Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Fulham - Post Match Views

Comments

• jamescafc said:

Dansk_Red said:

Official attendance 14662 (probably less than 11000)

Don't think the valley has been that empty in a long time
    Wait till Preston later this month.
  • My first game this season due to being abroad for a while. Without reading any comments my views are as follows. Pope looked shaky throughout, a real liability in my book regardless of how many good saves he has made in other games. I thought Ba was nowhere near as bad as his marks, especially in the first half. KAG should have gone off at halftime and all substitutions were simply too late. That said, you could also argue the substitutions were well timed I suppose. It's a pity Watt is so lazy because he could be a very good player. Overall I didn't think we were too bad. Fulham are under performing given the squad they have. If we had McCormack we would have won 4-2.
  • Attendance was 14,662 according the BBC. Looked less than that.
  • If we had McCormack we'd have won 4-0 ;)
  • Leuth said:

If we had McCormack we'd have won 4-0 ;)

If we'd had Henderson and Mak, it would have been 3-1 ;-)
  • whole game video on Fulham's SO, if you are interested
  • edited October 2015
    Most of its been said. My two favourite moments were:

1. Covered end singing after fulham's second "you're nothing special, we lose every week". Made me laugh.

2. The pillock two seats away from me who shouts "we never score from a corner" every time we get a corner. Guess which game he picked to leave ten minutes early just before that corner.......made me really laugh!
  • Most of its been said. My two favourite moments were:

1. Covered end singing after fulham's second "you're nothing special, we lose every week". Made me laugh.

Forgot that, yes, very funny
  • robroy said:

My Dad spoke to Kashi at half time and he told him he has to have an operation on his leg. So not sure if he will be back any time soon.

Bad news that....very good player. Perhaps Jackson will take over that role although I can't see him covering quite the same amount of ground. We shall see...

• stonemuse said:

did i hear Fulham sing 'how shit must you be , we're winning away'
  • Sponsored links:

• Most of its been said. My two favourite moments were:

2. The pillock two seats away from me who shouts "we never score from a corner" every time we get a corner. Guess which game he picked to leave ten minutes early just before that corner.......made me really laugh!

He is a wag that Covered End...
  • Saw the first half on sky go, ducked out of most of the second half due to running errands (and the thinking that if I keep watching, we'll lose!).....but curiosity eventually brought me back to the last ten minutes and we were still effing losing! But I stuck with the final minutes to see out a great finale.
    First half, saw some good approach play and I thought we looked quite tidy and that there's no way we could be in a relegation fight, but then again there could be another eighteen or so teams in the league that are tidier than us ! Oh but that chance by mcAleny early doors, blimey.
    And then Jackson's first touch when he comes on and boom, what an impact ! He's still very important to the team imo.
    As for the equaliser, some great work by Solly and Watt in the build up and quality cross by KAG onto Jordan's nut, what a finish.
    I'm not sure where the 'abysmal' comments apply to our performance, perhaps it was the second half that I mostly missed, but we all see a different game!
  • As I've said before, Charlton fans are simple creatures. There is no gray area. If we play badly and lose, we're terrible. If we play OK and lose we're terrible. If we play really well and lose we're terrible.

If we draw we're alright, playoffs at best. And if we win we're a really good side.

We played pretty well against Fulham. No idea where Rob Lee got the impression that Fulham were a class apart!
  • Can someone post the "that's none of my business" photo of Jacko sipping a beer please.

Want to send it to a Fulham pal, plus a Fulham knob on twitter.

Anyone found it ??
  • I thought season ticket sales were 'up' this year?

Anyway the ground looked very empty on the telly (from Norfolk).

We looked toothless until Jacko came on
  • stonemuse said:

did i hear Fulham sing 'how shit must you be , we're winning away'
    yup, and that was our response
  • Watched the full 90 minutes again from the Fulham website - we looked better on that than I remember from the game. Heads did go down after the second Fulham goal but Jacko did manage to revitalise us.
    We need to start taking our chances and stop gifting soft goals.
  • ozaddick said:

My experience today was absolutely fantastic.

This was possible to @Henry Irving, who firstly suggested I got down to the Bromley supporters night to meet Keith Peacock, and secondly to the great man himself, Mr Peacock. So Thank you @Henry Irving .

After the meet, Ben kindly introduced me to Keith, and after chatting for a while, I said my farewells. I bumped into Keith again in the car park shortly afterwards and he said If I'm in town for a game I should get in touch with him. As it stood that wasn't going to be for a few months at least. However I decided to stay a little while longer here, and was available to watch the game today.

So earlier this week I messaged Ben through here and asked if it possible to get in touch with Keith, and he said he'd give my number to him. Now knowing that he is a busy man, I thought no more of it, until Keith called me last night at half time of the ENG v AUS rugby game. We bemoaned the game for a few minutes and then he said If I was going today, and if so to pick up a ticket from reception for the West stand.

So today when I went into reception, I gave my name, and the lady immediately said, are you must be the Australian.
    With that she handed me a ticket to the stand, and a pass for the Millennium suite. She also told me to stay put as Keith wanted to meet me in reception.

Keith came down, and greeted me like an old friend. I explained he had done more than enough already and I could find me own way to the suite. But he wasn't having any of that.

So he took me into the ground via the players entrance, where straight away I was Introduced to Stephen Henderson. We then went through to the main concourse, where the dressing rooms are, and as we walked past Kit Symons, Keith stopped, introduced me to the man who was kind enough to spare a few moments chatting to me. He came across as a lovely bloke.

From there we walked out of the players tunnel onto the pitch, to the dugouts and viewed the stadium. He then offered to take a couple of photo's. The ground looks world class, the pitch is a billiard table. And I love that we still have the old school dugouts!

