Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crossrail

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    oh and the funding of Crossrail, saw Londoners pay 70% of the bill, so why the fuck should Londoners pay for it to go into Kent. 
    a) Because Londoners only paid 70%
    b) Because Londoners already paid for it to go into the already much better served Essex and Berkshire. Reading is as far from London (if not further) than Maidstone for fuck sake. Why are Londoners happy to pay for a train to go to Reading, but not the fraction of that distance to Dartford and Ebbsfleet
    Crossrail has taken over the local services to the east and west of London. These just happen to terminate at Reading and Shenfield.

The power to the trains comes from overhead lines so the service south of the river terminates on new tracks at Abbey Wood which suits the service pattern. There is a connection to lines into Kent but no power supply.

Dual voltage trains would have added significantly to the costs 
  • Options
    This kind of information is internet gold for Charlton Fans.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    This kind of information is internet gold for Charlton Fans.
    And millwall.  ;)
  • Options

Ignore the 16 min walk label (I'm guessing that's if you want to take a really roundabout walk around downtown Ebbsfleet), but you can see the direct route which would involve an elevated walk way over the freight line and road (plus Northfleet station is already higher up than Ebbsfleet, which is in an old quarry). So 264m vs 965m (0.6 miles), which would be a tiny fraction of the cost of linking the domestic platforms at Ebbsfleet up to the London side of Ebbsfleet.

The added bonus of the walkway would also be that you could change trains without having to be exposed to any of Northfleet, definitely a bonus.
    The real added bonus of a walkway? You can go there with a Tupperware box of sandwiches and a flask and watch the trains go past.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Rothko said:
    oh and the funding of Crossrail, saw Londoners pay 70% of the bill, so why the fuck should Londoners pay for it to go into Kent. 
    b) Because Londoners already paid for it to go into the already much better served Essex and Berkshire. Reading is as far from London (if not further) than Maidstone for fuck sake. Why are Londoners happy to pay for a train to go to Reading, but not the fraction of that distance to Dartford and Ebbsfleet
    Crossrail has taken over the local services to the east and west of London. These just happen to terminate at Reading and Shenfield.

The power to the trains comes from overhead lines so the service south of the river terminates on new tracks at Abbey Wood which suits the service pattern. There is a connection to lines into Kent but no power supply.

I need a lie down. 
  • Options
    Any chance in the future whether they could run the line out to Baughurst where i currently live, save me getting the bus into Basingstoke then.
  • Options

Ignore the 16 min walk label (I'm guessing that's if you want to take a really roundabout walk around downtown Ebbsfleet), but you can see the direct route which would involve an elevated walk way over the freight line and road (plus Northfleet station is already higher up than Ebbsfleet, which is in an old quarry). So 264m vs 965m (0.6 miles), which would be a tiny fraction of the cost of linking the domestic platforms at Ebbsfleet up to the London side of Ebbsfleet.

The added bonus of the walkway would also be that you could change trains without having to be exposed to any of Northfleet, definitely a bonus.
    The real added bonus of a walkway? You can go there with a Tupperware box of sandwiches and a flask and watch the trains go past.
    Corned beef and Branston pickle sandwiches, Tizer, notebook and camera. In pre-anorak days a plastic mac.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Rothko said:

And if they shared the lines after Abbey Wood with Southeastern trains, the Crossrail trains would be affected every time there was a Southeastern problem
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here's a question, you catch a south eastern train to Abbey Wood with a ticket that far, do you have to come out of the station, and then touch in to TfL fares, or are there Oyster/Contactless readers on the bridges on the platform?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Here's a question, you catch a south eastern train to Abbey Wood with a ticket that far, do you have to come out of the station, and then touch in to TfL fares, or are there Oyster/Contactless readers on the bridges on the platform?
    Not sure, but the link below provides information on the design & layout of Abbey Wood Station.
    https://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/stations/abbey-wood-station/
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    It might be like the two sets of barriers they have between Waterloo east and southwark tube with nothing in between. That would be exciting (for some).
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Yep, probably until they’ve got through running from Shenfield and Reading in October 
  • Options

First Tube map featuring new Elizabeth line unveiled

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61506589The Elizabeth line is shown as a double line in purple on the updated Tue mapTube map
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I work in Tower Hill and get a SE Train from Bexleyheath to Cannon St and walk, takes around 45 mins - Cost is £11.40 per day.

If I get a tube from Abbeywood to Whitechapel then change to Tower Hill it'll take about half that time. Anyone know what the return cost would be on Oyster?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I work in Tower Hill and get a SE Train from Bexleyheath to Cannon St and walk, takes around 45 mins - Cost is £11.40 per day.

If I get a tube from Abbeywood to Whitechapel then change to Tower Hill it'll take about half that time. Anyone know what the return cost would be on Oyster?
    im guessing the same as a travel card/zone 4 to 1?

so 8.60
  • Options

TfL has confirmed that "fares on the Elizabeth line from the east or west into the central section stations will be exactly the same as travelling today to a London Underground station in the same zone as the required Elizabeth line station, with fare capping also in place." This includes the Elizabeth line stations beyond the London fare zones.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I work at Aldgate, and I’m going to walk from Whitechapel, makes the journey a bit cheaper to £5.40 return 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I work at Aldgate, and I’m going to walk from Whitechapel, makes the journey a bit cheaper to £5.40 return 
    Yeah i could probably do the walk from there in 15 mins, which is nothing when the suns out.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Yeah i could probably do the walk from there in 15 mins, which is nothing when the suns out.
    But you will have to step over the people passed out by the methadone clinic.
  • Options
    How much will a single to Heathrow from Woolwich on Crossrail be? There is to be a Heathrow premium according to the Standard, so will it be £10.60 ?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    It has been announced that the Freedom Pass is valid on all Elizabeth line services,  
  • Options
    Wow.
    As far as Reading?
  • Options
    How much will a single to Heathrow from Woolwich on Crossrail be? There is to be a Heathrow premium according to the Standard, so will it be £10.60 ?
    £5.50 peak
    £3.50 0ff-peak
    £6.30 cash anytime.
    https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/single-fare-finder?intcmp=54716
  • Options
    clive said:
    £5.50 peak
    £3.50 0ff-peak
    £6.30 cash anytime.
    https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/single-fare-finder?intcmp=54716

• Options
    Many years ago, when I lived in Romford, you could get a train into Liverpool Street in 21 minutes. The Crossrail timing is 29 minutes: that's progress!