just want to watch the football but they suddenly become insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It needs to be properly organised and planned, the scoreline should be irrelevant, if it's publicised enough the players will know about it before it happens anyway.

Agreed, this is probably a better idea than just simply not going at all.
  • What would be our equivalent of tennis balls on the pitch, do that and leave
  • Boycotts won't work because he's already making a loss and let's not forget this isn't big money for him to lose. You want change we need to go after his tech companies and the best way to do that is same same way as certain organisation called anonymous do things.

This. Don't need to be underhand about it. His companies must be on Social Media. Why not just target those twitter/facebook accounts with some very specific wording, ensuring it is all kept factual. Once his businesses get drawn I to it he will act. Everything else is 'noise' IMO.

Likewise a website, www.katrienmeire.com to promote her factual achievements to the rest of the world and assist future employers may focus other minds too.
  • I do also like the idea of everyone getting up say, 5 mins into the second half and leaving. This would be quite impressive if it worked. Should be done during play (i.e not at HT) as this would be most visual.
  • Fans will make individual decisions whether to attend or not. After the last feeble protest in the car park I don't see much future in trying to stir the fans into action, whether it's a boycott or protests.
  • Problem with a boycott is there are a few fans that are attending as many games in a row as the can sort of like Seb and following his lead. I know Paul, who I think probably still holds the record of consequetive game at the moment, can now due to circumstances only attend home games, people like him I can't see agreeing to "not turn up". A mid game walk out would be more effective, in actual fact MORE people turning up for that arranged game would be better because a thriving ground becoming an empty ground in a matter of minutes would look great. There will still be a few loners scattered about that just want to watch the football but they suddenly become insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It needs to be properly organised and planned, the scoreline should be irrelevant, if it's publicised enough the players will know about it before it happens anyway.

Whilst in principle it's a good idea, how do you get the message out to the current crop of stay-away fans that aren't on social media etc.? I would guess there are more fans staying away that aren't part of internet forums and groups so you would need them involved to have any impact. Even if you do manage to get hold of them, it's not going to be easy to persuade those fans to turn up for a game only to walk out again. I don't think it's an easy task to achieve.
  • Fans will make individual decisions whether to attend or not. After the last feeble protest in the car park I don't see much future in trying to stir the fans into action, whether it's a boycott or protests.

If we all care for this football club, then we won't give up fighting. The protest at the Leeds game was low on numbers, but people cared to be there. We never gave up fighting Greenwich Council to get back to the Valley. If we had, then we may have not have a football club today.

We need that fight to shine through us all once again. Everyone fighting for the club we love. Not to see it being slowly killed by Duchaletet and Meire.

Whilst in principle it's a good idea, how do you get the message out to the current crop of stay-away fans that aren't on social media etc.? I would guess there are more fans staying away that aren't part of internet forums and groups so you would need them involved to have any impact. Even if you do manage to get hold of them, it's not going to be easy to persuade those fans to turn up for a game only to walk out again. I don't think it's an easy task to achieve.
    Facebook, Twitter, all forums. Then tell everyone to get the message to other Charlton fans that don't use these things, get an article in the newspaper, hold a big banner up outside the valley. The trust could use their email links, everyone knows someone,if we start the planning enough in advance we can reach everyone, even leaflets through doors if necessary.
  • se9addick said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Won't happen - too many fans, myself included probably, just can't do it.

But I would happily turn up and give them a piece of my mind for 90 minutes and take part in something that gets the attention of the widespread media.

2% banners and scarves don't do that. Neither have achieved any sign of change.It's getting to the point where something drastic needs to be done.

and it's people like you that's the problem. we're not asking you to stay away forever, just sufficiently enough to make a point.

but I also think people like you, should ask yourself, why do you continue to go and watch a club in free fall, you can't possibly find any enjoyment in it, or can you?
    I'm the problem? Pack it in mate.

If I genuinely felt as though the fanbase as a whole were really serious about boycotting a game then I would do it. But I know that it just won't happen.
    but the problem is you and supporters like you. why do you have to have the support of everyone else?

you surely can't enjoy what you're witnessing on the pitch?

be brave and make a stand, if you feel passionately about the club. if you don't then just continue to show up and do nothing, like so many others.
    Wind your neck in mate, "it's people like you" that are the reason that a protest boycott will never happen.
    I assume you're also the type that just shows up regardless?
  • Sponsored links:

• Redskin said:

cafctom said:

But I would happily turn up and give them a piece of my mind for 90 minutes and take part in something that gets the attention of the widespread media.

2% banners and scarves don't do that. Neither have achieved any sign of change.It's getting to the point where something drastic needs to be done.

and it's people like you that's the problem. we're not asking you to stay away forever, just sufficiently enough to make a point.

but I also think people like you, should ask yourself, why do you continue to go and watch a club in free fall, you can't possibly find any enjoyment in it, or can you?
    Jesus, what a patronising post. Who the fuck do you think you are?

'It's people like you...'

Shut up.

Redskin said:

cafctom said:

Shut up.

and how blinkered are you?
  • se9addick said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

I'm the problem? Pack it in mate.

If I genuinely felt as though the fanbase as a whole were really serious about boycotting a game then I would do it. But I know that it just won't happen.
    but the problem is you and supporters like you. why do you have to have the support of everyone else?

you surely can't enjoy what you're witnessing on the pitch?

be brave and make a stand, if you feel passionately about the club. if you don't then just continue to show up and do nothing, like so many others.
    Wind your neck in mate, "it's people like you" that are the reason that a protest boycott will never happen.
    I assume you're also the type that just shows up regardless?
    I was there yesterday if that's what you mean.
  • shirty5 said:

Fans will make individual decisions whether to attend or not. After the last feeble protest in the car park I don't see much future in trying to stir the fans into action, whether it's a boycott or protests.

