Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crossrail

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Maybe, but if you start at Woolwich and don't have to faff about at mainline Paddington the time differences may be marginal.
    Either way it will be cheaper.
    No bogs on the trains, so you'll be dying for a piss by the time you get to Reading  :D
    No bogs????? FFS. Heathrow Express has bogs and the journey time is 15 mins. 
    The Heathrow Excess is a premium product with a premium price.

Once it rises to the surface past Paddington, Crossrail takes the same route to Heathrow, but stops a few times
    A lot -but not all - of the trains on the Bexleyheath line have bogs. Some of them are even in service. Too bad you never know in advance, as I found out in March coming back later in the evening. Of course the bogs in Eltham station were locked for the night. I had a piss in the car park. 

@Big_Bad_World what do you mean by the “displaced” argument? Not a pop, I am just not sure what you mean there.
    It was the word used at the time but agree it's a bit of a weird one. Basically, it was calculated that the space taken up by having toilets on the trains would equate to approximately 600 passengers not being able to be accomodated per hour of travel  :)
    Yes, after I posted I googled and got a TfL spokesman using the exact phrase. Railway people have their own language. 

I checked the situation on the Paris RERs and they had bogs but have been withdrawing them. But they blame "health and security" issues. Apparently they were extensively occupied by homeless types. But then again, we Brits aren't supposed to consider France any kind of benchmark when it comes to bogs, right? 

I'll predict how this will end up. I'll give it 2 years. As people start using it, especially to/from LHR, the complaints will start to gather heat (It was described as "the most controversial element" in the article I read) but TfL will resist until some entitled female Tory SPAD leaves yet another Bojo thrash lateish and decides to give Crossrail a try. She gets badly caught short and next day makes a big thing about it. Bojo briefs the Mail, which starts a Campaign, claiming that the decision not to have bogs was -somehow-  Sadiq Khan's fault. TfL buckle and bogs are retrofitted at huge extra cost. 

Doubt it, the walkthrough carriages aren't toilet friendly, like the overground. More likely they retrofit bogs in all the stations
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    seth plum said:
    Maybe, but if you start at Woolwich and don't have to faff about at mainline Paddington the time differences may be marginal.
    No bogs on the trains, so you'll be dying for a piss by the time you get to Reading  :D

Once it rises to the surface past Paddington, Crossrail takes the same route to Heathrow, but stops a few times
    A lot -but not all - of the trains on the Bexleyheath line have bogs. Some of them are even in service. Too bad you never know in advance, as I found out in March coming back later in the evening. Of course the bogs in Eltham station were locked for the night. I had a piss in the car park. 

@Big_Bad_World what do you mean by the “displaced” argument? Not a pop, I am just not sure what you mean there.
    It was the word used at the time but agree it's a bit of a weird one. Basically, it was calculated that the space taken up by having toilets on the trains would equate to approximately 600 passengers not being able to be accomodated per hour of travel  :)
    Yes, after I posted I googled and got a TfL spokesman using the exact phrase. Railway people have their own language. 

I checked the situation on the Paris RERs and they had bogs but have been withdrawing them. But they blame "health and security" issues. Apparently they were extensively occupied by homeless types. But then again, we Brits aren't supposed to consider France any kind of benchmark when it comes to bogs, right? 

I'll predict how this will end up. I'll give it 2 years. As people start using it, especially to/from LHR, the complaints will start to gather heat (It was described as "the most controversial element" in the article I read) but TfL will resist until some entitled female Tory SPAD leaves yet another Bojo thrash lateish and decides to give Crossrail a try. She gets badly caught short and next day makes a big thing about it. Bojo briefs the Mail, which starts a Campaign, claiming that the decision not to have bogs was -somehow-  Sadiq Khan's fault. TfL buckle and bogs are retrofitted at huge extra cost. 

