Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crossrail

Comments

• Options
    Was thinking about getting on the first train from Abbey Wood as I only live down the road, but can already sense that it is just going to be absolutely rammed.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Many years ago, when I lived in Romford, you could get a train into Liverpool Street in 21 minutes. The Crossrail timing is 29 minutes: that's progress!
    I live in Chelmsford and can't see any benefit from changing at Shenfield
  • Options
    Best way would be go to Belvedere catch a train to Abbey wood. That way you will already be in the station, that is of course they open the two link bridges from the platforms.    
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    cafcfan said:
    Many years ago, when I lived in Romford, you could get a train into Liverpool Street in 21 minutes. The Crossrail timing is 29 minutes: that's progress!
    I live in Chelmsford and can't see any benefit from changing at Shenfield
    Until through trains start from shenfield to Paddington, continue to change at Liverpool St. When through trains start next year, I would change at Stratford if I were you.
  • Options
    Is anybody here actually going to try to get on the first Crossrail train from Abbey Wood tomorrow just to experience it?
  • Options
    Not the first one, but sometime on the first day.
    Choo Choo Cherboogie.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Is anybody here actually going to try to get on the first Crossrail train from Abbey Wood tomorrow just to experience it?
    I wonder how many thousands will be doing this?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Its the biggest launch of a new system on the network since the Jubilee Line extension over 20 years ago, so there will be huge amounts of train nerds, and not necessarily ppl actually going to work. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Its the biggest launch of a new system on the network since the Jubilee Line extension over 20 years ago, so there will be huge amounts of train nerds, and not necessarily ppl actually going to work. 
    I will be one of those train nerds! Sadly, I am quite excited. I think you need to be a very hard core train nerd to try and get the first train. Mind you, it would look great on your trainspotter's CV!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    I will be one of those train nerds! Sadly, I am quite excited. I think you need to be a very hard core train nerd to try and get the first train. Mind you, it would look great on your trainspotter's CV!
    I live 20 min walk from Woolwich station so was thinking of just jumping on there. Whether there will be any space for me to actually get on is another thing! 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Wow.
    As far as Reading?
    Yes but it won’t work the gates there. You have to show the gate line staff who will let you through. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Was thinking about getting on the first train from Abbey Wood as I only live down the road, but can already sense that it is just going to be absolutely rammed.
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    you'll need waders and wellys to slosh thru all the "rail enthusiast" drool

It'll be up and running for all of a fortnight before the railway staff's unions drag them out on strike
  • Options
    I am up from Dorset to visit my 91 year old Mum on Saturday and I am hoping to tie-in a ride on the new line, even if only to Woolwich and back.
    When we moved on to the "new" Abbey Wood Estate back in 1958, Abbey Wood Station still looked like this. Where has the time gone!

Is that you with your Mum on the platform? :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I am up from Dorset to visit my 91 year old Mum on Saturday and I am hoping to tie-in a ride on the new line, even if only to Woolwich and back.
    When we moved on to the "new" Abbey Wood Estate back in 1958, Abbey Wood Station still looked like this. Where has the time gone!

Is that you with your Mum on the platform? :smile:

Good shout Oggy, but no.
    I would have been a year or two older than the little lad in the photo I think.
  • Options
    Here we go! Queued up for the first train from Abbey Wood.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Elizabeth line: Why Abbey Wood has high hopes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61552933
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Today I learned, Abbey Wood has always looked grim.
    When I moved to Abbey Wood in 1976 it used to smell grim too. 

I must have been equidistant from the lead smelting works and the Belvedere stink.  Occasionally, rotten eggs would arrive on an Easterly wind and a worryingly acrid, nose twitching smell from the west.

Was still happy enough living there though and being 5 minutes walk from the station a real boon.  I think Crossrail will lift the area.
  • Options

• Options
    The best thing about the Elizabeth line from Woolwich is that it should make more space on the North Kent line for those of us who suffer congestion getting on at Charlton, Westcombe Park, Maze Hill and Greenwich.
    Does fuck all for the Bexleyheath line though. Half hourly service to places that have no Tube, in the year 2022? To get to Eltham from Crossrail I'll still be relying on a lift from my sister. Another 2 car journeys.
  • Options
    The best thing about the Elizabeth line from Woolwich is that it should make more space on the North Kent line for those of us who suffer congestion getting on at Charlton, Westcombe Park, Maze Hill and Greenwich.
    Does fuck all for the Bexleyheath line though. Half hourly service to places that have no Tube, in the year 2022? To get to Eltham from Crossrail I'll still be relying on a lift from my sister. Another 2 car journeys.
    161 bus from Woolwich will take you to the junction of Westmount Road and Well Hall Road, or further down to Well Hall roundabout.

Fully appreciate that this is also a pain in the arse but, if timed correctly, should only take about 15 minutes.
  • Options
    so if I'm reading this thread correct (and I might not be) it's no more expensive on the Elizabeth line than the normal lines?
  • Options
    so if I'm reading this thread correct (and I might not be) it's no more expensive on the Elizabeth line than the normal lines?
    Think it's cheaper then the Southeastern Service from Abbey Wood and Woolwich Arsenal to central London
  • Options
    Correct. LU/TfL couldn't charge more for one line compared to others, despite it only having skin in the game for 5 sites (maintaining far more of the RfLi infrastructure at non-LUL locations, though).
  • Options
    Found this an interesting read , apologies if its already been posted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61505172