If we all care for this football club, then we won't give up fighting. The protest at the Leeds game was low on numbers, but people cared to be there. We never gave up fighting Greenwich Council to get back to the Valley. If we had, then we may have not have a football club today.

We need that fight to shine through us all once again. Everyone fighting for the club we love. Not to see it being slowly killed by Duchaletet and Meire.
    Yes, it's the low numbers that worry me.
  • In-fighting again ...sigh

We make it so easy for them.
  • I agree with a boycott. I don't believe in this rubbish that you have to 'keep supporting the team whatever'. Of course you support the team but they're performances have been abject for far too long and the owners decisions have just as much negative impact on them as anyone but given he's their employer they have to remain subjective towards it, we don't though, and the only way to hit this owner is where it hurts. Of course what you really need is a 70% boycott and that is hard to imagine.

A boycott of future fan forums is a nifty thought though. Accept the invitations and then all go to the Bugle and have an evening there. Leave the pair and whoever else with an empty room, that will get some attention and also destabilize any possibility of her receiving any kind of sexist abuse.
  • I can see the attraction of a single game boycott, perhaps coupled with an organised march to the Valley. That way, people who have already resolved not to attend again could participate. It would also raise the profile of the protest.

Airman suggested something similar for the Oxford home match in March 1987 (I think) when we were trying to get home. In the event, the Board announced their intention to do so some weeks before the game.
  • A walkout will fail, because in true Charlton style we'll score just before or being playing well and winning and everyone will decide that it's all okay after all.
  • Uboat said:

A walkout will fail, because in true Charlton style we'll score a consolation goal just before or being playing well and winning and everyone will decide that it's all okay after all.

• Redskin said:

cafctom said:

Shut up.

Redskin said:

cafctom said:

Shut up.

I'm not.

• I really really want to boycott but my weekends wouldn't be the same without Charlton. It's also precious time for me and my son as I rarely see him during the week.

I am reconsidering Bristol as £30 to watch this nonsense when I could be spending it with my family is a lot of money but I'll most likely make the journey.

Fair play to those that do though, I'm with you in spirit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redskin said:

Redskin said:

cafctom said:

Shut up.

Redskin said:

cafctom said:

Shut up.

I'm not.

so what do you hope to achieve by turning up week in week out and don't say support the team.
  • I'm going to take January off and take it from there. Bolton game was painful viewing and then checking the scores yesterday just did it for me. Wishful thinking that we might have a new manager and 3 or 4 half decent signings by 1st Feb?
  • I'd rather a mid game walkout or similar. Boycotts just look like a crap crowd

Think a walk out is a great idea.

I'm sure a lot of fans have things like a run of unbroken home games going on and wouldn't boycott for that reason - and of course some just don't feel they could boycott anyway.

However, all that said Katrien would probably laugh and Roly wouldn't give a shit.
    Of course they would laugh because they'd still be getting the money in. The only thing is to not go. If they have an empty stadium with no money coming in then that would really hurt them. Isn't the whole point to hurt the bastards as they are hurting us?
  • jamescafc said:

I really really want to boycott but my weekends wouldn't be the same without Charlton. It's also precious time for me and my son as I rarely see him during the week.

I am reconsidering Bristol as £30 to watch this nonsense when I could be spending it with my family is a lot of money but I'll most likely make the journey.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic but I do find it hard to understand why fans are willing to put up with this nonsense.

honestly please tell me, what possible enjoyment do you get by going to games at the moment?

and don't forgot you could be prosecuted for cruelty to a minor!
  • Redskin said:

Redskin said:

cafctom said:

Shut up.

Redskin said:

cafctom said:

Shut up.

I'm not.

so what do you hope to achieve by turning up week in week out and don't say support the team.
    I didn't say I turn up week in, week out and I didn't talk about achieving anything.

I said your post was patronising,

I asked you who the fuck you thought you were,

and then I told you to shut up.

You're out of your depth on this one, and don't have the wit to express whatever half-arsed point it is you're failing to make.

• I don't want to miss games - although I'd rather not go through the pain of watching us play 90 minutes of shite either.

Currently I don't feel I can summon the energy to head for The Valley on 28th December. It's a bank holiday, and I have the chance of spending quality time with the family, so it almost seems a no-brainer to go and do something non-football related.

I'm also asking myself if I can be bothered with a season ticket again next year. I can still be Charlton without one, and I don't see why I should line Roland's pockets when I may end up missing games cos I can't be arsed. Plus my time is increasingly being taken up with my youngest starting to play football for a local team. That's where I'd rather invest my footballing passion at the moment.
  • Already doing it. Last couple of weeks I've been at my local non-league side with few mates, beers on the terraces, few hundred there, great atmosphere. Football as enjoyment, not torture. I can't continue to support this regime through buying tickets. Gutted it's come to this, but needs to be done.
  • jamescafc said:

I really really want to boycott but my weekends wouldn't be the same without Charlton. It's also precious time for me and my son as I rarely see him during the week.

That is probably the weakest response yet. Take him swimming. he only goes to please you anyway.
    Not sure you should be telling people how to raise their children. Are you and @sillav nitram indicative of the people organising this "boycott" ?
  • Redskin said:

Redskin said:

Redskin said:

cafctom said:

Shut up.

Redskin said:

cafctom said:

Shut up.

I'm not.

I didn't say I turn up week in, week out and I didn't talk about achieving anything.

I said your post was patronising,

I asked you who the fuck you thought you were,

and then I told you to shut up.

You're out of your depth on this one, and don't have the wit to express whatever half-arsed point it is you're failing to make.

oo nasty as well.

the point is simple, turning up is supporting the regime, or can't you grasp that?