Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match views Charlton 0-3 Preston

Comments

• Why oh why did I renew my season ticket.

Sadly, I had exactly the same thought last night. However, in reality, the answer is....BECAUSE WE LOVE THE CLUB. It's getting harder to justify buying a season ticket under the current regime though!

Sadly, I had exactly the same thought last night. However, in reality, the answer is....BECAUSE WE LOVE THE CLUB. It's getting harder to justify buying a season ticket under the current regime though!
    It is especially when you live 180 miles away
  • I'm not so sure Morrison is too worried about leaving right now. Just goes to show how bad some of the decisions made were!

I feel the same. I'm seeing it as sunk cost though and will choose my games now. I don't see why I should compound this financial loss by sitting through an utterly miserable experience every two weeks.

The owners of the club seem very apathetic and this is showing on the pitch now. If Rd/KM don't care about being competitive why should I. I go to the match to see my team compete and they aren't doing that = no point in going.

That's a fair old trek. Where are travelling in from?
  • I look at Morrison and think that even if Birmingham went up, he wouldn't play in the premier league. But then I realise Slyvan Distin is playing in the premier league and think Morrison could probably play for Manchester City
  • What annoys me most is that bottom Club Preston outplayed us for 90 minute or so. In that 90 minutes we had one shot straight at the Keeper. Watt is a talented footballer, but somebody has to tell him that if you keep on rushing at a packed defense with the ball at your feet, some bugger will take the ball off you.
  • Whatever ones views of Duchatelet or Luzon (or the previous owners) or individual players the reality is that, with regret, we're now talking about survival as the best outcome to this season. The stats so far show we can't score and can't defend and the performance last night indicated a complete absence of any recognizable game plan. Can we stay up? The margins are terrifyingly small. Consider this - in 2007-2008 Leicester City went down despite conceding less than a goal a game (45 in 46) and getting a result in a majority of their games: 28 wins or draws. To stay up we need 55 points - so its 45 out of the next 35 games. Based on the performances against Rotherham, Huddersfield and Preston this looks unlikely. Part of the problem is the absurdly lopsided nature of the squad. We've got an ok array of forwards and midfielders (including those playing elsewhere we've actually got 11 strikers on the books at present, which is crazy) but an insufficient number of defenders. Solution: bring in some decent defenders on loan and bring back Dmitrovic as additional goalkeeping cover. The consensus must be that Pope isn't quite at the level needed for the Championship.

Chesterfield

• The forums are at their best when the shit has hit the fan, far more entertaining than when we are winning.
    I find it all funny, I'm looking forward to the Brentford game, if we start losing hopefully it'll go toxic, if we win I'll be pleased. At least if we get relegated we wont go bust, I wonder if Duchatelet would sell up if his pocket was hit hard enough? I'm not all that sure to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think Brentford will be the test of whether the players are still playing for Luzon or whether he has lost the dressing room. After a 3-0 thrashing at home and dreadful performance you would expect them to come out and at least be committed and show effort and a bit of passion. Anything less and to me it says that Luzon has lost the players which is the beginning of the end.
    Still can't believe how bad we were last night
  • edited October 2015
    After losing 6 out of 10, winning 1 I would think the opportunity to come out and be committed would have been taken by now if it was going to happen.
  • edited October 2015

that should come with a warning makes for awful viewing, genuinely looks like 24th against 1st
    Justifies an investigation into match rigging. Some of that non-defending almost looks intentional. I went to watch Northampton. I thought they were pretty bad despite winning against Hartlepool. They were better than that.

Hell and back.
  • edited October 2015
    Aaaand today it's not the players that have me worried, it's the entire club.

From the board to the manager to the players and massively now the fans.
  • edited October 2015
    I think we'll come good. I really do. I think our starting XI is top half championship.

Unfortunately we won't have our first team every week and that's where other clubs have got us beat.

BTW their number 11 last night, Daniel Johnson was very impressive
  • BTW you know what makes me laugh. People calling for Luzon's head because he's a network nobody but crying for Riga to come back.
  • 23 yo, bought for £50k from Aston Villa

The kid ran the game
  • Leuth said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3281781/Charlton-0-3-Preston-Lilywhites-end-winless-streak-pile-pressure-Addicks-boss-Guy-Luzon.html

I'm not clever enough to work out how to get a pic in to the message, but have a butch at the wall in the second picture on that article. Flat footed and ducking out the way of the ball. Completely pathetic.

