Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton v Charlton - Post Match Thread 2015/16

Comments

• That people are saying losing to Brighton is not too bad a thing shows how far this great club has fallen over the years in expectation, ambition and reality.

We are third from bottom and going nowhere under this strategy. There are no positives. Wake up Roland. This is all so unavoidable which is the real kick in the bollocks.

But it is no bad thing losing to Brighton... Too many fans live in the past, the present states that Brighton are in a better position than us and the table doesnt lie.

You could say the same about Bournemouth being above us in the Premier League whilst Huddersfield who won three First Division titles could say they should be beating Charlton and regularly finishing above us.

Simply put... A clubs history gets you no where in the present, yet to KM it is worth remembering it and not worth completely ignoring it
    We lack ambition as a club under this ownership. It's shown in our derby performances, lack of cup runs, transfer windows, managerial appointments, player sales and recruitment. This latest turgid shambles experiment by this raving lunatic is taking the piss out of us Charlton supporters. Jiminez and co turned out to be divs but at least they knew what football is about and we would be better off under them had the cash not run out than this.

Yes they've stopped us going into admin but where does the gratitude end for that? If merely keeping a club out of admin, is an achievement these days then the game's fucked and I'm out. It was understandable when Richard Murray had done his best and we were genuinely living hand to mouth and doing the best to stay afloat...I hated it and didn't rate Parkinson but at least you could relate to why it was happening and we sucked it all up and got on with it during the relegations and humiliations against Northwich etc and it was still our club and there was a strong bond and in it together with the board, manager, players and fans.

This is different...the bloke has NO affinity for Charlton Athletic any more than he does for any of the sunday league clubs he's bought up round Europe and regardless of all the tosh that dippy CEO spouts about us being "his children"...fuck off with that patronising rubbish you no marks. You're a multi millionaire/ billionaire....learn something about this league, learn something about this club and learn that your poxy experiment will lead us nowhere and change the approach....or Fuck right off before you relegate us, lose interest and leave us in a worse position than we were in before you rolled up with your circus.

Yours in sport

Peeved of Beckenham

That was weird.

The whole time I was reading I was thinking "I could have written this" and then you finished it with "peeved of Beckenham" and I freaked out a little haha.
  • Scoham said:

I went with a Brighton fan and sat in their end. We started the game with a 4-2-3-1 formation, Cousins and Diarra holding, JBG on the right, Reza centrally behind Vaz Te and Lookman on the left. It was roughly the team I expected as I couldn't see Fraeye sticking with the diamond after the Ipswich game or going back to 4-4-2.

With the front 4 players we had pace and ability on the ball giving us a real threat on the counter. It almost didn't feel real to see us score twice, especially with our first half and away scoring records. Brighton had a lot of the ball but in the first half we competed and looked like we could/should get a result. As the highlights show we had chances to score a few more.

Second half very frustrating to concede so early on and in the way we did. Diarra gave the ball away and we let Wilson run straight through the middle and score. Watching the highlights Bauer had Solly to his right in space but chose to pass Diarra who was closed down very quickly. Brighton haven't won by more than one goal all season and decisions like that can make the difference.

Brighton controlled the whole second half and even though it was an away game and they're at the top we need to be better than that. We were under so much pressure, I couldn't see how we were going to hang on.

Once Bauer was sent off I said we'd probably lose 3 or 4-2 now. You could see it coming by that point. We couldn't keep possession, lost any threat we had going forward and it was down to Brighton making wrong decisions and missing chances that we were still ahead late on.

One of the worst things for me was to see our team at 3-2 down look like they were the ones defending the lead. With not long left we were still sitting back and trying to hold out shape rather than close them down. We the pushed Diarra up front with minutes left but of course without the ball it came to nothing.

Henderson picked up some sort of injury as Sarr had to take one of his goal kicks. Losing Lennon didn't help in that we had one less sub we could make. Bringing on Makienok, as poor as he was last week, would have given us a different type of threat up front.

I didn't want to go over the top with Lookman after last week, but today it was a performance that made him look closer to our best academy players in Gomez, Shelvey etc. Today Brighton pushing up gave him plenty of space on the counter, it'll be interesting to see how he copes as teams become more aware of him and at home where opponents may sit a lot deeper. As well as his well taken goal (with his weaker left foot) and obvious pace he also showed a good touch and used his pace to get a couple of decent tackles in.

I'd have liked THD to start, he's got that bit more pace and skill than Solly or especially Fox which could give us more going forward.

We're in a similar position to last year. Once again it's down to RD to improve our chances of staying up. We need a new manager, a handful of good signings in January and to keep our better players. We've done enough in the last two seasons but if we continue like we are at some point it won't be enough and we'll be back in League One.

