Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton have appointed Karel Fraeye as Interim Head Coach

Comments

• Options
    colin1961 said:

Jackson should have been appointed 'interim' manager, IF IF the owner is seriously looking around for a suitable permanent appointment.
    Excuse my language .. MIllwall .. appointed a player, Neil Harris, with no managerial experience other than at youth level .. that is working out very well .. knowledge of the cheaper end of the ENGLISH player market means that Harris is signing decent loanees as well as cheapish perms .. why couldn't we have signed Morison when he was available? .. assuming that he would have wanted to cross the great divide

Brilliant he took them down ......you not listened to what Millwall fans say about him
    Good idea wonder what Mike Small doing now we could sign him as well
    you reckon ? .. 'olloway had them in the bottom three when he took over .. would be more accurate to write that he was unable to prevent relegation in the short time available to him last season and is doing a decent job so far this season ..
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Jackson should have been appointed 'interim' manager, IF IF the owner is seriously looking around for a suitable permanent appointment.
    Excuse my language .. MIllwall .. appointed a player, Neil Harris, with no managerial experience other than at youth level .. that is working out very well .. knowledge of the cheaper end of the ENGLISH player market means that Harris is signing decent loanees as well as cheapish perms .. why couldn't we have signed Morison when he was available? .. assuming that he would have wanted to cross the great divide

Brilliant he took them down ......you not listened to what Millwall fans say about him
    Good idea wonder what Mike Small doing now we could sign him as well
    I believe Agent Holloway had already done his job well enough for there to be nothing Harris could do to stop it.
  • Options
    The press conference should be quite interesting tomorrow.

I wonder if Fraeye will be left on his own to answer questions, would not surprise me in the least.
  • Options

The press conference should be quite interesting tomorrow.

I wonder if Fraeye will be left on his own to answer questions, would not surprise me in the least.

He's not going, it's been cancelled to save costs :)
  • Options
    Fraeye is not giving an interview before the Midds game (I read somewhere).
  • Options
    Another thing that amazes me about all this. If KF is so up and coming, why is he virtually unknown to most of the footballing world. Perhaps you might say that my comparisons are slightly off here, but when I think of all the younger managers that have made their mark in the game in recent years, Eddie Howe, Villas Boas, Alex Neill, Pottechino, Gary Monk, they've all come with a track record. You might question Monk as the last one, as he was just a coach, but he was a coach at a successful club who were on the up in Swansea.

My point is, if KF is really that good and is the right 'interim' manager, why the hell hasn't anyone higher than WW Ham come knocking for him. I know this is stating the bleedin obvious but when I was thinking about it this morning I thought, this guy is managing a team that play in front of 300 people. He's managed them to the giddy heights of 12 out of 18 teams in a regional league. I don't remember a Mourinho or Villas Boas ever coaching/managing at that level and then jumping to Chelsea?

I don't want to be unfair, how the hell do I know how good he is or what he can do as we haven't played a game yet. And yes he's only an 'interim' manager but the more I think about it, the more ridiculous it all seems to be
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Another thing that amazes me about all this. If KF is so up and coming, why is he virtually unknown to most of the footballing world. Perhaps you might say that my comparisons are slightly off here, but when I think of all the younger managers that have made their mark in the game in recent years, Eddie Howe, Villas Boas, Alex Neill, Pottechino, Gary Monk, they've all come with a track record. You might question Monk as the last one, as he was just a coach, but he was a coach at a successful club who were on the up in Swansea.

My point is, if KF is really that good and is the right 'interim' manager, why the hell hasn't anyone higher than WW Ham come knocking for him. I know this is stating the bleedin obvious but when I was thinking about it this morning I thought, this guy is managing a team that play in front of 300 people. He's managed them to the giddy heights of 12 out of 18 teams in a regional league. I don't remember a Mourinho or Villas Boas ever coaching/managing at that level and then jumping to Chelsea?

