Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Aston Martin is my favourite livery this season. Love that green!
  • edited February 18
    Great end to the F4 UAE Championship this morning... the Junior Series provide so much better racing than F1

Got to try and get to Brands Hatch a couple of times this season for the British F4 or GB3 Championship
  • We all looking forward to testing tomorrow? I am but sure my expectations for the season will be over by lunchtime when it's obvious Red Bull are a second clear of the rest
  • edited February 20
    Be good to have the F1 Season back... Think the battle for P2 in the WCC and WDC will be the interesting fights this coming season, lets just pretend Red Bull dont exist
  • I try never to really read too much into testing but if McLaren are looking good tomorrow I won't be able to not get a bit excited. It's like a preseason friendly when a young player looks really good and you wonder if they're going to break through. 
  • 20 minutes gone and Stake and Haas are over a second clear of the rest! 
  • Yeah Max seven tenths clear in the first session. Season over 
  • Ended up over 1 second ahead of the McLaren. It is testing but is this just a rerun of last year?
  • Probably, Merc new design doesn't exactly look promising either 
  • Sponsored links:

• They took a dominant car, made it even more extreme and people thought they wouldn't come out and be way faster than everyone else?
  • I would say with Mercedes that there is the possibility they were working on other things rather than speed. I don't know of course, but it is too early to form a definitive conclusion.
  • edited February 21
    I've read a few things suggesting We will see a different Red Bull, to the one in Bahrain, from Japan onwards. Supposedly a refined version of the Mecr zero side pods concept. Would be ironic if Merc have moved to make their car more like last year's Red Bull, while Red Bull have moved to make their car more like last year's (original) Merc only for Merc to make no real progress and Red Bull to get even faster.

Wouldn't be the first time they've done something like that either. Would be similar to them picking up Honda as an engine suppler after McLaren gave up on them, only for Honda to start getting good almost as soon as they joined Red Bull.
  • Depressing seeing Verstappen likely to be so dominant again. Is a 1.1+ second gap in testing unprecedented?
  • Depressing seeing Verstappen likely to be so dominant again. Is a 1.1+ second gap in testing unprecedented?
    It's pretty meaningless. Not saying the RB won't be dominant again as they likely will be but no one really knows anything until the first GP.

When Merc use to dominate they were sometimes well off the pace in testing as it's all just programme runs and data gathering.
    He set his fastest time late in the 2nd session when the track had cooled a bit and was faster.  Those that set times in the moring were in the heat and the track was slower...but I think it still looks ominous...let's see how Hamilton does tomorrow.
  • Testing is over and done with and what did we learn from it?

The colours on the cars are easier to differentiate than people thought.

The FIA are still really good at ballsing up Ferraris with drain covers

Everyone is playing poker with their max pace and long race runs

Let's hope the Ferrari and Mercedes have closed the gap a bit and maybe we can dream for some RBR powertrain gremlins for once
  • Agree with all that above.  Quite a few F1 journalists and pundits saying that the car Red Bull will roll out next weekend will look significantly different.  Some saying similar that Mercedes and Mclaren already have improvements ready to be rolled out.  Think theres been a bit of hiding potential going on.
  • Yeah I'm not reading too much into testing because I expect substantial upgrades rolling out for next weekend 
  • Sponsored links:

• CafcWest said:
    Agree with all that above.  Quite a few F1 journalists and pundits saying that the car Red Bull will roll out next weekend will look significantly different.  Some saying similar that Mercedes and Mclaren already have improvements ready to be rolled out.  Think theres been a bit of hiding potential going on.
    Makes you wonder what they really get out of testing these days. If they weren't driving their actual race cars the last few days, then true testing starts in FP1 on Friday anyway.
  • CafcWest said:
    Agree with all that above.  Quite a few F1 journalists and pundits saying that the car Red Bull will roll out next weekend will look significantly different.  Some saying similar that Mercedes and Mclaren already have improvements ready to be rolled out.  Think theres been a bit of hiding potential going on.
    Makes you wonder what they really get out of testing these days. If they weren't driving their actual race cars the last few days, then true testing starts in FP1 on Friday anyway.
    I think it's a reliability thing mostly, and they do a lot of running at certain speeds to get drag coefficients and downforce levels at a set speed. 

I watched a bit of the live testing and Leclerc in the Ferrari in particular would drive almost an entire lap at 100mph, especially down the straights, as they know they can draw a baseline number from that
  • Complaint against Horner has been dismissed.
  • Grievance into Christian Horner dismissed by Red Bull. Complainant has the right of appeal.
    I suspect that no appeal will be made and a nice pay off has been made.
  • Surprise surprise.
  • Someone from within the sport told me this afternoon that a significant 'six figure sum' was paid to the complainant.

With no knowledge of the truth behind the matter (never mind what the matter even was) why do sums of money have to pass around if there is nothing to it?

Whole saga is another mess in F1s recent history.
  • any CharltonLife F1 fantasy leagues to join? Never played before and wanted to give it a go but got nobody to play with 
  • GP is Saturday this week, and for the Jeddah GP.

• Jesus... Prema in P18-P19 for F2 this week

They need to sort their setups out ahead of the season, thats terrible for them
  • Jesus... Prema in P18-P19 for F2 this week

They need to sort their setups out ahead of the season, thats terrible for them
    And Bearman out-qualified by Antonelli.