Agree with much of that, but we are in a much worse place than last year. We had 28 points going into match 19 last season. We currently have 16. That is a huge difference and if we don't claw some of that back by the end of December we will be stuffed, regardless of what happens in January.
    True, I was more thinking in terms of us yet again being in a relegation battle. Of course last season our better start meant it didn't look that way until January/February time.

Be good to hear opinions of those that went rather than this thread simply turn into another Belgium bashing.

In the train a Falmer. Results like that relegate you. Missed the 3rd goal having a piss.

F off Charlton. Foff Roland. Foff Karel and F off Katrien.

What exactly was the second half game plan? Don't bother at all.

Just f off.

And you.

What I saw is a team come out and work hard but the entire team tired in the second half.

The red card ended us. So disappointed.

I was so happy to see Lookmans first and Reza score again.

Be good to hear opinions of those that went rather than this thread simply turn into another Belgium bashing.

In the train a Falmer. Results like that relegate you. Missed the 3rd goal having a piss.

F off Charlton. Foff Roland. Foff Karel and F off Katrien.

What exactly was the second half game plan? Don't bother at all.

Just f off.

Game of two halves.

First half we were brilliant and probably should have been at least 3-0 up. Bauer's sending off completely changed the game and Brighton dominated from then on. With 10 men we defended quite well and at the 81st minute I thought that we might hang on.

We didn't deserve to conceed two goals late on and lose. No way. Definitely deserved at least a point I feel.

This
  • edited December 2015
    Was there. The sending off was bollox. The injuries and the sending off changed the game

We played well and they were lucky only to be 2 down at half time
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

Unfortunately the early second half goal changed the game. Had we scored a third in the first half we would have gone on to win comfortably. That early goal makes the defence more nervy, which leads to Bauer pulling Zamora back, and 10 away from home to the team leading the division I'd always going to be tough. Having to make 2 enforced changes doesn't help matters and ultimately it's cost us.

Anyone claiming the players bottled it or claiming the head coach is tactically inept is quite frankly a moron, there's no manager in the world who's good enough to mastermind a game plan to deal with a sending off and 2 injuries in that situation

But whatever I'm sure many of you will claim Michael Morrison would never have got sent off in that situation, that Tony Watt would have scored Reza's chances and that Chris Powell would have managed us to a glorious win and its all the fault of 'that bitch' Katrien, 'the puppet' Fraeye and the 'Belgian twat' Roland

Haha who's flagged me on this? My second ever flag, and the only other time was also when I mentioned Michael Morrison's name.

What's your handle on here then MM?
  • Thought Ade's goal was much better than those shortlisted on SSNHQ earlier. The angle and power amazing. There have been a few on here questioning the power in his shooting. Jason Euell needs to take a lot of credit for nurturing his talent over the last year or so.
  • Thought Ade's goal was much better than those shortlisted on SSNHQ earlier. The angle and power amazing. There have been a few on here questioning the power in his shooting. Jason Euell needs to take a lot of credit for nurturing his talent over the last year or so.

He seemed to struggle getting a good connection previously. He would beat a man and sort of scuff it. No such problem today, a rifle into the roof from a tough angle.
  • Apparently Kennedy Muldoon and Vetokele travelled with the first team squad today.
  • Can't be bothered to read other posts. My take. Great effort from the players, could have been four up by half time ( also the opinion of a Seagulls fan we chatted to on the train back to Brighton ). Their keeper played well, they scored a couple of goals that wouldn't have happened on another day. We never, ever, ever, ever hold out for a result when under the cosh.
  • Any video available yet of the Bauer red card?
  • Any video available yet of the Bauer red card?

About 2mins 12secs of the Sky Highlights.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10090346/brighton-3-2-charlton
  • 6 pages of mostly utter bollocks, imho opinion we were 10 mins away from a comfortable win, I hate laying blame for a performance when 14 players put it in, but Diarra killed us today with the mistake for the goal, he wins a great tackle then loses it in the wrong place. Lennon was having a great game, but for you lot looking for a scapegoat, leave Sarr out of it he put in a shift and weren't at fault, and those wanting to slate Fox fuck off as well as Lookman left him exposed time and time again, although after doin it recovered well. The third goal is so lucky spun in after keeper gets his hand to it, second goal is ping pong that drops to Zamora. Do you know what, we put a great shift in, I was proud of them, and you all need to put more effort into supporting them instead of sagging off the board.Lookman is so raw,people ain't got a clue how to play him and has to play through the middle, Vaz T e shouldn't have gone had to be Rezza or Lookman, the space Bruno got second half relates to Lookman, he doesn't have the nous to play in midfield, but another day with my mates supporting the club I love and I wouldn't change it for the world.
  • We were close to getting something from this game, but fate is not in our favour at present. I don't doubt the players commitment today. They gave their all by all accounts, but we are a team shipping 3's far too often and this is going to result in losses most weeks when we have one of the poorest strike rates in the division.