I don't want to be unfair, how the hell do I know how good he is or what he can do as we haven't played a game yet. And yes he's only an 'interim' manager but the more I think about it, the more ridiculous it all seems to be

Yeah but they're either British Managers or have been Managers of sides in Euope's top Divisions

This can be the trouble with the English Football Fan, usually if someone hasn't been heard of their instantly rubbish until they prove themselves,

i.e. people are saying that the level of the Belgian Third Division is the equivalent of the National League North / South (or even lower) yet how do we know that the league is THAT poor, all we're doing is going by the attendance levels when its hugely mentioned that here in England, lower league clubs are supported so much better than that of the same level in the World
  • Options

cabbles said:

Yeah but they're either British Managers or have been Managers of sides in Euope's top Divisions

This can be the trouble with the English Football Fan, usually if someone hasn't been heard of their instantly rubbish until they prove themselves,

i.e. people are saying that the level of the Belgian Third Division is the equivalent of the National League North / South (or even lower) yet how do we know that the league is THAT poor, all we're doing is going by the attendance levels when its hugely mentioned that here in England, lower league clubs are supported so much better than that of the same level in the World
    I don't want to dismiss him, I don't really have that right without him taking charge of a game yet. I just can't see him being the best kept secret in the Benelux, and we've unearthed a gem ready to charge us up the table. Having said that he'll prob oversee something like 2-0 win on Saturday now.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I don't want to dismiss him, I don't really have that right without him taking charge of a game yet. I just can't see him being the best kept secret in the Benelux, and we've unearthed a gem ready to charge us up the table. Having said that he'll prob oversee something like 2-0 win on Saturday now.
    Be huge if he does manage a win as we've not beaten Middlesbrough in 10-years (?)

Massimiliano Allegri though isnt a bad example of never being heard of... for five years he managed no higher than Serie D in Italy before becoming Manager of Sassuolo, then going on to manage; Milan and now Juventus
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

vff said:

vff said:

colin1961 said:

We have a number of scouts around the country who do reports on players and teams .....

Like who ?
    To be fair most clubs have a number of part time scouts that we don't necessarily know about. I doubt Chapple would have been watching Middlesbrough himself anyway
    OK, so how come the strategy was so flawed against Preston and Brentford in terms of team set up and the midfield being so outnumbered ? The scouts reports were ignored by Luzon ?
    Perhaps the part-time scouts went with Chapple? If they are part-time, they won't be under contract. I left Wimbledon mid-season to go with Ray Harford to Blackburn. Wimbledon had no say in it. Depends whether The scouts were loyal to Chapple or the club.

Carol should be at Hillsborough tonight to watch Wednesday and/or Old Trafford tomorrow to watch Boro. He has the opportunity to watch both. Wednesday are 4-1-4-1 tonight, but were 4-4-2 to 4-2-4 on Friday at Rotherham. Boro are normally 4-2-3-1.
    He must be pinching himself

scouting the next opponents here

rather than here (KSV Bornem - Hamme's opponents on the weekend - capacity 3000)

Thanks mate. Really did make me laugh out loud.

Just shows the complete nonsense of the situation we find ourselves in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Allegri had a long and successful playing career in Italy & coached for quite a few seasons before working his way up the ladder. He would have an amazing network within Italy.

Fraeye has had a handful of unsuccessful games at Hamme, a few weeks of watching Dyer & Matthews lead Charlton out of relegation and I would imagine no contacts or context within our league!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Serious question ?

Who will pick the team on Saturday ?

It was unclear when we lose 5-0 to Watford when Guy's clearance hadn't come through even thou he'd been taking training for a couple of days.

We played a high line and we got stuffed.
    Matthew said Luzon had set the team up !
    Even thou Matthew and Roberts were said to be the interim head coaches for that game.

Karel Fraeye has been scouting for CAFC so maybe his is more clued up than we realize.
    Is it possible to lose the dressing before you start ?
    I would like to know our JJ and Solly rated him the last time he was here with Riga.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    i do feel sorry for him slightly.
  • Options

Fraeye is not giving an interview before the Midds game (I read somewhere).

Shambles.
  • Options
    Whatever odds are available for a Middlesbrough home win on Saturday, just sell your house, car, wife and children and obtain some petty financial compensation from this sick tragedy.
  • Options
    Has he been sacked yet? If not, why not? #Fraeyeout
  • Options
    Fraeye was an employee of Duchatelet since Riga left and was told to keep himself available. So he takes on a part time role in a job he can walk away from should Duchatelet call. Might explain why he wasn't in a better more high profile role. Possibly.

