Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PROTEST - 2.30pm - WEST STAND CAR PARK - 12/12/2015

Comments

• I don't think anyone can be bothered being bothered about Charlton anymore. Apart from the Leeds fans, the whole experience today was just boring.
  • braydex said:

Greenie said:

Good luck everyone who does this, we were at the first one.
    But myself and the boys are voting with our feet this time..

If everyone did this, the club would be forced to deal with the situation as they simple could not afford to carry on. All the while everyone is happy to trundle into the ground wearing a black and white scarf, after singing polite songs in the car park for 15 minutes......nothing will change.
    but how do they know the reason why you are staying away? for all they know/

I had a wander by and it looked pretty pathetic

Support the team not the regime

I don't think its as straightforward for everyone to differentiate between the two.
  • Davo55 said:

_MrDick said:

It's now time to get the ground filled with everyone wearing black n white. Let's do our bit to get behind the team and make our point at the end of the season by not renewing our season tickets

I'm in the East - near the North Stand. I haven't seen another person with a black and white scarf on and people were giving me funny looks at mine.

I protested but was disappointed with the turn out. I asked people who I sit next to in the ground and they didn't protest as they see no point, it wont have any effect etc. Apathy. I don't think some of the chants helped our cause at all today.

And another thing! I'm sick of bloody kids being invited to the Valley. They sit just in front of me and don't watch the match, just keep going in and out and wont sit still. Drives me feckin mad. that's why I never had any. Thank god for contraception.
    Well, me and Davo junior are in the East stand block g and we're both wearing our black and white scarves @Arsenetatters. Will you be there on Tuesday? I'll come and say hello.
    Indeed I will @Davo55 ! I'm also in block G - down the front near the kids. Me and one other have the whole of row G to ourselves.
  • stonemuse said:

Her arrogance is astounding

Anyone who puts the blame for KM appearing at the window, please think on this - put yourself in KM's shoes. You'd want to face down a bunch of arseholes singing "she's got chlamydia", wouldn't you? You've been handed a moral victory by a bunch of small-minded idiots.

This is 2015, not 1975. Shouting xenophobic or sexist abuse outside the west stand ain't a protest. It plays into the KM mindset about Charlton being followed by old fogeys.

In the meantime, the rest of us are a bit more worried about the future, and having a club that is still there for us to take daughters, girlfriends, wives and anyone else to.
    If ...and it's a big if ...she could hear this pathetic song and then went to the window, then fair enough.

But it appears she was already there and wants to be confrontational. She knows the issues so why exacerbate them?
  • stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Her arrogance is astounding

Anyone who puts the blame for KM appearing at the window, please think on this - put yourself in KM's shoes. You'd want to face down a bunch of arseholes singing "she's got chlamydia", wouldn't you? You've been handed a moral victory by a bunch of small-minded idiots.

This is 2015, not 1975. Shouting xenophobic or sexist abuse outside the west stand ain't a protest. It plays into the KM mindset about Charlton being followed by old fogeys.

In the meantime, the rest of us are a bit more worried about the future, and having a club that is still there for us to take daughters, girlfriends, wives and anyone else to.
    If ...and it's a big if ...she could hear this pathetic song and then went to the window, then fair enough.

But it appears she was already there and wants to be confrontational. She knows the issues so why exacerbate them?
    Absolutely don't agree with this chant (or any of the other wankers out stuff) but it was right at the end (I went then along with quite a few others) and she had been gloating for quite some time. Not ideal from either side.
  • My protest was I was not there.
    Unfortunately people do not behave appropriately. Insulting obscene chanting will not help.
    From my understanding KM has contempt for existing Charlton fans. She and RD are not running the club correctly.
    I, along with many other fans, want them to change attitudes and their actions considerably or go from the club.
    But the protests must be effective. The 2% posters was well managed and concerted.
    We must not give the moral high ground to RD and KM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redskin said:

Had KM remained invisible for the so-called protest she would have been lambasted for being a coward, but standing in full view and appearing to be totally unperturbed by a handful of people chanting that she has an STD, she is branded 'arrogant'.
    This latest 'protest' was as ineffectual as the last one; KM was laughing? I would have done the same in her position; a couple of dozen blokes making fools of themselves with chants about Chlamydia - yay protest!
    Talk of the next protest must be more organised blah blah blah is pointless. Charlton don't do protests - kicked out of our home a quarter of a century ago? Now you're talking...