If we were playing better and in top 6 this result would have devastated me, but today it is mere disappointment. Apathy is looming, which is something i've never really felt before. I don't really know what will bring about change in our fortunes, by they say fortune favours the brave. Well who is brave at our club right now, on and off the pitch?
  • Sponsored links:

• Is Henderson injured?
  • "cunning plan".

I misread that and thought it was a bit strong for you Fanny
  • If we could just sign Lady Luck on a free we'd have a chance , prolly more chance of her dj'ing in Crossbars though

13th-21st 50%......... Bottom three 50%
  • edited December 2015
    Some 'highlights' picked out from previous postings that seem pertinent as a summing up..

We played well for 45 mins - should/could have been 4 up.
    We never hold out when under the cosh.-very true.
    We are physically and mentally weak -also very true. Probably down to lack of talismanic leadership without JJ
    We *might* have found something in VT/Reza/AL partnership up front.
    Sorry, but Fox is now being targeted by every team, as they know he's poor.Shouldnt be near the team again this season.

However, the past few weeks have given us some positives in the emergence of AL and THD (dunno why he didnt start yesterday, presumably to rest, buy why an 18 year-old would need a rest is beyond me) - and therefore, should (and of course its a big should) we ever have a fully-fit squad, then we aint got a bad side....

Hendo
    Cousins/Bauer/Diarra/THD
    JBG/Kashi/JJ
    VT/Reza or Vetokele/AL
    Yes, beyond that its thin, but because of the emergence of those 2 , i dont think it needs THAT much more to make us a side that should escape relegation - maybe 2 players - 1 central defence, 1 middle of midfield - 2 players with experience and nous at this level who have that physical and mental strength for the fight.
    My worry though is does KF have the nous and respect from the players to get them fully onboard - because without that we're doomed.

I was at Wigan a couple of years ago - the second half reminded me of that game.

• Was there. The sending off was bollox. The injuries and the sending off changed the game

We played well and they were lucky only to be 2 down at half time

Haven't seen the sending off, but let me clarify that part of the relevant law.

If, in the opinion of the referee, (not Joe Bloggs in the stand), an offence has been committed, anywhere on/off the field that the referee considers to be Serious Foul Play, then the player should be sent off.

In trying to clarify the Law, the football authorities, have in my humble opinion, muddied the waters. They now state that any offence such as tripping, holding, striking etc a player in a potential goal scoring position (often defined as "last player" fouls) , MUST be classed as Serious Foul Play or Violent Conduct and MUST be sent off.

That misunderstanding has led to some contributors on here falsely stating that Baer should not have been sent off because the opposing forward was not in a clear goal scoring position.

As I said, I haven't seen the incident, but presumably, in the opinion of the referee, the holding (?) was seen as Serious Foul Play and thus, if so, Baer was rightly sent off.

Hope that clarifies the situation.
  • We picked up a lot of knocks in the Brighton game and our thin squad will be exposed in a busy December.
    Unless we get 4 or 5 decent loans to boost the squad we will drop like a stone to the bottom.

Once again we have conceded three, and Bauer has not learnt from his mistake a few weeks ago. We have no leadership on the field without Jacko.

Lennon in a bandage.
    Berg limping
    Cousins limping
    Hendo hurt back / shoulder (again?)

Even with several loan players (assuming they were good enough quality), it is unlikely they would go straight into the side and make an impact.

Once again it is apparent that our Owner/CEO/Manager do not understand the league we are competing in.

I expect us to go down, RD will then sell any decent player assets and walk away.

Prepare for bad times, but let's get these Wafflers out of our club and start to rebuild from the bottom.
  • If you pull a player back who is free on goal it is a sending off. What we have to do - or had to do against a team like Brighton was be a bit braver. Also need more quality in our passing - in second half too many passes went to Brighton player - Fox was a culprit. Giving the ball away cheaply, ultimately leads to goals. Lot of potential within the squad to make a more than decent team out of it with a bit of investment and direction. Oh well - with the shower running our club, we can but dream. Do they honestly not know they are a shower though, or is it our fault?
  • Absolutely gutting. It will take me a while to get over that.
    Brighton fans were raving about Lookman. I told them that if it was not for his mum, he could have been facing us today.
    After the routine patdown I was asked to empty my pockets. The steward apologised; however , he said he had no choice as one of ours was found to have a knife on him. Perhaps he was considering cutting his own throat. Jeez.