I imagine Duchatelet knows his managers will not last long due to the limited Championship budget he has them working on. So he has a group of lowly paid coaches scattered around Europe awaiting their turn at Cafc. Maybe.

Depressing. Definitely.
  • Options

Serious question ?
    Karel Fraeye has been scouting for CAFC so maybe his is more clued up than we realize. Is it possible to lose the dressing before you start ? I would like to know our JJ and Solly rated him the last time he was here with Riga.

You can scout for a club without knowing much about them, other than the kind of player they are after. I would be interested to know how many of this season's games he has seen, even if only in the past week on DVDs rushed to his hotel room (even he must know there's little point in renting even a flat for more than a month at a time). Does he have a clue about players post Riga? And how on earth will he know about our opponents?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    To be fair to KF and his Hamme time, Belgium only has about 20-24 genuine pro clubs, then the remainder of the 2nd tier is made up of clubs who struggle to get by on a pro/semi-pro basis. There would probably be some overlap into the 3rd tier from that category of clubs.

The challenge they face is characterised by the coach or owner of one of the clubs in that 2nd group suggesting earlier this year that they should all give up even trying to be pro clubs. His idea would have left Belgium with a closed elite league of 24 pro-clubs and a huge gulf to its lower tiers. The idea was not met with too many howls of outrage, either.

The upshot of that in relation to KF is that the number of job opportunities for ambitious coaches in Belgium is limited, so it may be necessary to mark time at a lower level that a British manager would feel insulted by. That is a rosy-tinted view of what he was doing at Hamme, but it may be the truth, especially as he was probably promised some opportunity sooner or later by RD, as long as he stayed loyal.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    It's odd that he didn't stick with Riga after the job they did together at Charlton. It would have been a big plus on his CV that should have resulted in a better position than the Belgian 3rd Division. The obvious conclusion has to be that he'd been promised a much bigger future managerial role so long as he remained patiently within the RD network. Working part time at a small club would allow him time to continue scouting for RD, allow him to move on at the drop of a hat whilst continuing his managerial education.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mogodon said:

Difficult situation. I always want CAFC to win but now the club has made clear that Fraeye will get the job if he does well (which is presumably four points from the next four matches at worst) I have to almost hope we don't achieve that. If we do then we get a man who, however delightful and nice, is clearly not remotely experienced enough to manage a Championship (or even league 1/2) side. Opposing managers will rip him to shreds. If it was that easy to move into management then a lot more nobody's would be hired all the time across the leagues.

I'm really not sure the club has said that the report in the standard that had that quote mentions no sources whatsoever.

• Options
    Has the interim left yet? Need a proper manager quickly. Preferably before Saturday.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Can't imagine that will involve Paxman-like cross examination. But at least we will get to know his top five films, favourite colour and how excited he is to take over. And where he gets his stock of cheap grey suits.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Fraeye was an employee of Duchatelet since Riga left and was told to keep himself available. So he takes on a part time role in a job he can walk away from should Duchatelet call. Might explain why he wasn't in a better more high profile role. Possibly.

I imagine Duchatelet knows his managers will not last long due to the limited Championship budget he has them working on. So he has a group of lowly paid coaches scattered around Europe awaiting their turn at Cafc. Maybe.

Depressing. Definitely.

I don't think there's any maybe here. It's definitely what's happened.

Fraeye, cheap as chips (not Chalton's of course which are ridiculously expensive).
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Suspect he was not refusing to take calls from a raft of top clubs wanting to sign him through a sense of loyalty to RD.
  • Options
    Someone else already mentioned the "Just for men" vibe but I genuinely don't think I've ever seen hair blacker than that, it's like looking into space....
  • Options
    SLP said no interview pre Boro, unofficial.
    CAFC says interview, official.
    Nothing to do with fans disquiet, simply routine :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    OK, who conducts the interview, local media?
    Can I refer the right honourable ladies and gentlemen of Her Majesty's Press to the questions posed by Tutt Tutt.