Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crossrail

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Maybe, but if you start at Woolwich and don't have to faff about at mainline Paddington the time differences may be marginal.
    Either way it will be cheaper.
    No bogs on the trains, so you'll be dying for a piss by the time you get to Reading  :D
    No bogs????? FFS. Heathrow Express has bogs and the journey time is 15 mins. 
    doesn't the heathrow express use the same line as crossrail? Or did i make that up
    I think that's right.  

No bogs on Crossrail doesn't sound good!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Maybe, but if you start at Woolwich and don't have to faff about at mainline Paddington the time differences may be marginal.
    No bogs on the trains, so you'll be dying for a piss by the time you get to Reading  :D
    The Heathrow Excess is a premium product with a premium price.

Once it rises to the surface past Paddington, Crossrail takes the same route to Heathrow, but stops a few times
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    doesn't the heathrow express use the same line as crossrail? Or did i make that up
    I think that's right.  

The rationale behind not putting toilets on the service is due to approximately 600 passengers an hour being displaced.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    seth plum said:
    I think that's right.  

The rationale behind not putting toilets on the service is due to approximately 600 passengers an hour being displaced.
    Also, with a train every 5 mins, you just have to get off at a station, do what you have to do, and get on the next train.

Although it might take more than 5 mins to find a toilet at the station.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Interesting article on why the Jubilee Line Extension came forward in the 1990s and Crossrail didn't.

https://www.onlondon.co.uk/richard-brown-tube-wars-of-20th-century-how-the-liz-line-fought-the-jubilee/

A bit off track but here’s the Jubilee line extension tunnel boring machine in many parts in a warehouse we are about to demolish 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think that's right.  

Also, with a train every 5 mins, you just have to get off at a station, do what you have to do, and get on the next train.

There didn't appear to be an abundance of toilets at the stations I visited (if any).
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think that's right.  

There didn't appear to be an abundance of toilets at the stations I visited (if any).
    I believe they are all at concourse/ticket hall level if they exist (the ones in Canary Wharf are at the very least)
  • Options
    Just used it from Abbey Wood to Paddington and it’s great. Just under 30 minutes for a 3.10 fare is excellent 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Interesting article on why the Jubilee Line Extension came forward in the 1990s and Crossrail didn't.

https://www.onlondon.co.uk/richard-brown-tube-wars-of-20th-century-how-the-liz-line-fought-the-jubilee/

Jints said:

Canaryloo line! 
  • Options
    Apparently the tunnels were so long they had to factor in the curvature of the planet?
    Thats what I tell the ladies. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heathrow used to be the Piccadilly line before all this new fangled Elizabeth stuff.
    Or district line, cross the platform at Baron’s Court and you’re on your way.
    Never understood the need for the Heathrow Express from Paddington.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Heathrow used to be the Piccadilly line before all this new fangled Elizabeth stuff.
    Heathrow still is on the Piccadilly Line.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It's a lot quicker and they can get (mainly tourists) to pay a load of money to use it. Crossrail will probably kill it off but at the moment of you book over 3 months in advance you can get an open return for about a tenner.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    have you ever used either? I have, i was terrified i'd die of old age before i got to my 8 hour flight.
  • Options
    I have gone to Heathrow and back a lot on the underground.
    No way is it worth it for me to use the Heathrow Express from Paddington.
    Maybe it is because I am in South East London and it feels like going half way to Scotland to schlepp to Paddington, driving to and from Heathrow is also a drag.
    Best is a lift or the 108 through the Blackwall, get dropped off at Bow Road, District Line, then a very easy platform change at Barons Court, Piccadilly line to Heathrow.
    Whenever possible it would be Gatwick anyway using the train from London Bridge.

• Options
    edited May 2022

Lads, lads. This is all very funny but you are ignoring the elephant in the room. Or rather the Spanner on the Thread😉
    You jest but I could bore you to tears with pictures of the construction at various points during the project lifecycle.

Have lived and breathed this horror story for far too long, with Bond Street proving to be one of the biggest thorns in my arse for many a year.
    I do jest, and enjoyed reading your insider posts. 

But I did also enjoy your rather too insistent protestations that you are only interested in the infrastructure, or was it the architecture, but not the trains, oh no, not the trains.😉
    :)  'Tis true, though.

The station infrastructure and integrated systems are my domain. Fleet/Rolling Stock isn't my bag.
    Weirdo  ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    If you book in advance and use a senior railcard you get buy a ticket on the Heathrow Express for £3.65.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    'West Country' away games next season will be in Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol, Cheltenham, Nailsworth and maybe a touch of Oxford, Wycombe....and does Shrewsbury count?
    Anyway, if you have the London Freedom Pass when the line is fully up and running you can get a ticket from Reading on to the west rather than Paddington.
    Reading to Plymouth starts at around £30, but Paddington to Plymouth starts at around £36. A faster Journey without the Paddington faff at a cheaper price.
    The Freedom Pass is already valid to Reading on Elizabeth line trains but it requires you to show the card to gate line staff there. It is not valid on the fast GWR trains from Paddington so you would have to change trains at Reading both ways.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think that's right.  

