Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• Valley11 said:

We really are pinning our hopes on untried Championship players. Please sign a couple of players with experience of the league.

If they did then they'd be accused of lacking ambition and buying boring players - Johnson, Eagles and TBH were all pre-labelled with being 'too experienced'
  • edited July 2015
    Wrong thread......
  • Scoham said:

Valley11 said:

We really are pinning our hopes on untried Championship players. Please sign a couple of players with experience of the league.

Do we have to have players with Championship experience? JBG and Bulot were far better than Eagles. Igor and Watt were better than Church and other strikers we've had in the past. Buyens one of the better CMs in recent years.
    Works both ways. Was Tucudean better than Kermorgant?
  • Scoham said:

Valley11 said:

Do we have to have players with Championship experience? JBG and Bulot were far better than Eagles. Igor and Watt were better than Church and other strikers we've had in the past. Buyens one of the better CMs in recent years.
    That doesn't really disprove Scoham's argument though. If anything, it shows that previous experience of Championship football is not a necessary ingredient of a successful signing.
  • I don't mean to say that signings with Championship experience aren't good signings but it's never a guarantee and often a more expensive gamble, so you have to be sure of what you're paying for.

Besides, what qualifies? Do JBG and Vetokele count seen as they've got a full season under their belts? What about Tony Watt with half a season or even KAG with <5 appearances? Where is the line drawn on Championship experience?
  • edited July 2015
    Brentford 9/8/14

Henderson, Solly, Wiggins, Bikey, Ben Haim, Gudmundsson, Jackson, Buyens, Cousins, Vetokele, Tucadean. Subs: Pope, Wilson, Moussa, Morrison, Fox, Harriott, Pigott.

Missing from that 18 was Church, Gomez

Replace

Watt for Tucadean
    Bauer for Bikey
    Diarra for Ben Haim
    Ba for Buyens

From the bench: Wilson, Morrison gone. Replace with the Big Dane and then youngsters.

The squad was small last season. Luzon is spot on that a minimum of 4/5 players is a must asap.
  • How comes we only need 4-5 when we've had something like 15 go out?

Don't remember us having a top heavy squad last season, so that must be assuming 8-9 youth step up. Unrealistic.

Players who made a first team appearance and left during the summer:

TAL BEN HAIM
    CHRISTOPHE LEPOINT
    JOE GOMEZ
    SIMON CHURCH
    CHRIS EAGLES
    NEIL ETHERIDGE
    ROGER JOHNSON
    OGUCHI ONYEWU
    LAWRIE WILSON
    YONI BUYENS
    FREDERIC BULOT

That's eleven first team outs...

Neil Eitheridge and Oguchi Onyewu don't need replacements IMO.

& with three new faces in, we're looking at six signings by the end of the window if no youth players are going to step up. If a couple do, Luzon's stated 4 or 5 is about on the money.
  • Sponsored links:

• We had a ridiculously thin squad last season, remember when Solly had to play as a CM? With all the players gone in the summer, I'm afraid 6 new faces that Guy says we need is simply not enough.

Especially if you witnessed the second half of the Welling game, definitely no Joe Gomez's coming through this season.
  • We had a ridiculously thin squad last season, remember when Solly had to play as a CM? With all the players gone in the summer, I'm afraid 6 new faces that Guy says we need is simply not enough.

Especially if you witnessed the second half of the Welling game, definitely no Joe Gomez's coming through this season.

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiments, but to suggest that there isn't another Joe Gomez coming through doesn't mean that one or two might not make it. Gomez is the best young player I've seen at Charlton and is destined for great things . Go back three years and I though Jordan Cousins was an average u18 right back. Look at him now
  • Solly playing CM was a bit of a strange one yeah.

Thing is though, we now have five players who can play in that position: Cousins, Jackson, Diarra, Ba and Moussa.
  • Solly playing CM was a bit of a strange one yeah.

Thing is though, we now have five players who can play in that position: Cousins, Jackson, Diarra, Ba and Moussa.

6 if you include Muldoon, yet it is a position most (me included) think we definitely need a new recruit for. To me this shows it is not just quantity but quality that needs a large improvement.
  • Cousins is the only player in that list which you would put into a top 6 Championship side.
  • Charlton does not intend to sell Vetokele
    Looking for a new striker to expand its offensive sector, the Standard has set his sights on Mohamed Yattara. Wishing to ensure his rear in case of a negative outcome in the Guinean record, the Liège management has to study other tracks.
    One of them thus leads to Charlton striker, Igor Vetokele. This is not the first time that the Standard is interested in the former Imp. In May 2014, while he was still active in Copenhagen, his name had already been circulating on the Meuse.
    Finally, Roland Duchâtelet obtained an agreement for transfer to Charlton. Last winter, the track leading to Vetokele was again reactivated but the player said to pierce to England to move to the Premier League.
    Today, as its name resurfaces for the 3rd time in a year, that's Charlton who cuts short the rumors. "It is true that the Standard seeks an attacker as Vetokele" admits Katrien Meire, the CEO of Addicks. "But for us, Igor is an important player who has played almost every game last season. So let him go is not an option for us."
  • Article on Standard's interest in Vetokele:

http://www.dhnet.be/sports/football/division1/standard/yattara-presque-rouche-55a696b035708aa436fbd099

Seems to have and actual quote from Katrien:

