Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Don't remember such a dominant car/driver combination. Even in 2018-2020 Mercedes lost the odd race. 
    Verstappen still needs 3 more wins to equal Vettel's record of 9 straight wins (also with Red Bull) in 2013. 
  • 8 races so far:

7 out of 8 poles for Red Bull
    5 out of 8 fastest laps for Red Bull
    8 wins out of 8 for Red Bull
    Update:

9 races so far
    8 out of 9 poles
    6 out of 9 fastest laps
    9 wins out of 9
    Update:
    Another Verstappen clean sweep means RB now have:

10 races
    9 out of 10 poles
    7 out of 10 fastest laps
    10 wins out of 10
  • Don't remember such a dominant car/driver combination. Even in 2018-2020 Mercedes lost the odd race. 
    What 'normally' happens is a team can be dominant because they can get the car set-up well for different tracks but occasionally either they get it wrong or the car design doesn't suit certain tracks.  With Red Bull this year they seem to be able to get the car set-up and working regardless of the track style, i.e. premonantly slow corners or long straights or whatever...car seems very adaptable...unfortunately for us 'out there' watching and want to see different winners...
  • I do wonder despite the dominance of the Red Bull , what they do about Perez , came through to P6 but these recent qualifying performances have been massively concerning. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I do wonder despite the dominance of the Red Bull , what they do about Perez , came through to P6 but these recent qualifying performances have been massively concerning. 
    In that car he still should have ended up on the podium - Instead spent the end of the race battling with a Williams, which I know has great straight line speed, but still...
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I do wonder despite the dominance of the Red Bull , what they do about Perez , came through to P6 but these recent qualifying performances have been massively concerning. 
    In that car he still should have ended up on the podium - Instead spent the end of the race battling with a Williams, which I know has great straight line speed, but still...

And if McLaren , Aston and Mercedes keep on developing its going to be more important that Perez isn't qualifying out of position. Hungary will be very interesting because if he doesn't get into Q3 there isn't a huge amount of passing bar DRS into T1. 
  • The question is though what more do RB actually want? Perez has won a couple of races and he's second in the drivers championship.

I get they probably want a 1-2 every single race, which you could argue they should be getting, but it's not as if RB would benefit from Checo having 50 more points. If they get a 1-2 in the drivers championship then it's mission accomplished surely?

Yes they could hire a better driver but then it's a fine line of putting Verstappen's nose out of joint if that guy starts to be competitive with him.
  • The question is though what more do RB actually want? Perez has won a couple of races and he's second in the drivers championship.

I get they probably want a 1-2 every single race, which you could argue they should be getting, but it's not as if RB would benefit from Checo having 50 more points. If they get a 1-2 in the drivers championship then it's mission accomplished surely?

Yes they could hire a better driver but then it's a fine line of putting Verstappen's nose out of joint if that guy starts to be competitive with him.

Your last paragraph is key - who's going to want to go there and be very much a No2 driver - Lando has rejected them before , they've had Albon and Gasly who are looking better for being out of the RB system - bar promoting Tsunoda who I'm personally unconvinced by I don't see any real options. 
  • edited July 2023
    Its alright for now, but what happens when the other cars catch up and start taking wins from Red Bull? - They're romping away with the Constructors simply because of Max.

Aston Martin is a perfect example of how a one man team will struggle in that Championship... Stroll is next to useless compared with Alonso, and is why we're now seeing a sizeable lead from Mercedes to them in second.

Bottas never really competed with Hamilton for wins

But he was always there to ensure they hoovered up the Constructor points - Its always been the pinnacle fight for the teams, as its where the testing and prize money comes in... The WDC is more popular, but thats about it
  • I always thought Bottas was the perfect big team no2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ignoring the financial benefits, how does a competitor go into any competition knowing that the chances of winning are totally beyond anything that person, as an individual, can control? Race after race after race. Hamilton is one of, if not, the greatest drivers of all time and when you marry his skill with the best car, he will win the driver's championship. When you marry a driver who isn't as good as Hamilton with a car that is by far the best, that driver wins. It's like a jockey fortunate enough to ride a Frankel. As long as the jockey is a good one, Frankel, short of being off colour, wins each and every time. At least a spectator gets to admire such a marvellous sporting specimen such as Frankel and can then view another half a dozen races at the same meeting where  those beaten jockeys get opportunities to win other races on other horses.

