Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• The sport has sold its soul for money . It’s heartless now. Not the one I fell in love with all those years back. Would love a proper breakaway series. 
  • The sport has sold its soul for money . It’s heartless now. Not the one I fell in love with all those years back. Would love a proper breakaway series. 
    Feels like Liberty are just milking the Cash Cow as much as they can, before its sold to the Saudis
    Feels like Liberty are just milking the Cash Cow as much as they can, before its sold to the Saudis
    Exactly this. I feel the Saudis could and would do a better job. Listening more to what the fans want and really challenging the fia on regulations etc 
  • PIF did announce they'd done a major deal with Formula E yesterday

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/487977/formula-e-x-pif
    Nice scenery, shame about the racing. 

To be fair, Barcelona hasn’t produced many classics over the years either but I’m not sure replacing it with another street circuit is the solution. 
  • I think Barca needs a bit of an overhaul on the circuit, the sequence between turn 3 and turn 9 really strings them out, and the straights aren't long enough to then compensate for that, resulting in processional races. 

Also doesn't help that they've tested there so many times over the years, so they have so much data to go off of

• Hilariously bad

"Visa Cash App Racing Bulls Formula 1 Team"

Like Sauber came out with "Stake F1 Team Kick Sauber" and thought they nailed down the spot for worst team name ever, and the lads at Minardi ToroRosso AlphaTauri Red Bull Juniors went and said "hold my Peroni"
  • So Leclerc and Lando signed on extensions, who are Red Bull looking at replacing Perez with now? 

Do they go back to an ex RB driver in Sainz or Ricciardo? Do they hope that one of their younger drivers steps up to the plate? Or do they go out and sign a new face for the seat, like they did with Perez?
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    So Leclerc and Lando signed on extensions, who are Red Bull looking at replacing Perez with now? 

Do they go back to an ex RB driver in Sainz or Ricciardo? Do they hope that one of their younger drivers steps up to the plate? Or do they go out and sign a new face for the seat, like they did with Perez?
    Wont Piastri still be an option?
  • sam3110 said:
    So Leclerc and Lando signed on extensions, who are Red Bull looking at replacing Perez with now? 

Wont Piastri still be an option?

Oscar signed an extension to the end of 2026 in September. 
  • edited January 26
    Also makes me wonder about Mercedes 's succession planning after Lewis too , a lot of the major options are off the board now too. Unless they really believe Antonelli will be ready for the big time in 2 years 
  • I think one of them gives Albon a second crack at it.

I can also see someone try and get one of the IndyCar boys in, but I'd expect that to be someone like Williams, especially if they lose Albon and want some sponsorship money combined with a decent driver. What juniors will step up next season? I can see Pourchaire taking Zhou's seat, but Bottas wants an Audi drive, however the noise from Audi is they want Hulkenburg as the main man. 

2025 will be very interesting, especially if Andretti get the green light or buy into Haas
  • sam3110 said:
    I think one of them gives Albon a second crack at it.

I can also see someone try and get one of the IndyCar boys in, but I'd expect that to be someone like Williams, especially if they lose Albon and want some sponsorship money combined with a decent driver. What juniors will step up next season? I can see Pourchaire taking Zhou's seat, but Bottas wants an Audi drive, however the noise from Audi is they want Hulkenburg as the main man. 

2025 will be very interesting, especially if Andretti get the green light or buy into Haas

F2 looks the best it has done for a long time , some real potential for a fantastic title battle. Not sure how Alpine think they're going to get Victor Martins into F1 , unless it's with Andretti, maybe the loss of Guenther from Haas means that Ollie Bearman gets a look for 2025 - KMag and Hulkenberg is just a bit mediocre. Williams ironically probably have the best junior options for 2025 , big pressure on Sargeant to deliver or I think it will be one of O'Sullivan,Colapinto or Antonelli to graduate to that seat. 

• Ollie Bearman promoted to a Ferrari Reserve Driver for 2024 alongside Giovinazzi
  • I expect Bearman to be placed in a seat next season if Ferrari can, especially if he challenges for the f2 title again 
  • sam3110 said:

Hilariously bad

Like Sauber came out with "Stake F1 Team Kick Sauber" and thought they nailed down the spot for worst team name ever, and the lads at Minardi ToroRosso AlphaTauri Red Bull Juniors went and said "hold my Peroni"
    The commentators are going to love that one. What would you even shorten it to? 
  • edited January 29
    MarcusH26 said:

Ollie Bearman promoted to a Ferrari Reserve Driver for 2024 alongside Giovinazzi
    Wonder if Bearman will also be Haas Reserve next year... Only way I cant see him in F1 next year, is if he doesnt end up top three in Formula 2, which looks set to be the most exciting Championship ever... F1 is probably going to be a Support Series for that, rather than the other way around.

Really good Interview with him with Tommo on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzrK2XnnqU
  • Rizzo said:
    sam3110 said:

Hilariously bad

The commentators are going to love that one. What would you even shorten it to? 
    Apparently internally it's shortened to VCARB (though I don't know if that's Vee-Carb or VeeCeeAyeAreBee)
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting how much Andretti are pushing despite still not having their place confirmed.

As an aside, given they aren't on the grid yet, they don't have to abide by the spending and wind tunnel rules right?

I'd expect them to have a headstart on that compared to most new teams, with a huge amount of resources available to them and them already having a 60% scale model 
  • I find it interesting how they've gone public with a windtunnel model , exactly how they're going to be initially set up (4 bases is a touch extreme) and everything.

Either they know they are very close or they're getting impatient with Dominicali messing around and they've gone public to force his hand. 
  • edited January 31
    Ridiculous!! - Given the grounds they've rejected them, you have to wonder what competitiveness Haas bring to the F1 Grid, or Alpine for renaming from Renault so they could use F1 to advertise their new brand name.
  • I'd like Andretti to now make a power play and just buy Haas
  • sam3110 said:
    And the notion that they don't add value to the sport and won't be a competitive team, what's competitive about a team owned by another team, that specifically lets them by at all opportunities and tries to hold up other teams for the benefit of their owner and sponsor? 

All whilst they are trying to grow the sport in America, here you have an American team backed by an American car manufacturer, bringing large American brands with them, rejected on the grounds that they feel Andretti will gain more from the F1 name than F1 will gain from the Andretti name.

Utter bollocks

Andretti have huge financial backing too from Guggenheim Partners too , money isn't an issue to them , I really don't understand  how they have rejected them unless they come with GM engines. 
  • Ridiculous!! - Given the grounds they've rejected them, you have to wonder what competitiveness Haas bring to the F1 Grid, or Alpine for renaming from Renault so they could use F1 to advertise their new brand name.

Makes me wonder who could actually get a team deal done? Would it literally have to be sovereign wealth fund to get on the grid? 

I find it interesting Prema are looking at Indycar....
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Ridiculous!! - Given the grounds they've rejected them, you have to wonder what competitiveness Haas bring to the F1 Grid, or Alpine for renaming from Renault so they could use F1 to advertise their new brand name.

Makes me wonder who could actually get a team deal done? Would it literally have to be sovereign wealth fund to get on the grid? 

Oh I'm sure if the Saudi Oppressive Dictators Oil Money International Sportswashing Enterprises formula 1 team was started up they'll have an immediate spot on the grid
  • sam3110 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Oh I'm sure if the Saudi Oppressive Dictators Oil Money International Sportswashing Enterprises formula 1 team was started up they'll have an immediate spot on the grid
    SODOM - very good!  But not (officially) allowed in Saudi.