not sure why you see this as such a big complaint - iirc no TFL train (tube, overground and tfl rail) has toilets. Some of the journeys are eye wateringly long across london on the tube - i would know, having had to suffer multiple tube journeys from west to central/shoreditch after pre drinking in my student days. Even if they could, i doubt they'd be put in - consider the potential for some nutcase to blow themselves up/leave a bag of explosives hidden in there. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    seth plum said:

Doubt it, the walkthrough carriages aren't toilet friendly, like the overground. More likely they retrofit bogs in all the stations
    The Thameslink trains have toilets and they have walkthrough carriages. I must say that most people's journeys are less than 45mins on average so I really don't see it as a big issue, except ofcourse when CAFC play Reading in the 23/24  season. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:

How many tube trains have toilets?
  • Options
    Seeing as how Paris was mentioned, shouldn’t the trains have vespasiennes?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    smiffyboy said:
    Jints said:
    Interesting article on why the Jubilee Line Extension came forward in the 1990s and Crossrail didn't.

https://www.onlondon.co.uk/richard-brown-tube-wars-of-20th-century-how-the-liz-line-fought-the-jubilee/

A bit off track but here’s the Jubilee line extension tunnel boring machine in many parts in a warehouse we are about to demolish 
    That’s an extraordinary find, where have they left it for the past 25 years? 
    Im working in one of London Undergrounds depot's its in a building that has been condemned for 30 odd years that just become a dumping ground.
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    smiffyboy said:
    Jints said:
    Interesting article on why the Jubilee Line Extension came forward in the 1990s and Crossrail didn't.

https://www.onlondon.co.uk/richard-brown-tube-wars-of-20th-century-how-the-liz-line-fought-the-jubilee/

A bit off track but here’s the Jubilee line extension tunnel boring machine in many parts in a warehouse we are about to demolish 
    Where’s that? Bollo Lane?
    Yes
  • Options
    seth plum said:

None, of course, anywhere in Europe, whereas in the equivalent of Overground trains, most do. On many SE trains running through Charlton, and on SWR trains out of Waterloo. I've pissed in them all. 

Admittedly Crossrail is a tricky service to categorise. Many in the central area will use it like a Tube but others will be on it for longer than 30 minutes. In most Western European countries that triggers a requirement for on-board toilets. Examples are Switzerland, Austria, Rome, surprisingly perhaps, and here in Prague. Berlin is a funny one, because the S-Bahn trains, even the newest ones, don't have them, but others which run out to Berlin suburbs do. The thing is, being Germany most S-Bahn stations have scrupulously maintained toilets. Germans are a bit anal about toilets. But of course it is often said that you can tell a lot about a country by its attitude to public toilets...

We'll see how this pans out.

• Options
    seth plum said:

None, of course, anywhere in Europe, whereas in the equivalent of Overground trains, most do. On many SE trains running through Charlton, and on SWR trains out of Waterloo. I've pissed in them all. 

Admittedly Crossrail is a tricky service to categorise. Many in the central area will use it like a Tube but others will be on it for longer than 30 minutes. In most Western European countries that triggers a requirement for on-board toilets. Examples are Switzerland, Austria, Rome, surprisingly perhaps, and here in Prague. Berlin is a funny one, because the S-Bahn trains, even the newest ones, don't have them, but others which run out to Berlin suburbs do. The thing is, being Germany most S-Bahn stations have scrupulously maintained toilets. Germans are a bit anal about toilets. But of course it is often said that you can tell a lot about a country by its attitude to public toilets...

Most of the “underground” lines are above ground. Not sure how crossrail is much different from other tube lines? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Most of the “underground” lines are above ground. Not sure how crossrail is much different from other tube lines? 
    It's completely different. You cannot run a Tube train to Abbey Wood on Crossrail. And you certainly can't get a Crossrail train through a Tube tunnel, it won't fit, even before the other issues like power supply are addressed. Crossrail's trains are essentially like trains that run out from Liverpool Street, powered from overhead wires, but otherwise similar in dimension to a SE Railways train running through Charlton (with onboard bogs). 
  • Options
    Crossrail is national rail that runs underground, not part of the tube network
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:
    Rothko said:
    smiffyboy said:
    Jints said:

That’s an extraordinary find, where have they left it for the past 25 years? 
    Im working in one of London Undergrounds depot's its in a building that has been condemned for 30 odd years that just become a dumping ground.
    And nobody got all that valuable scrap metal sold off for useful cash?  Even 'unofficially'
  • Options

Transport for London (TfL) is working on an "urgent solution" to stop Thameslink passengers being overcharged at Farringdon station when connecting to use the new Elizabeth line.

