Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crossrail

Comments

• Options
    The best thing about the Elizabeth line from Woolwich is that it should make more space on the North Kent line for those of us who suffer congestion getting on at Charlton, Westcombe Park, Maze Hill and Greenwich.
    Does fuck all for the Bexleyheath line though. Half hourly service to places that have no Tube, in the year 2022? To get to Eltham from Crossrail I'll still be relying on a lift from my sister. Another 2 car journeys.
    Prague there are four trains an hour along the Bexleyheath line 2 to Charing Cross & 2 to Victoria.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I was tempted on as my train pulled in to Abbey wood. Very few people by that time (9.50am). I changed at TCR and was at Charing cross around 10.20 so roughly 10 mins saved on that leg.

• Options
    The best thing about the Elizabeth line from Woolwich is that it should make more space on the North Kent line for those of us who suffer congestion getting on at Charlton, Westcombe Park, Maze Hill and Greenwich.
    Does fuck all for the Bexleyheath line though. Half hourly service to places that have no Tube, in the year 2022? To get to Eltham from Crossrail I'll still be relying on a lift from my sister. Another 2 car journeys.
    161 bus from Woolwich will take you to the junction of Westmount Road and Well Hall Road, or further down to Well Hall roundabout.

Fully appreciate that this is also a pain in the arse but, if timed correctly, should only take about 15 minutes.
    I'd be OK with that if it's not a time-critical journey, but generally for me it's about getting to/from Heathrow. It's about 10 mins walk from my sister's gaff to that stop, btw. If they were to  start regular running of trains which "loop" Bexleyheath and North Kent lines via Slade Green (I've  noticed the occasional one recently), I'd trust that to get me to Abbey Wood I think. I guess Eltham to Abbey Wood would also be around 15 mins.

@Dansk_Red  I'd forgotten about those Victoria trains, tis true, but that's because I never use them. I wonder how many BH line travellers do, off-peak. When I arrive at Charing Cross, knackered after hauling myself from Heathrow with luggage on a hot summer day, only to find  that I just missed the BH line train, it isn't easy to quickly check if I can gain anything by picking up a Victoria line train at Lewisham. Usually when I managed it, I saved about 4 minutes.

But hopefully with Crossrail, I won't be going that way from LHR any more.
  • Options
    I understand that from October the route to Victoria via the Bexleyheath line will change to become via the Sidcup line.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    cafctom said:
    Just rode from Woolwich to Paddington and back on it.

Its exceptional, it really is. 

It’s quite surreal getting to places like Liverpool St and Canary Wharf and thinking “blimey, that was quick”. Makes you feel like you live next door to these places.

As it’s brand new it’s obviously very clean - but what sets it apart from other tube lines is just how big it is. The platforms are absolutely enormous!

It moves very gracefully too. Even at top speed, it’s very very quiet and you don’t feel like you’re on a rollercoaster.
    Cool, on it tomorrow morning for Abbey Wood to Whitechapel. Haven't had this good a reason to go to Abbey Wood for years. 
  • Options
    Any more big projects in the pipeline to be built, or is that it till we get the Charlie line?
  • Options
    Any more big projects in the pipeline to be built, or is that it till we get the Charlie line?
    Crossrail 2 is on ice as the Government pulled the funding, and a Bakerloo extension to Lewisham is hoped for 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Charlie line has been around for a long time 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Rothko said:
    Crossrail 2 is on ice as the Government pulled the funding, and a Bakerloo extension to Lewisham is hoped for 
    Yep, crossrail 2 got shelved (for now) because it would’ve meant a decade or more of work being doing through Chelsea. Can’t be having that can we…

a huge shame, as south west London to east/north east London is eye wateringly long and awkward. Also would take severe strain off Clapham junction 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Crossrail 2 definately dead for the medium term at least. The team has been disbanded and there's no chance it will come forward for years.  Bakerloo line extension is still clinging on by its fingernails as a possible project because of the amount of housing it will unlock but politically impossible under the present Govt's levelling up agenda and general anti-London rhetoric. It won't get funded unfortunately although it's an excellent scheme in many ways.
  • Options
    DLR extension to Thamesmead is something that I think is still hanging on by a thread.
  • Options
    And that’s considering how much London has fronted up already for this 

• Options
    I saw some of the Crossrail footage on the local news.
    Some proper strange folk about.

A woman (possibly 60's) had come over from USA to take the first trip and it was apparently one of the most exciting days of her life.

Then there was a bunch of people outside a station singing Purple Train (Purple rain, Prince) in such an excited manner they looked they would self combust with pure joy.
    It was partly the reason I skipped the chance to try and get on the first train. Leave it to the people who love trains the same way we love Charlton.

I saw a clip of the Purple Train bit online, and could only get about 10 seconds in before having to stop it.
  • Options
    I've ruined my anorak credibility by failing to go on Crossrail on its first day  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A true Charlton hero, they should erect a statue for him and get rid of that Bartram one.
  • Options
    Liverpool St - Woolwich - Charlton will be my new preferred route

Saves the ballache of the Blackwall Tunnel and means I can have a beer and numb the pain of seeing us lose at home to Mansfield 👍
  • Options

Lads, lads. This is all very funny but you are ignoring the elephant in the room. Or rather the Spanner on the Thread😉
  • Options
    I saw some of the Crossrail footage on the local news.
    Some proper strange folk about.

A woman (possibly 60's) had come over from USA to take the first trip and it was apparently one of the most exciting days of her life.

Then there was a bunch of people outside a station singing Purple Train (Purple rain, Prince) in such an excited manner they looked they would self combust with pure joy.
    Proper charlton
  • Options
    161 bus from Woolwich will take you to the junction of Westmount Road and Well Hall Road, or further down to Well Hall roundabout.

Fully appreciate that this is also a pain in the arse but, if timed correctly, should only take about 15 minutes.
    When I lived in WHR it was sometimes quicker jumping on a 'fast' train to Woolwich Arsenal and getting the 161 then waiting on the train to Eltham and walking up from there to where we lived on WHR (by the Stephen Lawrence plaque).
  • Options

Lads, lads. This is all very funny but you are ignoring the elephant in the room. Or rather the Spanner on the Thread😉
    You jest but I could bore you to tears with pictures of the construction at various points during the project lifecycle.

Have lived and breathed this horror story for far too long, with Bond Street proving to be one of the biggest thorns in my arse for many a year.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if there are any places I can leave my bike at Abbey Wood station? Planning to start cycling there soon
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I'd be OK with that if it's not a time-critical journey, but generally for me it's about getting to/from Heathrow. It's about 10 mins walk from my sister's gaff to that stop, btw. If they were to  start regular running of trains which "loop" Bexleyheath and North Kent lines via Slade Green (I've  noticed the occasional one recently), I'd trust that to get me to Abbey Wood I think. I guess Eltham to Abbey Wood would also be around 15 mins.

@Dansk_Red  I'd forgotten about those Victoria trains, tis true, but that's because I never use them. I wonder how many BH line travellers do, off-peak. When I arrive at Charing Cross, knackered after hauling myself from Heathrow with luggage on a hot summer day, only to find  that I just missed the BH line train, it isn't easy to quickly check if I can gain anything by picking up a Victoria line train at Lewisham. Usually when I managed it, I saved about 4 minutes.

But hopefully with Crossrail, I won't be going that way from LHR any more.

If I'm correct, I read in one of the Railway Mags that that's one of the drawbacks of opening this new line.  I used to use New Eltham to Charlton regularly when I lived in London but the service was depleted and I believe will be non-existent once the Elizabeth Line is fully open.