Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v QPR Post-match Views 2015

Comments

• Nothing much to add in terms of analysis, but I just want to come out and say that I absolutely love Tony Watt

Also, how much of a twat is that Mackie?
  • edited August 2015
    I'd have Mackie in our squad. At least he showed some fight and no little talent.

Beat Solly a couple of times too which is rare.

yes one time Solly when beaten by Mackie Diarra came across and saved the situation and got a yellow card for his trouble

• Not really got much to add, just really encouraged with that performance especially the 2nd half. Please for Pope, Keshi was brilliant my motm and watt changed the game. Roll on next week.
  • Great day, great performance, great win

I just hope they turn the PA system UP in the north upper for the remainder of the season. Couldn't hear anything @BDL was saying (teams, substitutions etc)

I couldn't say for certain, but it might have been some old bollox like "get beside the Roy's and bake some toys"
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

cabbles said:

Tony Watt.

For me he has what you can't teach. It was a team performance and I was pleased with every single one of them, they really worked for each other. Yet I felt that we didn't have the beating of them until Watt came on. The close control and intelligence is something reminiscent of Gazza for me. Up until half time I just felt we weren't troubling their defence, then Watt came on and he changed the game.

Cabbies-
    He is a throw-back. He plays like an old fashioned Scottish Tanner Ball player from the 60s, who grew up playing on the streets. A touch of Kenny Dalglish / Charlie Nicholas / Frank McAvennie style of play, with the attitude of a Denis Law.

What he has is close control, quick feet, a quick turn of pace over five yards and an arrogant belief that he can beat any defender one-against-one. When he collects the ball into feet, he works the ball to move defenders about, puts them off balance and then faces them up. If his marker gets tight, he will roll them and go by them on either side. Defenders then drop off to avoid being rolled again, which allows him space to get on the turn and face them up. when he does that, he has the confidence to beat any defender one-against-one, or he will shift the ball to the side to get in a shot, as he did yesterday.

I get the impression that he loves playing football and he wants to show everyone how good he is. He knows how good he is and he feeds off the crowd. When he gets going, he plays like he is the King of the Valley, especially when Tony Watt-Watt-Watt gets going in the Covered End.

The only reason he didn't make it big at Celtic, can only be attitude and fitness. I have a big Celtic fan who works with me, who calls him a Bampot. He fell out with the manager at Celtic, who probably didn't want to make allowances for him at a young age, in a group environment. You probably have to manage him like Fergie handled Cantona, give him some space but not over-indulge him. He was dropped to the bench for a training ground misdemeanour this week, which back-fired on the team performance in the first half. I hope the Manager feels he has made a point and Watt thinks he has shown the Manager how important he is, and we can move on. But the alarm bells started ringing for me, after his falling outs at Celtic. He's a maverick, so you probably won't change him, as Best or Gazza could never be changed. That's his character and makes him what he is on the pitch. The Artful Dodger.

I'm looking forward to the next time he is in the mood to show us how good he is. Hopefully at Derby.

It's great to see him anyway. We've had some great players since I've been following in the late 80s but I can see him becoming a cult hero of mine. He's a player that I believe something will happen every time he gets the ball. Yes we are going to have manage him and his persona, one that I think will be happier when he's in the team and we are winning, however, I think that he knows he's loved here already.

I'm not overly fussed about his fitness or stamina as he makes the ball do the work.
  • Sponsored links:

• not sure if this has been mentioned so apologies if it has but just seen this on bbc, anyone know what happened
    Charlton Athletic manager Guy Luzon has revealed that 21-year-old Scottish striker Tony Watt, who came on as a substitute to score in the 2-0 win over QPR, was on the bench because of a training ground infraction. (Daily Record, print edition)
  • I wasn't at all worried that Tony Watt was on the bench. There was no way he would have lasted more than about an hour playing at that intensity, first game, in that heat (i.e. tracking back to left back late on to make a tackle etc). Far better to have him coming on for a concentrated burst rather than maybe blowing himself out and then getting disheartened and lazy (which we have seen him do a couple of times). Whatever the reason behind his absence, it worked out perfectly because as QPR understandably tired, he kept going at them.

As for the others, apart from the obvious stand-outs, I liked the work that Ba got through. First time I've seen him but he looked like a bit of an all-rounder to me....fit, could pass and could tackle.