Passengers have complained they are having to leave Farringdon and touch in on re-entry to get the correct fare.

Some have been charged the maximum Zone 6 fare when changing without touching in.

TfL has said it is going to install readers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61592461

• Options
    clive said:

Transport for London (TfL) is working on an "urgent solution" to stop Thameslink passengers being overcharged at Farringdon station when connecting to use the new Elizabeth line.

Passengers have complained they are having to leave Farringdon and touch in on re-entry to get the correct fare.

Some have been charged the maximum Zone 6 fare when changing without touching in.

TfL has said it is going to install readers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61592461

There aren’t any interchange readers at Abbey Wood, which is a bit of a piss take 
  • Options

More than a million journeys have been made on the central section of the Elizabeth line in its first five days.

Since opening on Tuesday, more than two million trips have been made across the whole line, which links Reading and Heathrow to Shenfield and Abbey Wood, Transport for London (TfL) said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61629982

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    The Abbey Arms is going to have a busy old time.  I was talking to the Manager and she was saying how busy it has been.  I frequent their sister pub The Star on Plumstead common.  The brewery that owns them both, have really turned both pubs around. 
    Surprised by how nice it looks inside 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    The Abbey Arms is going to have a busy old time.  I was talking to the Manager and she was saying how busy it has been.  I frequent their sister pub The Star on Plumstead common.  The brewery that owns them both, have really turned both pubs around. 
    We also visit The Star fairly regularly. Great pub with a very decent Sunday roast! 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Is it ok to go in now? Always used to have a bad reputation.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Yes very safe to go in. They did have an incident a while ago but I believe that was a one off. I haven’t been in yet myself as it’s not staggering distance. But i do plan to. 

Yes Rylo and the pizzas are very good. We must’ve definitely been in at the same time. I go in a fair bit. 

• Options
    Abbey Arms is very nice.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Last time I was in the Abbey Arms was in the late 70s. 

Me and a mate got off the train following a Charlton match and ducked in there for a quick pint.  Within a few minutes it literally turned into a cowboy pub with fights breaking out in every corner (not football related).  My enduring memory was of the old guy on the piano who instinctively broke out into a rousing chorus of Two Lovely Black Eyes ... classy.

We drank up and left.  I'm still fairly local, perhaps now that 40 odd years have passed I should give it another go.  :)
  • Options
    Pubs now depend on average joes/randomers coming in. I doubt any pub open in London nowadays can afford to have regulars who stare at anyone who comes through the door and break into fights.
  • Options
    Haven't been in the Abbey Arms for around a decade. Was fairly grim in there then, but didn't feel dangerous at least
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Yes very safe to go in. They did have an incident a while ago but I believe that was a one off. I haven’t been in yet myself as it’s not staggering distance. But i do plan to. 

Yes Rylo and the pizzas are very good. We must’ve definitely been in at the same time. I go in a fair bit. 

My dad often did bar work there as we knew the landlord and his family very well.  Dad worked for Fords, but they often had 3 day weeks/strikes and he’d work with family on building sites or with friends at their pubs to earn money to get by. 
  • Options
    I met mates near the Angel tube station on Saturday.  Used the Elizabeth Line and tfl advised change at Liverpool Street and walk to Moorgate. To my surprise the two stations were linked underground ie you did not have to exit the station. Is this new, due to the new line or have they always been linked?

If new are there other link ups along the Elizabeth Line?