Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Nothing can excuse Horner if he is guilty for being inappropriate

But its remarkable the racist Doctor has survived so bloody long, given the public comments he comes out with
  • If he does go I can see Red Bull slowly falling apart in the coming years. New engine partners, no Mateschitz, the usual brain drain that goes on. 
  • I wonder if the new senior management of Red Bull will play a big part. Without Dietrich around calling the shots I wonder if the new seniors have the same enthusiasm for the F1 project given at least of one comes from a football background. 
  • Word in the industry is he is gone, but I have a funny feeling he will cling on.....
    Will be a different story if it gets as far as court 

• The new Alpine, who Renault changed their name to, to promote their sports car brand and to highlight the traditional french racing blue, is, err... Black.

Even the "pink" livery is still pretty much black
  • Another Carbon Fibre no paint weight saving livery.
  • Hal1x said:
    Another Carbon Fibre no paint weight saving livery.
    Ironic isn't it... Given out of the three fastest cars, just the one is black
  • If the Visa CashApp launch tomorrow is the first car that isn't mostly black 🤣🤣🤣
  • So far we have:
    Black and Orange for McLaren
    Black and Green for Stake/Kick/Sauber
    Black and Navy for Williams
    Black and Pink/Blue for Alpine
    Black and White for Haas

We'll probably get
    Navy for Red Bull
    Black and Teal for Mercedes
    Navy/Blue for RB
    Red for Ferrari 
    Black and Dark Green for Aston Martin

Such a boring grid
  • Sponsored links:

• 10 year extension for Silverstone. Now guaranteed until 2034
  • Interesting given the rumblings of a London GP.

Given they still want an African GP somewhere too, still have a trademark on the New York GP, have recently filed a trademark for Chicago GP, plus a bunch of places like Germany, France, Portugal, Turkey, Malaysia, Argentina and Russia(no chance) all still looking to be on the calender, there are some races that may get dropped in the near future that piss people off.

I think I'm right in saying that there's now too many races on the calender compared to slots, if all the current and future races went ahead? Unless they agree to up the number from 24
  • sam3110 said:
    Interesting given the rumblings of a London GP.

Given they still want an African GP somewhere too, still have a trademark on the New York GP, have recently filed a trademark for Chicago GP, plus a bunch of places like Germany, France, Portugal, Turkey, Malaysia, Argentina and Russia(no chance) all still looking to be on the calender, there are some races that may get dropped in the near future that piss people off.

I think I'm right in saying that there's now too many races on the calender compared to slots, if all the current and future races went ahead? Unless they agree to up the number from 24

Yeah some will have to go. I don't quite understand why Imola was kept around post pandemic years and honestly they've been trying to ditch Spa for years too. Can't see 2 Spanish GPs co-existing either. 
  • Forgive me entering boring old git mode, and obviously things have moved on circuit wise, but nothing will beat Brands for a British GP venue in my eyes.

Best childhood memory was watching the 1986 British GP with my Dad. First race I went to, with legendary drivers, and legendary teams and liveries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjpJNykIXFs

• Brands is a fantastic place to watch motor racing. Usually go to at least 2/3 meetings a year.
  • Melbourne
    Suzuka
    Singapore
    Beijing
    Malaysia

Sao Paulo
    COTA
    Las Vegas
    Miami
    Montreal

Baku
    Jeddah
    Abu Dhabi
    Doha
    Istanbul

Silverstone
    Spa
    Zandvoort
    Monza
    Hungaroring
    Madrid
    Austria
    Portimao
    Hockenheim

Mexico, Barcelona, Imola and Monaco dropped for Germany, Malaysia, Turkey and Madrid. I'd love to see South Africa on the calender (or somewhere else, apparently someone's trying to build an F1 ready circuit on Zanzibar?!) 

I'd keep Monaco as an event, but non-championship from now on. 

