Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• cafc4life said:

Cawley Tweeting Hendo,jackson,solly,wiggins and THD set to play at dulwich on saturday.I wonder why they wont be involved against St Truiden?

Don't believe that for one second.
  • Gutted that we missed out on Stuart Downing. We could have done with a left sided player.
    Downing has even taken a 50% pay cut.
    He's accepted £35K per week to join Boro.

Only because it was Boro, he'd have gone to a Premier League side otherwise.
  • So no rumours then...
  • The idea of padding the squad with short term contracts and loanees is doomed to failure eventually and will prevent us signing better players. We need to incrementally add quality to what we have rather than starting each season with half our squad being strangers of unknown ability in our league. We approach the season with again a threadbare squad and our captain and two best midfielders (who would walk into most starting XIs in our division) in the last year of their contracts.

In an ideal world yes, I agree. But you need an owner willing to spend £10 - £20 million of his own money in transfer fees, plus half as much again on wages, each season to have any hope of succeeding.
  • cafc4life said:

Cawley Tweeting Hendo,jackson,solly,wiggins and THD set to play at dulwich on saturday.I wonder why they wont be involved against St Truiden?

Why would you not believe it? Dulwich have also commented on their website that a number of first team players will be in our side.

Why would we risk players coming back from injury or fragile players on a 3g pitch?
  • Any guys out in Belgium with the squad that are not contracted? Trialists etc
  • Gutted that we missed out on Stuart Downing. We could have done with a left sided player.

Only because it was Boro, he'd have gone to a Premier League side otherwise.
    You have just been whooshed.
  • Where the bloody hell have Boro got £7m from. They haven't been in the Prem for years, they havent been bought by a rich new owner, they dont get massive crowds, and they havent just sold someone.

Where has it come from?!
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc4life said:

They won't play in Belgium cause the game is not on turf its on a artificial pitch and Luzon isn't sure if the 4 might get a injury from it .So they might fly back for the Dulwich game .
  • edited July 2015
    This is a shit thread. Where are the brilliant old rumours threads of yesteryear?
  • The idea of padding the squad with short term contracts and loanees is doomed to failure eventually and will prevent us signing better players. We need to incrementally add quality to what we have rather than starting each season with half our squad being strangers of unknown ability in our league. We approach the season with again a threadbare squad and our captain and two best midfielders (who would walk into most starting XIs in our division) in the last year of their contracts.

In an ideal world yes, I agree. But you need an owner willing to spend £10 - £20 million of his own money in transfer fees, plus half as much again on wages, each season to have any hope of succeeding.

Plenty of unattached players out there without paying a fee (Haynes!)
    LOL.

they've just bought a Uruguayan forward from Espanyol for £2.8m, plus the £5m they paid for Downing. This is why we will be lucky to get mid table again with the current squad. That for me is the sort of money you have to spend to compete at the top end now.

I'm not questioning our management, just pointing out that with Derby spending £4.75m on Ince and Boro spending £5m on Downing, plus wages......
  • cabbles said:

Gutted that we missed out on Stuart Downing. We could have done with a left sided player.

they've just bought a Uruguayan forward from Espanyol for £2.8m, plus the £5m they paid for Downing. This is why we will be lucky to get mid table again with the current squad. That for me is the sort of money you have to spend to compete at the top end now.

I'm not questioning our management, just pointing out that with Derby spending £4.75m on Ince and Boro spending £5m on Downing, plus wages......
    Or in our case pick up JBG on a free transfer just as effective as Ince and Downing.
  • edited July 2015

The idea of padding the squad with short term contracts and loanees is doomed to failure eventually and will prevent us signing better players. We need to incrementally add quality to what we have rather than starting each season with half our squad being strangers of unknown ability in our league. We approach the season with again a threadbare squad and our captain and two best midfielders (who would walk into most starting XIs in our division) in the last year of their contracts.

Exactly. Short-term signings and loanees only end with us having to rebuild the squad every summer. Where's the long-term plan for on-pitch development and improvement? I genuinely can't ever see us being anything better than a mid-table Championship club while Duchatelet is around.
  • cabbles said:

Gutted that we missed out on Stuart Downing. We could have done with a left sided player.

Although it obviously helps if you've got the cash to splash it's no guarantee of success as Derby have shown in recent years also Fulham spent double that on one player and flirted with relegation for much of last season. The likes of Burnley and Blackpool have proved in recent seasons that it is possible to get promoted without breaking the bank.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why we even talking bout Downing?? If Boro want to waste their money on an overrated player that has never really done anything that's up to them. They could have bought better with the money in my opinion. Thought Cawley said we was signing a player about 3 days ago. No news yet then and who.
  • cabbles said:

Although it obviously helps if you've got the cash to splash it's no guarantee of success as Derby have shown in recent years also Fulham spent double that on one player and flirted with relegation for much of last season. The likes of Burnley and Blackpool have proved in recent seasons that it is possible to get promoted without breaking the bank.
    I agree. My point was more about how hard it is getting now.
  • Skybet have suspended betting on Benteke to Liverpool & Austin to Newcastle.
  • Why we even talking bout Downing?? If Boro want to waste their money on an overrated player that has never really done anything that's up to them. They could have bought better with the money in my opinion. Thought Cawley said we was signing a player about 3 days ago. No news yet then and who.

Response when asked that question ....

@RichCawleySLP: @ratcliffe_simon This is Charlton....nothing ever runs straight and true!
  • Bubble said:

Why we even talking bout Downing?? If Boro want to waste their money on an overrated player that has never really done anything that's up to them. They could have bought better with the money in my opinion. Thought Cawley said we was signing a player about 3 days ago. No news yet then and who.

@RichCawleySLP: @ratcliffe_simon This is Charlton....nothing ever runs straight and true!
    There's a lot more falling through this transfer window for us than there was last season, not sure as to why.. perhaps Roly Poly is tightening the purse strings at the last moments. It's also kept a lot more in house seemingly, even a lot of the media are just pissing in the wind as to who we're interested in.
  • Bubble said:

Why we even talking bout Downing?? If Boro want to waste their money on an overrated player that has never really done anything that's up to them. They could have bought better with the money in my opinion. Thought Cawley said we was signing a player about 3 days ago. No news yet then and who.

The only thing I read from that is that Cawley hasn't heard anything either way - and is just generally stating that nobody knows what is going on, positive or negative, with regards to transfers. Only that things are never straightforward. I dont think it means anything has fallen through.
  • colin1961 said:

ITT

Bubble said:

There's a lot more falling through this transfer window for us than there was last season, not sure as to why.. perhaps Roly Poly is tightening the purse strings at the last moments. It's also kept a lot more in house seemingly, even a lot of the media are just pissing in the wind as to who we're interested in.
    How do you know there falling through ... Players might just not be for sale or we are quoted stupid prices

Chris Parkes is still as busy this year as he is any other, and we've hardly signed anyone! People are just pissing in the wind, but i'm pretty certain we've approached a fair amount of players but somethings not quite happening.
  • We've been plenty busy. Signing three new players just doesn't happen on it's own.
  • edited July 2015
    colin1961 said:

ITT

Bubble said:

How do you know there falling through ... Players might just not be for sale or we are quoted stupid prices

You blamed the current squad on Powell over on into the valley. Your opinion is null and void sir.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!