The protests are done as are the well-intentioned black and white scarves.The Trust is the only body that has a foot in the door and that is where any chance of 'change' exists.

I've said before I'm no fan of this present lot, but from personal experience I'm a firm believer in give 'em enough rope.They'll be gone one day, we'll still be here and the same people will be moaning about whoever the new owner is 'tearing the heart and soul out of our club'.

The club exists, not perfectly, but it exists and will do for longer than a lot of us.

Support the team: that's our job.

The trust cannot be expected to influence the football management and that is what is fuelling the protests, even though the issues go much wider. Whether protests continue - including people staying away, which is likely to be apparent on Tuesday night - is likely to hinge on results. It's not for you (or me) to call that. Fans don't have a "job"; that's Meire.

I remember Charlton fans singing about John Fryer having AIDS at Wimbledon in 1985, which was just as unpleasant an anything aimed at her in my view. Neither is defensible but that didn't characterise the campaign against the move to Selhurst as a whole and neither will the brief behaviour of a minority yesterday.

I was at the protest yesterday and, as someone said earlier in the thread, it seemed difficult for anyone to start up chants. There were quite a few folk hanging round on the outside (like me) who seemed willing to join in with the 'acceptable' chanting but it was short lived and not well coordinated so people wandered off. IMO if the protests were better managed they would be attended by many more that would way outnumber any of the few who want to chant obsene stuff. I doubt any protest (if planned) would be well attended on Tuesday. But ever hopeful for a decent (in all senses of the word) protest I shall loiter in the car park again.
  • I left before any of this sexist chanting started the worst i heard was Belgian wankers chant. Which I didn't chant to.

Anyway won't protest in this way again as it is disgusting to shout shit like that at anyone! Man, woman or child!

I will wear the black and white scarf and join any organised protest, like joes the other week.

Some ppl should be ashamed of theirselfs!
  • No point in further protests if it's going to be just pathetic personal abuse that makes Charlton fans look like morons. Glad my daughter wasn't there. Sorry Katrien, most of us have a bit more class than that.
  • edited December 2015
    oh what's the point!
  • edited December 2015

Dansk_Red said:

Still approx 2% of the Charlton fans in attendance were at the protest. (8000 x 2% = 160)

Sorry to pick you up on your figures but there was probably less than 30 protesting ( singing anyway ) and definitely more than 8,000 home fans probably more like 11,000.
    I can't be arsed to work those percentages out.
    9,000 home fans today - from an official source
    Airman, honest question. How important is matchday income to Roland? Will he be bothered by falling attendance?
    I suspect it's priced in to an extent. If you think that the Leeds fans yesterday were probably worth about £50k net in ticket receipts (somewhat offset by police and stewarding costs), 1,000 missing match by match purchasing home fans will cost about £15k a game, plus the lost ancillary sales, which are not that significant. So over a season maybe £350k. A reasonable expectation with 10k season tickets would be 3,000 home sales on average, although we've struggled to do that in recent seasons. I'd guess they will be way under budget for home sales, but maybe £500k effect overall. That's about 10 per cent of the operating loss or two reasonable players' wages. I doubt if he'd up the playing budget if the income was there.
  • Who are more sexist than those that say you can't verbally abuse a failed CEO because she is a woman!
  • Redskin said:

Had KM remained invisible for the so-called protest she would have been lambasted for being a coward, but standing in full view and appearing to be totally unperturbed by a handful of people chanting that she has an STD, she is branded 'arrogant'.
    This latest 'protest' was as ineffectual as the last one; KM was laughing? I would have done the same in her position; a couple of dozen blokes making fools of themselves with chants about Chlamydia - yay protest!
    Talk of the next protest must be more organised blah blah blah is pointless. Charlton don't do protests - kicked out of our home a quarter of a century ago? Now you're talking...

