Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Christophe Lepoint Sold (Undisclosed of course)

123457»

Comments

• Man U signed plenty of duds. Remember Dong Fangzou? David Bellion? Bebe? Jordi Croyff?

People just like to forget about them because it spoils Ferguson's legendary status, but it shouldn't. He is a legend and always will be. Every club signs crap. Every club also signs good players that do well elsewhere later on because the fit wasn't right at the time. Signing a player is always a punt.

I think the point is, that Utd didn't sign a load of crap players, mostly from the same club/network in such a short space of time. No matter how anyone spins it, that remains the case at Charlton.
    Quite. They didn't sell Cantona and replace him with Bellion, as was the case with RD.
  • Man U signed plenty of duds. Remember Dong Fangzou? David Bellion? Bebe? Jordi Croyff?

People just like to forget about them because it spoils Ferguson's legendary status, but it shouldn't. He is a legend and always will be. Every club signs crap. Every club also signs good players that do well elsewhere later on because the fit wasn't right at the time. Signing a player is always a punt.

I think the point is, that Utd didn't sign a load of crap players, mostly from the same club/network in such a short space of time. No matter how anyone spins it, that remains the case at Charlton.
    In one window right after the takeover, and players were left out once it was obvious they weren't good enough or suited to the league.
  • Scoham said:

Man U signed plenty of duds. Remember Dong Fangzou? David Bellion? Bebe? Jordi Croyff?

In one window right after the takeover, and players were left out once it was obvious they weren't good enough or suited to the league.
    How does that explain Tucudean and Lepoint?
  • edited June 2015

Scoham said:

Man U signed plenty of duds. Remember Dong Fangzou? David Bellion? Bebe? Jordi Croyff?

LePoint wasn't from the network and to be fair Tucadean isn't the worst player by a long way.
  • Scoham said:

Not every signing will work out. We've had worse strikers than Tucudean since we came down from the Prem.

I agree Lepoint was a strange signing but he wasn't from the network.

Most signings from last summer worked out well and improved or at least replaced what we had.
  • I didn't reference the network specifically.
  • I didn't reference the network specifically.

• Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Not every signing will work out. We've had worse strikers than Tucudean since we came down from the Prem.

I agree Lepoint was a strange signing but he wasn't from the network.

Most signings from last summer worked out well and improved or at least replaced what we had.
    Tucudean was nowhere near the worst, I agree. For me, Abott or Sodje were. Tucudeam just had a terrible first touch.
  • edited June 2015
    Simonsen said:

At least with the network we can get shot of dodgy signings relatively quickly rather than being lumbered for years with a poor player. The problem is that the network appears to be very successful in finding us utter turkeys (with the odd honourable exception) in the first place.

It would be even better if we didn't sign dodgy players in the first place...especially when most of those dodgy players come from within the network in the first place.
    Name me one team in the country that doesn't.

Ask Sir Alex about Taibi, Kleberson and Eric Djemba Djemba.
    True, but how often did Manchester United repeat that mistake? Especially in a twelve month period. I'm sure Fergie's successes far outweigh the odd dodgy signing in 25 years.
    Give it a couple of years and our good transfers under RD will significantly outweigh the poor ones.

And Man Utd are still doing it now on a grand scale....Falcao, Fellaini, Di Maria?
    Don't forget Ralph Milne either....
    My Memory of Ralph Milne was of him being totally puffed out,
    and coughing ? This was in the Pre match warm up when he made his debut at Selhurst park. He ended up playing more games for Man Utd than CAFC !
    23 for United and 22 for us.
    "he's fat, he round, he's worth a million pound, Ralphie Milne"

You could see there was some talent but the problem was Ralph had lost his 1st team position at Dundee united where he made 171 aps, and was not a dedicated trainer or
    Player hence the pounds just piled on.

He went to Bristol city before United, and scored 6 in 30.
    He even scored 3 in 23 for Man Utd.
    Dear old Ralph never troubled the scorers for CAFC.

• Sponsored links:

• I will add that the squad today has been put together with just one significant fee - for Vetokele. The irony is that if he doesn't find his form again then that will be a real problem. With 500k transfer fee amortisation hitting the books plus his contract. Conversely if he does start putting the ball in the back of the net again then we are looking at a striker worth 7M+!

And that makes all the rest look like small change! Yes, we paid a fee for Polish Pete and Tucudean but I still think the level of expenditure is pretty small given the fact that we have been transformed from a bottom six club into a mid-table one.

And we have given exposure to Gomez, Fox and others out of the academy who are all improving at the same time.

