Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crossrail

Comments

• Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Does anyone know if there are any places I can leave my bike at Abbey Wood station? Planning to start cycling there soon
    Is it a requirement that it’s there when you get back? 
    Preferably  :D that comment made me laugh IRL 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The best thing about the Elizabeth line from Woolwich is that it should make more space on the North Kent line for those of us who suffer congestion getting on at Charlton, Westcombe Park, Maze Hill and Greenwich.
    Does fuck all for the Bexleyheath line though. Half hourly service to places that have no Tube, in the year 2022? To get to Eltham from Crossrail I'll still be relying on a lift from my sister. Another 2 car journeys.
    161 bus from Woolwich will take you to the junction of Westmount Road and Well Hall Road, or further down to Well Hall roundabout.

Fully appreciate that this is also a pain in the arse but, if timed correctly, should only take about 15 minutes.
    I'd be OK with that if it's not a time-critical journey, but generally for me it's about getting to/from Heathrow. It's about 10 mins walk from my sister's gaff to that stop, btw. If they were to  start regular running of trains which "loop" Bexleyheath and North Kent lines via Slade Green (I've  noticed the occasional one recently), I'd trust that to get me to Abbey Wood I think. I guess Eltham to Abbey Wood would also be around 15 mins.

@Dansk_Red  I'd forgotten about those Victoria trains, tis true, but that's because I never use them. I wonder how many BH line travellers do, off-peak. When I arrive at Charing Cross, knackered after hauling myself from Heathrow with luggage on a hot summer day, only to find  that I just missed the BH line train, it isn't easy to quickly check if I can gain anything by picking up a Victoria line train at Lewisham. Usually when I managed it, I saved about 4 minutes.

But hopefully with Crossrail, I won't be going that way from LHR any more.

If I'm correct, I read in one of the Railway Mags that that's one of the drawbacks of opening this new line.  I used to use New Eltham to Charlton regularly when I lived in London but the service was depleted and I believe will be non-existent once the Elizabeth Line is fully open.
    The proposal to close the loop line will only happen if they extend the EL to Dartford/Ebbsfleet which is years away. 
  • Options
    On it now. The carriages are a weird blend of train and tube, but there's a tonne of space. Also Woolwich station is ruddy enormous 
  • Options
    The best thing about the Elizabeth line from Woolwich is that it should make more space on the North Kent line for those of us who suffer congestion getting on at Charlton, Westcombe Park, Maze Hill and Greenwich.
    Does fuck all for the Bexleyheath line though. Half hourly service to places that have no Tube, in the year 2022? To get to Eltham from Crossrail I'll still be relying on a lift from my sister. Another 2 car journeys.
    161 bus from Woolwich will take you to the junction of Westmount Road and Well Hall Road, or further down to Well Hall roundabout.

Fully appreciate that this is also a pain in the arse but, if timed correctly, should only take about 15 minutes.
    I'd be OK with that if it's not a time-critical journey, but generally for me it's about getting to/from Heathrow. It's about 10 mins walk from my sister's gaff to that stop, btw. If they were to  start regular running of trains which "loop" Bexleyheath and North Kent lines via Slade Green (I've  noticed the occasional one recently), I'd trust that to get me to Abbey Wood I think. I guess Eltham to Abbey Wood would also be around 15 mins.

@Dansk_Red  I'd forgotten about those Victoria trains, tis true, but that's because I never use them. I wonder how many BH line travellers do, off-peak. When I arrive at Charing Cross, knackered after hauling myself from Heathrow with luggage on a hot summer day, only to find  that I just missed the BH line train, it isn't easy to quickly check if I can gain anything by picking up a Victoria line train at Lewisham. Usually when I managed it, I saved about 4 minutes.

If I'm correct, I read in one of the Railway Mags that that's one of the drawbacks of opening this new line.  I used to use New Eltham to Charlton regularly when I lived in London but the service was depleted and I believe will be non-existent once the Elizabeth Line is fully open.
    What?
  • Options