There are new toilets on the northbound Thameslink platform at Farringdon. Outside the central core most stations have toilets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    smiffyboy said:
    Jints said:

A bit off track but here’s the Jubilee line extension tunnel boring machine in many parts in a warehouse we are about to demolish 
    That’s an extraordinary find, where have they left it for the past 25 years? 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    seth plum said:
    'West Country' away games next season will be in Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol, Cheltenham, Nailsworth and maybe a touch of Oxford, Wycombe....and does Shrewsbury count?
    Anyway, if you have the London Freedom Pass when the line is fully up and running you can get a ticket from Reading on to the west rather than Paddington.
    Reading to Plymouth starts at around £30, but Paddington to Plymouth starts at around £36. A faster Journey without the Paddington faff at a cheaper price.
    The Freedom Pass is already valid to Reading on Elizabeth line trains but it requires you to show the card to gate line staff there. It is not valid on the fast GWR trains from Paddington so you would have to change trains at Reading both ways.
    This is the content I come on CL for.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Jints said:

The original Jubilee Line extension was supposed to go through Charing Cross and extend through to Aldwych (both closed stations), then onto Fenchurch Street and Surrey Quays.

Obviously the development at Canary Wharf ruined that. The tunnels continue from the Charing Cross Jubilee Line station right up to Aldwych. I know there was some chat in the early naughties about extending the DLR through to the abandoned Charing Cross station.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Once it rises to the surface past Paddington, Crossrail takes the same route to Heathrow, but stops a few times
    A lot -but not all - of the trains on the Bexleyheath line have bogs. Some of them are even in service. Too bad you never know in advance, as I found out in March coming back later in the evening. Of course the bogs in Eltham station were locked for the night. I had a piss in the car park. 

@Big_Bad_World what do you mean by the “displaced” argument? Not a pop, I am just not sure what you mean there.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:
    Jints said:

Where’s that? Bollo Lane?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    seth plum said:

A lot -but not all - of the trains on the Bexleyheath line have bogs. Some of them are even in service. Too bad you never know in advance, as I found out in March coming back later in the evening. Of course the bogs in Eltham station were locked for the night. I had a piss in the car park. 

@Big_Bad_World what do you mean by the “displaced” argument? Not a pop, I am just not sure what you mean there.
    It was the word used at the time but agree it's a bit of a weird one. Basically, it was calculated that the space taken up by having toilets on the trains would equate to approximately 600 passengers not being able to be accomodated per hour of travel  :)
  • Options
    The best thing about the Elizabeth line from Woolwich is that it should make more space on the North Kent line for those of us who suffer congestion getting on at Charlton, Westcombe Park, Maze Hill and Greenwich.
    Does fuck all for the Bexleyheath line though. Half hourly service to places that have no Tube, in the year 2022? To get to Eltham from Crossrail I'll still be relying on a lift from my sister. Another 2 car journeys.
    161 bus from Woolwich will take you to the junction of Westmount Road and Well Hall Road, or further down to Well Hall roundabout.

Fully appreciate that this is also a pain in the arse but, if timed correctly, should only take about 15 minutes.
    I'd be OK with that if it's not a time-critical journey, but generally for me it's about getting to/from Heathrow. It's about 10 mins walk from my sister's gaff to that stop, btw. If they were to  start regular running of trains which "loop" Bexleyheath and North Kent lines via Slade Green (I've  noticed the occasional one recently), I'd trust that to get me to Abbey Wood I think. I guess Eltham to Abbey Wood would also be around 15 mins.

@Dansk_Red  I'd forgotten about those Victoria trains, tis true, but that's because I never use them. I wonder how many BH line travellers do, off-peak. When I arrive at Charing Cross, knackered after hauling myself from Heathrow with luggage on a hot summer day, only to find  that I just missed the BH line train, it isn't easy to quickly check if I can gain anything by picking up a Victoria line train at Lewisham. Usually when I managed it, I saved about 4 minutes.

But hopefully with Crossrail, I won't be going that way from LHR any more.

If I'm correct, I read in one of the Railway Mags that that's one of the drawbacks of opening this new line.  I used to use New Eltham to Charlton regularly when I lived in London but the service was depleted and I believe will be non-existent once the Elizabeth Line is fully open.
    What?

It was at a friend's house. ;-)