Given the volume of decent players now at the club compared to May 2014 and the speed with which players who don't make the grade then leave I would suggest two things:
    1) Wait until the accounts come out to make judgements about whether the club has wasted money - overall I expect our losses to be the lowest since we were in the FAPL
    2) Many concur that we need just five quality players (and a few as squad cover) to complete the squad - this is eminently doable this summer, especially given the quality we recruited last summer.

• I will add that the squad today has been put together with just one significant fee - for Vetokele. The irony is that if he doesn't find his form again then that will be a real problem. With 500k transfer fee amortisation hitting the books plus his contract. Conversely if he does start putting the ball in the back of the net again then we are looking at a striker worth 7M+!

And that makes all the rest look like small change! Yes, we paid a fee for Polish Pete and Tucudean but I still think the level of expenditure is pretty small given the fact that we have been transformed from a bottom six club into a mid-table one.

And we have given exposure to Gomez, Fox and others out of the academy who are all improving at the same time.

Given the volume of decent players now at the club compared to May 2014 and the speed with which players who don't make the grade then leave I would suggest two things:
    1) Wait until the accounts come out to make judgements about whether the club has wasted money - overall I expect our losses to be the lowest since we were in the FAPL
    2) Many concur that we need just five quality players (and a few as squad cover) to complete the squad - this is eminently doable this summer, especially given the quality we recruited last summer.

Where do you get a 7 million price tag from?

I think the chances of us bringing in five decent players during the summer remote. We have struggled to sign five decent players since the Belgians took over 18 months ago.

I would love to know what fans think of where we will finish next season.

I think the chances of us bringing in five decent players during the summer remote. We have struggled to sign five decent players since the Belgians took over 18 months ago.

Have we?

Last summer we signed Henderson, Ben Haim, Gudmundsson, Bulot, Buyens, Vetokele and Bikey. Later on we signed Coquelin on loan and Watt in January.
  • Scoham said:

I will add that the squad today has been put together with just one significant fee - for Vetokele. The irony is that if he doesn't find his form again then that will be a real problem. With 500k transfer fee amortisation hitting the books plus his contract. Conversely if he does start putting the ball in the back of the net again then we are looking at a striker worth 7M+!

Have we?

Last summer we signed Henderson, Ben Haim, Gudmundsson, Bulot, Buyens, Vetokele and Bikey. Later on we signed Coquelin on loan and Watt in January.
    Bikey and Buyens I'd argue but I'll give you the others.

Sorry to split hairs but I'd counter with the fact other players were only loans.
  • Scoham said:

I will add that the squad today has been put together with just one significant fee - for Vetokele. The irony is that if he doesn't find his form again then that will be a real problem. With 500k transfer fee amortisation hitting the books plus his contract. Conversely if he does start putting the ball in the back of the net again then we are looking at a striker worth 7M+!

Have we?

Bikey and Buyens I'd argue but I'll give you the others.

Sorry to split hairs but I'd counter with the fact other players were only loans.
    I wasn't Buyens biggest fan but he was a regular in a team that finished mid table and clearly an improvement on a lot of the CMs we've had in recent years. Bikey had a good first half of the season and for whatever reason Luzon doesn't seem to rate him. In his case I think it's probably for reasons other than ability.

There were some loans but they were for the full season, it's not really that different from having a player like Ben Haim on a 1 year contract.

I think we'll most likely have another season in mid table. We'll probably bring in a few good players but won't quite have a strong enough squad to push into the playoffs. Like last season I fan see us using youngsters so it'll partly depend on how well they manage the step up.
  • MrLargo said:

Impossible to make a remotely worthwhile guess I think.

The club have chosen not to communicate their aims to supporters, so nobody can say with any authority whether we should be preparing ourselves for a promotion challenge, a relegation battle or more mid-table mediocrity.

Even once we've brought a few players in, most of them will be unknown to us, so no way of knowing whether we've brought in another Gudmondssen or another Lepoint. We won't know what sort of side we've got until we've watched it play a few times.

I think that's a major contributor to the apathy amongst supporters at the moment. We don't know what we're supporting.

For what it's worth (very little), I reckon that we'll continue to plod along aimlessly for another season, occasionally flirting with the play off spots and the relegation zone, and this time next year we'll still be wondering what the hell the Belgians are getting out this bizarre experiment.
    Bang on analysis, MrLargo.

• I wonder if we've managed to negotiate a loan back or have Derby jumped in?
  • Is Bauer going to be able to fill his boots?