Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• cabbie8 said:

Bring back Johnson... Still without a club and although he made a few mistakes he certainly made the defence a bit more solid and with his experience it can only help. I defo think Gomez was helped by his influence and he commanded the back 4 well when he played.

No thanks
  • I think Luzon needs to patch up his differences with Bikey - then it suddenly looks reasonably healthy options wise. If we are not going to offload him, we need to use him as part of the squad. It is surely a no brainer. Bikey was great for the first part of last season and that means he can be great again and we have competition for the places!

Depends how his relationship is with the rest of the team I suppose.
  • I think Luzon needs to patch up his differences with Bikey - then it suddenly looks reasonably healthy options wise. If we are not going to offload him, we need to use him as part of the squad. It is surely a no brainer. Bikey was great for the first part of last season and that means he can be great again and we have competition for the places!

Depends how his relationship is with the rest of the team I suppose.
    I suppose, but we don't have any reason to assume it is too bad. He seemed pretty positive and supportive as a sub at the end of last season and when he was called on - I think for a second half- he did fine as we didn't concede.
  • Why would Luzon wanna start the season with a midfielder playing his unnatural role as a centre back, square pegs round holes again, look at cousins when you play a player in their proper position, you don't get an electrician to plaster your house just coz he's ok at it you get the right man for the job in.
  • smiffyboy said:

Why would Luzon wanna start the season with a midfielder playing his unnatural role as a centre back, square pegs round holes again, look at cousins when you play a player in their proper position, you don't get an electrician to plaster your house just coz he's ok at it you get the right man for the job in.

He's not got the mobility to play in midfield . As a centre back, he's good in the air and uses the ball well and quickly
  • Sponsored links:

• Diarra has done time as a CB before, before he ever joined us in fact. It's hardly a square peg/round hole situation - his preference is midfield but he's more than adequate in defence and has plenty of experience playing at centre back. It's his composure and experience that we're really going to need I think. Ben Haim offered that wily old head and cool temperament that we haven't replaced yet, and that Bikey never will - even when he played well he was charging around and storming into challenges, it was just that they were successful!
  • Lets all say it together -

THANKS COLIN!!!

He was right!

Why do the words monkeys, typewriters and Shakespeare spring to mind?
    What's a typewriter?
  • smiffyboy said:

Why would Luzon wanna start the season with a midfielder playing his unnatural role as a centre back, square pegs round holes again, look at cousins when you play a player in their proper position, you don't get an electrician to plaster your house just coz he's ok at it you get the right man for the job in.

It's a fair comment but this guy has played in a World Cup final. I doubt there is much that he doesn't know about defending and has the stature to play cb in what will be the lowest standard he has played at for years and years.
    What position did he play in the World Cup final?
  • fan-blooming-tastic
  • Think Diarra will be CB sweeper with Bauer and another CB each side of him.
  • smiffyboy said:

smiffyboy said:

It's a fair comment but this guy has played in a World Cup final. I doubt there is much that he doesn't know about defending and has the stature to play cb in what will be the lowest standard he has played at for years and years.
    Substitute
  • Swisdom said:

Talal said:

smiffyboy said:

smiffyboy said:

Substitute
    A damn site closer than almost anyone in the Football League so I dare say he is due a bit of respect

Relax it wasn't meant as disrespectful.
  • Swisdom said:

Talal said:

smiffyboy said:

smiffyboy said:

Substitute
    A damn site closer than almost anyone in the Football League so I dare say he is due a bit of respect

Hardly disrespectful to state a fact. I think everyone on here rates Diarra in one position or another.
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:

smiffyboy said:

smiffyboy said:

Substitute
    Came on in the 56th minute for Viera and played in central midfield. All the way to the pens so played in well over half te final. Didn't realise his contribution was so significant.
    So we are gonna play a man that played in midfield in a World Cup final in central defense, logical
  • Addicted said:

Everyone's so touchy at the moment. Cant wait to get offended

I am offended by you saying everyone is so touchy.
  • smiffyboy said:

Talal said:

smiffyboy said:

smiffyboy said:

Substitute
    Came on in the 56th minute for Viera and played in central midfield. All the way to the pens so played in well over half te final. Didn't realise his contribution was so significant.
    So we are gonna play a man that played in midfield in a World Cup final in central defense, logical
    It was 9 years ago
  • Addicted said:

Everyone's so touchy at the moment. Cant wait to get offended

What do you mean?

• wmcf123 said:

smiffyboy said:

Talal said:

smiffyboy said:

smiffyboy said:

Substitute
    It was 9 years ago
    Glad to hear that ?

I thought it was the 1998 WC in France when they beat Brazil in the final !

Now i know he's not 42, Centre back in the Championship should be a stroll for him, plus he's good in the air.

• colin1961 said:

Agree - but is a converted midfielder good enough as a first choice centre half? Guess we will see.

Barcelona don't have any problems with it
    Maybe when we can keep possession like Barcelona that'll be a relevant comparison.
  • smiffyboy said:

That's not always the case - just look at Marcel Desailly. Diarra has a wealth of experience so it's a natural step into the back 4. Did it myself when I started playing vets football - loved it! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!