I will never knock those that enjoy watching any sport and will openly admit that I have never really got motor racing but I get it even less now. I just don't understand what the excitement for spectators is for an event where the result is decided even before competitors get to the track especially when two equally competent drivers can have the best cars in the same team but you have that thing called "driver's orders" which decides which of the two has to win. Surely "sport" has to be just that? So has the hype surrounding Formula 1 become bigger than the actual competition itself? Is there a danger that it will lose supporters because of that lack of competitiveness? 

• edited July 2023
    Ignoring the financial benefits, how does a competitor go into any competition knowing that the chances of winning are totally beyond anything that person, as an individual, can control? Race after race after race. Hamilton is one of, if not, the greatest drivers of all time and when you marry his skill with the best car, he will win the driver's championship. When you marry a driver who isn't as good as Hamilton with a car that is by far the best, that driver wins. It's like a jockey fortunate enough to ride a Frankel. As long as the jockey is a good one, Frankel, short of being off colour, wins each and every time. At least a spectator gets to admire such a marvellous sporting specimen such as Frankel and can then view another half a dozen races at the same meeting where  those beaten jockeys get opportunities to win other races on other horses.

I will never knock those that enjoy watching any sport and will openly admit that I have never really got motor racing but I get it even less now. I just don't understand what the excitement for spectators is for an event where the result is decided even before competitors get to the track especially when two equally competent drivers can have the best cars in the same team but you have that thing called "driver's orders" which decides which of the two has to win. Surely "sport" has to be just that? So has the hype surrounding Formula 1 become bigger than the actual competition itself? Is there a danger that it will lose supporters because of that lack of competitiveness? 

F1 first and foremost has always been a team sport... the Constructors Championship brings in the money - The Drivers Championship brings in nothing more than individual prestige, so on that basis, driver orders are understandable, the teams need the victory by any means as it results in more prize money.

Like any Sport, there is always the risk of jeopardy - The cars are so much more reliable these days which takes away a big part of that, but the winner is never really a foregone conclusion - Rain / Drivers crashing can always create chaos, especially if it happens after the leader pits... Russell in Australia who went from P1 down to P7 (?) is example of that.

As for the car being a big factor... Well why isnt Perez challenging Verstappen more?

The car is a strong reason why Max is winning, but its not the sole reason - F1 has been littered with drivers (Badoer and Fisichella in the Ferrari are perfect examples) in the last few decades who have stepped into the best cars, yet haven't performed.

In terms of pure motor racing... F2 and F3 are without doubt the better series... The kids (Or Academies) pay for their seats, they're all in the same car (apart from setup), and there is a lot less emphasis on the Constructors, as these kids are all working for themselves, with the aim of reaching F1.
  • Ignoring the financial benefits, how does a competitor go into any competition knowing that the chances of winning are totally beyond anything that person, as an individual, can control? Race after race after race. Hamilton is one of, if not, the greatest drivers of all time and when you marry his skill with the best car, he will win the driver's championship. When you marry a driver who isn't as good as Hamilton with a car that is by far the best, that driver wins. It's like a jockey fortunate enough to ride a Frankel. As long as the jockey is a good one, Frankel, short of being off colour, wins each and every time. At least a spectator gets to admire such a marvellous sporting specimen such as Frankel and can then view another half a dozen races at the same meeting where  those beaten jockeys get opportunities to win other races on other horses.

F1 first and foremost has always been a team sport... the Constructors Championship brings in the money - The Drivers Championship brings in nothing more than individual prestige, so on that basis, driver orders are understandable, the teams need the victory by any means as it results in more prize money.

Like any Sport, there is always the risk of jeopardy - The cars are so much more reliable these days which takes away a big part of that, but the winner is never really a foregone conclusion - Rain / Drivers crashing can always create chaos, especially if it happens after the leader pits... Russell in Australia who went from P1 down to P7 (?) is example of that.

As for the car being a big factor... Well why isnt Perez challenging Verstappen more?

