Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New signing? Vaz Te? (ed. Signed until end of season)

Comments

• Hopefully he's kept himself reasonably fit as having him on the bench for the next game will be an exciting option.

Dare I say that when/if Igor gets himself fit we'll have a surplus of strikers...
  • Ha ha ha ha....
  • Good signing.

He comes from Portugal
    He fucking hates Millwall

• Liam Ridgewell might be available for loan after his MLS season ends, only 31 has been excellent this season with Portland Timbers - would be a good option to have at CB.
  • According to Wiki he's played 155 senior games and has bagged 28 goals, hardly "a prolific Championship striker" which he is according to the George Jones headline on the official site.
    Wish him well though, we need goals!
  • I don't quite understand the 'good player at this level'. Wasn't it nearly 5 years ago he was decent at this level? He's barely played any football. Underwhelmed with this, but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

After looking at the stats, sorry is was 2011/12 he was decent at this level with Barnsley then West Ham - still not sure on him.

And then subsequently he played in the premier league for West Ham. So he was decent at a higher level more recently.
    Was he decent? Or was he playing from the subs bench because he wasn't 'decent'? Look a this career, he's had one 'decent' full season! The Premiership season wasn't it.
  • Following the same playbook as last season when we signed Eagles, Diarra and Johnson on short-term deals.
  • feels a bit like Ba when you ask questions about lack of football. He has been a pro for 13 seasons, never had any major long-term injuries, but has started just 80 games.

Lightly raced, as they would say
  • He is on a short-term contract. If he doesn't cut it, he will go. We are mid season, outside of the transfer window and we are struggling for goals. Who would you prefer to have seen come in that is available right now?

Firstly, I would like to have seen our strikers already hitting the back of the net. The reason they don't, is because we actually need a decent midfield. We always seem to think that a lack of goals is due to needing a new striker. It isn't.

Secondly, I am fed up with the club signing players who are past their better days, prone to injury etc. I would rather have signed a young, fit, player from the lower leagues who wanted to prove himself, who wanted to show what he could do, who is a little bit cocky, a little arrogant, who had the balls to want to play for us for a change.

Instead we get lumbered with these type of players who are only interested in picking up a wage each week. They don't give their all, they don't give a shit about the club, the fans etc.....I could name quite a few of these over the past few years, but we all know who they are. They're here to top up their pensions and nothing more.

I hear we're close to signing Jobi Mcanuff too....no issue with the bloke personally, and often that is the case, but these are not the quality of signing we need, especially not this year when we are in real shit! They are just extra bums on seats. They are names KM and RD can quote when they want to tell us all how they've 'invested' in the team....we could very realistically go down. If we did i'd rather do it with young, fit players on a contract and not a selection of old boys, who couldn't actually keep us up and who then walk away.

And regardless of my thoughts......I re-iterate the fact that should we sign Mcanuff or anyone else for that matter, the club could have signed them whilst Luzon was manager. They chose to watch Luzon struggle with injuries then sacked him.

KF is now 'temporarily' in charge, so who is signing the likes of Vaz te? Not him. No club lets a 'temporary' manager sign players when they might not be given the job! The reason is because this has been planned for a long time.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2015
    Just not sure where he'd fit in the starting team from when we won on Saturday which is why I cant see him being much of a starter at times, although he's a good addition because none of the below will last the season without dropping form

Henderson
    Holmes-Dennis ... Bauer ... Sarr ... Fox
    Ba ... Diarra ... Jackson
    Reza ... Makienok ... Gudmundsson
  • Hmm, a gamble but could be ok. What we really need are wingers though. We now have Mak, Veto, TW, Reza, Youth (KAG, Lookman etc) and Vaz up front.
  • S'pose we could stick Lookman out wide?
  • edited November 2015
    He could be a very good signing for us...until he's released in the summer and we repeat this exact process again next year.

He can play upfront. I'd stick up there with Big Mak.
  • Good signing.
  • Just not sure where he'd fit in the starting team from when we won on Saturday which is why I cant see him being much of a starter at times, although he's a good addition because none of the below will last the season without dropping form

Henderson

He's much better than Reza.
  • edited November 2015
    braydex said:

He is on a short-term contract. If he doesn't cut it, he will go. We are mid season, outside of the transfer window and we are struggling for goals. Who would you prefer to have seen come in that is available right now?

Firstly, I would like to have seen our strikers already hitting the back of the net. The reason they don't, is because we actually need a decent midfield. We always seem to think that a lack of goals is due to needing a new striker. It isn't.

Secondly, I am fed up with the club signing players who are past their better days, prone to injury etc. I would rather have signed a young, fit, player from the lower leagues who wanted to prove himself, who wanted to show what he could do, who is a little bit cocky, a little arrogant, who had the balls to want to play for us for a change.

Instead we get lumbered with these type of players who are only interested in picking up a wage each week. They don't give their all, they don't give a shit about the club, the fans etc.....I could name quite a few of these over the past few years, but we all know who they are. They're here to top up their pensions and nothing more.

