Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Fulham - Post Match Views

Comments

• He did indeed. I take it all back. 1 in 20 perfectly acceptable at this level.
  • The last 10 minutes is why I love football. Couldn't see it coming but you just pray for something. And being able to shout at lonergan after equaliser about his time wasting made my day. With hendo, Big Mac and kashi we would have destroyed them. Coyr.
  • With hendo, Big Mac and kashi we would have destroyed them. Coyr.

I so agree
  • How about the 90 year old ball boy at the end. He got it big time.
  • Must say I didn't see that end coming. Full credit to Jacko and Cousins though and it shows what can be achieved when you attack the ball. Some folks are getting carried away though -I didn't see much character, or any creativity for the best part of 80 minutes.. and even our good players (Gudmundsson for one) are woefully low on confidence. Let's hope there's a platform at last to build on, but it'll end in tears if Luzon continues to select (and to defend) shit performances from players who simply aren't good enough (G/K and left back to begin with).
  • edited October 2015
    Where we lucky? Maybe so! But there is no way I'm going to grumble it about because the number of times we have been unlucky because of deflections etc.
  • Where we lucky? Maybe so! But there is way I'm going to grumble about because the number of times we have been unlucky because of deflections etc.

no, we were not lucky. We scored two good goals through skill and endeavour in the regulated playing time. That's how football matches go. You might argue that Fulham should have been more alert late on the game to defend their lead but they didn't.

You are only lucky if, for example, you have been awarded a goal wrongly. That wasn't the case today.
  • Where we lucky? Maybe so! But there is way I'm going to grumble about because the number of times we have been unlucky because of deflections etc.

no, we were not lucky. We scored two good goals through skill and endeavour in the regulated playing time. That's how football matches go. You might argue that Fulham should have been more alert late on the game to defend their lead but they didn't.

You are only lucky if, for example, you have been awarded a goal wrongly. That wasn't the case today.
    Or your shot deflects off a beach ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2015
    Was dipping in and out of the game due to eldest having football and indoor cricket matches
    luckily thanks to SKY i watched the last ten again and with the slowness of SKY GO managed to turn that on quick enough to see Jordan Cousins equaliser once I'd received a text message it had just happened
    More than happy with result but Popey needs to be out of the firing line , I had high hopes for him but now I'm thinking he may not make it at Charlton now
    Seemed a reasonably exciting game for the millions of football fans watching on SKY , so I'm sure they can move a few more of our fixtures round to accommodate us in the schedule again
    None of our lot who sit together (15) made it to today's game , prolly 10 or so would have been there on the Saturday
    Got to love captain fantastic Jacko inspiring a magnificent comeback for the Addicks
    Shame about the international break but hopefully we can use it to our advantage this time with some of the walking wounded returning to fitness

7th -12th 24% ......13th-21st 60% ........ League One next year 16%
  • The fact is, it is hard to see us getting anything out of our next game. Reading are flying at the moment.
  • I wouldn't pretend that this was our best performance this season but I felt more positive than I did after the previous couple of home games (even at 0-2).

We were going ok until Pope's mistake and it was a shame our big chance came so early in the game. Pope really does have a problem with hard low shots close to him. I would imagine it's worked on a lot in training so I'm doubtful as to whether it will ever improve. Hendo can't come back soon enough.

Apart from that I thought, defensively, we were solid enough but I do think the lack of urgency in getting the ball forward starts at the back with Diarra and Solly being slower than I would like. It was a weakness under Peeters and has crept back into our game.

The midfield worked hard but a) we need a creator in central midfield, and, b) the Everton lad is not the answer on the left. I'd like to see Moussa given a run at it.