Charlton does not intend to sell Vetokele

Looking for a new striker to expand its offensive sector, the Standard has set his sights on Mohamed Yattara. Wishing to ensure his rear in case of a negative outcome in the Guinean record, the Liège management has to study other tracks.
    One of them thus leads to Charlton striker, Igor Vetokele. This is not the first time that the Standard is interested in the former Imp. In May 2014, while he was still active in Copenhagen, his name had already been circulating on the Meuse.
    Finally, Roland Duchâtelet obtained an agreement for transfer to Charlton. Last winter, the track leading to Vetokele was again reactivated but the player said to pierce to England to move to the Premier League.
    Today, as its name resurfaces for the 3rd time in a year, that's Charlton who cuts short the rumors. "It is true that the Standard seeks an attacker as Vetokele" admits Katrien Meire, the CEO of Addicks. "But for us, Igor is an important player who has played almost every game last season. So let him go is not an option for us."
  • If Moussa finally gets fit he can be creative and cousins got a good assist for Grant against welling, so I don't really think a centre mid is a priority as JBG and whatever new winger for the left mid we get can create the chances, plus I can see Watt getting a few assists this season, I'm happy to go in to the season with cousins playing with Diarra or Ba.
  • edited July 2015
    Would be my team at the moment and I guess 5-6 signings would be enough.

Hendo

Solly
    Bauer
    *new
    Wiggins

JBG
    Cousins
    Ba
    *new

Vetokele
    Watt

Subs.
    Pope
    Fox
    Diarra
    Jackson
    *new cb
    Big mak
    *new lw/rw

And you still have Harriot, Moussa, Karlan Grant, Dmitrovic and hopefully another 2 signings.
  • edited July 2015
    bobcafc7 said:

Would be my team at the moment and I guess 5-6 signings would be enough.

Hendo

Solly
    Bauer
    *new
    Wiggins

JBG
    Cousins
    Ba
    *new

Vetokele
    Watt

Subs.
    Pope
    Fox
    Diarra
    Jackson
    *new cb
    Big mak
    *new lw/rw

And you still have Harriot, Moussa, Karlan Grant, Dmitrovic and hopefully another 2 signings.

I think I would swap Mak for maybe Igor if he does the expected job of physicality and threat in the air. Think Mak / Watt or Mak / Igor may turn out to be a better pair in reality.

Think we need a real top class CM with Ba acting as back up to Cousins but need to see more of Ba to firm that up.

Hendo
    Solly
    Bauer
    NEW
    Wiggins

JBG
    NEW
    Cousins
    NEW

Mak
    Watt

Subs:

Pope
    NEW CB
    Fox
    Diarra
    Jacko
    Ba
    Igor (give his Achilles chance to properly recover).

Squad - new utility player, Harriott, Ahearne Grant, Moussa, Dmitrovic, Regan Cook, Obileye
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Valley11 said:

That doesn't really disprove Scoham's argument though. If anything, it shows that previous experience of Championship football is not a necessary ingredient of a successful signing.
    He'd played for Leicester before us and I wasn't trying to disprove Schoham's argument.
  • Thing is... Has Wiggins been so bad at Left-Midfield in Pre-Season so far that we should write him off in that position (remember the players are concentrating on fitness rather than finesse at the moment) especially when he's the best of both worlds, i.e. can get forward and put in a good cross but also gives you the added security when supporting Fox in Defence.

When you first hear it, having Fox at LB and Wiggins at LM doesnt sound too bad... You can then have Holmes-Dennis / Harriott as backup.

If we do sign another Left-Midfielder maybe try Wiggins in that slot against Bolton regardless, would certainly give them something to ponder when play them in the league.

After all the last player who started at Left-Back and then moved to Left-Mid didnt do too badly in either position to begin with (i.e. Jackson)
  • Thing is... Has Wiggins been so bad at Left-Midfield in Pre-Season so far that we should write him off in that position (remember the players are concentrating on fitness rather than finesse at the moment) especially when he's the best of both worlds, i.e. can get forward and put in a good cross but also gives you the added security when supporting Fox in Defence.

When you first hear it, having Fox at LB and Wiggins at LM doesnt sound too bad... You can then have Holmes-Dennis / Harriott as backup.

If we do sign another Left-Midfielder maybe try Wiggins in that slot against Bolton regardless, would certainly give them something to ponder when play them in the league.

After all the last player who started at Left-Back and then moved to Left-Mid didnt do too badly in either position to begin with (i.e. Jackson)

I'm sure Big Bad Bob tried Wiggins at Left Midfield last pre-season too?
  • Hasn't Wiggins been playing as a wing back in a 5-3-2/3-5-2?
  • edited July 2015
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/lee-turner-charlton-goalkeeping-coach-2547844.aspx

Now on OS that Turner has joined.

I know the coaches/CEO are abroad but would just one quote on what a great coach he is/why we've appointed him have been possible?

Not a dig at George or the Comms team.
  • http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/lee-turner-charlton-goalkeeping-coach-2547844.aspx

Now on OS that Turner has joined.

I know the coaches/CEO are abroad but would just one quote on what a great coach he is/why we've appointed him have been possible?

Not a dig at George or the Comms team.

maybe they have not been informed yet ;-))

I said this when Wiggins was on fire that he was one of our best options as a winger. He has pace, was excellent at beating his man and had decent delivery. I think he is worth persevering with. He can fill in as full back when a centre half goes forward and can stay back at corners as he has the pace. Really hope he stays personally

• Cawley Tweeting Hendo,jackson,solly,wiggins and THD set to play at dulwich on saturday.I wonder why they wont be involved against St Truiden?

I'm with you on this. IMO we need another 8 or 9 players.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!