Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crossrail

Comments

• Options
    The original plan was for Network Rail to give up the Hayes line to the BLE as that would free up capacity into London Bridge 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Off_it said:
    Boom said:
    Hard to keep up with the Bakerloo line extension to Lewisham, it's like a light switch. Will be very welcome for it's connection to other lines.
    It's yet to get to the Concept Design stage. Essentially two separate projects for the Bakerloo Line have been merged (the Bakerloo Line Extension (BLE) project and the Bakerloo Line Upgrade (BLU) project). BLU was part of the Deep Tube Upgrade Project (DTUP), along with the Piccadilly, Central and Waterloo and City Lines (new signalling and rolling stock to increase their capacity), but was merged with BLE as both the BLE & BLU have a number of dependencies and similar planned completion dates.

Choo-choo!!!!  :)
    Is the BLE still intended to go to Beckenham ?
    Why would it happen? Isn't it just going to run across the Hayes Line with no extra stops?
    If you lived in Beckenham and worked at Baker Street it would be a game changer, eh @Boom?
    It wouldn't a train load. Half the trains currently bypass Lewisham and give a faster journey to London Bridge for the Jubilee line to Baker Street.
    They do but New Beckenham isn’t the most convenient for everyone (including me) so if the extension went to Beckenham Junction (as I thought it was supposed to), it would be a lot quicker for me to get to Baker St.

Presume I’ll be retired anyway by the time it gets built so doesn’t really matter!
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVpBGe60fq0

Progress Update (August 2022)

• Options
    Made my Elizabeth Line debut on Wednesday. Did Canary Wharf to Abbey Wood, then through to Paddington and back stopping off for a look round at Farringdon and Liverpool St.
    Hugely impressive, plenty of space on the platforms, quiet, great frequency of service. All round very good.
    Would imagine this is a game changer for plenty of commuters, travellers across London
  • Options
    New timetable starts tomorrow [5/9/21] with the service on the Abbey Wood/Paddington section starting an hour earlier at around 5.30am.
    https://content.tfl.gov.uk/elizabeth-line-paddington-abbey-wood.pdf

Also fares to Heathrow have increased, that means that a journey between central London and Heathrow Airport on the Piccadilly line will cost £5.50.

A similar trip on the Elizabeth line will cost £12.80.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62768564

• Options
    Did an Abbey Wood to Paddington pub crawl on the Elizabeth line yesterday with a bunch of addicks (including @1905). Just about made it to Paddington but realise I’m getting too old to do it after the way I feel today.
  • Options
    Did an Abbey Wood to Paddington pub crawl on the Elizabeth line yesterday with a bunch of addicks (including @1905). Just about made it to Paddington but realise I’m getting too old to do it after the way I feel today.
    An Elizabeth Line Pub Crawl - brilliant!!!!!
  • Options
    Putting 2 + 2 together I reckon you went dirty dicks at Liverpool Street.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No, I know that pub. We were nearer Moorgate 
  • Options
    Globe? Kings Arms? Red Lion?
  • Options
    The Globe maybe at Moorgate?  Wouldn’t it have been better to start at Paddington and make your way towards home? 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
  • Options
    Globe? Kings Arms? Red Lion?
    Curb_It said:
    The Globe maybe at Moorgate?  Wouldn’t it have been better to start at Paddington and make your way towards home? 
    No, I know that pub. We were nearer Moorgate 
    The Globe?
    Maybe it was the Globe?
  • Options
    I did Paddington to Abbey Wood yesterday with me pushbike for a bike ride, very civilised 👍🏻
  • Options
    It wasn’t The Globe
  • Options
    Red Lion? Railway Tavern? Both are near the exit for the Lizzie Line.
  • Options
    The Elizabeth Line does not usually operate any services on a Sunday on the central section between Paddington and Abbey Wood, but this Sunday it will operate 12 trains an hour.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62877195
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I wish I had a reason to use this more often. Its a complete game changer for getting across London from East to West compared to, say, the central or met/circle/h&c lines.

If only it hadn't been such a balls up getting it built.
    when i used it it felt like london was a high tech, clean city that everything was easily reachable. The tube you kind of get the opposite, old and dirty and cramped.
    Depends on the tube line to be fair. Some are worse than others - normally the deeper they are the worse they get. 
    Compared to the RER in Paris, London Underground is like a spotless operating theatre - the RER is disgusting, so dirty and unpleasant 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I wish I had a reason to use this more often. Its a complete game changer for getting across London from East to West compared to, say, the central or met/circle/h&c lines.

when i used it it felt like london was a high tech, clean city that everything was easily reachable. The tube you kind of get the opposite, old and dirty and cramped.
    Depends on the tube line to be fair. Some are worse than others - normally the deeper they are the worse they get. 
    Compared to the RER in Paris, London Underground is like a spotless operating theatre - the RER is disgusting, so dirty and unpleasant 
    Well yes, on the central section between the rail termini. But I once  took it into the centre from Disneyland ( because I’d taken the Eurostar to that station) and it was fine. Like any normal South Eastern train. 

Anyway, the real point about the RER is that in less time than we were talking about doing CrossRail, Paris built five CrossRails. Most of them are shabby and long in the tooth now, well lets see how well we maintain this one line over the next 20 years. 

All that said I’m looking forward to trying it on my next trip over for the 30 year bash, even if it grinds my gears that I still won’t be able to get it to and from Heathrow. The fact that it has apparently been running faultlessly up to now is something praiseworthy. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Well yes, on the central section between the rail termini. But I once  took it into the centre from Disneyland ( because I’d taken the Eurostar to that station) and it was fine. Like any normal South Eastern train. 

Anyway, the real point about the RER is that in less time than we were talking about doing CrossRail, Paris built five CrossRails. Most of them are shabby and long in the tooth now, well lets see how well we maintain this one line over the next 20 years. 

All that said I’m looking forward to trying it on my next trip over for the 30 year bash, even if it grinds my gears that I still won’t be able to get it to and from Heathrow. The fact that it has apparently been running faultlessly up to now is something praiseworthy. 
    Be sure to give us plenty of warning when you're planning on using it - because if ever there's a day it will fcuk up .....!
    ;-)
  • Options
    Going from work to the match tonight on Elizabeth Line to Woolwich then bus to Charlton. I could get direct train from Farringdon to Charlton but there's only one an hour. Nice to have options.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

I'd say Thameslink is pretty similar to a RER line too. Arguable some tube lines are closer to ReR than they are Paris Metro (where the stations are much closer together than they are on the tube). 
  • Options
    Going from work to the match tonight on Elizabeth Line to Woolwich then bus to Charlton. I could get direct train from Farringdon to Charlton but there's only one an hour. Nice to have options.
    There's actually two an hour. 07 and 37 minutes past the hour.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Be sure to give us plenty of warning when you're planning on using it - because if ever there's a day it will fcuk up .....!
    ;-)
    There were problems last Tuesday afternoon at the Heathrow end due to somebody on the line - not clear whether it was a one-under or someone going for a wander along the track. The only reason I know about it was because my Mum and Dad were picking up my aunt up from the airport, so had to take the Piccadilly Line on the way back.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

for sure, i'm a huge fan of the tube, but the elizabeth line is even better. We desperately need more projects like this.
  • Options

The Elizabeth line has quickly become the most reliable train line in the country, official figures have revealed.

Only 1.8 per cent of the 60,573 TfL Rail or Elizabeth line trains due to run over the three months had to be cancelled.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/elizabeth-line-punctual-train-uk-london-crossrail-b1025832.htmimage