A word of caution though. Sometimes these early games get played on adrenalin and I thought the crowd did their part to keep the lads going. We shall have to see if this new team reacts well to going a goal or two behind and a quiet crowd. We shall also have to see how they cope with the challenge of away games.

Really enjoyed it and thought every player gave his all.
  • Was it 442 or a diamond? I thought it was more of a diamond with JBG floating behind the forwards picking up the ball.
  • not sure if this has been mentioned so apologies if it has but just seen this on bbc, anyone know what happened

Charlton Athletic manager Guy Luzon has revealed that 21-year-old Scottish striker Tony Watt, who came on as a substitute to score in the 2-0 win over QPR, was on the bench because of a training ground infraction. (Daily Record, print edition)

It has been mentioned a few times mate but nobody seems to know what happened.

Fox referred to it as a "Training Ground Incident" so we have to assume he didn't get done DD or turn up stoned.....
  • Was it 442 or a diamond? I thought it was more of a diamond with JBG floating behind the forwards picking up the ball.

It's both 442 and a diamond.

It has to be flexible because Kashi is here there and everywhere just like Cousins.
    In the 1st half the diamond was more noticable because Kashi was at the base and Johann was up top with Cousins left of Ba.

In the 2nd half the midfielders seem to swap more and it wasn't so rigid and that was when we started to swarm QPR with the good legs of our midfield.

• PL54 said:

not sure if this has been mentioned so apologies if it has but just seen this on bbc, anyone know what happened

It has been mentioned a few times mate but nobody seems to know what happened.

Fox referred to it as a "Training Ground Incident" so we have to assume he didn't get done DD or turn up stoned.....

The Observer's report said:

" A dispute between Watt and Luzon’s assistants in training last week meant he had to bide his time."
  • It's hard not to want Watt to start every game, but I wonder if he really is at his best when fresh and running at tired defenders.

Big Mak looked dead on his feet by the end of the game.
  • Solly looked right on his game, anyone know the status of his dodgy knee, is he still not 100%?
  • Sponsored links:

• Jints said:

It's hard not to want Watt to start every game, but I wonder if he really is at his best when fresh and running at tired defenders.

Big Mak looked dead on his feet by the end of the game.

I think those conditions were really energy sapping. I reckon it was a test for a lot of players, and Makienok coming from Serie A which is def a slower pace wouldn't be used to it perhaps
  • Some good points there Paddy. I really think that The Championship is very under estimated by practically everyone not very familiar with it. Relegated teams from the Prem often have a big shock. Players coming in from overseas and we all know the problems we had when RD first arrived. What professional scout thought for even one second that some of the players we brought in could hack it in the Championship.

When our new crop get the pace and physicality sorted out I think we will surprise quite a few when we're on our game.
  • One game does not make a man, however it does help. Great game everyone did play well. Just hope we can continue the tempo and quality.
  • Very enjoyable first game

Diarra was my MOM, confident ans assured at the back, played well with Bauer- who was solid with the knack of not f*cking about when the ball comes his way which is a good trait for a CB
    Fox took his goal really well, I still ahve doubts about his defending and general play, but he has a cracking left foot and decent technique
    JBG was his usual classy self, in a midfield where we lack creativity we may get reliant on him tho- Ba Kashi and Cousins plenty of endeavor and putting themselves about- Kashi could turn into a real fan's fave if he keeps up his Saturday-s performance- boundless energy
    Big Mak and KAG were non existent first half, almost like playing with no strikers, as soon as Watt came on you could see the difference, and Mak's performance got better- Jury out, just hope because of his size we don't continually knock it up to him from the back long ball style.

A word on Guy- clearly know's his stuff, coaching, tactics and researching opponents etc

Austin clearly didn't look match fit and played like he knew he was above this level, should have been subbed way before he did IMO
  • Nothing much to add in terms of analysis, but I just want to come out and say that I absolutely love Tony Watt

Also, how much of a twat is that Mackie?

I'd have Mackie in our squad. At least he showed some fight and no little talent.

Beat Solly a couple of times too which is rare.
    to be fair i was talking more about his personality than his play. history shows us that plenty of twats can be alright at football
  • Imagine we put our squad up for sale - we have a lot of £2m plus players in there!!!
  • Imagine we put our squad up for sale - we have a lot of £2m plus players in there!!!

shh - don't give them ideas.