I hear we're close to signing Jobi Mcanuff too....no issue with the bloke personally, and often that is the case, but these are not the quality of signing we need, especially not this year when we are in real shit! They are just extra bums on seats. They are names KM and RD can quote when they want to tell us all how they've 'invested' in the team....we could very realistically go down. If we did i'd rather do it with young, fit players on a contract and not a selection of old boys, who couldn't actually keep us up and who then walk away.

And regardless of my thoughts......I re-iterate the fact that should we sign Mcanuff or anyone else for that matter, the club could have signed them whilst Luzon was manager. They chose to watch Luzon struggle with injuries then sacked him.

KF is now 'temporarily' in charge, so who is signing the likes of Vaz te? Not him. No club lets a 'temporary' manager sign players when they might not be given the job! The reason is because this has been planned for a long time.

To be fair we have an awful lot of younger, unproven players in our squad. Apart from the home grown players, Sarr is 22, Ceballos 22, Igor only 23, Watt 21, Ba 22. In addition the likes of Kashi, Makeniok and Reza have little Championship experience.

Before we signed Diarra, would we have expected him to care so much, and be possibly our player of the season so far?
  • A decent player and signing him on a short-term contract is a positive move for the club IMO - let's see how he goes if he does get a run-out
  • Just not sure where he'd fit in the starting team from when we won on Saturday which is why I cant see him being much of a starter at times, although he's a good addition because none of the below will last the season without dropping form

Henderson

He's much better than Reza.
    Dunno... Reza is like a little whippet who has the workrate to close down the Defence / Goalkeeper and force them into mistakes (Something we were failing to do up until Sheffield Wednesday)

I see Vaz Te as more of a goalscorer, someone who'll get himself in the right position in the box (i.e. I think he'll score the goals that Makienok got last Saturday a lot better than Simon himself when in those positions), in terms of his work rate I see him more like Tony Watt
  • Sponsored links:

• If I was to take a shot-in-the-dark guess, I'd say that this guy has got 'ability but bad attitude' written all over him. In a 13 year career he hasn't played as much as he should. He has scored 37 goals in his career, yet if I'm reading my stats correctly, 22 of those came in one season (11/12).

So something is 'there', it just hasn't been shown very often.
  • So pleased the club are listening to supporters and signing players with Championship experience. Well done the board, a very decent signing.
  • edited November 2015
    A player with both Championship and Premier league experience that's what we wanted wasn't it? He might not be 100% match fit but any signing this time of year is going to be an out of contract player and in January it will be a player either out of favour or recovering from an injury and needs game time or a youngster needing experience
    Given Diarra was written off by West Ham fans when he left them!! I would say give him a chance he could prove a very good signing
  • Fair play - that's a decent signing.

The wingers are what we are lacking - and McAnuff won't cut it IMO. Get a decent winger in on loan who hasnt got a sponge foot like CMac and we could be in a better position.
  • edited November 2015

According to Wiki he's played 155 senior games and has bagged 28 goals, hardly "a prolific Championship striker" which he is according to the George Jones headline on the official site.
    Wish him well though, we need goals!

22 goals in 40 games (28 starts) in the Championship in 2011/12. He scored 2 goals in 3 play off games that season including the winner in the final.

His goals to games ratio stats are skewed the number of sub appearances he's made.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=36692
  • Henderson seems to think it is a good signing, and I am sure he has seen him train.....
  • edited November 2015
    Good news, pleased with this. There is definitely a good player in there. Hopefully coming to a stable club will bring the best out in him....I wonder who decided to sign him? Roly? Katrien? Carol? Coach in waiting? The milkman?

Seriously though, pleased to get somebody half decent on board
  • To be fair to Vaz Te I think a good few of his clubs have bought him as backup for their main strike force and consequently he hasn't got as many games under his belt as he might have. When he does get his chance I think he has scored goals. We'll soon see.
  • edited November 2015
    braydex said:

I agree with you in the main. We should have had more signings under Luzon and even during the close season when more players would have been available, but for reasons known only to them, the club did not do that. We are in a situation where Igor is injured, Watt is out of sorts and as backup with have a few very inexperienced, yet promising youngsters. Vaz Te has the potential to fire in some goals and help to get us some well needed points. He knows the division, he has proven he can score in the division, let's just get behind him.

It's all well and good saying that we should sign someone from the lower leagues who wants to prove themselves, but all the best players that fit your description have contracts right now and cannot move clubs. I think we should give the guy a chance before we start saying that he is only here for the pay day or that he doesn't care about the club/team. You may be proved right, but we can't judge him before he has even been given a chance to show us what he can do.
  • I don't get why everyone is liking this signing. 22 goals in one season would be fantastic if it happened last year but it was 4 yrs ago.

Apart from that he has 6 goals in the other 100+ games.