What?
    He found it in a bush
  • Options
    Apparently the tunnels were so long they had to factor in the curvature of the planet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently the tunnels were so long they had to factor in the curvature of the planet?
    Well that would be a feature of any tunnel , else they would all just bore through a slice of the earth... Do you mean the platforms?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Well that would be a feature of any tunnel , else they would all just bore through a slice of the earth... Do you mean the platforms?
    No, because the difference in levels is so miniscule it would only be a factor in long tunnels.
  • Options
    Can somebody tell me, does the new Woolwich station have a subterranean link-up with National Rail and/or DLR?
    Or does one have to exit the station and head for Woolwich New Road?
  • Options
    You have to walk towards Plumstead Road, cross the road by old Arsenal gates & station is on the right.
  • Options
    'West Country' away games next season will be in Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol, Cheltenham, Nailsworth and maybe a touch of Oxford, Wycombe....and does Shrewsbury count?
    Anyway, if you have the London Freedom Pass when the line is fully up and running you can get a ticket from Reading on to the west rather than Paddington.
    Reading to Plymouth starts at around £30, but Paddington to Plymouth starts at around £36. A faster Journey without the Paddington faff at a cheaper price.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    'West Country' away games next season will be in Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol, Cheltenham, Nailsworth and maybe a touch of Oxford, Wycombe....and does Shrewsbury count?
    Anyway, if you have the London Freedom Pass when the line is fully up and running you can get a ticket from Reading on to the west rather than Paddington.
    Reading to Plymouth starts at around £30, but Paddington to Plymouth starts at around £36. A faster Journey without the Paddington faff at a cheaper price.
    Getting to Reading on Crossrail will be very slow though, when compared to the Express trains non stop between Paddington and Reading
  • Options
    Maybe, but if you start at Woolwich and don't have to faff about at mainline Paddington the time differences may be marginal.
    Either way it will be cheaper.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Maybe, but if you start at Woolwich and don't have to faff about at mainline Paddington the time differences may be marginal.
    No bogs on the trains, so you'll be dying for a piss by the time you get to Reading  :D
  • Options
    Rubbish, you do your doings in the wastepaper bin, that's why they're lined with plastic bags!
    You might have to angle yourself to avoid the cameras though.
  • Options
    It’s a long journey from Paddington to Reading on the Liz
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    It’s a long journey from Paddington to Reading on the Liz
    It's a long journey from Reading to Plymuff too. But you can usually take a piss. :smile:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    seth plum said:
    No bogs on the trains, so you'll be dying for a piss by the time you get to Reading  :D
    No bogs????? FFS. Heathrow Express has bogs and the journey time is 15 mins. 
  • Options

Lads, lads. This is all very funny but you are ignoring the elephant in the room. Or rather the Spanner on the Thread😉
    You jest but I could bore you to tears with pictures of the construction at various points during the project lifecycle.

Have lived and breathed this horror story for far too long, with Bond Street proving to be one of the biggest thorns in my arse for many a year.
    I do jest, and enjoyed reading your insider posts. 

But I did also enjoy your rather too insistent protestations that you are only interested in the infrastructure, or was it the architecture, but not the trains, oh no, not the trains.😉
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    No bogs????? FFS. Heathrow Express has bogs and the journey time is 15 mins. 
    doesn't the heathrow express use the same line as crossrail? Or did i make that up
  • Options
    Interesting article on why the Jubilee Line Extension came forward in the 1990s and Crossrail didn't.

https://www.onlondon.co.uk/richard-brown-tube-wars-of-20th-century-how-the-liz-line-fought-the-jubilee/

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Just rode from Woolwich to Paddington and back on it.

Its exceptional, it really is. 

It’s quite surreal getting to places like Liverpool St and Canary Wharf and thinking “blimey, that was quick”. Makes you feel like you live next door to these places.

As it’s brand new it’s obviously very clean - but what sets it apart from other tube lines is just how big it is. The platforms are absolutely enormous!

It moves very gracefully too. Even at top speed, it’s very very quiet and you don’t feel like you’re on a rollercoaster.
    I rode from Paddington to Abbey Wood and then back to TCR. Got out and had a look around a few of the stations too, including Woolwich. I agree, Tom, they are huge but mightily impressive. They are very stylish and the attention to detail is amazing. I no longer live in the area (live in Tonbridge), but this will be a huge boost for the area. The transport links on the Greenwich line are massively improved since the time I lived in the area, with Thameslink trains going to the other side of London, the DLR at Woolwich Arsenal, and regular trains from Slade Green on the Bexley and Bexleyheath lines. When I first started working in London I was commuting from Slade Green. There were plenty of trains in rush hour, but it was grim!
  • Options
    I hope the club are able to make it explicit to the more far flung people how easy(ish) it is to get from the Station at Woolwich to the Valley.
    Bus numbers, route suggestions, estimated time it takes, alternative two stop hop to Charlton station and the like.
  • Options
    Can somebody tell me, does the new Woolwich station have a subterranean link-up with National Rail and/or DLR?
    Or does one have to exit the station and head for Woolwich New Road?
    No, you have to exit the station, turn left and walk up the road.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I hope the club are able to make it explicit to the more far flung people how easy(ish) it is to get from the Station at Woolwich to the Valley.
    Bus numbers, route suggestions, estimated time it takes, alternative two stop hop to Charlton station and the like.
    Easiest route is probably to Woolwich on the Lizzie, then a 2 min walk up to the bus stop where you have 4 different routes all going to The Valley, a journey of 20 mins. Of course, North Greenwich also has 4 routes and will take a very similar time too, and if you get to London Bridge, the combined train and the short walk from the station is, you guessed it, around 20 mins
  • Options

Lads, lads. This is all very funny but you are ignoring the elephant in the room. Or rather the Spanner on the Thread😉
    You jest but I could bore you to tears with pictures of the construction at various points during the project lifecycle.

Have lived and breathed this horror story for far too long, with Bond Street proving to be one of the biggest thorns in my arse for many a year.
    I do jest, and enjoyed reading your insider posts. 

But I did also enjoy your rather too insistent protestations that you are only interested in the infrastructure, or was it the architecture, but not the trains, oh no, not the trains.😉
    :)  'Tis true, though.

The station infrastructure and integrated systems are my domain. Fleet/Rolling Stock isn't my bag.