Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton v Charlton - Post Match Thread 2015/16

1234568»

Comments

• oh, so JBG 'rolled' his ankle and wasn't nobbled by some thuggish Seagull then
  • Rob said:

Really we have one experienced, British outfield player with solid Championship experience and that is Jacko. You can't be expected to do well in this league with a bunch of youngsters and foreign players who just don't have the savvy for the Championship. That's is the root of the problem. That's why we rely so much on JJ now. That in itself shows how incompetent and out of their depth are KM and RD. They've created this by their inept recruitment decisions. A cracked record I know but oh so true.

Rob , you could post this again in a years time, and i'm pretty sure nothing will have changed , perhaps JJ moved on.
  • Sigh and it was all going so well! back in the bottom three and prospects are looking grim again. Sounds like a lot conspired against us though. Hoping for three points against Leeds
  • I think we are not too far off having a good side - just needs 2 or 3 additions of the right level to the squad. The problem is, does 'the fool' - from now on, I am referring to our owner as that - realise it?
  • Why cant people just accept we are crap. Seriously how many teams in this division are we better than. Table doesn't lie. League 1 start getting ready for it. Pain will get eadsier. Name one of our players who would walk into any of the top teams in this division...... Exactly none.
  • I think we are not too far off having a good side - just needs 2 or 3 additions of the right level to the squad. The problem is, does 'the fool' - from now on, I am referring to our owner as that - realise it?

I make you right....

Addition 1: 2 or 3 experienced defenders
    Addition 2: 2 or 3 experienced midfielders
    Addition 3: A forward that can hit a cows arse with a banjo with any kind of regularity

Sorted
  • Sponsored links:

• Why cant people just accept we are crap. Seriously how many teams in this division are we better than. Table doesn't lie. League 1 start getting ready for it. Pain will get eadsier. Name one of our players who would walk into any of the top teams in this division...... Exactly none.

Tony Watt already has...
    So you think were good
  • At game 19 in 2013-14 (Powell) we were Played 19 Won 4 Drew 5 Lost 10 For 16 Against 23 Points 17 Position 21st
    At game 19 in 2014-15 (Peters) we were Played 19 Won 6 Drew 10 Lost 3 For 20 Against 19 Points 29 Position 10th
    At game 19 in 2015-2016 (no manager) we are Played 19 Won 4 Drew 4 Lost 11 For 17 Against 32 Points 16 Position 22nd

Our record is the worst since the takeover: we've lost most of our games this season, we can't score and we can't defend. 100% relegation form. We've gone backwards very quickly in the space of a couple of months. Of course the Brighton game sounds like more than a share of bad luck - but if we can't turn things around in the next few games we're going down. Duchatelet and Luzon (?) are at fault for letting 8 defenders go after May and bringing in only 3 replacements, and Luzon is at fault (I would suggest) by being inflexible and stubborn and playing the same formation over and over again in an eight game spell earlier this season despite a loss of form and injuries. Couldn't we have brought Lennon back earlier? Or just played the strongest back 5 available at any time and ground out a few draws rather than slipping to s string of single goal defeats?
  • Duchatelet and Luzon (?) are at fault for letting 8 defenders go after May and bringing in only 3 replacements, .....
    I would venture to say that players coming and going had nothing to do with Luzon...
  • Rob said:

Really we have one experienced, British outfield player with solid Championship experience and that is Jacko. You can't be expected to do well in this league with a bunch of youngsters and foreign players who just don't have the savvy for the Championship. That's is the root of the problem. That's why we rely so much on JJ now. That in itself shows how incompetent and out of their depth are KM and RD. They've created this by their inept recruitment decisions. A cracked record I know but oh so true.

Rob , you could post this again in a years time, and i'm pretty sure nothing will have changed , perhaps JJ moved on.
    The only thing that will have changed is we will be in League one and about 10,000 fans will have naffed it and left..