The car is a strong reason why Max is winning, but its not the sole reason - F1 has been littered with drivers (Badoer and Fisichella in the Ferrari are perfect examples) in the last few decades who have stepped into the best cars, yet haven't performed.
    I agree with all you say but the obvious thing I would say, coming back to my main point - how does one of the greatest, if not the greatest, driver of all time who is as competitive as one can be, feel up for a challenge for a race he really is highly unlikely to win (save a crash to Verstappen) as results this season have proven. You can have 14/1 on Hamilton winning the Hungarian Grand Prix and bookies aren't known for their generosity. In fact, if you "dutch" Verstappen and Perez, then the odds are 1/4. Even at those prices you would have been paid out 10 out of 10 times this season. How is that being competitive? 

Murray walker once said that anything can happen in Formula 1 and it usually does. Been the world over with f1 and the experience is incredible eclvery single time. 
  • edited July 2023
    MarcusH26 said:
    The question is though what more do RB actually want? Perez has won a couple of races and he's second in the drivers championship.

Your last paragraph is key - who's going to want to go there and be very much a No2 driver - Lando has rejected them before , they've had Albon and Gasly who are looking better for being out of the RB system - bar promoting Tsunoda who I'm personally unconvinced by I don't see any real options. 
    Bung Riccardo in it, and bin Perez.
  • edited July 2023
    Sounds like de Vries is out @ AlphaTauri

Rumour is coming from a ViaPlay Commentator close to the de Vries family
  • Sounds like de Vries is out @ AlphaTauri

Rumour is coming from a ViaPlay Commentator close to the de Vries family
    Daniel Riccardo got the seat. Seems harsh after just 11 races 
  • Hal1x said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    The question is though what more do RB actually want? Perez has won a couple of races and he's second in the drivers championship.

Bung Riccardo in it, and bin Perez.
    Correction.
    Bung Riccardo in and bin Perez  de Vries.

• Danny Ric back " on loan" for the rest of the season to Alphatauri 

• Literally this morning haha, what a bunch of twaddle 
  • Sponsored links:

• Danny Ric is one of my favourite drivers but he has been poor for a while. Really needs to step up now and show his worth 
  • Red Bull are the masters of absolute twaddle press answers. Did the same with Gasly and Albon.

Danny Ric in effect gets an audition for a seat back at the main team here - although I do wonder how much he can drag out of that AT. 
  • Danny Ric is one of my favourite drivers but he has been poor for a while. Really needs to step up now and show his worth 
    Be great if we get the original Danny Ric back, rather than the Mclaren version.

RE: de Vries, wonder if it doesnt help that he's not actually part of the Red Bull family, had he been one of their Juniors they may have been more patient with him.

Now they've got the best of both worlds... Someone "better" than Nyck, and also a very clear threat to Perez - Dont perform for the rest of the season, and we have a replacement lined up.
  • edited July 2023
    Danny Ric is one of my favourite drivers but he has been poor for a while. Really needs to step up now and show his worth 
    Be great if we get the original Danny Ric back, rather than the Mclaren version.

RE: de Vries, wonder if it doesnt help that he's not actually part of the Red Bull family, had he been one of their Juniors they may have been more patient with him.

Now they've got the best of both worlds... Someone "better" than Nyck, and also a very clear threat to Perez - Dont perform for the rest of the season, and we have a replacement lined up.

De Vries was an absolute panic move from Marko when they couldn't get Herta and Lawson wasn't especially wonderful in F2.  Now they've got more juniors than I think they know what to do with. 

Big pressure on Perez and Yuki to deliver now otherwise I can see a much changed 2024 lineup possibly with Ayumu Iwasa and Liam Lawson in the ATs
  • Tsunoda is a definite out by the end of the season, got the drive because of the ties to Honda.
  • lol! Perez crashes three mins into FP1

We'll see Ricciardo in that Red Bull by FP2 at this rate
  • Is that Checo out over the summer break unless he turns up and wins here? 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Is that Checo out over the summer break unless he turns up and wins here? 
    Who for? They would be mad to swap Checo and Danny Ric so quickly after putting Ric in the AT
  • edited July 2023
    GETTIN there Lewis!! - What an outstanding Quali session, with the different compounds used in each session