People talk about lack of bottle and fight to get out of this mess, in the past we have been just as dogshit a team as this but we've had battlers who will get stuck in (namely, the SCP Champ era). Might seem an exaggeration, but that photo captures perfectly a moment of weakness to me, highlighting the lack of fight in this 'team'. You can't go getting out the way of a free kick, it's basic stuff

JFC ok

Who's that on the right of the wall? Disgraceful
    It doesn't look good but your would be amazed how many players do that in a wall, not just a young 18 year old.

When Benteke scored that superb overhead kick, Herrera pulled out the way; so the ref couldn't give dangerous play against the striker.
    A centre half with an ugly face (Steve Bruce or JT) would have taken one for the team.

Their ain't no heroes any more.

I saw that on MOTD, too. Thought it was very funny. But it was Benteke's boot coming his way, a powerful kick which could result in him suffering a brain concussion, whereas in KAG's case it was a ball. It would have hurt too I agree but I think those are two different situations.
  • Sponsored links:

Chesterfield

Sir, I take my hat off to you for your loyalty.

Mind you, I think you must be mad!! :-)
  • Worst I have seen since 1964 (my first game) with Berdich entering the competition for the worst player to have worn our shirt. Desperate people do desperate things but watching the body language broke my heart Tuesday night. Poor Solly ended up with the ball so many times in space with nobody to pass to, so just passed in backwards and we tried again without a single effort in the second half (only one half hearted in first half)
    Need Kashi back first as he dictated play in the early season pretty well.
  • HandG said:

I'm in a minority of one but I see a decent player in Ba. Xxxx

I'm sorry my friend, but presently Ba, Bergdich & Sarr would definitely be contenders for the worst ever Charlton squad in the last 30 years.
  • Ba, Bergdich & Sarr are nowhere near the worst ever players for Charlton.

Izale McLeod has that title sewn up for the next 50 years.
  • No point giving Luzon abuse, he did well last season and the start of this.

The blame lies at RD + KM for their failure at running a football club competently. No point spending money on the stadium if the squad isn't there to draw the crowds in.

Like, like, like.
  • Missed It said:

The first goal was just begging to be scored. We sit behind the goal and it was clear the wall was set up wrong, not covering the right side of the goal properly and he was stood way too far to the left. Really poor. If Pope is going to give every team a goal start we are heading straight for League One. Henderson can't get fit soon enough and Pope can't get his P45 soon enough either.

I've seen a lot of shit football at the Valley down the years, but we made Preston North End (with 8 points and no wins since August) look like Bayern Munich. I can't even be bother to be angry about it anymore

I'm not slagging off Pope, but the truth has to be said.

Pope sets up the wall wrong every time and stood too far to the left, once again. It's 100% nailed on that the opposition will score, it's almost inevitable.

It happens so often, I'm sure I'm not wrong. I'm sitting behind him, I can see if they get it over the wall, it's a goal and so can they. Apparently Pope cannot.
  • Shocking, can't see how Luzon can keep his job after that.

3 left back's starting was ridiculous, same ponderous buildup play which results in us moving 5 yards backwards. No off the ball movement. 2 wins in 12, no away win since March. No first half goal's this season. Guy is not a very good coach.

Sorry, but you must be wrong, because Meire said he would be our Alex Ferguson and she's never wrong.
  • Granpa said:

What annoys me most is that bottom Club Preston outplayed us for 90 minute or so. In that 90 minutes we had one shot straight at the Keeper. Watt is a talented footballer, but somebody has to tell him that if you keep on rushing at a packed defense with the ball at your feet, some bugger will take the ball off you.

Wouldn't do any harm if any of our midfielders got forward to support him, at least it would give him another option.
  • edited October 2015

Scoham said:

HandG said:

I'm in a minority of one but I see a decent player in Ba. Xxxx

I'm sorry my friend, but presently Ba, Bergdich & Sarr would definitely be contenders for the worst ever Charlton squad in the last 30 years.
    Too early to write them off, especially Ba and Sarr. Both lack first team experience and are a similar age to Fox, Pope etc.

Watt, only 21 himself, shouldn't be up front alongside an 18 year old.

Bergdich hasn't impressed and is moved to a position he wasn't likely to play well in. Luzon sets up his team in a way that the main creative threats come from the wide midfielders. Bergdich and THD in his first start for us were never going to offer that.

Lacking players in those areas puts the CMs and defence under much more pressure.

I'm sure many think they've seen enough of Ba and Sarr but then no one ever saw Simon Francis winning a Championship title and playing in the Prem. Many didn't rate Mark Hudson, Darren Ambrose, Chris Iwelumo or Paddy McCarthy but they all did very well in this league in better sides.

They need to be playing alongside reliable Championship players in a team capable of competing. Not alongside 4/5 others who are also unproven in this league.
    I think it is more the case that they need to be playing under an experienced manager who has a clue about managing at this level.