Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PROTEST - 2.30pm - WEST STAND CAR PARK - 12/12/2015

Comments

• clive said:

rikofold said:

Looks like there will be another protest on Saturday - it's starting to do the rounds on Twitter...

I'm all for it, but would urge fans to stay away from songs pertaining to gender and Belgium. They do us no favours and just give the club ammo.

Who'll be going?

I'll be there with my 'Belgian Women out' banner. ;-)

I'm still not going to attend this type of protest for the same reasons as before, but I urge the same thing Joe - stick to the message and avoid giving them any excuse to dismiss it.

It would probably help if someone was able to organise it a bit.
    What type of protest would you attend ?
    Well if I wasn't on the A2 at the time I would have been part of the 2%, for example.

The issue I have with this one is that it lacks a bit of cohesion - there are no clear objectives to the protest, it's not part of the SIO campaign and as no-one's actually organising it there's no single message to stick to. Is it Roland Out, is it Roland Change, is it just we're unhappy, or is it a free for all on Belgians and women? And the problem is, the lack of organisation means that the last bit may come to the fore. I don't want to be represented by that.
  • rikofold said:

clive said:

rikofold said:

Looks like there will be another protest on Saturday - it's starting to do the rounds on Twitter...

I'm all for it, but would urge fans to stay away from songs pertaining to gender and Belgium. They do us no favours and just give the club ammo.

Who'll be going?

I'm still not going to attend this type of protest for the same reasons as before, but I urge the same thing Joe - stick to the message and avoid giving them any excuse to dismiss it.

Well if I wasn't on the A2 at the time I would have been part of the 2%, for example.

The issue I have with this one is that it lacks a bit of cohesion - there are no clear objectives to the protest, it's not part of the SIO campaign and as no-one's actually organising it there's no single message to stick to. Is it Roland Out, is it Roland Change, is it just we're unhappy, or is it a free for all on Belgians and women? And the problem is, the lack of organisation means that the last bit may come to the fore. I don't want to be represented by that.
    It would be great if we can build on the Wednesday protest, increased numbers and protesting at every home game.

Outside the main entrance as a definite, and I reckon the Covered End would soon carry this on once we went behind, this happens quite a bit so we would not have to wait too long.
  • rikofold said:

clive said:

rikofold said:

Who'll be going?

I find that a bit of a weak argument, although you are perfectly entitled to it. The last protest (I was a silent observer) provoked an unwarranted attack by KM and from it evolved the 2% protest. It is possible that this type of protest may get a little out of hand but only a little at most. KM and RD have to realise that we mean business and the longer we are ignored the more uncomfortable it will get for them. Because the West Stand protest happens right in front of where KM is wining and dining visiting dignitaries she will naturally feel uncomfortable. Well, good!
  • I think you're missing the point. I'm not saying a West Stand protest is unsupportable per se, but I can't support it at present for many reasons, among which are that it has no obvious objective.

The 2% protest had a clear objective and was organised. It meant a simple single message got across and was as well covered in the media as could be expected. And we got the 2% via an political error by KM, not because it was a clear objective of the protest itself.
  • redman said:

I think the objective of the protest is quite simple. Just to demonstrate that ordinary fans are totally unhappy with the way things are being run at the club. People have different ideas of what should be done and this is an opportunity for everyone. The B&W campaign actually suffers from being prescriptive in that many do not agree with it but still want to protest.

The most ridiculous protest is not attending. For ST holders they already have our money. Further loss of ticket sales and income could well lead to a further cut in the player budget for the second half of the season, increasing the risk of relegation and affecting the standard of football.

Finally it hardly supports the team who desperately need us now

The team will have to get used to it as I think we will have a lot of people not going next season.
  • redman said:

I think the objective of the protest is quite simple. Just to demonstrate that ordinary fans are totally unhappy with the way things are being run at the club. People have different ideas of what should be done and this is an opportunity for everyone. The B&W campaign actually suffers from being prescriptive in that many do not agree with it but still want to protest.

The most ridiculous protest is not attending. For ST holders they already have our money. Further loss of ticket sales and income could well lead to a further cut in the player budget for the second half of the season, increasing the risk of relegation and affecting the standard of football.