In an ideal world I'd drop Abu Dhabi, Austria, Doha and Miami for South Africa, Portugal, Argentina and France too but that's not going to happen any time soon
  • Even though I'm somewhat of a traditionist (old fart), I wouldn't be sad to see the back of Monaco. To my mind it doesn't bring anything to the sport other than a load of rich people poncing about.
    Completely agree. Monaco is the most ridiculously boring race. You might as well not even bother with the race itself and just go with whatever the qualifying result was. 
  • Rizzo said:
    Even though I'm somewhat of a traditionist (old fart), I wouldn't be sad to see the back of Monaco. To my mind it doesn't bring anything to the sport other than a load of rich people poncing about.
    Completely agree. Monaco is the most ridiculously boring race. You might as well not even bother with the race itself and just go with whatever the qualifying result was. 

Who was it who likened Monaco to riding your bike round your living room?
  • Rizzo said:
    Even though I'm somewhat of a traditionist (old fart), I wouldn't be sad to see the back of Monaco. To my mind it doesn't bring anything to the sport other than a load of rich people poncing about.

Who was it who likened Monaco to riding your bike round your living room?
    Piquet wasn't it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Forgive me entering boring old git mode, and obviously things have moved on circuit wise, but nothing will beat Brands for a British GP venue in my eyes.

Best childhood memory was watching the 1986 British GP with my Dad. First race I went to, with legendary drivers, and legendary teams and liveries.

Loved Brands, went to GPs  in 85 and 86. One of them a we were over the back and a Minardi stopped near us and the other was the Jacques Lafiiite crash I think.
  • Team name is still utterly awful but at least VCARB found the paint. 

• Aston Martin, clever use of the green to make it look more green than it actually is. 
  • By far the nicest livery this season...

rformula1 - 2024 Ferrari SF-24

I went to Brands for a MG owners club day about 15 years ish back. Obviously to make the day a bit more interesting there was lots of other stuff going on. Lotus had, I think, 5 of their JPS cars including the Senna's which was being shipped to Brazil following the meet. The noise from those cars was incredible, they weren't racing just a formation couple of laps. But even so, fantastic to see such a rare collection.
    The cars are a lot safer nowadays and for good reason but they are also lacking certain elements and gained others. They have grown, (in my opinion), too long, too wide, too many aero elements and don't make the right noises. I probably enjoy the construction and technology of todays cars than I do the racing, which is not a complaint, more another interest in the sport.
    Also F1 lost a lot when Brands was dropped. From a racing and spectators views it had to be one of the best if not the best. 

• edited February 13
    Forgive me entering boring old git mode, and obviously things have moved on circuit wise, but nothing will beat Brands for a British GP venue in my eyes.

I went to Brands for a MG owners club day about 15 years ish back. Obviously to make the day a bit more interesting there was lots of other stuff going on. Lotus had, I think, 5 of their JPS cars including the Senna's which was being shipped to Brazil following the meet. The noise from those cars was incredible, they weren't racing just a formation couple of laps. But even so, fantastic to see such a rare collection.
    The cars are a lot safer nowadays and for good reason but they are also lacking certain elements and gained others. They have grown, (in my opinion), too long, too wide, too many aero elements and don't make the right noises. I probably enjoy the construction and technology of todays cars than I do the racing, which is not a complaint, more another interest in the sport.
    Also F1 lost a lot when Brands was dropped. From a racing and spectators views it had to be one of the best if not the best. 

I was there as well, one of my favoritist moments was whilst walking on my tod around the back of the circuit and alongside the main straight, I saw Senna speeding towards me, so I waved as he approached and he actually waved back
  • Nope... think Mercedes have just taken the best Livery for 2024!!

• edited February 14
    Nope... think Mercedes have just taken the best Livery for 2024!!

But its the same as all their other schemes. BORING!

I think you're slightly biased, and if it had turned up still inside a big cardboard box you would still have been impressed.
  • It's just black with 3 stripes on it, one red, one aqua and one silver

Aqua and red just look terrible together
  • I think the Ferrari is the most striking on a grid where black carbon will be worth vital fractions of a second.

I like the blend of black and silver on the Merc - but its hard to see much detail in the picture. Side pod has had some further refinement and my feeling is that they have probably finally arrived at the path they should have taken 2 years ago. Unfortunately for them - RB are 2 years down the line with the concept.