Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• CafcWest said:
    Sky Sports reporting that Mercedes Staff have been told that Hamilton will leave at the end of the 2024 Season. Shame in a way, shit would hilariously hit the fan if he joined Ferrari now
    I think he should go now - if it's agreed.  Can't really see him being too committed to Mercedes with that in the back of his mind.
    He will be highly committed if the car is good this season.
  • Just thinking off the top of my head with how the driver market could play out (wanted to have some fun)

Ferrari - Hamilton and Leclerc
    Merc- Russell and Albon
    Red Bull - Verstappen and Danny Ric
    Alpine - Gasly and Ocon (Doohan if the relationship deteriorates)
    McLaren - Norris and Piastri
    VCARB - Tsunoda and Lawson
    Sauber - Bottas and Sainz 
    Aston - Alonso and Drugovich 
    Williams - Zhou and Antonelli
    Haas - Hulkenberg and Bearman. 
  • Albon and Russell would be a weak Merc lineup. Can see them going for Alonso or even bringing Vettel back 
  • I think Norris will be their main target 
  • Lando signing that new deal last week is looking like a complete masterstroke from McLaren now. 
  • edited February 1
    I think Norris will be their main target 
    Hasn't he just signed a new deal at Mclaren?

If Hamilton is going to Ferrari, I suspect it either means

1) they have convinced him they can get their car and strategy competitive with Red Bull and give him his best shot of an 8th title (to be fair, their car probably has the most raw pace after RB as demonstrated by some of their quali performances but they have struggled to maximise that in race trim).
    2) he resigned himself that no one will be catching RB soon so he might as well go and see out his career at the most historic and prestigious team.

Either way, it's not really a vote of confidence from him that Merc are going to be challenging for a championship anytime soon. And hints at another potential one-sided season in 2024. I want Hamilton to get another fair shot beating Verstappen but if Merc can't then hopefully someone other than Merc closes the gap.

Realistically, as he gets older he is going to lose a bit of speed and Verstappen is getting faster, if anything. Peak Hamilton vs peak Verstappen would be a hell of a fight, but I think now Verstappen wins in closely matched machinery. Hamilton might need to find a team that can give him an outright faster car than Red Bull to get that 8th title now. 
  • Gone a bit different

Ferrari - Hamilton and Leclerc
    Merc- Russell and Albon
    Red Bull - Verstappen and Sainz
    Alpine - Gasly and Doohan
    McLaren - Norris and Piastri
    VCARB - Ricciardo and Lawson
    Sauber - Hulkenburg and Pourchaire
    Aston - Alonso and Drugovich 
    Williams - Bottas and Antonelli
    Haas - Zhou and Bearman
  • I think it offers a fascinating dynamic for some of the fans of the sport who are Ferrari fans and (understandably) historically not really fans of Hamilton.

It’s going to be interesting to see thousands of Ferrari followers at Monza going fanatical as Lewis pulls out the garage. Not to mention Silverstone being a sea of Ferrari red 
  • edited February 1
    Ferrari: Hamilton | Leclerc
    Mercedes: Russell | Schumacher
    Red Bull: Verstappen | Ricciardo
    Alpine: Gasly | Martins
    McLaren: Norris | Piastri
    Racing Bulls: Tsunoda | Lawson
    Sauber: Sainz | Pourchaire
    Aston Martin: Alonso | Drugovich
    Williams: Bottas | Albon
    Haas: Hulkenberg | Bearman

Is my pick for 2025... 
  • No way Mick Schumacher gets a seat at a top team. He’s nowhere near the standard required.

• Sponsored links:

• No way Mick Schumacher gets a seat at a top team. He’s nowhere near the standard required.

Never really had the opportunity in the shit show that was haas did he ? Deserves another opportunity in the midfield for sure. Could push on from there. 
  • edited February 1
    No way Mick Schumacher gets a seat at a top team. He’s nowhere near the standard required.

That Merc seat is going to be the toughest to replace, could see Ocon - Schumacher - Albon all in there... Think whoever it will be, is a stopgap for Antonelli though, hence why I went for Mick, Id be shocked if I was right
  • Albon and Russell are best mates so that could be good for the dynamic 
  • Mercedes officially confirmed it.
  • And now Ferrari confirm Lewis on a " Multi-year deal" 
  • Confirmed officially by Mercedes.
  • Imagine if Mercedes now went and got Vettel out of retirement or Alonso
  • The timing of this is bizarre and doesn't bode well for Mercedes' 2024 season 
  • Sponsored links:

• Imagine if Mercedes now went and got Vettel out of retirement or Alonso
    I think they have to, no one else can fill the void Lewis leaves, otherwise they'll become a solid 3rd/4th place team 
  • The last time a 7-time World Champion drove for Ferrari... 

Alonso won the title... 
  • The church bells are ringing in Maranello. 

This is monumental in Italy. Ferrari are their first love. The highest profile driver in the sport in their team is gonna be like nothing we have seen for a long time.
  • Gutted for Sainz. Doesn't deserve that as you are entering a new season.
  • The church bells are ringing in Maranello. 

This is monumental in Italy. Ferrari are their first love. The highest profile driver in the sport in their team is gonna be like nothing we have seen for a long time.

The Sky Italy guy they had on compared it to when Juve signed Cristiano Ronaldo. 
  • Gutted for Sainz. Doesn't deserve that as you are entering a new season.
    The "team" game is going to be fun to watch this season at both Ferrari and Mercedes - We saw last season how there were moments between both sets of team mates
  • Monza is going to be mental.