Finally it hardly supports the team who desperately need us now

This is your objective. Others are chanting Roland Out, others are slagging KM personally, others want Roland to stay and change. It's fine if it's just an opportunity to vent, but that's not a protest I feel the need to support - I don't think everyone sees it the same way, and people vent in ways I could never support.
  • Sponsored links:

• kentred2 said:

rikofold said:

People can show they're unhappy AFKA, of course. For me I prefer to be part of something that has a constructive aim to it. I don't think the club are in any doubt how unhappy we are.

So what aim does the Trust have that is constructive for Charlton rather than Duchatalet and Miere? Nice cosy dialogue? The Trust should be leading the physical protest.
    Well I wasn't speaking for the Trust, but frankly the Trust has managed to get the dialogue that was the mandate of the public meeting, the October survey and the Trust AGM. It is a bit incongruous to then be leading "physical protests" as well (notwithstanding that we'd then be criticised for needing to be leading everything).

More to the point, why do you caricature dialogue as 'nice cosy'? Why on earth would it preclude addressing the issues that fans are protesting about?
  • edited December 2015
    Red7Oak said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

will be there!

I'll wait for you in the bar:)
    You still protesting about the protesters protesting?? Lady t or z or whatever the fluck her name is is supposed to be great!!!!
  • rikofold said:

kentred2 said:

rikofold said:

People can show they're unhappy AFKA, of course. For me I prefer to be part of something that has a constructive aim to it. I don't think the club are in any doubt how unhappy we are.

So what aim does the Trust have that is constructive for Charlton rather than Duchatalet and Miere? Nice cosy dialogue? The Trust should be leading the physical protest.
    Well I wasn't speaking for the Trust, but frankly the Trust has managed to get the dialogue that was the mandate of the public meeting, the October survey and the Trust AGM. It is a bit incongruous to then be leading "physical protests" as well (notwithstanding that we'd then be criticised for needing to be leading everything).

More to the point, why do you caricature dialogue as 'nice cosy'? Why on earth would it preclude addressing the issues that fans are protesting about?
    Because it appears that the Trust's aim is understanding and helping rather than any change that will put football success as the strategy of the club

It could easily be argued too of course that the meeting was not due to the work of the Trust but the outcome of the Sheff Wed protest.

Boycot towards target 5000 and, ever increasing levels of vocal and physical protest are what is working I reckon.

• I'm not going to get involved in reasoning why it happened, and frankly I'm not sure it matters one bit. A man convinced against his will is of the same mind even still, after all.

Rather than head into the type of cyclical argument that some seem to get off on, I'll simply say that it's a good thing in my view that CASTrust is now formally talking with the club and am incredulous that anyone thinks anything other than the club's success is at the forefront of our objectives. You'd surely only take that position if you had a prejudicial view of the Trust.
  • When are your next discussions with the club planned?
  • edited December 2015
    Nice post Jean.

As I said earlier I won't be at the Leeds game due to being away so can't organise anything major.

I suppose for now I am seeing if Target 20k is going to mean something.

If it turns into a dressed up fans forum, which I fear it will, where issues not really pertaining to the actual success of the football club are discussed then perhaps we need to step it up a gear. It would be a huge own goal from KM to turn this into more lip service as she has had a chance here to make some real inroads into the appeasement of fans.

We shall see but for now I am content with the continued support of wearing black and white and the Christmas card idea and also supportive of protests outside the west stand.

Rest assured I will not let this go away though. In the new year after things are a little clearer we can take stock and see where we stand. If more dramatic action is needed I will be the first to put my hand up to help pull everything together.
  • Sponsored links:

• In regards to having some semblance of organisation for this protest in terms of acceptable chants, banner, scarves, aims etc. some may laugh this off, but why not create a Facebook event and get it posted around? As long as aims and what is acceptable are clearly stated and make sure that people know when reading that violence/vandalism/sexism/offensive chants won't be tolerated, will it be OK? Maybe put it under the Black and White social media?

Just a suggestion from reading and watching the streams of the protest (I'm working abroad at the moment) where it seemed somewhat uncoordinated in terms of getting chants going and visual signs of protest.
  • edited December 2015
    rikofold said:

Who'll be going?

It's obvious why the trust do not want to get involved, but why come on a forum and say you are not getting involved? If you have nowt to say regarding this, say nowt