Keith then took me into the Millennium lounge, introduced me to a few people as he had to go off and fulfil his match day duties. He said with it being a sky game, early kick off, and with no trains running, it made the day a lot more hectic, and he had a lot to do.

It just confirmed what a decent gentleman he is, to take the time out to give me a tour, on such a busy day for him.

He caught up with me after the game to see how I'd enjoyed it, and wished me well.

So yes, I had a fantastic day.

The game itself has been covered by others on here.

All I can add is that we played a lot better than the Rotherham and Huddersfield game. I'd say we earned the draw. We played some nice patient football.

I did noticed that just before kick off all the players embrace, yet JBG and Watt didn't. I think there's no love lost there, Just my opinion.

I'm very happy not to of lost this game, and I won 20 quid on Jordan's goal!

I look forward to my next visit back to the Valley in a few months, But I dont think it will be topped due to the magnanimous and kind gesture by our club legend, Keith Peacock,

Days like this, with Men like Keith, are what makes Charlton, Charlton.

I Love our club.

Christian.

Henry, if you can sort the same out for me, I'd be much obliged :smile:
  • DRAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

DRAddick said:

Luzon said we deserved 3 points. He sings to his own tune that one.

Managed to get a result not deserved on the balance of play and will paper over the cracks for some. Hopefully this result can push the players on because I'm not convinced our problems aren't just as much mental than skilful. Would be good if this international break has the reverse effect of the last one.

A Draw was the right result.

The stats were almost identical.
    Stats don't tell a full story.
    Those stats did, draw was a fair result
  • Sponsored links:

• If we ever can get back to our strongest 11 or even say strongest 13, we can move up the table, but it's a big if.

We have massively missed Makienok & Henderson, Their replacements are not good enough.

Most players had a good game and well done to them.

Pope cost us 2 points (not unexpected) & Ba was and has been shocking. Perhaps he's colour blind ? I'm not sure what else explains him passing to the opposition consistently.

I have now upgraded my opinion of Jackson to Charlton legend.
  • If we ever can get back to our strongest 11 or even say strongest 13, we can move up the table, but it's a big if.

We have massively missed Makienok & Henderson, Their replacements are not good enough.

Most players had a good game and well done to them.

Pope cost us 2 points (not unexpected) & Ba was and has been shocking. Perhaps he's colour blind ? I'm not sure what else explains him passing to the opposition consistently.

I have now upgraded my opinion of Jackson to Charlton legend.

I agree about Ba. Seeing him get anything above a 5 in the marks thread is staggering to me. Had a total shocker.
  • Ba's passing and defending, in the first half was appalling but improved in the second.
    I think Tony Watt is happier coming deeper to pick the ball up and run at defenders, rather than a target man and being asked to chase the long ball or defend from the front. I was also surprised to see how knackered he was at the end.
  • If that one-on-one goes in before Fulham had woken up, and if Pope learns how to hold the ball along the ground, it's a totalling different game. As it was, we needed a couple of stunning headers to get even a point. Too bad we couldn't knick it at the end. It ain't easy being an Addick, but it's a better feeling coming back from 0-2 than losing a two goal lead. Fulham's supporters must have been as sick as I did that evening at the Den under Lennie when we let it slip from the same position.
  • Shame that Ba seems to be the one people pick on now. He's unfortunate in that he's a player who tackles well and covers a lot of ground but will always be expected to be the more creative of the two midfielders. Kashi sits as deep as possible and Cousins is all work rate. As a result the onus is on Ba to provide the killer passes and I don't think that's his strongest suit. I think he'd look much better in a 4-2-3-1 as one of the two, with someone like Ceballos as the number ten. That way people would see the way he gets in the way of opposition attackers all the time and plays neat passes and he wouldn't have to look for the killer ball so much. He does need to build up his confidence in front of goal through as he's clearly not comfortable shooting.
  • I thought Ba played well on Saturday - gets stuck in and his passing was certainly improved on some of the recent games. Decent squad player - think some of our fans won't give him a chance.
  • I have to admit that I watched the 1st half on TV, this afternoon and thought Ba looked decent.

Presumably, his poor passes in the 2nd half gave the impression he was worse than he was.

Apologies to Mr Ba.
  • Last year my son was mascot at the home game against Reading in late March. He's just found the DVD and we have watched the game.

We had Eagles and Johnson playing in the starting line up. Went 0-1 down and looked pedestrian.

Tony Watt caused trouble and won a penalty that Buyens converted about 10 minutes into the second half, terrible Watt haircut.

25 minutes in second half Buyens converted a cross in which home commentary said was well taken but looked on slow mo suspicially like a knee shank.

The move was great though with Bulot working well with cousins in central midfield who looked great all game and JBG pulling into the centre. Overall we look better quality this year but Bulot is a big miss (ditto but more so Gomez although at least his money had helped fund the improvements elsewhere).

Not missing Johnson or Eagles.or Church who comes on as extra strike threat before 60 minutes, JBG on right creates a superb chance with Buyens for Church who...fails to get it past the keeper when it was almost easier to score. I'd forgotten how good Bulot could be.

Then, blowing badly tony watt makes two runs hard out the defence and squares it for church who puts it away for 3-1. He was right on the line. Nice to see someone actually run like a striker into the box. I may send a copy to KAG.

Solly must have been injured...

Having typed all that realise I'm probably on the wrong thread :(

Enjoyed the last 29 minutes of the Fulham game, thought we had some unlucky/poor finishing and defending to take it that far but overall, looking at this game from last season, am still very optimistic it may click yet.
  • Oh yeah we then lost a goal with poor defence to give a nervy last minute or two.