Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez rumours (ed. Signed for Liverpool)

Comments

• Options

se9addick said:

looking increasingly likely he's going to get the nod at LB in their opener against Stoke at the weekend.

well done lad

Have just become very busy @ 4pm on Sunday now... Is on Sky Sports One after all
    Really ? I'm sort of over the "I can't bear to look at him in a Liverpool shirt" feeling I had in their early pre-season and now I'd be thrilled to see him start a match in the Premier League - good luck to him, hope he has a blinder, will reflect well on us on national TV.
    I thought he meant the opposite. As in very busy, because he will be watching.
    Bingo :)
    Oops - sorry - thought you meant you were making yourself busy on Sunday because you couldn't bear to watch !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

looking increasingly likely he's going to get the nod at LB in their opener against Stoke at the weekend.

well done lad

Have just become very busy @ 4pm on Sunday now... Is on Sky Sports One after all
    Really ? I'm sort of over the "I can't bear to look at him in a Liverpool shirt" feeling I had in their early pre-season and now I'd be thrilled to see him start a match in the Premier League - good luck to him, hope he has a blinder, will reflect well on us on national TV.
    I thought he meant the opposite. As in very busy, because he will be watching.
    Bingo :)
    Oops - sorry - thought you meant you were making yourself busy on Sunday because you couldn't bear to watch !
    lol! No worries... Understandable that it could be viewed both ways
  • Options
    I am sure that I bet prague he would be in the team by Xmas a donation to upbeats or something like that. If he starts or is in the squad this weekend then I believe that's a winning bet 8)
  • Options
    When he played left back for us I thought he had his shakiest game, didn't seem to like to use his left foot at all - even to control the ball.

However from what I have read preseason for Liverpool he has looked really good there. I'll be very happy if he starts at the weekend.
  • Options
    Well done Joe! He's going to be in the England squad for 2016. :-)
  • Options
    Wonder whether there is more money due for a Prem debut / start?
  • Options

Playing for the "top" teams seems to give you a free pass into the England squad, regardless of ability (which joe has bags of). You may well be right.
  • Options

Playing for the "top" teams seems to give you a free pass into the England squad, regardless of ability (which joe has bags of). You may well be right.

That's him fkd then should have stayed with us we will be closer to top 4 prem, before they will again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wonder whether there is more money due for a Prem debut / start?

They'd like to tell us but it will unfortunately need to remain undisclosed as otherwise other firms will put their prices up and the gas bill at The Valley to cook all those 16-chip portions is shocking as it is.....
  • Options
    Interesting to read an interview on the FA site where he says he remembers watching on TV when Liverpool got spanked at Stoke 6-1 on the last game of last season and that he had already spoken to them by then but it wasn't certain he would be signing for them.
  • Options
    That would explain why he didn't start the Bournemouth game because Roland was worried in case he got injured. (i said so at the time)
  • Options
    So why would you play Roger Johnson against Calum Wilson if Joe Gomez was fit?
  • Options

So why would you play Roger Johnson against Calum Wilson if Joe Gomez was fit?

Well we did every other bloody thing that day to ensure Bournemouth enjoyed their afternoon !
  • Options
    edited August 2015

the Stoke game was 3 weeks after Bournemouth...

He started speaking to Liverpool in the week after the Bournemouth game when Roland/katrien had already decided they would sell him. i know the Premier went on another couple of weeks ?
    I'm not knocking Roland for doing that because most clubs pull players out of games before they sell them.(when millions of pounds are involved)
    I can't believe i was the only CAFC fan who thought that was the reason Joe didn't start that game.
  • Options
    It didn't matter the result to us in the grand scheme of things, and why risk the kids future and our financial gains, it made no sense to play him Imo
  • Options
    It made no sense to sell a multi England age group captain, scouted by all big clubs for less than an unknown Fulham winger the same age. Less sense to do it quickly, ages before window closed with Starprix hardly strapped for cash after Liege sale.
  • Options

It made no sense to sell a multi England age group captain, scouted by all big clubs for less than an unknown Fulham winger the same age. Less sense to do it quickly, ages before window closed with Starprix hardly strapped for cash after Liege sale.

Unless there was a buy out clause and the player wanted to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Or we had given our word to him that we wouldn't stand in his way should the right deal be reached and in return he signed a deal the year before
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Or we had given our word to him that we wouldn't stand in his way should the right deal be reached and in return he signed a deal the year before

Ding ding ding, is the correct fking answer for Chriss sakes.
  • Options

but you don't know how both deals are structured so you can't judge which deal made the most sense. anyway, it's all academic. To get Joe to sign his last deal we had to make certain compromises otherwise he wouldn't have signed. At least we got a decent fee which enabled this summer's rebuilding otherwise we would have got a minimal sum instead. And it's no point bringing Starprix into it as however many millions they have RD wants us to stand on our own two feet and I don't have a problem with us doing that.

• Options
    Roberts wasn't an "unknown Fulham winger" either. They were both seen as huge talents while playing for the England youth sides. He was also being watched by the top clubs at the same age - http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/387722/Liverpool-and-Manchester-United-jostle-for-Fulham-s-Patrick-Roberts

Have a feeling Gomez will play more games for Liverpool this season than Roberts will for Man City and I would expect that will mean more money for us. Being good enough to start for Liverpool at 18 is exactly why we were always going to find it difficult to keep him here.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Roberts wasn't an "unknown Fulham winger" either. They were both seen as huge talents while playing for the England youth sides. He was also being watched by the top clubs at the same age - http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/387722/Liverpool-and-Manchester-United-jostle-for-Fulham-s-Patrick-Roberts

Have a feeling Gomez will play more games for Liverpool this season than Roberts ever will for Man City and I would expect that will mean more money for us. Being good enough to start for Liverpool at 18 is exactly why we were always going to find it difficult to keep him here.

Fixed it for you... If a youngster is signing for a big club these days then it has to either be for Liverpool or Arsenal (and MAYBE Manchester United).

Joining Man City / Chelsea is a graveyard for academy youngsters and doubt we'll never see him truly in a First-Team match for them
  • Options
    attacking players are always worth more than defensive ones as well....doesn't make it right, but it always seems to happen

(I think Luke Shaw is the exception to the rule there though)
  • Options
    Hopefully one of the add-ons is a payment when he makes his first team debut. Might see some additional cash sooner than expected.
  • Options
    Playing Joe at left back in his first game away to Stoke is a heck of a risk to take.
  • Options
    Not long now pa