Tony Watt is still below his best but he does come alive when the tempo of team play is higher. We've got the ability to play at a higher tempo so GL need to get this consistently from the team. KAG, again, showed a lot of promise and would benefit greatly from an extended League One loan.
  • The scary/annoying thing is if we could get back to half of what we was the first few games we would have beat Fulham, taken something from Cardiff and got more out of the 2 home games. I know it's all ifs and buts but besides 3-4 teams in this league the rest are Shite. Hopefully this point gets them back on track.
  • People saying we were ''abysmal'' should think twice, with more firepower we win that game hands down.
    Its fair to say Pope needs some training to work on some aspects of his game but i think hes actually quite a good shot stopper!
    JJ needs to start the next game ahead of Ba and hopefully this gutsy performance will bring on better times.
  • I'm no goalkeeping coach, but Pope's problem seems to be shots bouncing off his chest. Wouldn't a simple solution be, instead of moving forward to take the ball, he instead goes down on his side, thereby taking the ball more into his soft abdomen, with less chance of it bouncing out to the on rushing forwards. It's such a shame because he is so good in many other areas of his game.
  • Nicholas said:

The scary/annoying thing is if we could get back to half of what we was the first few games we would have beat Fulham, taken something from Cardiff and got more out of the 2 home games. I know it's all ifs and buts but besides 3-4 teams in this league the rest are Shite. Hopefully this point gets them back on track.

yup, hoping this result may turn the season around ... I still believe we have a strong core in this team and can do something exciting this season
  • My Dad spoke to Kashi at half time and he told him he has to have an operation on his leg. So not sure if he will be back any time soon.
  • MickFoley said:

Must say I didn't see that end coming. Full credit to Jacko and Cousins though and it shows what can be achieved when you attack the ball. Some folks are getting carried away though -I didn't see much character, or any creativity for the best part of 80 minutes.. and even our good players (Gudmundsson for one) are woefully low on confidence. Let's hope there's a platform at last to build on, but it'll end in tears if Luzon continues to select (and to defend) shit performances from players who simply aren't good enough (G/K and left back to begin with).

Sense GL is more direct/less complimentary with the players off-camera.
  • Sponsored links:

• robroy said:

My Dad spoke to Kashi at half time and he told him he has to have an operation on his leg. So not sure if he will be back any time soon.

Jeez. When and how did this injury happen?

• If Kashi is injured I'm not sure how much we'll miss him - plays like a fifth defender, always v deep.
  • Was dipping in and out of the game due to eldest having football and indoor cricket matches
    luckily thanks to SKY i watched the last ten again and with the slowness of SKY GO managed to turn that on quick enough to see Jordan Cousins equaliser once I'd received a text message it had just happened
    More than happy with result but Popey needs to be out of the firing line , I had high hopes for him but now I'm thinking he may not make it at Charlton now
    Seemed a reasonably exciting game for the millions of football fans watching on SKY , so I'm sure they can move a few more of our fixtures round to accommodate us in the schedule again
    None of our lot who sit together (15) made it to today's game , prolly 10 or so would have been there on the Saturday
    Got to love captain fantastic Jacko inspiring a magnificent comeback for the Addicks
    Shame about the international break but hopefully we can use it to our advantage this time with some of the walking wounded returning to fitness

7th -12th 24% ......13th-21st 60% ........ League One next year 16%

You're missing 1st to 6th :wink:
  • edited October 2015

Its fair to say Pope needs some training to work on some aspects of his game but i think hes actually quite a good shot stopper!

Yeah he stops the decent shots and spills the one's down his throat...
    :lol:
  • Moussa cannot be ignored, it was the first time he's actually looked fit when playing for us and Fulham didn't seem sure on how to deal with him.

Good came for me.

The answer to LM? I'm not sure we've seen enough to answer.
  • Do we have a sports psychologist at the club?

During a particularly lethargic period of the second half I sensed that belief was draining from the from players and supporters alike. JJs magical cameo role seemed to inject that vital missing ingredient and act as a catalyst for the team (and supporters) to up their game.

Chris Powell employed one in March 2013 to good effect http://www.danabrahams.com/news/working-with-charlton-athletic.php

Anyway once the players are sorted out perhaps we could all have a half time session from the big screen. Together we can do this. Ommmmmm
  • If Kashi is injured I'm not sure how much we'll miss him - plays like a fifth defender, always v deep.

I think we will miss him a lot
  • How about the 90 year old ball boy at the end. He got it big time.

He was a Fulham Plant.