The protests are done as are the well-intentioned black and white scarves.The Trust is the only body that has a foot in the door and that is where any chance of 'change' exi
    I've said before I'm no fan of this present lot, but from personal experience I'm a firm believer in give 'em enough rope.They'll be gone one day, we'll still be here and the same people will be moaning about whoever the new owner is 'tearing the heart and soul out of our club'.

The club exists, not perfectly, but it exists and will do for longer than a lot of us.

The trust cannot be expected to influence the football management and that is what is fuelling the protests, even though the issues go much wider. Whether protests continue - including people staying away, which is likely to be apparent on Tuesday night - is likely to hinge on results. It's not for you (or me) to call that. Fans don't have a "job"; that's Meire.

I remember Charlton fans singing about John Fryer having AIDS at Wimbledon in 1985, which was just as unpleasant an anything aimed at her in my view. Neither is defensible but that didn't characterise the campaign against the move to Selhurst as a whole and neither will the brief behaviour of a minority yesterday.

Of course the Trust can't be 'expected' to influence the football management, that's why I said that 'any chance' of doing so lay with them regardless of the fact that save for acknowledging their existence, KM has remained indifferent to their demands.

I'm not calling for protests to stop as I think you were suggesting - I've posted on another thread that if it makes you feel better to protest, do so - merely that they have proved fruitless not to mention embarrassing after yesterday's sparse gathering's moronic chants.
    You may be right about a minority not characterising a campaign - and this 'campaign' has no parity with that of Back to the Valley - but all these half-arsed, ill-attended protests have achieved is the reinforcing of KM's indifference to the supporters' demands.

Lastly, thank God, I used 'job' allegorically and not literally as you well know.
    We pay to do our job, and that job is to support the team.

• Sponsored links:

• Redskin said:

Have you noticed how many people have taken voluntary redundancy in the last 18 months?
    Good luck to those of you still doing your duty, but don't be too surprised to look around and see that you are a dwindling band.
  • Never known protesters apologise to the people their protest is aimed at before.
    Only Charlton.

Actually it happened during the Valley Party campaign. Simon Oelman's wife complained publicly about some kind of abuse she laid at the door of Charlton fans. (The details are in @Airman Brown's book, I'm sure). So we sent her a huge bunch of flowers and made sure the press knew about it. By the time the Thames News film about the campaign, two days before the election, appeared, and included those local residents trying to brand us as hooligans, the game was already up, people had seen we were normal people like them, people they could vote for.

• Never known protesters apologise to the people their protest is aimed at before.
    Only Charlton.

Actually it happened during the Valley Party campaign. Simon Oelman's wife complained publicly about some kind of abuse she laid at the door of Charlton fans. (The details are in @Airman Brown's book, I'm sure). So we sent her a huge bunch of flowers and made sure the press knew about it. By the time the Thames News film about the campaign, two days before the election, appeared, and included those local residents trying to brand us as hooligans, the game was already up, people had seen we were normal people like them, people they could vote for.

More flowers for Katrien!?
  • Charlton til I die and you will have to close the turnstile to stop me going.
  • shirty5 said:

Uboat said:

Never known protesters apologise to the people their protest is aimed at before.
    Only Charlton.

More flowers for Katrien!?
    Venus flytrap
    Now you need to apologise for saying that.
  • Uboat said:

Redskin said:

Have you noticed how many people have taken voluntary redundancy in the last 18 months?
    Good luck to those of you still doing your duty, but don't be too surprised to look around and see that you are a dwindling band.
    Yes, I have noticed, as I have done any number of times over the last three and a half decades: at some point it will change, we'll be in the Premiership and I won't be able to see games because I don't have a season-ticket.
    Plus ça change...