Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crossrail

Comments

• Options
    Good use of camera angles and positions there not to show too much of the 'other' side of the road !  :)
  • Options
    kilian_om said:
    Jints said:
    Has any country managed MASSIVE civil engineering projects without cheap labour and no budget constraints?
    https://amp.dw.com/en/berlins-new-airport-finally-opens-a-story-of-failure-and-embarrassment/a-55446329
    That airport is a national disgrace, and the average German will readily agree with that. It's not entirely clear why it has been such a fiasco.

On the other hand, Crossrail is basically the equivalent of a Paris RER line. And as always, I feel the need to remind people Crossrail was first mooted in 1974. If you take a look at the history of the RER it's a bit difficult to compare directly; they actually started building one in 1969, but that alone shows the vision in Paris that has been sadly missing in London for years. There are now FIVE of them, and the most recent was already running in 1999. 382 miles of track, 258 stations...but Crossrail, complex, connecting with existing lines, blah, blah. But hidden in the Wiki page is an interesting insight into how the RER is funded:  A local tax on business. Can't have that in London, can we, old boy, that's..that's soshulism !
    1. Only a small part of the construction of RER was funded by that tax (it continues in place and pays for some  transport opertaional costs). 

2. 25% of Crossrail was funded directly by business. Most of that was from a specific business rate levy, with about £1bn coming from taxes on development.  
    Well I know no more than what I read on Wikipedia, whereas you may well feel you do, but in that case maybe you should update the Wikipedia page. 25% is better than nothing, but the Wiki entry reads as if the tax paid the lions share of the more recent lines. And more significant to my previous post, at the time the Paris RERs were financed and built, we know who was in power here, and what she and her lot thought about rail, don’t we?

Either way,  they have five of the things, running so long that they look pretty tatty, and we still don’t have one. For a long time, when my buddy worked on it, they boasted that it would be delivered “on time and on budget in 2018”. My buddy really believed it. (He fell ill though and passed away in 2019) 
    We actually have an RER style service in the core section of Thameslink. Both have a similar capacity in terms of passengers moved per hour per track. RER A capacity = 2000 passengers per train * 20 trains an hour = 52000. Thameslink = 1750 * 24 = 42000 

For context the jubilee line moves 29000 people an hour per direction, a well designed cycle lane can move 14000 people in an hour and a lane of car traffic can move 2000 people.
    29000 football fans could leave a stadium and be ‘moved’ via the jubilee line; in all practicality 14000 football fans probably couldn’t leave a football stadium and get on their bikes even if they are spread along the line at stadiums from Shepherd’s Bush to Stratford 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Heard that we could be less then 6 weeks from it being open 
    It's like a Charlton player returning from injury, always being delayed...
    At least now it's out on the grass with trial operations carrying people. The final trials are in early March.

Could open soon after between Abbey Wood and Paddington.
  • Options
    The way they are talking about it now I will be amazed if it isn’t open by June as predicted.
  • Options
    They’ve been building an extension to one of the lines here. It was supposed to open last June I think, but then delayed for Covid/supply chain issues. Then it was January, and one of the last steps was putting electrical equipment into substations - but in November they delayed it again. The plan called for multiple teams to be working simultaneously each substation. Only problem is you can only fit two people in at a time. Now March for one spur, and June for the rest. Don’t you love a plan. 
  • Options
    Cancelled, trespasser on the line......I joke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    So March 21 then. The day after I’ve sodded off back, after my first visit over in 2.5 years. Serves me right, I hear the chorus :smile:

does look very impressive, although I didnt realise the station is in the Arsenal. Isnt that a bit of a walk from the DLR and SE stations? 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    So March 21 then. The day after I’ve sodded off back, after my first visit over in 2.5 years. Serves me right, I hear the chorus :smile:

does look very impressive, although I didnt realise the station is in the Arsenal. Isnt that a bit of a walk from the DLR and SE stations? 
    Not at all. Turn right out of the stations and walk down to the front of the road. Cross over and you’re there.  Couple of minutes at most. No longer than it takes to switch between most tube lines in town. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Rothko said:

The date their working to is March 6, but it could end up in May, but you can see via https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:WWC/2022-02-14/2101?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=XR

how many trains are bombing around on the central route pretty reliably, and 29 minutes Abbey Wood to Paddington is impressive
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

The date their working to is March 6, but it could end up in May, but you can see via https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:WWC/2022-02-14/2101?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=XR

how many trains are bombing around on the central route pretty reliably, and 29 minutes Abbey Wood to Paddington is impressive
    Great. What’s the word on when it will run into Heathrow?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Great. What’s the word on when it will run into Heathrow?
    The official line from Crossrail is ‘Autumn ‘22’ for services from Heathrow and Reading running through to Abbey Wood
  • Options
    Rothko said:

12 trains an hour are running between Abbey Wood and Paddington (sometimes West Ealing).

At weekends they are running another 12 trains per hour between Stratford and Paddington.

This is so that test the switching of the signalling systems went entering the tunnels from East London.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    TelMc32 said:
    Rothko said:

Not at all. Turn right out of the stations and walk down to the front of the road. Cross over and you’re there.  Couple of minutes at most. No longer than it takes to switch between most tube lines in town. 
    Although in this instance you have to come out into the open and face the locals!
    Those of you with a nervous disposition can probably run it in 30 seconds!!! 🏃‍♂️ 💨  😂
  • Options
    News on testing, suspect if these are all cleared you'll get two weeks shadow running and then open. 

• Options
    Rothko said:
    News on testing, suspect if these are all cleared you'll get two weeks shadow running and then open. 

I am booked in for the 24 TPH Timetable Trial Operation Test at Paddington. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Try and contain yourself. It will be worth it
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR0kWfZTcrY

Design & Architecture: Abbey Wood Elizabeth line station

• Options
    I wonder how many minutes it would take the average walker to get from the Woolwich station to the Valley?
    Mind you walking that route would not be a pleasant experience hard by that lower road.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I wonder how many minutes it would take the average walker to get from the Woolwich station to the Valley?
    Mind you walking that route would not be a pleasant experience hard by that lower road.
    Walk by the river and cut inland at Anchor in Hope 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    seth plum said:
    Hi Seth - as an ex Woolwich Boy you could cut along behind the main Road and take a lovely back street stroll to the beloved Valley or even a wonderful Thames Path route :)
  • Options
    The New Abbey Wood station is a thing of joy 
  • Options
    Wouldn’t the walk be a little less lovely around the south circ/ferry bit?
    I tried cycling from Erith to Greenwich but got stymied at the ferry.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The New Abbey Wood station is a thing of joy 
    it is lol
  • Options
    Any joy encountered arriving at AW walking through that new statin building will be instantly dismantled the moment one glimpses the environs.