• At game 19 in 2013-14 (Powell) we were Played 19 Won 4 Drew 5 Lost 10 For 16 Against 23 Points 17 Position 21st
    At game 19 in 2014-15 (Peters) we were Played 19 Won 6 Drew 10 Lost 3 For 20 Against 19 Points 29 Position 10th
    At game 19 in 2015-2016 (no manager) we are Played 19 Won 4 Drew 4 Lost 11 For 17 Against 32 Points 16 Position 22nd

Our record is the worst since the takeover: we've lost most of our games this season, we can't score and we can't defend. 100% relegation form. We've gone backwards very quickly in the space of a couple of months. Of course the Brighton game sounds like more than a share of bad luck - but if we can't turn things around in the next few games we're going down. Duchatelet and Luzon (?) are at fault for letting 8 defenders go after May and bringing in only 3 replacements, and Luzon is at fault (I would suggest) by being inflexible and stubborn and playing the same formation over and over again in an eight game spell earlier this season despite a loss of form and injuries. Couldn't we have brought Lennon back earlier? Or just played the strongest back 5 available at any time and ground out a few draws rather than slipping to s string of single goal defeats?
    We still lose when we play well and have a two goal start, ominous.
  • I have no problem with the players and managers we have brought in.

It is not they're fault they are poo and been asked to play for us.
  • PL54 said:

We went 2 nil up, had the league leaders on the back foot.

Got screwed by injuries and a sending off but fought and fought to no avail.

Brighton mate said they were lucky not to be 4 down at HT.

RD out. Oh and KM.

I agree with the last line - if they'd invested in a stronger squad, we'd have a decent bench and wouldn't miss the injured so much.
  • rikofold said:

Here's an image to clear up the offside - check out the position of the feet.

never mind the feet... why is Sarr jogging... i thought on the day he had come back at near full tilt...
  • edited December 2015
    If we were drawing instead of losing this wouldn't be so bad. *Obviously* but maybe Peeters was better than we thought?
  • Of the 3 defeats Peeters had by game 19 one was against AFC Bournemouth (promoted), the others against Fulham (just relegated - away) and Ipswich (reached the play-offs - home). In fact the Ipswich defeat was our first of the season at home. And only Fulham (0-3) was by a margin of more than 1 goal. So maybe Peeters was ''better'' than we thought. On the other hand it shows two things......(1) The margins in the Championship are fantastically tight, and (2) And sort of related to that, at no point last season - or this - have I felt I was watching a really dreadful team.

Compared to long sections of 2008-2009 or 2010-2011, when I felt Charlton could really slide into League Two, or even the Conference in 2010-2011, the presence of a few game changers in the squad (Jackson, Diarra, Watt (when he can be bothered), Gudmundsson (usually) and, on current form, Ghoochannejhad goes a long way to raise a bit of optimism.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was at the game and I think we’re actually not far away from being a decent team, certainly one that can stay up if we bring in some experienced bodies in January. Our front three will cause problems for any team, (until the owners cash in on Lookman who looks class). Reza and Vaz Te are very clever players, good movement, passing both short and long ball. Reza worked his socks off. Midfield was ok, defence fell apart both figuratively and physically. The sending off was the key. With 11 men I think we would at least have earned a point.
  • Of the 3 defeats Peeters had by game 19 one was against AFC Bournemouth (promoted), the others against Fulham (just relegated - away) and Ipswich (reached the play-offs - home). In fact the Ipswich defeat was our first of the season at home. And only Fulham (0-3) was by a margin of more than 1 goal. So maybe Peeters was ''better'' than we thought. On the other hand it shows two things......(1) The margins in the Championship are fantastically tight, and (2) And sort of related to that, at no point last season - or this - have I felt I was watching a really dreadful team.

Compared to long sections of 2008-2009 or 2010-2011, when I felt Charlton could really slide into League Two, or even the Conference in 2010-2011, the presence of a few game changers in the squad (Jackson, Diarra, Watt (when he can be bothered), Gudmundsson (usually) and, on current form, Ghoochannejhad goes a long way to raise a bit of optimism.

I think Peeters was as bad as we remember. Under Luzon and even under Fraeye I felt that if we turned up we could win a game. Towards the end under Peeters I never felt like we were setting out to do anything other than draw and I was bored to tears. I had no confidence in his ability to get a result after the complicated tactic of 'get the keeper to pass it to Buyens' was figured out