Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton v Charlton - Post Match Thread 2015/16

Comments

• edited December 2015

could be worse .. could be a Chelsea fan ((:>) .. Jose's chaps 1-0 down to Bournemouth.. Glen Murray

one of our most hated, most scapegoated exes is MOM .. yes .. Simon Francis .. sorry to digress
  • Losing 3-2 to Brighton with ten men for a large chunk of the game is excusable. Expecting this squad to be strong enough for this standard of football is pure naivety.

I can't imagine who will be on the bench for the rest of this month let alone how we have anything above a lower League 1 defence and midfield. Are there 10 more of Lookman's calibre that I don't know about?
  • Can't see anywhere what our opening formation was. Anybody there able to enlighten me?
  • edited December 2015
    Despite losing today, it sounds like we showed some very positive signs, and it would appear that the sending off changed things dramatically. But, not only have we lost the points, the game has cost us dear in terms of a suspension and a few injuries. Our small squad may be about to come back to haunt us once again. It's frustrating.
  • In 2009 we led 8 times at half time and lost and got relegated, how many rtimes is that already this season, 3 or 4.
  • Just got back from the game. That was heart breaking. First half we were fantastic and should have been 4 - 0 up. I don't remember them having a shot on target. Losing Lennon was a blow as he and Bauer had it all under control. Then the second half started and.... oh dear.... first Diarra gave the ball away in midfield and they went and scored their first. Then once Bauer was sent off (harshly in my opinion) there was only going to be one result and it wasn't going to be good! I don't think we registered a single shot, on or off target, in the second half, such was their dominance. Having said all that you could not fault the effort. Very worried about the rest of the season.
  • Prepare for League One everybody.
  • edited December 2015
    Brighton got really lucky with that 3rd goal.

Can't believe the flukey way the ball changed direction in mid-air after Hendo's save - yet ended up in the net.

Wind assisted, I suppose?

• Prepare for League One everybody.

Of course, I have the same fears. However, there are some other poor teams struggling away too. My real concern is that our increasingly thin squad means that we lose games we might have eked out a point or even won. I guess a clearer picture may emerge in the coming weeks.
  • Sponsored links:

• The picture is rd/km don't care what division were in as long as we have a production line of youngsters to sell for pitrance
  • Disappointing result but at least we went down and showed this team is capable of playing some football and scoring against the top sides. Much rather that than a limp 2-0 defeat such as Blackburn away
  • Much rather that than a limp 2-0 defeat such as Blackburn away

I wish i left early too.
  • Difficult to sum up today, some of best forward play this season combined with some of the worst defending.

Some of the worst refereeing descisions combined with some of the worst looking injuries in one game.

Saw some of the best skill in the first half, saw us capitulate in the second half.

Fear for the next few games with the likely injury list we will have.

Lots of things wrong with Charlton but today Lady Luck was not even close to being on our side.

• Just got home. After our amazing start only 3 top saves from their keeper kept them in the game. I can't recall them having one effort on target in the first half. Lennon going off was a massive blow.
    We never threatened in the second. Bauer and Noby messed up for their first goal. Once Bauer went I think it was clear to everyone that we needed miracles by the bucket load to hang on. Have not yet looked on here to see whether he went for denying scoring opportunity or dangerous tackle. My failing eyesight, although still better than most championship referees, could not tell from the other end of the ground.
    Been a strong supporter of Fox in the past, but he needs a break, as the opposition are targetting him. Lookman got him out of jail more than once.
    Only one trademark "air shot" from Noby today, which he got away with this time.
    Totally pissed off!
  • Rob said:

Can't blame it on the ref. We lost that. We were 2-0 up and we blew jot. No excuses.

Spot on. No complaints with the red card either. We need an actual professional football manager and fast.
  • Naive management that's cost us 1 or 3 points today.

Surely someone who knows the league would've set the team up differently for some/most of the second half?
  • edited December 2015
    No excuses, the first goal was a disgrace he ran through our midfield onto the back four with barely a challenge. Unfortunately for us we are physically and mentally weak and got what we deserved.
  • Sponsored links:

• One of the best first half displays followed by the worst. Brighton had more ball but didn't threaten for the first 45, great counter attacking football from us (could have been 4-0 by HT bar Stockdale).

We started the second half as if we had 5 minutes to go, then as soon as Bauer got sent off we all knew what was coming (I'm surprised it took them that long to be honest). Ref was shite throughout although I hear the red should have probably been a red. Lookman starred once again.

I'm not sure if this was an encouraging display or not... those kind of games are the hallmark of a relegation season. Injuries and Bauer suspension finish off what has been an absolute car crash of an away day.
  • Rob said:

Rob said:

Can't blame it on the ref. We lost that. We were 2-0 up and we blew jot. No excuses.

Were u there. ?.....
    Eh. No. Blaming it on the ref is always an easy cop out. We lost because of us.
    sam3110 said:

Shit defending for the goals, for all the talk of Diarra in midfield hes the one that loses the ball and just look at the lack of effort to stop the run from Bauer, not to mention Solly not breaking out of a jog to get back, and Sarr trying to square up a player in the box.

Second goal, players don't commit fully to throwing themselves in front of the ball.

Third goal, Diarra out jumped and defenders too slow to react to the parry, leaving an injured Henderson floundering to keep it out.

Looks like our team next week may have to be:

Pope
    Solly Diarra Sarr Fox
    Reza Ba Cousins Holmes-Dennis
    Lookman Vaz Te

With Muldoon and RCC on the bench as midfield cover, if JBG, Jackson, Kashi, Lennon, Bauer, Ceballos, Watt, Vetokele, Henderson and Harriott are all unavailable for selection for various reasons. (Anyone I've missed)

Hopefully Kennedy will be fit and ready as he would fit into the squad well and plays with commitment imo
  • Can't see anywhere what our opening formation was. Anybody there able to enlighten me?

Hendo
    Solly Bauer Lennon Fox
    Cousins Diarra
    Reza JBG Lookman
    Vaz Te

• Just got home. After our amazing start only 3 top saves from their keeper kept them in the game. I can't recall them having one effort on target in the first half. Lennon going off was a massive blow.
    We never threatened in the second. Bauer and Noby messed up for their first goal. Once Bauer went I think it was clear to everyone that we needed miracles by the bucket load to hang on. Have not yet looked on here to see whether he went for denying scoring opportunity or dangerous tackle. My failing eyesight, although still better than most championship referees, could not tell from the other end of the ground.
    Been a strong supporter of Fox in the past, but he needs a break, as the opposition are targetting him. Lookman got him out of jail more than once.
    Only one trademark "air shot" from Noby today, which he got away with this time.
    Totally pissed off!

In defence of Fox Lookman was doing what a left midfield should do - tracking back to break down play with the LB, offer the LB an outlet and work in a triangle with the left CB which for the 1st half was exactly what was happening and was more than effective
    exit Lennon bring on Sarr and unfortunately the shape and options breaks down nothing and the LB position all of a sudden is exposed nothing to do with targeting Fox specifically as demonstrated by bringing on THD to LM later in game he was no more effective.

reality check please we just played top of the league unbeaten in 19 games Brighton and gave them a good game in the first half.
  • That people are saying losing to Brighton is not too bad a thing shows how far this great club has fallen over the years in expectation, ambition and reality.

We are third from bottom and going nowhere under this strategy. There are no positives. Wake up Roland. This is all so unavoidable which is the real kick in the bollocks.

But it is no bad thing losing to Brighton... Too many fans live in the past, the present states that Brighton are in a better position than us and the table doesnt lie.

You could say the same about Bournemouth being above us in the Premier League whilst Huddersfield who won three First Division titles could say they should be beating Charlton and regularly finishing above us.

Simply put... A clubs history gets you no where in the present, yet to KM it is worth remembering it and not worth completely ignoring it
  • The lads should take heart from that performance. The future has potential!
    We are gonna give the Leeds a bloody good hiding!!!
  • Sarr needs to step up. To have Lennon on as a start is embarrassing for the lad and he is very shy of the ball for a CD from what I've seen. Distribution also without any confidence. Needs a confidence building run elsewhere. I think we need a good central defender to hold the line, particularly if Bauer is suspended and Diarra is in midfield.